Afghanistan

Nonc Hilaire

Re: The Afghanistan Thread

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Forum members will be pleased to know that the U.S. Marine Corps has banned audible farting for some Marines downrange because it offends the Afghans.

I'm not sure which is more peculiar: is it that the U.S.Marine Corps thinks it is acceptable to kill Afghans but not fart in front of them, or that a people who endorse beheading, stoning and amputation are so easily offended?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

When Abu Hasan Broke Wind........

Post by monster_gardener »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Forum members will be pleased to know that the U.S. Marine Corps has banned audible farting for some Marines downrange because it offends the Afghans.

I'm not sure which is more peculiar: is it that the U.S.Marine Corps thinks it is acceptable to kill Afghans but not fart in front of them, or that a people who endorse beheading, stoning and amputation are so easily offended?
Thank you Very Much for your post, Nonc.

Remembering the Arabian Nights story* "When Abu Hasan Broke Wind".......

At his wedding, Abu Hasan had gas so bad that the wedding was off, had to leave town, returns years later to hear a mother telling her daughter that she was born in the year that Abu Hasan farted, Abu Hasan leaves town again forever.........

*LOTS of Beheading there........ :twisted:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Forum members will be pleased to know that the U.S. Marine Corps has banned audible farting for some Marines downrange because it offends the Afghans.

War is funny, isn't it? "Look, guys, we can massacre these people with near impunity, but no need to be rude." The line from Apocalypse Now about cutting people in half with a machinegun and offering them a band-aid comes to mind.

And Afghans and US soldiers regarding one another as backwards savages is also amusing. Everybody wins!
Marcus

Just move upwind . . .

Post by Marcus »

Our Marines think it's okay to kill those who are trying to kill them and to kill those who are trying to bring down the Afghan government. These are not the average Afghan citizens . . supposedly. As for our boys worrying about farting upwind of a Muslim, any Muslim downwind of an American soldier can move upwind of the GI. They know enough to avoid pork and alcohol, don't they? Let them avoid our Marines if they're so easily offended.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
monster_gardener

Seconded ......Re: Just move upwind . . .

Marcus wrote:Our Marines think it's okay to kill those who are trying to kill them and to kill those who are trying to bring down the Afghan government. These are not the average Afghan citizens . . supposedly. As for our boys worrying about farting upwind of a Muslim, any Muslim downwind of an American soldier can move upwind of the GI. They know enough to avoid pork and alcohol, don't they? Let them avoid our Marines if they're so easily offended.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Marcus.

Seconded.

At this point in the game, what's the point of worrying about breaking wind........

Either we Uz get serious about culture jamming these 2 legged false dog S.O.B. Betrayers of their Benefactors against the Russian Bears by teaching Concealed Carry to the Lady Hounds (The Gospel of the Gun) and giving every willing Afghan girl a free concealable shooting iron & ammo or we should quit claim the Tallywacker Dogs to the Chinese Dragons or Persian Peacocks for some sort of concessions or even for free...... :twisted:

If the Peacocks are willing to stop building toward nukes and leaning on Israel and endangering world peace, let them have the Afghans if they are crazy enough to try to civilize them.....

Otherwise, it might be more fun to give them to the Dragons and watch the Chinese turn the PashTOONS into like Valley Girl talking like Computer Nerds like Han :wink: Maids like the Chinese are doing with the Uighers....... :twisted:

This might promote world peace too.......... CHINA NEEDS WOMEN......... and Afghan girls might find PLA Soldier boyz more simpatico than the local S.O.B.s... What do you know, you can have a drink to make merry the heart and don't have to coverup when it's blazing hot because some Arab pervert said you should centuries ago...... Nork Girls find even ancient Chinese Dragon farmers preferable...

Too bad we Uz didn't REALLY realize how sensitive these Afghan S.O.B.s are........

Maybe we should have helped the Bears eat their lunch and them.........
Last edited by monster_gardener on Mon May 07, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibrahim

Re: Just move upwind . . .

Post by Ibrahim »

Marcus wrote:Our Marines think it's okay to kill those who are trying to kill them and to kill those who are trying to bring down the Afghan government.
US forces generally (not the Marines specifically, but including the Marines) are responsible for thousands to tens of thousands of civilian casualties, something the Afghan government has begged the US to reduce as it only benefits the Taliban. Hamid Karzai has been vocal on this since 2006.

Let them avoid our Marines
I'm sure they would love to! :lol:
Marcus

Some advice, please . . .

Post by Marcus »

Ibrahim wrote:
Marcus wrote:Our Marines think it's okay to kill those who are trying to kill them and to kill those who are trying to bring down the Afghan government.
US forces generally (not the Marines specifically, but including the Marines) are responsible for thousands to tens of thousands of civilian casualties, something the Afghan government has begged the US to reduce as it only benefits the Taliban. Hamid Karzai has been vocal on this since 2006.

So, as a Canadian and a Muslim, what then, in your mind, should the US and its allies do?

Should the US and its allies be in Afghanistan at all?

If yes, then how should the US and its allies conduct the war?

Should the Taliban have been left alone, in control of Afghanistan?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

At this point? The US and allies should obviously withdraw ASAP. The government in Kabul will almost certainly fall, but it will fall whenever NATO leaves anyway, and all that changes the more time spent there is that more civilians and soldiers are killed for literally no good reason.
Marcus wrote:as a Canadian and a Muslim,
Why is everything identity politics with you lately? Plenty of people hold the same opinion I've outlined above, from all backgrounds. I haven't seen any convincing justification for any other course of action from anybody.
monster_gardener

DodgeBall / Muslim Grrls Honor Killing Repellent: a Gun....

Marcus wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

So, as a Canadian and a Muslim, what then, in your mind, should the US and its allies do?

Should the US and its allies be in Afghanistan at all?

If yes, then how should the US and its allies conduct the war?

Should the Taliban have been left alone, in control of Afghanistan?
Ibrahim wrote:At this point? The US and allies should obviously withdraw ASAP. The government in Kabul will almost certainly fall, but it will fall whenever NATO leaves anyway, and all that changes the more time spent there is that more civilians and soldiers are killed for literally no good reason.
Marcus wrote:as a Canadian and a Muslim,
Why is everything identity politics with you lately? Plenty of people hold the same opinion I've outlined above, from all backgrounds. I haven't seen any convincing justification for any other course of action from anybody.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Marcus.

Good questions but Ibrahim dodged the final question and IMHO went for an indirect ad hominem at you.

I haven't seen any convincing justification for any other course of action from anybody.
I suspect that Ibrahim has me on IFF FOE/ignore.... ;)

Suits me fine.......

Skeletor does that to Orko too........ :lol:

I still like my idea of "The Gospel of the Gun" for Muslim Grrls*

Or quit claiming Trash.. oops I mean Afghanistan to the Pomegranates since even the Chinese don't want it that much.......

Funny thing is that the Indian Elephants seem to be interested.......

But I see nuke disaster in that....

Gonna drive the Pak Rats :wink: crazy.......

*Feeling poetic: "For Muslim Grrls Who Have Been Considered for Honor Killing when Islamic Culture is Too Much"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Colore ... ow_Is_Enuf
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

WSJ - Iran to deport millions of Afghan refugees and migrant workers if Afghanistan's parliament ratifies the deal

Fazal Hadi Muslimyar, the speaker of Afghanistan's upper house of parliament, told The Wall Street Journal that Tehran's newly appointed ambassador to Kabul told Afghan lawmakers last week that they should not ratify the U.S.-Afghan Strategic Partnership Agreement.

Iran's large Afghan refugee population gives Tehran leverage over Afghanistan's cash-strapped government. Abdul Samad Hami, Afghanistan's deputy minister of refugees and repatriation, said Iran is home to around one million registered Afghan refugees, and a "moving number" of undocumented migrants.

Hundreds of thousands of Afghans go to Iran to seek work as manual laborers, often in construction, agriculture and other low-wage jobs.

Look folks

10 million Afghans (basically, whole population of Afghanistan,) stayed in Iran for 20 year

Iran fed them, free healthcare, Jobs, school for children .. and and and

America must be on pot thinking America can stay in Afghanistan

Wise, like Iraq, pack and leave, as long as leavin can be orderly

you don't want 2B pushed out ? ? :)

The events occurred as Mr. Karzai on Tuesday warned that civilian casualties caused by North Atlantic Treaty Organization airstrikes could undermine the cooperation agreement, the Associated Press reported.

Afghan officials say 18 civilians have died in four airstrikes since Thursday in Logar, Kapisa, Badghis and Helmand provinces.

"If the lives of Afghan people are not safe, the signing of the strategic partnership has no meaning," Mr. Karzai's office said in a statement Monday.

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

AzariLoveIran wrote:America must be on pot thinking America can stay in Afghanistan
Not exactly, Azari. I think Obama wants to move into your house. With his butt-buddy Bibi :D
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:.
AzariLoveIran wrote:.

Not exactly, Azari. I think Obama wants to move into your house. With his butt-buddy Bibi :D

Cemetery of history is full of powers that move into Iran .. they no more, non

and

Re BiBi

Iranians feel a responsibility, sort of a debt to the world community,
Iranians saved BiBi from annihilation,
not knowing
how nasty BiBi was
so,
NH
maybe
it is better
if BiBi start swinging first
Iranians have a duty to rectify the 2600 old mistake :D

monster_gardener

Ancient & Modern History of ME: Middle Earth/Mid East...

AzariLoveIran wrote:

and

Re BiBi

not knowing
how nasty BiBi was
so,
NH
maybe
it is better

Thank you Very Much for your post, Azari.
NOT all powers who invaded Iran in cemetery,

Perhaps the most continuingly important invader of Persian Peacock Territory is NOT there......

A notable Nation that still is a going & growing concern....... :o

As the Dwarves say:
A Wild Ass of a Nation,
His Hand Against Everyman
And Everyman's hand against him
According to themselves*:

The "BEST" :roll: of Nations! :lol:
The Ummah.......
A.K.A. the Arabs/Arab Speakers/Muslims......
A.K.A. the Orcs

According to you, the Orcs will be at the Height of their Glory*** again in 100 years..........
Sounds like Duck oops I mean Persian Peacock hunting season will be open again........**
not knowing
how nasty BiBi was
Peacocks probably did save the Dwarves from assimilation...... Helped Dwarves rebuild G_d's Temple.... Ancient Peacock King get G_d's endorsement.....
But
Per the Book of Esther the Star Lady :wink: , Peacocks came close to exterminating Dwarves by mistake......

And once the Peacocks were infected with the Orc meme........ things went downhill.......
Peacocks seem to now have dreams of turning Orcs into Peacocks.......

Dwarves know that some Peacocks feel this way..........

Dwarves have bad experience with EuroOrcs..... Who also thought that it was a mistake to let Dwarves live.....
Dwarves concentrated too much on getting gold....
And not enough on weapons for themselves........

Made weapons and the land fertile for EuroOrcs they were trying to be friends with****
Weapons ended up being used on the Dwarves.......
And surviving Dwarves moved away......

Unfortunately to where even more Orcs live on land that once belonged to Dwarves...
A Crazyland where the Memes drive all manner of men & women insane: Dwarves, Orcs, Peacock Paladins, and Uz
Where IrreDental disease makes the fangs grow long as it deranges the mind......
"This land was mine, I have to have it again even though my neighbors are homicidal religious fanatic Pirates"......

The Dwarves have been building mighty Magic weapons for themselves....
Some weapons approaching the power of the "Deplorable Word" :shock: :o :evil: :(

Some Dwarves infected by Samson meme........
Dwarf who killed more ancient Orcs***** when he died by knocking their building down :shock:
Than he did weapon in hand while alive......

These Dwarves more afraid to NOT to say the "Word" than say it...... :shock: :o :(
Say it what should have been done last time......
Slay rather than be slain or at least slay while you are slain......
Rather than obey rules and be sheepmen victims......
Remembering what ShadenFruede it would have been to convert the EuroOrcs & their MeOrc friends who murdered 6 million Dwarves into Shades :twisted:

Some Dwarves want to make peace with Peacocks.......
Other Dwarves say Peacocks now too infected with Orc Madness.......
Not take chances with Orc Friends..........

Other Dwarves/Dwarf Friends say it is time for those who retain some sanity work and pray that G_d allows Orion to Rise on his almost Deplorable nuclear feet to take Dwarves, Uz, Peacocks and even Orcs who are willing to separate worlds of their own.........

Where they can be nice or nasty to themselves but not have to be in close contact with each other.....
Evolve fully into Dwarves, Orcs, Peacocks, and Uz........ How the Genes and Memes will Drift :wink: through Space.........
Or become OursElves :wink:

And even to stop the Wormwood Stars from devastating the Men Down Under :wink: on Earth....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplorable_Word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_% ... pretations

*And also according to MoeHamHead :wink: , Chieftain of the 3 Funny Orcs oops I mean Stooges :lol:
Funny if you like stupid Orcs doing violent things to each other.........
Maybe that is funny compared to the Orcs doing that to other people :twisted:

(Yes I know the 3 Funny Orcs were actually portrayed by Dwarven actors........)

**Persian Peacock Throne Paladins maybe a bit Daffy :lol: to be supporting Orc Huntsmen.......
Some Peacocks infected with the Orc meme even though some of them think they are not infected........

Uz need to be careful about the Orcs too... Uz made mistake of supporting Garbage Dog Orcs of Trashcanistan against the Russian WereBears :lol: :cry:

***Or gory :twisted:

****Fritz Haber: Haber Process which made nitrate for fertilizer :D and gun cotton :) ...... War Gas for the German oops I mean EuroOrc War machine.... :evil: :cry:

***** A.K.A. Phillistines....... Palestinians ;) ......... Actually tribes of Ancient Greek Geeks ;) and we all know how well the Ancient Greek Geeks got along Persian Peacock Paladins :twisted: :lol: .........
AzariLoveIran

Re: Ancient & Modern History of ME: Middle Earth/Mid East...

Post by AzariLoveIran »

monster_gardener wrote:
AzariLoveIran wrote:

and

Re BiBi

not knowing
how nasty BiBi was
so,
NH
maybe
it is better

Thank you Very Much for your post, Azari.
NOT all powers who invaded Iran in cemetery,

Perhaps the most continuingly important invader of Persian Peacock Territory is NOT there......

A notable Nation that still is a going & growing concern....... :o

As the Dwarves say:
A Wild Ass of a Nation,
His Hand Against Everyman
And Everyman's hand against him
According to themselves*:

The "BEST" :roll: of Nations! :lol:
The Ummah.......
A.K.A. the Arabs/Arab Speakers/Muslims......
A.K.A. the Orcs

According to you, the Orcs will be at the Height of their Glory*** again in 100 years..........
Sounds like Duck oops I mean Persian Peacock hunting season will be open again........**
not knowing
how nasty BiBi was
Peacocks probably did save the Dwarves from assimilation...... Helped Dwarves rebuild G_d's Temple.... Ancient Peacock King get G_d's endorsement.....
But
Per the Book of Esther the Star Lady :wink: , Peacocks came close to exterminating Dwarves by mistake......

And once the Peacocks were infected with the Orc meme........ things went downhill.......
Peacocks seem to now have dreams of turning Orcs into Peacocks.......

Dwarves know that some Peacocks feel this way..........

Dwarves have bad experience with EuroOrcs..... Who also thought that it was a mistake to let Dwarves live.....
Dwarves concentrated too much on getting gold....
And not enough on weapons for themselves........

Made weapons and the land fertile for EuroOrcs they were trying to be friends with****
Weapons ended up being used on the Dwarves.......
And surviving Dwarves moved away......

Unfortunately to where even more Orcs live on land that once belonged to Dwarves...
A Crazyland where the Memes drive all manner of men & women insane: Dwarves, Orcs, Peacock Paladins, and Uz
Where IrreDental disease makes the fangs grow long as it deranges the mind......
"This land was mine, I have to have it again even though my neighbors are homicidal religious fanatic Pirates"......

The Dwarves have been building mighty Magic weapons for themselves....
Some weapons approaching the power of the "Deplorable Word" :shock: :o :evil: :(

Some Dwarves infected by Samson meme........
Dwarf who killed more ancient Orcs***** when he died by knocking their building down :shock:
Than he did weapon in hand while alive......

These Dwarves more afraid to NOT to say the "Word" than say it...... :shock: :o :(
Say it what should have been done last time......
Slay rather than be slain or at least slay while you are slain......
Rather than obey rules and be sheepmen victims......
Remembering what ShadenFruede it would have been to convert the EuroOrcs & their MeOrc friends who murdered 6 million Dwarves into Shades :twisted:

Some Dwarves want to make peace with Peacocks.......
Other Dwarves say Peacocks now too infected with Orc Madness.......
Not take chances with Orc Friends..........

Other Dwarves/Dwarf Friends say it is time for those who retain some sanity work and pray that G_d allows Orion to Rise on his almost Deplorable nuclear feet to take Dwarves, Uz, Peacocks and even Orcs who are willing to separate worlds of their own.........

Where they can be nice or nasty to themselves but not have to be in close contact with each other.....
Evolve fully into Dwarves, Orcs, Peacocks, and Uz........ How the Genes and Memes will Drift :wink: through Space.........
Or become OursElves :wink:

And even to stop the Wormwood Stars from devastating the Men Down Under :wink: on Earth....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplorable_Word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_% ... pretations

*And also according to MoeHamHead :wink: , Chieftain of the 3 Funny Orcs oops I mean Stooges :lol:
Funny if you like stupid Orcs doing violent things to each other.........
Maybe that is funny compared to the Orcs doing that to other people :twisted:

(Yes I know the 3 Funny Orcs were actually portrayed by Dwarven actors........)

**Persian Peacock Throne Paladins maybe a bit Daffy :lol: to be supporting Orc Huntsmen.......
Some Peacocks infected with the Orc meme even though some of them think they are not infected........

Uz need to be careful about the Orcs too... Uz made mistake of supporting Garbage Dog Orcs of Trashcanistan against the Russian WereBears :lol: :cry:

***Or gory :twisted:

****Fritz Haber: Haber Process which made nitrate for fertilizer :D and gun cotton :) ...... War Gas for the German oops I mean EuroOrc War machine.... :evil: :cry:

***** A.K.A. Phillistines....... Palestinians ;) ......... Actually tribes of Ancient Greek Geeks ;) and we all know how well the Ancient Greek Geeks got along Persian Peacock Paladins :twisted: :lol: .........

Look , Monster

looks you misunderstand what's going on

Iran is not going to get into a "direct" war with Zionist

Iran will push and push, but make things disastrous for the beast to slash

Iran's aim is to gather, to pull, the 7/8 of world population that is watching who right who wrong and who the evil and beast

Iran is playing to world population

right now, west is arm twisting with India, China, Japan, Russia, Brazil, Turkey, South America and Africa and and

come a time, west would be left alone .. already happening

if so

any lashing on Iran, will have catastrophic result worldwide for west

others could be thinking, same thing could happen to them .. and .. side with Iran

that already happening

Multi-polar .. not only 2 , but 4 or 5 poles are emerging

in that sense

America itself could flip .. escape "Zionist/Wahhabi" headlock

meaning

those guys that did twice those things to Rhubarb, would, bit by bit, move away from Zionism

did you notice not a single American Zionist, AIPAC & company, said anything about Günter Grass ? ?

they know there are many many Günter Grass, that is how Europe now thinking, and America too

that is where Iran pushing Rhubarb to .. to the cliff

no goodwill left for Rhubarb

Israel attacking Iran ? ?

attacking what ? ?

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

“ green on blue ”

US-led imperative in peril as trained Afghans turn enemy
This year, 22 American-led coalition service members have been killed by men in Afghan uniform, which the military calls “green on blue” attacks . .

Why this ? ?

reason is , America did not succeed convincing Afghan people West in Afghanistan for Afghan good

Afghans perceive West as an enemy, occupier

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CSM | Pakistan's price: US to pay $365 million more a year to reopen supply lines
A US-Pakistan deal to reopen a key NATO supply route through Pakistan, closed for nearly six months, would raise the cost of the war effort in Afghanistan by about $365 million annually.
Straight into the bank accounts of the oligarchs of Pakistan.

As the real estate agent once observed, "Location, location, location."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:CSM | Pakistan's price: US to pay $365 million more a year to reopen supply lines
A US-Pakistan deal to reopen a key NATO supply route through Pakistan, closed for nearly six months, would raise the cost of the war effort in Afghanistan by about $365 million annually.

As the real estate once observed, "Location, location, location."

Afghan war costing 1 billion Dollars a day .. 1 B a day

so

Colonel

365 million a year .. 1 million a day .. peanut

good deal .. America should immediately take it

it ain't gettin cheaper

Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:CSM | Pakistan's price: US to pay $365 million more a year to reopen supply lines

As the real estate agent once observed, "Location, location, location."

Afghanistan: the failure so complete it even wrecked neighboring countries. The US used to have an ally there, now they've got I don't know what. Some combination between a gangster and a fanatic, with missiles.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran wrote:

so

Colonel

it ain't gettin cheaper

Afghan war costs $300 million a day: Pentagon | http://goo.gl/dyZ7t

While you numbers may be on the high side, your general point is correct. The US is getting a bargain of sorts.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:
AzariLoveIran wrote:

so

Colonel

it ain't gettin cheaper

Afghan war costs $300 million a day: Pentagon | http://goo.gl/dyZ7t

While you numbers may be on the high side, your general point is correct. The US is getting a bargain of sorts.

$ 300 million a day might be for the regular stuff .. but America runs lots of things in and around Afghanistan that are off books

and

NATO cost might be as much

I admit, 1 B a day might be a bit too much .. but .. correct figure, for western war in Afghanistan should be for sure 500+ million a day .. 1 more million a day non issue

and

Paki swimming in Arab money, one million a day for them nickel & dime .. without Pakistan all Arab Sheiks would be history, even Saudi shitheads .. even the fighter pilots of Arabs are Paki

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Erich Wagner, “The Bones of the British Lying in Maiwand Are Lonely"

A Victorian Battle and Its Continuing Impact on Afghan Memory

Marine Corps University Journal, vol. 3 no. 1, Spring 2012, at 35-66

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcu/mcupress/ ... II_WEB.pdf
The Battle of Maiwand was part of a British military intervention to stop perceived Russian influence on tribal factions in Afghanistan, as England felt her control of India was threatened. During the course of the Second Anglo–Afghan War (1878–80), Great Britain triumphed in the majority of battles; the calamity at Maiwand was the one notable exception. And, like such Victorian disasters in the past — Cawnpore and Isandlwana — vengeance was thorough; retribution, quick; and motivation, determined.

This grand Afghan victory against British colonialism is vital to understanding the mentality of the Afghan fighter in today’s war, placing it in its proper historical context, and comprehending the nature of the war that is currently being waged by both sides. A decade after international intervention in Afghanistan following the attacks of 11 September 2001, some scholars still contend that little is understood about the tribes and ethnic groups that make up the country. A senior intelligence officer for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan, U.S. Army Major General Michael T. Flynn, admonished the U.S. intelligence community for, while “having focused the overwhelming majority of our collection efforts and analytical brainpower on insurgent groups, our vast intelligence apparatus still finds itself unable to answer fundamental questions about the environment in which we operate and the people we are trying to persuade.” Perhaps, but during the last few years there has been an outpouring of literature on Afghanistan’s tribal dynamics from such analysts and scholars as Antonio Giustozzi, Thomas Ruttig, and Gilles Dorronsoro, to name a few. Moreover, “tribal engagement” has certainly been one of NATO/ISAF’s prominent enthusiasms. In point of fact, tribal and ethnic factors are included in current analyses, and in some cases, the focus may be overemphasized by counterinsurgents, in the process neglecting the equally important historical antecedents. It is this shortfall in Afghan history that this article will — albeit only partially — address....
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

The Khyber Rifles maintain regimental crests which British units stationed there as far back as the Second Afghan War painted on cliff faces in the Khyber Pass. People don't understand the Pashtun and other AfPak border tribesmen. They just like a good fight, and typically respect their opponents even as they try to butcher them in horrific and sometimes underhanded ways. Actually they are a bit like the colonial British in that way. A match made in heaven.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

. . Iran is using its extensive influence with the non-Pashtun peoples of the north. They are a majority of the country's population and over-represented in the national assembly . .

David, seems the "pederast" Pashtuns are with America .. and the "straight" are with Ahmadinejat

Monster, the "Batcheh-Baaz" seems are with Barak Hussein :lol: :lol:

These northerners respect Iran.

Their language and culture are Persian-influenced; Iran backed them during the Russian war and against the Taliban; and Iran is helping with development programs in the western part of the country, especially with roads connecting the two countries' commerce, a point to be looked at presently.

Further, Iranian emissaries are known to deliver handsome sums of money to President Ahmed Karzai - a man who is known to have buoyant collegiality with such emissaries and keen respect for their interests.

Interesting .. all those nasty Talebans, doing all those bad things to Woman and and and .. all of them .. without exception .. are Pashtun

and

Pashtuns are now America's friends

Iran has two policies that are within its reach. First, it can convince Karzai to forbid the use of Afghan bases to attack Iranian bases, to conduct reconnaissance missions over Iran, and to launch guerrilla operations into Iran. Second and far more importantly, Iran can use its proximity to capitalize on Afghan economic development in a manner that will upset US policy to isolate and stifle Iran.

A Soviet geological survey in the 1970s showed promising geological deposits in many parts of Afghanistan. As is now well known, a more recent American survey confirmed the Soviet findings: Afghanistan is rich in copper, iron, semi-precious gems, and rare earths. North-central Afghanistan may even have appreciable oil deposits and collegial Chinese emissaries have won exploration rights there. With global commodity prices on the rise, Afghanistan is poised to prosper. It needs a settlement with the Taliban - and reliable export routes.

The most obvious route is south into Pakistan then down to its capacious port facilities in Karachi and Gwadar. China built the latter and is building a railroad line from northern Afghanistan to the Khyber Pass. Roads and ports are in place or soon will be, but doubts fall upon Pakistan. It is rent by sectarian and ethnic strife, plagued by inept and corrupt government, and may face a fiscal crisis of Athenian proportions in a year or so. The roads from Afghanistan to Gwadar pass through Balochistan province, which has a problematic insurgency. China must wonder if its convoys coming out of Afghanistan will one day face the same arbitrary closures and fees that the American traffic going into Afghanistan had to face until it turned to the northern route.

This northern supply line would be another export route but it is long and has no waterborne routes until the truck and rail traffic reaches the Black and Baltic Seas. The route is more reliable than the Pakistani route but it is of course more expensive. The US/ISAF convoys may be paving the way, so to speak, for a northern export route for Afghan resources.

Iran can offer Karzai a third route - one more reliable than the Pakistani route and less expensive than the northern route. Afghan ores can be transported west into Iran then south to the ports of Chabahar and Bandar-e-Abbas. Iran will benefit from jobs and transit fees and also from limiting US access into Afghanistan.

Iranian routes may enjoy support from two of the main business developers in Afghanistan - India and China, which though geopolitical rivals, have reasonably cooperative arrangements elsewhere in South Asia and have collegially secured mining rights from Karzai. Both powers are on good terms with Iran, which supplies them with considerable amounts of hydrocarbons. Neither India nor China is supportive of the US effort to boycott Iranian oil. China is eager to solidify ties with a key oil supplier and India wishes the same and also to consolidate near Central Asian markets.

The US will of course press Karzai to snub Iranian plans to use its ports, sensible though it seems to neutral observers. Karzai will be eager to have more than one export route for his resources and he will likely see Pakistan much as everyone else now is - unstable and unreliable. Further, he will see Pakistan, or at least its army and its Haqqani network client, as responsible for a recent wave of bombings and assassinations in Kabul, which likely shaped his decision to ink the partnership with the US.

To some extent Iran shares Karzai's dim view of Pakistan. Tehran has correct ties with Islamabad but sees it as supportive of the Taliban and other anti-Shi'ite groups such as Lashkar-e-Jhangvi. Iran objects to Pakistani troops and mercenaries serving in Saudi Arabia, sometimes in the cause of repressing Shi'ites, and sees Pakistan as moving closer to the Saudis as the former seeks financial help and the latter may be seeking nuclear technology one day.

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

William P. Upshur, Jonathan W. Roginski, and David J. Kilcullen, Recognizing Systems in Afghanistan

Lessons Learned and New Approaches to Operational Assessments

http://www.ndu.edu/press/lib/pdf/prism3 ... cullen.pdf
http://www.ndu.edu/press/recognizing-sy ... istan.html
Abstract

Over the last decade operations assessments have consistently failed to meaningfully describe complex conflict environments and progress of counterinsurgency campaigns in those environments. Operations assessments have perfunctorily served up junk arithmetic founded on hundreds of metrics and indicators, many of which are unobtainable and others of which are irrelevant. As such, the operations assessments process has generally been marginalized from planning and commanders’ decision cycles. This paper outlines a vastly simplified, yet highly descriptive method of assessing counterinsurgency campaigns, which can conceivably be refitted for use in other conflict or post-conflict theaters.
Robert Hulslander and Jake Spivey, Village Stability Operations and Afghan Local Police

http://www.ndu.edu/press/lib/pdf/prism3 ... spivey.pdf
http://www.ndu.edu/press/village-stabil ... tions.html
Abstract

Village Stability Operations (VSO) integrate security, governance and development efforts in strategically important rural Afghan districts and villages which lack significant government presence; VSO facilitates the establishment and maturation of critical connections between the central Afghan government and the populace. This coalition-initiated program, executed by US special operations forces (SOF) and select conventional forces, trains a temporary local security force known as the Afghan Local Police (ALP) whose members are selected by village leaders/shuras and who are subject to the authority of the Afghan government through its Ministry of Interior. VSO/ALP enables rural Afghans to stand up for themselves and augments Afghan National Security Force (ANSF) operations while capacity is built. Equally important, the initiative shapes conditions for enhancing development and governance in key terrain areas critical to the COIN campaign and the Afghan government. In response to a suggestion from Combined Forces Special Operations Component Command-Afghanistan (CFSOCC-A), JCOA analyzed VSO/ALP to create a study that discusses the initiative and highlights a number of the unique aspects, effects, and challenges of this innovative program.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot