Muslim Civil Societies

NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Muslim Civil Societies

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Point is, what I'm getting at, is

Honor Killing, Slavery, burning (alive) the wife with (the deceased) husband, (male and) female circumcision, donating female virginity to temple (to be sold in Piraeus to sailors) and and and, "tribal tradition and rituals" , existed (and exist) for many many thousand of years, well B4 any religion we know of today, let alone Islam or Christianity of Judaism or or or

The real question is not this

Real question, if you want to "stick it to Islam", is , why Islam or Christianity "did not" forbid and considered Slavery a SIN .. that the real question

When Judaism, Christianity and Islam, each of them at their own time frame, were taking shape, to claim moral high ground (their main tenet) they had to condemn Slavery and G_D (supposedly) created all humans FREE, no such thing as offspring of slave being "born slave"

That should be discussed here and not bashing Islam (and ignoring Christian and Judaism saying same about Slavery) based either on popular anti Middle Eastern Zionist propaganda or illiterate about historical facts

Fact that Abrahamite religions did not condemn Slavery (that existed for 1000s of years before them) says a lot about them

2B fair, I must admit I do not know what Zoroastrianism position was re Slavery, but, as Persian empire never had slavery (institutionalized or any other form, not to be mistaken with "prisoners of war" as they prisoners and not merchandise to be bought and sold as slaves were)

Come on, Azari.

This isn't a negative about Persia but you are pulling our legs when you attempt to define the prisoners of war of Cyrus's Persia as outside slavery.

To say Persia never had slavery, institutionalized or otherwise, is false.

We know Cyrus banned slavery; but there is not a satisfying answer whether his successors actually honored this decree. (I'm thinking of Xerxes in particular,) and of course the later Arsacid and Sassanid dynasties were feudal societies, so slaves would not have been very useful.

And of course we aren't discussing the constant warfare of the Spartan against the Helots type of slavery; or the chattel variety either. We're talking Bardeh which very much existed.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.

Honor Killing, Slavery, burning (alive) the wife with (the deceased) husband, (male and) female circumcision, donating female virginity to temple (to be sold in Piraeus to sailors) and and and, "tribal tradition and rituals" , existed (and exist) for many many thousand of years, well B4 any religion we know of today, let alone Islam or Christianity of Judaism or or or

Real question, if you want to "stick it to Islam", is , why Islam or Christianity "did not" forbid and considered Slavery a SIN .. that the real question

When Judaism, Christianity and Islam, each of them at their own time frame, were taking shape, to claim moral high ground (their main tenet) they had to condemn Slavery and G_D (supposedly) created all humans FREE, no such thing as offspring of slave being "born slave"

That should be discussed here and not bashing Islam (and ignoring Christian and Judaism saying same about Slavery) based either on popular anti Middle Eastern Zionist propaganda or illiterate about historical facts

Fact that Abrahamite religions did not condemn Slavery (that existed for 1000s of years before them) says a lot about them

2B fair, I must admit I do not know what Zoroastrianism position was re Slavery, but, as Persian empire never had slavery (institutionalized or any other form, not to be mistaken with "prisoners of war" as they prisoners and not merchandise to be bought and sold as slaves were)

Come on, Azari.

This isn't a negative about Persia but you are pulling our legs when you attempt to define the prisoners of war of Cyrus's Persia as outside slavery.

To say Persia never had slavery, institutionalized or otherwise, is false.

We know Cyrus banned slavery; but there is not a satisfying answer whether his successors actually honored this decree. (I'm thinking of Xerxes in particular,) and of course the later Arsacid and Sassanid dynasties were feudal societies, so slaves would not have been very useful.

And of course we aren't discussing the constant warfare of the Spartan against the Helots type of slavery; or the chattel variety either. We're talking Bardeh which very much existed.

"NapLajoieonSteroids" , thank you for your (friendly) reply

Sorry for answering your post together with this post from Alexis

Looks to me, you and Alexis mean different thing under "slavery" than Azari thinks .. your and my definition of Slavery fundamentally different

Slavery was an "institution", ownership, title registry, rules and laws governing that ownership and many other legal aspects of it

Prisoners were not Slaves, as long as they were not sold into slavery .. when in the war prisoners were taken, or whole cities were attacked and rubbed for a few days after the war (conqueror revenge) , humans were taken prisoner and sold to Slave Merchants .. those Slaves became
a Chattel, like cars, horses, and and and .. there was laws and rules for Slaves .. it was like owning a house or owning a horse or today owning a car .. they were bought, sold, traded and cared for like cattle & horse, they were LIVESTOCK

Not so Prisoners (of wars)

In that sense .. Persia never had "institutionalized" slavery, with rules and laws governing them .. prisoners of wars were not sold to Slave merchants (as there were no slave merchant in Persia) and into slavery .. because there was no such thing as slave in Persia (what you call BARDEH)

Pre Islamic Persia .. was a CAST society .. nobility cast, Zoroastrian priest cast, farmers cast and and .. but , unlike Rome or Greece or Macedonia, there was no Slave (cast) .. all inhabitants of Persian empire, whether Pomegranates, phoneticians, Israel, Asia Minor were all free

Answering Azrael, one must know, after Arab invasion of Persia, for 1200 yrs, all rulers of Persia were not Pomegranates .. Tchingiz Khan and sons ruled Persia for 100s of yrs, Turkic tribes ruled Persia for 800 yrs, most of them, Monguls, Ghajar, Safavid and and and, did not even speak Persian and it took 100s of years until they were Persianized .. AND .. Azrael, even despite all this, Iran never had a Slavery so it could not be abolished as you post .. what happened is (and I said that a yr ago here) that Arab tribes in southern Persia that were under British control (though Persian territory) had sometimes Slave and when Iran took control of that space (from Brits), Iran forbid holding slaves

There was a reason that Greek Historian Xenophon lived in Persia and not Greece

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Very good Az, I agree. Goes for all, many "Christians" do things that are not Christian, outsiders then begin to associate with Christianity.

Same also with Islam.

Some say "unfair" (probably true) but best course going forward is to eradicate those practices, whether you Christian or Muslim.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Aside from the rather unsubstantiated assertion that this is a "practice" that a) originates with Islam,

Read my posts again, I said the opposite of this. In fact I said, "It's UNFAIR to associate honor killings to Islam as if it Islam originated it.
Yet you link it to Islamic culture and society, and even ask why there is no effort to curb it, all of which is incorrect. Calling someone a murderer is not offset by pointing out that the person didn't invent murder.

As for the relation to "marrying parallel cousins," and the articles you linked to that effect, I'm not convinced that there is a causal relationship there, even if there is a coincidence. It is of no relevance to the infamous cases I'm familiar with.

b) spread with Islam,

Which it seems to have done, I think it's hard to argue against that.

Well you would need to know if it was practiced in these places prior to their conversion, would you not? And even then you would have to demonstrate a causal relationship.

c) is "social norm,"

Seems that a lot of people are A-okay with the practice, and find it justifiable.

You posted numbers claiming the contrary in from a number of Islamic countries (e.g. Indonesia), and again we are using the opinion poll as scientific evidence. Actual incidents would be the only useful measurement, and the idea that "Muslims" as a group think this is a justifiable activity is simply ridiculous and offensive. Such claims would need to be so hemmed in by geography, education, and social class that the generalized label would be meaningless.

and d) is related to "marrying parallel cousins," which you allege is itself an Islamic norm,
Never alleged that, don't lie. I couldn't make it clearer that it was a social norm for the areas where Islam originated. Parallel Cousin Marriage predates Islam, it has been practiced in Syria and Israel for a long time- spread into Arabia and went from there.
Far from being a lie, you call into question what you even meant in the first place. The question isn't where it originated, but whether or not it is a part of Islamic culture. As with "honor killings."

I'm sure we could follow a similar pattern in Southern India, but this is not a discussion on India.
You raised India as an example.

you are ignoring the fact that the "practice" of honor killing as you call it is illegal everywhere, even in countries which claim to be governed by the most extreme interpretations of sharia law (e.g. Saudi Arabia).

Legal=/=Social, and I'm not ignoring it
You asked "why doesn't Islam temper it?" and I point out that it is illegal in all Islamic countries. This is a simple answer to your question. Islam does not just temper it, in outlaws it. And even if somebody (say, the Taliban when they take over Afganistan again) were to legalize it I would still argue that it was inherently un-Islamic and the majority of the Islamic world agreed with me on that point.

I've never seen it justified as a legal act, so it is fraudulent to claim that there is no effort to temper it.
Legal and social are two different things.
This is an irrelevant statement. What laws a society enacts is clearly evidence of the ethics and ideals of that society, even if "laws" and "society" are two different things.

Again, this is grossly misleading, not only because it has not been demonstrated that this is an accepted Islamic practice, but also because you've already acknowledged that other groups engage in it.

No, this is another prevarication on your part. I don't need to demonstrate it as an accepted Islamic practice because I am not trying to prove it was an "Islamic" practice.
Mere semantics. You are arguing that this practice is a part of Islamic culture, and you also imply with your question that Islamic countries don't do anything to prevent it, which is clearly false.

But it is practiced in the Middle East (as well as Southern India)
This is not being questioned.

And of course this still has nothing to do with civil society or the alleged premise of this thread.
Normally, when someone says something in favor of the position another person holds (ie me bringing up that Taboo's incorrect in asserting that Islam has something to do with honor killings, ) that person usually doesn't waste energy attacking and grossly misrepresenting what was said.
I find the majority of what you wrote in this thread objectionable, for the reasons I've described. I can't speak to your intentions or what you meant to say.

I thought it important to the conversation and an interesting point, considering the insinuation that Muslim countries are inherently barbaric as if they invented honor killings.

My questions are relevant though- why hasn't Islam tempered this practice?
This question itself is the most problematic element of your entire participation in this thread. The practice is outlawed in all Islamic countries. Anecdotally I've never heard of anyone who wasn't revolted by the idea of it. Yet you imply that there is no effort to prevent the practice and that it is widely accepted. This is the same post-9/11 game of finding the most backwards Taliban example and defining it as normative "Muslim" behavior. Perhaps your intentions were entirely good in engaging in this subject but you are still perpetuating stereotypes.

And again, I ask how groups like the Druze and Maronites handle the issue.....I don't know, for all I know they are the biggest practitioners of honor killings....
Nobody has answered this question, probably because nobody knows. You'll have to do some research on this and get back to us.

But most pertinently, it certainly is on topic, because the way a family is treated says a lot about the civil society that is going to be formed.
Then surely you subscribe to my earlier objection to Sam Harris' premise (which Taboo brought up again in this thread): if we are to judge civil societies by the standard of how they treat minority groups and women then there have been no "civil societies" in all of human history prior to sometime in the 1960's. If that's the standard we are agreeing upon then perhaps we can move forward and point out places that do and don't have "civil societies," though even then the original claim is still laughable because I can certainly find some Muslims somewhere practicing "civil society" as nicely as any Scandinavian atheist, though perhaps not in rural Egypt.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Betting Odds: Betting the Perp is Muslim is the way to bet..

Post by monster_gardener »

Ibrahim wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Aside from the rather unsubstantiated assertion that this is a "practice" that a) originates with Islam,

Read my posts again, I said the opposite of this. In fact I said, "It's UNFAIR to associate honor killings to Islam as if it Islam originated it.
Yet you link it to Islamic culture and society, and even ask why there is no effort to curb it, all of which is incorrect. Calling someone a murderer is not offset by pointing out that the person didn't invent murder.

As for the relation to "marrying parallel cousins," and the articles you linked to that effect, I'm not convinced that there is a causal relationship there, even if there is a coincidence. It is of no relevance to the infamous cases I'm familiar with.

b) spread with Islam,

Which it seems to have done, I think it's hard to argue against that.

Well you would need to know if it was practiced in these places prior to their conversion, would you not? And even then you would have to demonstrate a causal relationship.

c) is "social norm,"

Seems that a lot of people are A-okay with the practice, and find it justifiable.

You posted numbers claiming the contrary in from a number of Islamic countries (e.g. Indonesia), and again we are using the opinion poll as scientific evidence. Actual incidents would be the only useful measurement, and the idea that "Muslims" as a group think this is a justifiable activity is simply ridiculous and offensive. Such claims would need to be so hemmed in by geography, education, and social class that the generalized label would be meaningless.

and d) is related to "marrying parallel cousins," which you allege is itself an Islamic norm,
Never alleged that, don't lie. I couldn't make it clearer that it was a social norm for the areas where Islam originated. Parallel Cousin Marriage predates Islam, it has been practiced in Syria and Israel for a long time- spread into Arabia and went from there.
Far from being a lie, you call into question what you even meant in the first place. The question isn't where it originated, but whether or not it is a part of Islamic culture. As with "honor killings."

I'm sure we could follow a similar pattern in Southern India, but this is not a discussion on India.
You raised India as an example.

you are ignoring the fact that the "practice" of honor killing as you call it is illegal everywhere, even in countries which claim to be governed by the most extreme interpretations of sharia law (e.g. Saudi Arabia).

Legal=/=Social, and I'm not ignoring it
You asked "why doesn't Islam temper it?" and I point out that it is illegal in all Islamic countries. This is a simple answer to your question. Islam does not just temper it, in outlaws it. And even if somebody (say, the Taliban when they take over Afganistan again) were to legalize it I would still argue that it was inherently un-Islamic and the majority of the Islamic world agreed with me on that point.

I've never seen it justified as a legal act, so it is fraudulent to claim that there is no effort to temper it.
Legal and social are two different things.
This is an irrelevant statement. What laws a society enacts is clearly evidence of the ethics and ideals of that society, even if "laws" and "society" are two different things.

Again, this is grossly misleading, not only because it has not been demonstrated that this is an accepted Islamic practice, but also because you've already acknowledged that other groups engage in it.

No, this is another prevarication on your part. I don't need to demonstrate it as an accepted Islamic practice because I am not trying to prove it was an "Islamic" practice.
Mere semantics. You are arguing that this practice is a part of Islamic culture, and you also imply with your question that Islamic countries don't do anything to prevent it, which is clearly false.

But it is practiced in the Middle East (as well as Southern India)
This is not being questioned.

And of course this still has nothing to do with civil society or the alleged premise of this thread.
Normally, when someone says something in favor of the position another person holds (ie me bringing up that Taboo's incorrect in asserting that Islam has something to do with honor killings, ) that person usually doesn't waste energy attacking and grossly misrepresenting what was said.
I find the majority of what you wrote in this thread objectionable, for the reasons I've described. I can't speak to your intentions or what you meant to say.

I thought it important to the conversation and an interesting point, considering the insinuation that Muslim countries are inherently barbaric as if they invented honor killings.

My questions are relevant though- why hasn't Islam tempered this practice?
This question itself is the most problematic element of your entire participation in this thread. The practice is outlawed in all Islamic countries. Anecdotally I've never heard of anyone who wasn't revolted by the idea of it. Yet you imply that there is no effort to prevent the practice and that it is widely accepted. This is the same post-9/11 game of finding the most backwards Taliban example and defining it as normative "Muslim" behavior. Perhaps your intentions were entirely good in engaging in this subject but you are still perpetuating stereotypes.

And again, I ask how groups like the Druze and Maronites handle the issue.....I don't know, for all I know they are the biggest practitioners of honor killings....
Nobody has answered this question, probably because nobody knows. You'll have to do some research on this and get back to us.

But most pertinently, it certainly is on topic, because the way a family is treated says a lot about the civil society that is going to be formed.
Then surely you subscribe to my earlier objection to Sam Harris' premise (which Taboo brought up again in this thread): if we are to judge civil societies by the standard of how they treat minority groups and women then there have been no "civil societies" in all of human history prior to sometime in the 1960's. If that's the standard we are agreeing upon then perhaps we can move forward and point out places that do and don't have "civil societies," though even then the original claim is still laughable because I can certainly find some Muslims somewhere practicing "civil society" as nicely as any Scandinavian atheist, though perhaps not in rural Egypt.

Thank You Very Much for your post, Ibrahim.

Bottom Line Time........

If one hears of an honor killing in the news and does not know the name or religion of the perps, how should one bet and at what odds if offered a bet that the perps of the murder were:

1. Atheists
2. Buddhists
3. Christians
4. Hindus
5. Muslims
6. Sikhs

My advice would be to be that the perps were not Atheists or Buddhists or Christians, at least Western Christians.........

If the murder was by fire and the perp a female MILF :twisted: or older, then bet Hindu .........

If by knife, gun or drowning especially if in Canadian canals or Saudi swimming pools and especially if the perp was the younger brother or father of the victim, then vote Muslim as a first choice, Sikh as a second........

One source at the link below says that two thirds of the honor killings in Europe are done by Muslims..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing

So sure, not all are Muslims, But that's the way to bet.......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

Very good Az, I agree. Goes for all, many "Christians" do things that are not Christian, outsiders then begin to associate with Christianity.

Same also with Islam.

Some say "unfair" (probably true) but best course going forward is to eradicate those practices, whether you Christian or Muslim.

Thanx MP

Yes, things must change

2B clear, I am not against religion .. IMVHO, humans need a "moral code" in life, AND, same goes for the society, meaning society too needs a (universal) moral code that, in all stages that a society goes through, guides the behavior of that civilization and culture, no matter nation in down cycle or up cycle .. that "code" one could call Religion, something that an individual AND society believes in .. if so, Hitler, Churchill, Hiroshima, Vietnam, Abu Gharib and and would not have happened because there was a NATURAL barrier in the society and individual preventing those things .. that is why I say and say Iranian religion is RUMI, because all those giants of Persian literature had only one subject and that was HUMANITY .. Persian "moral code" is RUMI .. you go in most remote villages and to make a point they will cite a verse from Rumi to make their point (even if illiterate - meaning they get RUMI with milk of the mother)

Present, so called, religions, neither (Arab) Islam nor (RCC) Christianism NOR (Zionism) Judaism in reality religions, but "special interest" (some criminal) scams

monster_gardener

Burmese Buddhists, Muslims and Refugees

Here they burn Muslims alive (+18)

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.

What is going on in Burma is sad, wrong and against the teaching of the Buddha.

Buddhist Monks should not be leading violent mobs.

Burmese Secular authorities should be prosecuting crimes by Muslims against Buddhists and Buddhists against Muslims be they citizens, stateless or refugees rather than having vigilantes levying revenge....

That said, I would advise Muslims to leave Burma for some Muslim land just as I would advise Christians in many places in the Middle East to leave......

Depraved Sinful Egotistical Chaos Monkeys will find almost any excuse to harass and kill each other with religious differences being a popular one..

And I would advise non-Muslim lands NOT to accept Muslim refugees except in exceptional individual cases such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali and vetted people who want to leave the culture of the old country behind.

There are too many examples of Muslims immigrants and refugees acting badly in host non Muslim countries from ancient Afghanistan to in modern times Mullar Krekar telling the Westerners who took him and others in as refugees that soon the Muslims will rule in the West to the Moroccan murderer of Theo Van Gogh to the Bastard Boston Bombing Brothers Tamerlan and Djokar.

Too often the refugees bring the incompatible culture of the old country with them as the Canadian Canal Murderers did, if they are not actively working to sabotage the West as the Muslim terrorist father of Tina Isa was doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_kill ... estina_Isa

Best that Muslims live in Muslim lands and vis versa...........

And ideally lands separated by light years.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yet you link it to Islamic culture and society, and even ask why there is no effort to curb it, all of which is incorrect.[/quote]

There seems to be some miscommunication here. The 'it' I was referring to was parallel cousin marriages.

The 'it" wasn't the honor killings themselves. Since you do not see the causation and the correlation, I really don't think there is much more to be discussed on that front. (Though I'd say in the most marmish way possible that when you say that the causation must be demonstrated, you can't demonstrate causation, only understand it...then I'd smirk just to be ultra-smug. ;). )

As for those other groups and doing research, I am tempted. I know that honor killings happen among the Yemeni Jews, and from a cursory gloss through google, they do indeed occur in the Druze and Maronite communities where patrilineal parallel cousin marriage takes place. However, how accurate and (unpropaganidized) the information on the latter groups are, I do not know in the same sense as I am aware of the former.

EDIT: And just to further elaborate- though I''m leaning heavy on this correlation, it goes without saying that I believe honor killings are an inevitable outcome of parallel cousin marriages. I'm sure most go on without incident.
monster_gardener

Fun to Have Middle Eastern version Snapped/NRA Armed Citizen

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Yet you link it to Islamic culture and society, and even ask why there is no effort to curb it, all of which is incorrect.
There seems to be some miscommunication here. The 'it' I was referring to was parallel cousin marriages.

The 'it" wasn't the honor killings themselves. Since you do not see the causation and the correlation, I really don't think there is much more to be discussed on that front. (Though I'd say in the most marmish way possible that when you say that the causation must be demonstrated, you can't demonstrate causation, only understand it...then I'd smirk just to be ultra-smug. ;). )

As for those other groups and doing research, I am tempted. I know that honor killings happen among the Yemeni Jews, and from a cursory gloss through google, they do indeed occur in the Druze and Maronite communities where patrilineal parallel cousin marriage takes place. However, how accurate and (unpropaganidized) the information on the latter groups are, I do not know in the same sense as I am aware of the former.

EDIT: And just to further elaborate- though I''m leaning heavy on this correlation, it goes without saying that I believe honor killings are an inevitable outcome of parallel cousin marriages. I'm sure most go on without incident.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Nap.
I'm sure most go on without incident.
I agree but think it might be fun to see that change...... ;) :twisted:

Would love to read about an honor killing or bride burning where the victim bested the perps in detail resulting in dead or maimed fathers, brothers, mothers and mothers in law (India)

Know that would be difficult.........

3 times armed is he/she whose cause is just
4 times armed is he/she who gets his/her fist in fust ;) :twisted: :roll:

But remembering Ibrahim's post about those armed Kurdish women in Syria........

Who seem to have learned "The Gospel of the Good Gun"

Who have given up on marriage.....

At least the traditional ME often parallel cousin marriage........

But there are other forms of marriage that might be applicable to their situation if they discover them......

Recalling reading about Navaho marriages with matrilineal descent where the "husband" moves in with his wife's family but the important male(s) for the kids is/are the brother(s) of the wife........

If there are problems the man moves back with his sisters and leaves the kids behind.........

Advantage for men is having nephews and nieces guaranteed to be related to the male rather than sons and daughters who might be the product of cheating and thus kerfuffles :twisted: like honor killing

Imagining it getting even more radical....

Recalling the Amazons: boyfriends as needed...........

Kurds practice FGM but AIUI FGM is usually done by the women to the girls.......

Just like the Amazons who are reputed to have practiced pectoral ;) FGM........
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Yet you link it to Islamic culture and society, and even ask why there is no effort to curb it, all of which is incorrect.

The 'it" wasn't the honor killings themselves.[/quote]

You link the two though, so this distinction is of little consequence.

Since you do not see the causation and the correlation, I really don't think there is much more to be discussed on that front.
I said correlation wasn't causation, not that there was no correlation. The overlap here is due more to who practices both of these customs, not that one causes the other.

Well this is my general attitude to the question of "honor killings." The most common factors will be education and geography. Insofar as they happen in immigrant communities it is among chiefly among people who left those settings, and it is exceedingly rare in any case. More to the ostensible topic of the thread, it is not tolerated by the civil society, except perhaps in the very specific rural communities, and even then it is illegal.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Fun to Have Middle Eastern version Snapped/NRA Armed Cit

monster_gardener wrote:
But there are other forms of marriage that might be applicable to their situation if they discover them......

Recalling reading about Navaho marriages with matrilineal descent where the "husband" moves in with his wife's family but the important male(s) for the kids is/are the brother(s) of the wife........

If there are problems the man moves back with his sisters and leaves the kids behind.........

Advantage for men is having nephews and nieces guaranteed to be related to the male rather than sons and daughters who might be the product of cheating and thus kerfuffles :twisted: like honor killing

Imagining it getting even more radical....

Recalling the Amazons: boyfriends as needed...........

Kurds practice FGM but AIUI FGM is usually done by the women to the girls.......

Just like the Amazons who are reputed to have practiced pectoral ;) FGM........

Thanks for bringing up these other examples. People organize in the most fascinating ways and around the most bizarre practices.

I was under the impression FGM, where it is practiced, is always done by the females to other females.

When I was in school, an anthropology course I took, the professor invited in a few women from a north african tribe who practiced female genital mutilation. The professor was rather blase about it. To be honest, 19 year old me wasn't really interested in it and a lot of what they said went in one ear and out the other, but that is one of the things I definitely remember....
Ibrahim

Re: Fun to Have Middle Eastern version Snapped/NRA Armed Cit

Post by Ibrahim »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I was under the impression FGM, where it is practiced, is always done by the females to other females.
From what I've read on the subject (just articles in news magazines for the most part) it is women who decide whether or not to have it done to their daughters, but they tend to contract theoretically trained professionals to do the actual procedure. There is no religious rite associated with it at all, since none exists for the purpose. I read a blog entry by a Somalian university student in the US (or maybe Canada, I forget) who spoke of how it was randomly done to her peers in the new immigrant community. Among East African girls, some had undergone the procedure, others not, based on the whims of their mothers, almost all of whom had themselves undergone the procedure. None plan to continue the tradition. It is, of course, illegal, both there and here, so I shudder to think of the people performing the operations.

Historically this practice seems to originate with the Nubians, and the ancient Egyptians circa 1500BCE wrote about it with the same "ew, what gross hicks" tone that we have today. The practice persisted among the rural traditional community, even after the conversion to Islam or, less commonly, Christianity, but seems to die out relatively quickly outside of that village context.
monster_gardener

Reform can mean better but don't count on it.

Ibrahim wrote:
Marcus wrote:Islam must be and will be reformed.
A meaningless statement.
Thank you Very Much for your posts, Ibrahim & Marcus.

IMVHO actually it is a rather optimistic statement.......

Maybe too optimistic........

Reform often involves allegedly getting back to the original.........

IIRC isn't that what the Salafi "fundamentalists" contend that they are doing with Islam?

And if the original was a bad actor ;) :twisted: among other things ;) .......... :roll:

Of course in the case the case of Islam, worse did follow Mohammed, particularly Ghalazi and his awful atrocity justifying Occasionalism and his instructions to Muslims on how to run their worse than the Mafia protection racket plus the injunction that a Muslim should go on a raid against Muslims at least once a year....

So maybe a reformed Islam might be an improvement if it jettisons some accretions on Mohammed but don't count on it..........
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Couldn't think of a better thread to file this under.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 76229.html
To Sharia or not to Sharia: The question of Islamopolitics
Islam does not seek to turn its adherents into a monolithic group, but instead celebrates diversity and pluralism.
Mohamed Ghilan

The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life recently released their latest results from a survey of Muslims around the world on religion, politics and society. Although there is wide variability, it seems that most Muslims want Sharia (Islamic Law) to be the governing law of their countries and to play an important role in the political process. However, although the majority of Muslims agree on the general principle of applying Sharia, they do not seem to agree on what that term means. Given the diversity of understanding and sources one can be exposed to in the Islamic tradition, this disagreement should not come as a surprise.

A romanticised history leading to failed reality

Although valid religious reasons might be cited from average Muslims for the desire of Sharia, the lack of Islamic education and awareness about how Sharia operates raises a flag to dig deeper into their motives. Children in the Muslim world are typically exposed to a romanticised and utopic historical account of how Muslims of the past were. It is an image of saints walking upon the Earth fulfilling the commandments of God and striving for more self-purification, while at the same time studying the world and contributing to science and the advancement of human knowledge at a miraculous rate. They are taught that Muslims today have strayed away so far from Islamic teachings that God is punishing them by depriving them from what the West has accomplished.

What has been lost on Muslims today is the methodology of "how" to be a Muslim. In selling their hypothetical utopia of the days that have passed, those who teach Islamic history in the Muslim world have inadvertently switched the focus from how one can be a practising Muslim who contributes to the greater good of society, to focusing on attempts to replicate the exact way past Muslims supposedly lived. Hence, many Muslims today are working hard to bring about quantum mechanical speculations to reality and take everyone back in time away from "evil" modernity. One way they do this is through advancing their various versions of Islamopolitics.

Winston Churchill said that "tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip". This tact is exemplified in the contemporary experience of the failure of Islamopolitics in Sudan. As Nesrine Malik pointed out last year in response to another oppressive act of the Sudanese government in the name of Sharia, Islamic rhetoric in politics was initially "a way of paying lip service to religion for the government to gain legitimacy". She mentioned how this false cloak of religiosity now serves as a "potent tool that allows the government to apply punishment harshly (but inconsistently) whenever it feels the need... to invoke the emotive power of religious offence".

Aside from siphoning as much as $9bn out of the impoverished country, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir is also charged with the Darfur genocide where he is accused of trying to wipe out three non-Arab ethnic groups. The propaganda machine al-Bashir employed to recruit young men to commit these atrocities based its message on a call for Jihad. This is the consequence of an Islamopolitical movement's rise to fame and popularity, then to power, and finally to hegemony and oppression in the name of religion.

Misunderstanding Sharia

The situation as it stands today is not a positive one. Not only do many Muslims have a caricatured conception of different political models, they have also done a disservice to Islam by presenting a caricatured simpleton image of what in reality is a rich and very complex tradition. As the author of Islam and the Destiny of Man Charles le Gai Eaton would put it, Islam has become a "Boy Scout religion" where one simply opens up the book of rules and implements them. Moreover, such a presentation of Islam has made it seem to be unable to address modernity.

Islam was never meant to be a prescribing force that dictates how society should be like. Rather, it acts as a filter that can be taken in various societies and seeks to eliminate ailments and celebrate their healthy aspects. In other words, Islam does not seek to turn its adherents into a monolithic group, but instead celebrates diversity and pluralism. Numerous verses in the Quran explicitly state this such as, "Another of His signs is the creation of the heavens and earth, and the diversity of your languages and colours. There truly are signs in this for those who know" [30:22].

Another verse states that God "made you into races and tribes so that you should get to know one another" [49:13]. Even when it comes to diversity of religions or an outright disbelief in God, the Islamic message is about asserting that people have the right to self-determination. In fact, according to Islamic ethos, belief is of no value if people do not have the freedom to disbelief.

In contrast to the Islamopolitical worldview, which sees that man was made for religion, the Islamic worldview asserts that religion was revealed for man, and this can be practically shown by way of an example. Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam and author who was at the forefront of the Ground Zero mosque controversy in New York, published a paper in the University of St Thomas Law Journal in which he systematically shows how the American Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and Constitution are all consistent with Islamic Law. What this paper shows is the fallacy of assuming Islam as something foreign to be brought in place of already existing paradigms.

In addition, it also confirms a statement Averroes - the 12th century Spanish Andalusian Muslim polymath - made about Sharia, which is that "God created the intellect and revealed the Sharia, and the two will not contradict". In fact, the attempts to ban Sharia law can be viewed as comical from an Islamic legal perspective because it would entail undermining one's own legal system and banning laws that are already in place.

Interestingly, the use of Islam as a platform with slogans and promises of a better tomorrow is not a permissible act according to the same Sharia these movements are calling for. Even if a slogan is changed in order for it not to carry a religious connotation, the presence of a religious name for a party like the "Muslim Brotherhood" poses a problem.

Within the first two pages of the Quran is a verse that says, "When it is said to them 'do not cause corruption in the land', they say, 'we are only putting things right', but really they are causing corruption, though they do not realise it" [2:11]. One of the insights from this verse noted by the commentators of the Quran is that we should always be weary of those making claims about rectifying current states. In Islamic history, whenever a political movement arose with the claims of "applying the rule of God", it was never a positive experience for the masses. For those that came under their dominion it was expected of them to walk a very thin line.

Many Muslims might object and exclaim that Islam is a complete way of life. However, the assertion of Islam being a "complete religion" and a "system" does not mean that it sets out specific details about every single aspect of life. If that were the case it would never be able to cope with progress and modernity. Rather, it comes with general prescriptions (as opposed to descriptions) that have objectives which things can be tailored for. The objection really stems from a lack of recognition of the distinction within Islamic Law that Muslim jurists have always recognised.

Islam can be generally divided into two branches: acts of worship and acts of worldly transactions. The acts of worship have indeed been set out in detail and the juristic principal that governs them for a Muslim is that all acts of worship are impermissible except those which have been prescribed by the Sharia to be performed. In contrast, the juristic principal governing the acts of worldly transactions is that all actions are permissible except those that have been singled out by the Sharia to be impermissible.

The relevance of the principal governing worldly transactions relates to the role humans must play in the world. As per the Islamic worldview, God did not create human beings with intellects so that they can turn them off and behave as automatons merely carrying out orders. Part of being in this world is using the intellect to deliberate, reflect and make choices that can later be reassessed in light of their consequences. Although some specifics are dictated, and general guidelines are given, human reason must play an active role during its presence in the world.

Islamic perspective on politics

Several Muslim jurists have written various works on the role of religion in politics. One of the best definitions for politics as understood in Islam is one given by the early jurist Ibn Aqeel (d 1119) who said:

Politics is whatever action that brings the people closer to rectification and further from destruction, even if it wasn't something dictated by the Prophet or no Revelation has come down regarding it.

One of most prolific and often-quoted jurists in the Islamic tradition (ironically more so by modern Saudi clerics than others) was Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya (d 1350) who pointed out a problem that continues to this day. He said:

The fault is not with the religion. Rather, it's with those who close every door to cultivating beneficial interests; investigating the higher objectives of the Sacred Law; reflecting on the consequences and priorities; and they constrict for people what God as expanded for them and they waste for them many benefits by their lack of understanding, stubbornness, and dogmatism. On the opposite extreme are those who disregard the Sacred Law completely, don't stop at the limits of God, don't restrict themselves to the Revelation, and turn religion into malleable dough in their hands to shape it into whatever form they see fit based on their egos, whims, and desires.

Raghib Isfahani (d 1108), a prominent Muslim philosopher and political theorist, divided politics into two types: the politics in which an individual deals with his own affairs, and the politics employed by an individual to manage the affairs of others. Ibn Khaldun (d 1406), quite possibly the most prominent Muslim political theorist and one of the pioneers in codifying the discipline of sociology, noted that proper adherence to religious principals elevates the people from tribalism and allows them to see beyond their own immediate interests. This is due to having an absolute reference point that they all must go back to. In other words, when everyone's focus transcends him or herself to an absolute higher power, only then can they overcome personal interests for a higher cause.

Islam versus Muslims

The human element must be brought to the forefront of this conversation. The way in which Islam is being considered the driving force behind Islamopolitical movements as if it is an autonomous agent removes accountability from the people within those movements. While their desire for economic and social reform is commendable, their approach is highly questionable.

After nearly a century of religious oppression by dictators, delegitimised Islamic institutions and romanticised historical accounts that at times may not be grounded in reality, all one has to do is organise an Islamopolitical party, and highly educated Muslims will go along with their delusion. Without economic, social and health care plans, and a deep understanding of how modern geopolitics operate, these parties will fail. But their failure will not be their own; in the minds of people it will be a failure of Islam.

Much of the supposed conflict Muslims view with regards to separation of religion and politics has more to do with a false perception in their minds than with an objective reality. It is also their knee-jerk reaction to reject anything non-Muslims do as if the quality of any action is judged by who carries it out. Sharia is an organic activity that involves human intellect.

The current struggle is between rationalist Muslims who want to bring forth the Islamic tradition in its complete spectrum and dogmatist Muslims who think classical political works written in completely different contextual realities have some divine quality or sanctity to them. More importantly, Muslims need to come to terms with the fact that progress is not going to come from political parties that exploit the population's emotional connection with Islam as a means to gain power.

Mohamed Ghilan is a neuroscience PhD candidate at the University of Victoria, Canada, and a student of Islamic jurisprudence.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Yemen's death row houses many children awaiting execution. Their stories of abuse and forced confessions are heart-wrenching. But now Yemen's Children's Parliament are calling their adult leaders to account.
qUo16UkIF0Q
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Rhapsody wrote:
Yemen's death row houses many children awaiting execution. Their stories of abuse and forced confessions are heart-wrenching. But now Yemen's Children's Parliament are calling their adult leaders to account.
qUo16UkIF0Q

They need to be freed so the US can kill them with drones.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 29979.html
"America’s actions are legal" claimed President Obama in a speech on drones earlier this year. It was the latest in a string of attempts made by his administration to justify covert strikes carried out by the US overseas - in countries including the Arab peninsula’s poorest nation, Yemen.

But back in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, it appears the country’s civil society disagrees. Members of Yemen’s National Dialogue Conference (NDC) - a US-supported initiative which will map out Yemen’s post-Arab Spring future - overwhelmingly voted to criminalise drone strikes in Yemen. The Yemeni people have spoken. Now Presidents Hadi and Obama must listen - for their own sake, as much as that of Yemen.

While it is clear that no leader may lawfully authorise another sovereign to slaughter his own people, the decision to criminalise drones strikes sends a clear warning message to Hadi - if the current practice is to continue, it may well lead to a criminal prosecution.
monster_gardener

Socialization Societies.........

Ibrahim wrote:
Rhapsody wrote:
qUo16UkIF0Q

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 29979.html
"America’s actions are legal" claimed President Obama in a speech on drones earlier this year. It was the latest in a string of attempts made by his administration to justify covert strikes carried out by the US overseas - in countries including the Arab peninsula’s poorest nation, Yemen.

But back in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, it appears the country’s civil society disagrees. Members of Yemen’s National Dialogue Conference (NDC) - a US-supported initiative which will map out Yemen’s post-Arab Spring future - overwhelmingly voted to criminalise drone strikes in Yemen. The Yemeni people have spoken. Now Presidents Hadi and Obama must listen - for their own sake, as much as that of Yemen.

While it is clear that no leader may lawfully authorise another sovereign to slaughter his own people, the decision to criminalise drones strikes sends a clear warning message to Hadi - if the current practice is to continue, it may well lead to a criminal prosecution.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Ibrahim.
Actually no......

IIRC originally this post had you complaining that no one really cared about these human kittens and especially didn't want them dirtying up the streets of my friend Rhapsody's Europe.........

Kittenhood is the ideal time to socialize both cat and human kittens.........

I really have no problem with Christian and other suitable non-Islamic adoption agencies/socialization societies trying to rescue and de-meme ;) young Middle Eastern kittens/children for socialization and placement in the non-Muslim world......

It's the Meme and NOT the Gene that usually causes the problem......

You have mentioned that in Canada, joining the Sikhs is the fastest road to the Middle Class and I rather admire some aspects of the Sikh religion though I don't am not keen on their hair ;) but that is minor...... OK for them but not for me.......

I like their idea of NEVER being disarmed.......

IMHO changing names would be important......... Like Muslim converts often do but in reverse..... ;)

Mohammed to Michael.......

For Sikh Socialization Societies change the name from Selim to Singh ;) ...... and I ain't a Lion ;) about that..........

BTW this is not an original idea.......

The Native American Indians tried it with Uz, sometimes with spectacular success....... Just didn't do it enough..........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Gents, the video is about children on death row (objection 1) and for crimes they perhaps not even committed (objection 2) or for crimes/misconduct that does not deserve such severe punishment, not even detention (objection 3).

The heart warming news in the video being that children, helped by adults, stand up for those children and their rights.
monster_gardener

The Stray Cat's Prayer.......

Parodite wrote:Gents, the video is about children on death row (objection 1) and for crimes they perhaps not even committed (objection 2) or for crimes/misconduct that does not deserve such severe punishment, not even detention (objection 3).

The heart warming news in the video being that children, helped by adults, stand up for those children and their rights.
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Rhapsody Parodite.
Gents, the video is about children on death row (objection 1) and for crimes they perhaps not even committed (objection 2) or for crimes/misconduct that does not deserve such severe punishment, not even detention (objection 3).
That happens too often to cat persons and dog persons too........ :cry: :roll:
STRAY CAT'S PRAYER

Dear God, please send me somebody who'll care!
I'm so tired of running and sick with despair.
My body is aching and filled with such pain;
And dear God I pray, as I run in the rain
That someone will love me and give me a home,
A warm cozy bed, and food of my own.
My last owner left me alone in the yard...
I watched as they moved, and God that was hard.
So I waited a while, then went on my way
To rummage in garbage and live as a stray.
But now, God, I'm so tired and hungry and cold;
And I'm so afraid that I'll never grow old.
They've chased me with sticks and hit me with straps
While I run the streets just looking for scraps!
I'm not really bad, God, please help if you can,
For I have become just a "Victim of Man!"
I'm wormy, dear God, and I'm ridden with fleas;
And all that I want is an Owner to please!
If you find one for me, God, I'll try to be good.
I won't scratch the carpet; I'll do as I should.
I'll love them, play with them, and try to obey.
I will be so grateful if they'll let me stay!
I don't think I'll make it too long on my own,
'Cause I'm getting weak and I'm so all alone.
Each night as I sleep in the bushes I cry,
'Cause I'm so afraid, God, that I'm gonna die.
I've got so much love and devotion to give
That I should be given a new chance to Live!
So dear God, please hear me, please answer my prayer,
And send me somebody who will REALLY care.
Author anonymous

IMVHO we Chaos Monkey Humans are a lot like cats.....

Though cats are often more easily satisfied: food, soft place to sleep, a ball or blade of grass to play with and enemies not near by.......

And the dogs are often better than both of us.........
monster_gardener

The Shadow Player of G_D on Earth.....

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.
Oil wealth has blinded Arab populations to how Western nations have manipulated them into decades of subservience to authoritarian rule.
IMO the problem goes back to before oil or the West were the major factors.........
The Ottoman State was an absolute monarchy during much of its existence. The sultan was at the apex of the hierarchical Ottoman system and acted in political, military, judicial, social, and religious capacities under a variety of titles.[a] He was theoretically responsible only to God and God's law (the Islamic شریعت şeriat, known in Arabic as شريعة sharia), of which he was the chief executor. His heavenly mandate was reflected in Irano-Islamic titles such as "shadow of God on Earth" (Arabic: ظل الله في العالم‎ zill Allah fi'l-alem) and "caliph on the earth" (Persian: خلیفه روی زمین‎ khalife-i ru-yi zemin).[4] All offices were filled by his authority, and every law was issued by him in the form of a decree called firman (فرمان). He was the supreme military commander and had the official title to all land.