Two Killed as Saudi Police Clash With Foreigners in Riyadh

Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-1 ... dh-1-.html
By Glen Carey - Nov 10, 2013 7:54 AM ET

Clashes between Saudi police and foreign nationals in Riyadh killed two people, including a Saudi citizen, as the government implements a nationwide crackdown on undocumented workers.

Police arrested 561 people during the riots that erupted in Manfouha in south Riyadh, the official Saudi Press Agency reported, citing a police statement. The violence left 68 injured and damaged 104 cars, the news service reported.

The clashes in the narrow streets of Manfouha, a neighborhood with a large Ethiopian population, came as authorities implemented measures from Nov. 4 against violators of the kingdom’s labor laws. Police arrested 16,000 people by the end of the second day of the crackdown as they fanned out across the cities, raiding shops and construction sites, al-Riyadh newspaper reported on Nov. 7.

Saudi Arabia, the Arab world’s biggest economy, is implementing measures against illegal workers as it pushes to create more jobs for its citizens and stave off unrest. The kingdom has made job creation a priority after popular unrest toppled leaders across the Middle East starting in 2011. The jobless rate for Saudi workers is about 12 percent, according to official figures.

The Tadawul All Share Index declined 0.2 percent to 8,248 at the 3:30 p.m. close in Riyadh. The Arab world’s biggest exchange has advanced 21 percent this year.
‘Leaving Today’

Along al-Faryan Street in Manfouha today, hundreds of East Africans gathered around a traffic light, some sitting on their over-packed suitcases, as Saudi police watched from outside their vehicles, which blocked the main intersection. Ambulances and buses were parked along side the road.

“I am leaving today,” Abdullah Ibrahim, a 25-year-old Ethiopian, said. “I don’t have a residency permit and need to leave.” Girma Makonnen, fearing the crackdown and the violence last night, is also trying to depart after seven years working in the kingdom.

In Manfouha, some shop signs are written in Amharic, the language spoken in Ethiopia, along side Arabic. On the back streets, rundown buildings, with plastic water tanks and old air conditioners hanging from cracked walls, stand next to lots with collapsed buildings. The neighborhood provides a sharp contrast to the glass office towers in other parts of the city.
Foreign Workers

A video posted on YouTube showed men beating another with sticks and clubs during the crackdown and others running down a street in the neighborhood. Another video showed a convoy of police vehicles responding to the riots. The authenticity of the videos couldn’t be verified.

Saudi Arabia has attracted foreign workers, some sneaking illegally across the border from Yemen, as it invests its oil wealth to build roads, airports and new industrial cities. The kingdom was the third-biggest global provider of worker remittances after the U.S. and Russia, sending $29.5 billion in 2012, according to World Bank data.

Economic growth is forecast to slow to 4.2 percent this year, from 5.1 percent last year and 8.6 percent in 2011, according to a Bloomberg survey of 20 analysts.

The Saudi Press Agency didn’t identify the nationality of the second person killed in the clashes. Police shot and killed one Ethiopian man earlier this week as he tried to grab a policeman’s weapon during a raid, the Jeddah-based Arab News newspaper reported on Nov. 8.

Authorities have set up a place to house violators of the visa laws in Manfouha should they surrender voluntarily, the Saudi Press Agency said, citing a separate police statement.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Two Killed as Saudi Police Clash With Foreigners in Riya

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Al Saud is finished .. not only the Shia population revolting (and the OIL is in Shia territory), not only woman started driving :lol: , but the Sunni population kept happy only with massive money flow

My guess is, if America settles with Iran, Oil price will fall below 80 $/b, maybe even for short time 50-60 $/b .. Saudi Arabia needs oil 2B 100 $/b to keep population happy

Safe bet Al Saud gone in less than 2-3 yrs

and

it will be feast to freeze and later confiscate those "trillions" of dollars stolen by that Wahhabi mafia Al Saud .. same they did with Gaddafi and others, probably that is the plan

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Al Saud is finished .. not only the Shia population revolting (and the OIL is in Shia territory), not only woman started driving :lol: , but the Sunni population kept happy only with massive money flow

My guess is, if America settles with Iran, Oil price will fall below 80 $/b, maybe even for short time 50-60 $/b .. Saudi Arabia needs oil 2B 100 $/b to keep population happy

and

it will be feast to freeze and later confiscate those "trillions" of dollars stolen by that Wahhabi mafia Al Saud .. same they did with Gaddafi and others, probably that is the plan

You are probably right AZ But what is Iran going to do? Send out the Bajji evey time people want change there?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

and

You are probably right AZ But what is Iran going to do ? Send out the Bajji evey time people want change there ?

To do about what ? ?

Iran will lean back and watch for Arabs to change course from an Oil-parasitism to the real world of Science and education .. to change from those 1000 foot Kuwaiti and Qatari and (each) Prince a Yacht (paid by, budgeted in Saudi state budget) to real education and earning a honorable living

Iran knows ME can not prosper without an new Arab civilization and would help if asked

Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

This is all the Saudi military is for. In fact this is what most of the world's armed forces are for, but that's another subject.

Iran knows ME can not prosper without an new Arab civilization and would help if asked
The Iranian government violently suppresses pro-democracy protesters. What's the difference?

In fact most countries do that, but that's another subject.