Iran

noddy

Re: Iran

Post by noddy »

good for the iranians, they will catch up the west and have a paranoid surveillance state infrastucture in no time.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Academy award winner Geena Davis is married to an Iranian American.

In 2001, Davis married to a successful Iranian American plastic surgeon and UCLA professor, Dr. Reza Jarrahy, who is 15 years younger than Davis.

Heracleum Persicum

Re: Asia Times appears to be closing.

Apollonius wrote:I'll put this here. Maybe it belongs in Hell.

What happens when you .. , and a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs" together ?

You've got trouble.

Apollonius,

Pls have a look at these links (shows 1000s of yrs Persian "Assia Minor")

Google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolia

During the 6th century BC, most of Anatolia was conquered by the Persian Achaemenid Empire, the Pomegranates having usurped the Medes as the dominant dynasty in Iran. Also in the 6th century BC, the Indo-European Armenians founded the Orontid Dynasty in Urartu.

In 499 BC, the Ionian city-states on the west coast of Anatolia rebelled against Persian rule.

The Ionian Revolt, as it became known, initiated the Greco-Persian Wars, which ended in a Greek victory in 449 BC, and the Ionian cities regained their independence.

In 334 BC, the Macedonian Greek king Alexander the Great conquered the peninsula. Alexander's conquest opened up the interior of Asia Minor to Greek settlement and influence.

Alexander conquered Asia Minor from WHOM ? ? ?

From Pomegranates
The Ionians refused a peace offer from Cyrus the Great, siding with the Lydians instead.

After the Pomegranates defeated Croesus, the Ionians offered to make peace, but Cyrus insisted that they surrender and become part of the empire.

They were defeated by the Persian army commander Harpagos in 547 BC. The Pomegranates then incorporated the Greek cities of Asia Minor into the Achaemenid Empire. Those cities were then ruled by satraps.

Greek and Pomegranates, and later Pomegranates and (East) Roman empire fought each other for 1000 yr in/on Asia Minor

But, all this not issue of my post .. issue (answering Doc) was, Asia Minor, present Turkey, is mostly Kurd (MED = Persian) and Armenian and European and not much "Ughuz" Turks as Doc was alluding

But,

Now that we are subject of "Spengler" and ATOL, Looking forward for some comment from participants about Spengler's latest article in ATOL

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

What happens when you .. , and a Beloved Persian who thinks Iran ruled Asia Minor for "1000s of yrs" together ?

You've got trouble.

Apollonius,

Google

During the 6th century BC, most of Anatolia was conquered by the Persian Achaemenid Empire, the Pomegranates having usurped the Medes as the dominant dynasty in Iran. Also in the 6th century BC, the Indo-European Armenians founded the Orontid Dynasty in Urartu.

In 499 BC, the Ionian city-states on the west coast of Anatolia rebelled against Persian rule.

The Ionian Revolt, as it became known, initiated the Greco-Persian Wars, which ended in a Greek victory in 449 BC, and the Ionian cities regained their independence.

In 334 BC, the Macedonian Greek king Alexander the Great conquered the peninsula. Alexander's conquest opened up the interior of Asia Minor to Greek settlement and influence.

From Pomegranates
The Ionians refused a peace offer from Cyrus the Great, siding with the Lydians instead.

After the Pomegranates defeated Croesus, the Ionians offered to make peace, but Cyrus insisted that they surrender and become part of the empire.

They were defeated by the Persian army commander Harpagos in 547 BC. The Pomegranates then incorporated the Greek cities of Asia Minor into the Achaemenid Empire. Those cities were then ruled by satraps.

Greek and Pomegranates, and later Pomegranates and (East) Roman empire fought each other for 1000 yr in/on Asia Minor

But, all this not issue of my post .. issue (answering Doc) was, Asia Minor, present Turkey, is mostly Kurd (MED = Persian) and Armenian and European and not much "Ughuz" Turks as Doc was alluding
AZ I didn't say anything about this.
But,

Now that we are subject of "Spengler" and ATOL, Looking forward for some comment from participants about Spengler's latest article in ATOL

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:

You've got trouble.

Apollonius,

Google

From Pomegranates

You said something to the effect that "north west" of Iran could be part of Turkey

and my point is, probably other-way-round .. meaning half of Turkey, the Kurd and Armenian part at least, in reality Iranian property, minimum

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

But,

What do you think of that Spengler article in STOL ? ? By Spengler ? ? ? ?

Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:

You've got trouble.

Apollonius,

Google

From Pomegranates

You said something to the effect that "north west" of Iran could be part of Turkey

and my point is, probably other-way-round .. meaning half of Turkey, the Kurd and Armenian part at least, in reality Iranian property, minimum
I may have said something about North west Iran being part of Kurdistan. Otherwise if I said anything like the above I must have been pulling your leg.

But,

What do you think of that Spengler article in STOL ? ? By Spengler ? ? ? ?

Which part? The Jewish history is pretty much inline with what I learned in my college history classes. Jews became good at banking because they were forbidden to own land to farm. They had no other choices to survive.

The economics of governments does indeed mean governments are ultimately accountable to the markets. Just as we are now seeing in Europe and Russia. Goldman talks about the philosophy of banking being the key to the success of the US. It being dependent on mutual trust being individuals and individuals and government. I am not sure he got that 100% right But it should be broader in scope. People trust in the rule of law in the US. If people believe their disputes can be solved by the law rather than take the law into their own hands then good things will happen as long as that trust is not broken.

Christianity is based largely on what Jesus Christ said. Render onto Caesar what is Caesar's and render onto God what is God's

Here is a long and somewhat convoluted wiki article on this subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unt ... ying_taxes

These part I think applies more than the others
Jesus responds to Pontius Pilate about the nature of his kingdom: "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But now (or 'as it is') my kingdom is not from the world" (John 18:36); i.e., his religious teachings were separate from earthly political activity. This reflects a traditional division in Christian thought by which state and church have separate spheres of influence.[citation needed] A more simple explanation is that quite literally the people were not yet of his kingdom for if they were, the servants would rise up against the obvious injustice for convicting an innocent man.

This from a Mennonite preacher
We are against war and do not wish to aid the war effort by conscription or by paying war taxes to the government. Doing so only helps to strengthen and perpetuate the war machine. Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's." Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God." If the law of the land is that everyone must pay war taxes then that is what we must do. It is the law! We should however, work and pray extremely hard to change the law. The ideal situation would be to have the law abolished. The alternative would be to have a choice of designating our portion of the war tax towards efforts of peacemaking. This route would be a more lawful, constructive, and positive effort.[10]
Under the American system laws at the federal level are determined by congress agreed to by the president unless 2/3 of both houses of congress over ride a presidential veto then judged by the judiciary against the constitution. The people elect members of congress and the president. Members of the supreme court appointed for life are supposed to be above politics to protect from the tyranny of the majority. More often than not supreme court justices do not often follow what the president that appointed them would wish in their decisions.

In general the US civil war was fought because the south believed that it was their God given right and duty to hold and take care of their slaves. The abolitionist movement of the north felt that the slaves were men and therefore belonged to God and not man.

A more recent example is Rand Paul and measles vaccines He is not particularly my cup of politics so to speak but he made a great point. He said that Measles vaccines should not be required by the state in an interview. The reporter interviewing him went ballistic. His response shut her down. He said simply I am in favor of personal freedom to chose.

I think anyone that does not have their children vaccinated is an durian but it is still their choice to make not the lazy tyranny of the majority. Tyranny of the majority is the fastest way to break the trust between the government and the governed. It is the lazy way to get what the majority wants. Like the hate speech laws of Europe and Canada. It is the majority trying to get people to STFU by government rather than trying to convince them of the error of their ways.

Once you get these kinds of laws it is a slippery slope to other even more tyrannical laws. Like the suggestions by several European politicians and officials that 'Global warming deniers" should be put in prison for the skepticism.

Mass movement quite often in human history turn in to the worse excesses of the human race. They tend to be based on the idea that the group in question knows what is best for every one.,

As for the Chinese They are very good at business historically. I have no doubt about that. The fact that Chinese citizens have traveled to so many countries and done well... That alone tells me they are good at business. Iranians BTW are also good at business from what I have personally seen. Look at the Azaris as one example. They in fact were well liked in American popular culture before the Iranian revolution.

So David Goldman should be aware that alliances based on popular culture can turn on a dime. Peoples of different nations can be friendly towards each other but National governments have no friends They have common interests or common points of conflict. But they can never be friends in the human sense.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Japan

Typhoon wrote:.

From the World Values Survey:

WP | A map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries\

Interesting and funny

America, Australia, Canada among the most tolerant and Iran among the least

:lol:

America that had water fountains for Blacks and whites, America that blacks could not ride white busses or sit in school next to the white kid.

Australia with white only immigration laws

Canada that still has in property titles "no oriental, not jews, not dogs"

and

Iran that live peacefully last 5000 yrs with 20 ethnicity and 10 language .. is the least tolerant

come on
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Interesting and funny

America that had water fountains for Blacks and whites, America that blacks could not ride white busses or sit in school next to the white kid.

and

Iran that live peacefully last 5000 yrs with 20 ethnicity and 10 language .. is the least tolerant

come on
Past tense, not the present:

Freedom House | Iran

HRW | Iran

Amensty International | Iran
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

Interesting and funny

and

come on
Past tense, not the present:

Freedom House | Iran

HRW | Iran

Amensty International | Iran

All those are "Western ploys" .. rubbish

Iran housed, fed, educated, took care, free healthcare etc of 15 million Afghan refugee last 25 years and still does .. each single Afghan that can read and right, learned it in Iran

And all that under strictest sanction, Iranian funds usurped by west etc

This is human rights and not rubbish "homosexual pride carnival" you guys consider human right

Just Zionist propaganda, nothing else

Zionist dropping Phosphore bomb on Palestinians schools, bulldozing Pali home resettling with criminals imported from Russia and Ukraine .. they western pals

So many Synagogues in Iran, Jewish cemeteries .. nobody guarding them .. no laws re Jews

Why ?

Because no need, Jews and Christians and everybody else lives same

and you guys : 21 hours ago

give me a brake

problem you guys have, CS & others, you DELIBERATELY "illiterate" :lol:

CS, why not take a course in GHOM ? ? for "mind cleansing" :)

How to start new life at Hawza Qom ?

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

x2hyr7u

Alternate site:

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Iran may get judged too harshly compared with Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia supported Al Qaeda and other terrorists. They've also supported the Pakistani nuclear weapons program (in exchange for nuclear weapons technology) for decades. The fanatics who bulldozed Muhammad's grave are essentially a nuclear power already.
cultivate a white rose
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Typhoon wrote:

Forbes :

who is going to be the next Einstein .. :lol:

So, back to that Iranian woman I mentioned.

She’s called Zahra Haghani and you can read her paper, “Matter May Matter” online.

I’ll avoid summarising because, well, it’s way beyond my rudimentary understanding of physics.

But what Sparrho has done is analyse her writing, and determined that she was one of several writers who were statistically most similar to Einstein.

She's obviously clever, but the methodology of that article is too silly for words.
General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology

Matter may matter

Zahra Haghani, Tiberiu Harko, Hamid Reza Sepangi, Shahab Shahidi

(Submitted on 15 May 2014)

We propose a gravitational theory in which the effective Lagrangian of the gravitational field is given by an arbitrary function of the Ricci scalar, the trace of the matter energy-momentum tensor, and the contraction of the Ricci tensor with the matter energy-momentum tensor. The matter energy-momentum tensor is generally not conserved, thus leading to the appearance of an extra-force, acting on massive particles in a gravitational field. The stability conditions of the theory with respect to local perturbations are also obtained. The cosmological implications of the theory are investigated, representing an exponential solution. Hence a Ricci tensor - energy-momentum tensor coupling may explain the recent acceleration of the Universe, without resorting to the mysterious dark energy.

A casual search of arXiv.org will reveal a sizeable industry of proposed modifications to GR. In other words, this is one of many such papers.

Maybe this modification is right and may it's not. If this theory makes testable predictions, the the deciding factor will, as always, be experimental.
Future Einsteins will speak Farsi and Hindustani and Chinese

Interesting Phenomena, lately, suddenly, "Iranian woman" start excelling, world class, specially in science, Maryam Mirzakhani (professor of mathematics at Stanford University)

Reason for this is, flood gates are now opened to woman's education in 3rd world, India, China, Iran .. in many places woman now outnumber man in higher education (in Iran)

Smart Iranian women working outside of Iran is not a new phenomena.

Zahra  Haghani.jpg
Zahra Haghani.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

The "new generation" Iranian woman now excelling in science are raised in Iran, educated in Iranian universities, worked within Iranians research centers .. they already world class when in Iran

True, some, depending the science they in, leave for western higher education and research, but most stay in Iran and lead scientific work .. that is why Iran one of leader in published scientific papers (according to US science journal), I posted that once here.

Heracleum Persicum

GUHbOYAye_c
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:

Forbes :

She’s called Zahra Haghani and you can read her paper, “Matter May Matter” online.

I’ll avoid summarising because, well, it’s way beyond my rudimentary understanding of physics.

But what Sparrho has done is analyse her writing, and determined that she was one of several writers who were statistically most similar to Einstein.

She's obviously clever, but the methodology of that article is too silly for words.

Matter may matter

We propose a gravitational theory in which the effective Lagrangian of the gravitational field is given by an arbitrary function of the Ricci scalar, the trace of the matter energy-momentum tensor, and the contraction of the Ricci tensor with the matter energy-momentum tensor. The matter energy-momentum tensor is generally not conserved, thus leading to the appearance of an extra-force, acting on massive particles in a gravitational field. The stability conditions of the theory with respect to local perturbations are also obtained. The cosmological implications of the theory are investigated, representing an exponential solution. Hence a Ricci tensor - energy-momentum tensor coupling may explain the recent acceleration of the Universe, without resorting to the mysterious dark energy.

A casual search of arXiv.org will reveal a sizeable industry of proposed modifications to GR. In other words, this is one of many such papers.

Maybe this modification is right and may it's not. If this theory makes testable predictions, the the deciding factor will, as always, be experimental.

Interesting Phenomena, lately, suddenly, "Iranian woman" start excelling, world class, specially in science, Maryam Mirzakhani (professor of mathematics at Stanford University)

Reason for this is, flood gates are now opened to woman's education in 3rd world, India, China, Iran .. in many places woman now outnumber man in higher education (in Iran)

Zahra Haghani.jpg

The "new generation" Iranian woman now excelling in science are raised in Iran, educated in Iranian universities, worked within Iranians research centers .. they already world class when in Iran

True, some, depending the science they in, leave for western higher education and research, but most stay in Iran and lead scientific work .. that is why Iran one of leader in published scientific papers (according to US science journal), I posted that once here.

Iran ranks 17th in scientific documents published and 24th in terms of documents citations:

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.ph ... in_type=it
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Forbes :

Matter may matter

Zahra Haghani.jpg

Iran ranks 17th in scientific documents published and 24th in terms of documents citations:

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.ph ... in_type=it

Though not saying this the reason, but "citing", "editing", even publishing Iranian scientific papers is a "crime" due to "sanction" .. this explicitly was said by US treasury to publishing houses

Illogical and Unethical Scientific Sanctions Against Iranian Authors
Restriction of free submission of Iranian manuscripts is not a new matter. However, the recent political decision of the USA Office of Foreign Assets Control of the Department of the Treasury saying who can and who cannot publish scientific papers in journals is completely against free distribution of data in scholarly and scientific communities and scientific journals and publications which requires discussions and challenges with the statutory authorities.

Scientific journals are being asked to help tighten U.S. trade sanctions on Iran.

On 30 April, the Dutch publishing behemoth Elsevier of the Netherlands sent a note to its editorial network saying that all U.S. editors and U.S. reviewers must "avoid" handling manuscripts if they include an author employed by the government of Iran.

Publishers refuse to publish Iranian scientific papers or scientist refuse to "cite" them for fear of criminal prosecution

Under such circumstances, a miracle Iran 24th in ranking just behind Israel

and

Iranian science shows world's fastest growth: ranks 17th in science production in 2012

Iran showing fastest scientific growth of any country

and

WiKi : Scientific sanctions against Iranians include all actions taken to directly or indirectly suppress Iranian scientific community.
United States and several other western countries, their scientific communities and companies have been actively involved in suppression of Iranian scientific community and the development of science and technology in Iran.

Now, when sanctions lifted and money and equipment for research can be brought in again, FLOOD GATES for Iranian science will be opened .. and .. many Iranian scientist will return to Iran

Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Restriction of free submission of Iranian manuscripts is not a new matter. However, the recent political decision of the USA Office of Foreign Assets Control of the Department of the Treasury saying who can and who cannot publish scientific papers in journals is completely against free distribution of data in scholarly and scientific communities and scientific journals and publications which requires discussions and challenges with the statutory authorities.
On 30 April, the Dutch publishing behemoth Elsevier of the Netherlands sent a note to its editorial network saying that all U.S. editors and U.S. reviewers must "avoid" handling manuscripts if they include an author employed by the government of Iran.
I have no words to express my feelings on this. But we may be sure that the perpetrators of these barbarisms will sooner or later pay for their actions.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I agree it is a bad thing when academics is drawn into political mud fights.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Iran mass produces long-range anti-ship Qadir cruise missile

Iran has started the mass production of a domestically-manufactured anti-warship cruise missile dubbed Qadir.

The mass production of the long-range missile was launched by the Defense Ministry's Aerospace Industries Organization in a ceremony on Saturday attended by Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan.

Several Qadir missiles were handed over to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)'s naval forces after it was unveiled on August 24, 2014 in a ceremony with President Hassan Rouhani and the defense chief in attendance.

Dehqan told reporters that the missile has already gone through research and prototyping processes as well as successful aviation tests.

“Today, we are simultaneously witnessing the launch of the mass production line and the delivery of this strategic and effective missile in the domain of defense and marine battle,” he said.

Qadir is a new generation of Iranian cruise missiles with a range of 300 kilometers, featuring quick reaction capability, the ability to fly at low altitude, great precision and high destructive power, he added.

He noted that the missile is equipped with advanced radars and is capable of being launched from different vessels and helicopters.

The minister emphasized such great features of the marine missile have provided the Iranian armed forces with higher operational capabilities in the air and sea as well as on the ground.

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/03/1 ... se-missile
Will they be able to sink aircraft carriers?... :twisted:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:I agree it is a bad thing when academics is drawn into political mud fights.
Actually, I would look greatly forward to seeing a no-holds-barred mixed-style fight between the postmodern deconstructionists at the humanities department of the University of Teheran [should they exist] and those at, say, Harvard.

Otherwise, I agree that suppressing the academic publication is a bad thing.

The IEEE ban probably had a big effect, I don't know if it is still in places as I see Iranian engineers from Iran as listed as presenters at IEEE conferences.

However, Science is not participating in the ban.
Heracleum Persicum

For all those who tried Iranian food and love it, Doc, have look

Sweets & Dishes

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Sweets & Dishes

I bought some Iranian saffron from Amazon and it was amazing! When I put it in water it perfumed the entire house!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:

Sweets & Dishes

I bought some Iranian saffron from Amazon and it was amazing! When I put it in water it perfumed the entire house!

Good, NH, good

http://www.payvand.com/news/14/dec/1024.html

"Over 96% of the world saffron production belongs to Iran, but the world knows this farming product under the name of Spain because Iranian producers have for years exported their product to Spain in bulk, where it is packaged under a different name,"

When you buy, grinned it to powder, dissolve it in "hot water" and you can keep it for a month or two (in a small glass container).

Use it for everything .. very very little

Heracleum Persicum

BBC : How Iran's feminist genie escaped

Iran's 1979 revolution may have put an ayatollah in charge - but for women it had plenty of positive side-effects... in education, in the workplace, and even in the home

Heracleum Persicum

rpNrBpmj1qg