Saudi Arabia

Typhoon

Saudi Arabia

Post by Typhoon »

AP | Prison, lashes for liberal Saudi web forum founder
The founder of a liberal-minded website in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to seven years in prison and 600 lashes after angering Islamic authorities in the ultraconservative kingdom, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Raif Badawi, through his website known as Free Saudi Liberals, had urged Saudis to share opinions about the role of religion in the country, which follows a strict form of Islam that includes harsh punishments for challenging customs.

A judge in the Red Sea port of Jiddah imposed the sentences but dropped charges of apostasy, which could have brought a death sentence, the Al-Watan newspaper reported. Badawi has been held since June 2012.
Life as usual in the most backward of kingdoms.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Re: Saudi Arabia

Post by Ibrahim »

America's closest ally in the Arab world.

Oh, and these guys are also funding the coup in Egypt, sending ten times the money to the Egyptian army as the US does.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Is it thinkable that the US or any other oil client would say smthg like:

Yes, you Saudies are bastards but we'll buy your oil anyways. Because we need it, unfortunately. Moreover we will even help you stay in power for we don't need political instability since even bigger bastards might come to power that are unreliable. We need a stable oil production and a fair deal, that's all. You mess up your home as much as you want, we don't care. You will pay the price in due time for that anyways when enough people in your country demand change and rid themselves of your petty autocratic cleptocratic medieval system whoring around an Islamofascist ideology less and less Muslims endorse as representing the good Islam anyways. But, until you are gone and long forgotten the oil will flow. Thank you.

As opposed to:

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Typhoon

Saudi Arabia

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Frosty the Fatwa is not a jolly, happy soul. :cry:
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
CSM | Seriously, a fatwa against snowmen? Saudis push back on Twitter.
Sheikh Munajjid’s edict met with such a backlash on social media, however, that he was forced to climb down late Monday. He conceded that snow sculptures outlining the bodies of humans or animals were acceptable as long as they remain “without the clear landmarks of a face such as an eye, a nose or a mouth,” similar to scarecrows

While social media has been blamed for a proliferation of questionable fatwas, which can propel an imam from obscurity to overnight celebrity, the reverse is also true: Millions of Muslims across the world can instantly critique the credentials and jurisprudence behind each imam’s fatwa.
This online interaction reflects the Islamic principle of ijma, or consensus, on religious edicts, under which public opinion is able to cast off weak or impractical fatwas.

So what was once a one-sided discussion of Islamic do’s and don’ts has become a robust and evolving debate.

Saudi Twitter users made that clear to the Saudi cleric. Even after he amended his anti-snowman fatwa, they posted photos of their latest snow-sheikhs tagged to his Twitter account – with "clear landmarks of a face."
The Law of Unintended consequences at work via social media.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

so sad.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Abdulaziz has "Alzheimer"

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

If so, then who is the real power behind the throne?
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

If so, then who is the real power behind the throne ?

News of Abdulaziz "Alzheimer" was in the media B4 Abdullah past away

Meaning Abdulaziz might be just show-figure and for a short time (Iranian media saying it is agreed, due to his "alzheimer", he will abdicate if his "Alzheimer" worsens dramatically)

Real power might lie in the hand, soon 2B king, Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud .. (late) King Abdullah has explicitly appointed "Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud" as next King (after present king, expected 2B a short rule) .. Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud was the closest and most powerful adviser to late king .. he the last born son (the 35th son) to founder of KSA and has no sibling from same mother.

but

Saudi Arabia should be understood as essentially a client state of the United States

and

Little room they might have to manoeuvre, KSA basically run by "technocrats", Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir sort of people .. and .. only Allah knows where their allegiances lies :lol: (probably CIA sleeping cell) .. you don't believe ? ? remember King Faisal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (a friend of Nasser of Egypt, Arafat, Gaddafi) ?

well, he was the King that stop Oil export by all Arabs in protest to Zionist in 1973 .. remember you pushing your car in US to the next gas station ? ? remember that ? ?

Well, who assassinated him ? ?
On 25 March 1975, King Faisal was shot point-blank and killed by his half-brother's son, Faisal bin Musaid, who had just come back from the United States.

:lol: :lol: .. come on, Colonel, come on

Heracleum Persicum

That put the region’s most important Sunni power and America’s closest Arab ally in the hands of a 79-year-old who is reportedly in poor health and suffering from dementia

“Having a king with dementia is the last thing they need at this difficult time,” Henderson said. “Yemen is falling apart, ISIS is knocking at the door . . . this is an extraordinarily dangerous Middle East from a Saudi perspective.”

By Saudi tradition, the crown passes down among the sons of national founder King Abdul Aziz ibn Saud, who died in 1953. Salman would be the sixth son to be king, and few of his remaining brothers — out of at least 35 who were alive when the father died — are believed to be healthy or qualified to assume the throne.

In an apparent bid to preempt quarrels about succession — and also secure the line for his own favored branch of the family — Abdullah last year took the unprecedented step of anointing a deputy heir, Prince Muqrin, 71, his youngest brother.

Muqrin is said to be smart and is well liked by ordinary Saudis; he also has good ties with Saudi Arabia’s most important ally, the United States. But the choice sparked fierce opposition from some of the many excluded princes, who complained that Abdullah was defying a tradition that allows each king to name his own heir. Additionally, Muqrin’s mother was a Yemeni concubine, not a Saudi princess, and some in the family reportedly consider his lineage too impure for him to wear the crown.

By Saudi tradition, King Salman would be free to choose his own successor-in-waiting, but it is widely believed here that he would simply elevate Muqrin from deputy to crown prince.

At that point, the Saudi royal family would face a far more complicated puzzle about who would succeed Muqrin, but it would almost certainly be a prince from the next generation, the grandchildren of Abdul Aziz. Hundreds of princes belong to that generation.

The succession process is conducted by the Allegiance Council, a body created by Abdullah. It consists of 35 senior princes, all sons and grandsons of Abdul Aziz, who meet in secret to choose a new leader when the king dies.

The vast al-Saud family is believed to be riven by factions. But historically, the family has managed to come together with the primary goal of preserving their iron rule.

“The trick is always to try and understand their logic and not be too confined by our own logic,” he said. “Their logic is different. They hate the idea of public show of disunity. So they’ll try to cover that up completely.”
Heracleum Persicum

saudi-king-praise-hypocrisy.si.jpg
saudi-king-praise-hypocrisy.si.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

Charles playing "clown" for Oil Money

Charles to fly to Riyadh following death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia

The Prince has been a regular visitor to Saudi Arabia over the years and counted the king as a personal friend.

It is understood he would not have been able to attend the funeral ceremony itself, as only Muslim men will be allowed.

Instead he is expected to pay a visit to the new king, the current Prince Salman, a 79-year-old half brother of Abdullah.
Heracleum Persicum

King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Riyadh, January 23, 2015.jpg
King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Riyadh, January 23, 2015.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

No comment

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Ruler or drooler?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Ruler or drooler?
Very good.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Al Sauds also happen to field an unwieldy number of princes and princess; as many as 15,000 living highnesses and royal highnesses are spread across six branches of a family tree whose roots reach back to the 18th century.

That's a lot of big spenders to have on the national accounts.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BBC | Moussaoui claims Saudi royals 'funded 9/11 attacks'
Al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui has claimed members of the Saudi royal family helped fund the 9/11 attacks.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

BBC | Moussaoui claims Saudi royals 'funded 9/11 attacks'
Al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui has claimed members of the Saudi royal family helped fund the 9/11 attacks.

I'm petitioning to move this to "conspiracy" in Hell thread :lol: :lol:

Come on, CS, this old stuff .. of-course Saudi Sheikhs financed the 9/11 and the pilots were no amateurs but Paki military pilots, all, with knowledge (and kind cooperation) of CIA/Mossad.

Al-Qaeda operative imprisoned in the United States told lawyers that members of the
Saudi royal family provided millions of dollars to the terrorist group in the 1990s

Yes, they have, on behalf of CIA :lol: :lol:

come on

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
In Saudi Arabia, banning snowmen is like banning unicorns, as useless as tits on a bull.
cultivate a white rose
Heracleum Persicum

True Saudi nature

LOLOLOL.jpg
LOLOLOL.jpg (26.02 KiB) Viewed 3859 times

:lol: :lol:

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mecca crane collapse: 87 dead in Saudi Arabia

At least 87 people have died after a crane collapsed on the Grand Mosque in the Muslim holy city of Mecca, the Saudi Arabian government has said.
More than 180 people were injured in the accident, the country's civil defence authority said on Twitter.
Images from the scene showed part of a huge red crane crashed through the mosque's roof. The cause of the collapse is not known.
Mecca is currently preparing for the annual Muslim Hajj pilgrimage.

[...]
On Sept 11... :shock:
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

WCNWT9lcxBs