Poop trucks of Dubai

noddy

Poop trucks of Dubai

Post by noddy »

Amazingly, Dubai doesn't have a sewage infrastructure to support its skyscrapers, including the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. Drivers said they'd been queuing for three days! Unsurprising then, that many dump their loads into storm drains that lead directly to the open sea. Tourists are warned of the risk of contracting serious illnesses like typhoid and hepatitis if swimming on Dubai beaches.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=31361

for balance against my anti sewer rant .. in a modern hi rise situation its a tad different to semi rural detached housing.
ultracrepidarian
Ibrahim

Re: Poop trucks of Dubai

Post by Ibrahim »

Dubai is such a joke.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

One could say it is a crappy place.

:)
Censorship isn't necessary
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

Mind boggling.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:Amazingly, Dubai doesn't have a sewage infrastructure to support its skyscrapers, including the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. Drivers said they'd been queuing for three days! Unsurprising then, that many dump their loads into storm drains that lead directly to the open sea. Tourists are warned of the risk of contracting serious illnesses like typhoid and hepatitis if swimming on Dubai beaches.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=31361

for balance against my anti sewer rant .. in a modern hi rise situation its a tad different to semi rural detached housing.

Thank you Very Much for your post, Noddy.

To be fair to Dubai, we/US are having slightly similar sewer problem..........
I am reminded of a quote Donald Kingsbury wrote into his SF novel "Courtship Rite"

When a "Priest" (ruling class member) was asked why he and his fellow Priests were so obsessed with land, the Priest replied "Somebody has to worry about sewage treatment"............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtship_Rite
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Ibrahim wrote:Dubai is such a joke.
Indeed. One could say they built towers on sand, but I could come up with an earthier metaphor.

The whole point of Dubai is to be a place for the corrupt to park their cash -- in the form of empty towers with no sewers.

They would have been better off cutting a deal with their local taxation authorities.
cultivate a white rose
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

I've read stories of this ilk about many cities my whole life. I wonder what the point is except "ha ha, poor suckers." Detroit, Mumbai, Baltimore, Rio, New Orleans, and Moscow are the favorite targets, and if you don't live there and therefore its not your problem I'm never sure what you're supposed to do with the information.

I guess Dubai is a little more pathetic because it wasn't there before and is already half a ghost town, so it was viable for like 4 years.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the difference with those cities is they are old and formed adhoc over time so their isnt a daftness per se in the fact they dont have sewers... its a different thing.

when starting from scratch in a modern context with a budget big enough to build the biggest and craziest buildings in the world, its an absurdity.
ultracrepidarian
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:the difference with those cities is they are old and formed adhoc over time so their isnt a daftness per se in the fact they dont have sewers... its a different thing.

when starting from scratch in a modern context with a budget big enough to build the biggest and craziest buildings in the world, its an absurdity.

Actually contractors intentionally install non-functioning water and sewer hookups to new developments in Mumbai so that the locals will have to pay for similar services. The government contracts to have the sewers built, but the actual contractors are in collusion with the private water and sewage firms. So its the same problem in an ancient city to to corruption. I'm not sure the same thing didn't take place in Dubai, but without the pretense of even trying to build sewers.

But my point stands, there's no real angle to local stories of this type.