Overrated -- the list

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Endovelico

Re: Overrated -- the list

Post by Endovelico »

Crocus sativus wrote:Wagner was a philosopher... Götterdämmerung is an epic philosophical school expressed in form of an Opera.

Nietzsche, Hitler and many others looked @ Wagner for that school.
That's what I mean... Shallow...Immature... :twisted:
noddy

Post by noddy »

Endovelico wrote:
Crocus sativus wrote:Wagner was a philosopher... Götterdämmerung is an epic philosophical school expressed in form of an Opera.

Nietzsche, Hitler and many others looked @ Wagner for that school.
That's what I mean... Shallow...Immature... :twisted:
viking stuff is epic philosophy :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

"American Pie" -- Don McLean

Listen... I understand it's a tribute to Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper all dying in the plane crash, but the song could've easily been a fitting tribute at the four minute mark. I'd even take five. But nearly nine minutes? Number one on my list of most annoying pub sing-a-long songs - best time to take a piss or a cigarette break outside.

My take: it's a maudlin song of cheap sentimentality, and it's way too long for a pop song.
cultivate a white rose
YMix

Post by YMix »

Azrael wrote:My take: it's a maudlin song of cheap sentimentality, and it's way too long for a pop song.
Heathen!
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Azrael wrote:"American Pie" -- Don McLean

Listen... I understand it's a tribute to Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper all dying in the plane crash, but the song could've easily been a fitting tribute at the four minute mark. I'd even take five. But nearly nine minutes? Number one on my list of most annoying pub sing-a-long songs - best time to take a piss or a cigarette break outside.

My take: it's a maudlin song of cheap sentimentality, and it's way too long for a pop song.
nice pick; and I'm going to throw the Eagles and "Hotel California" in the mix.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:

+1 to both.

and while we are at it and im freshly reminded, oliver stone and john lennon.

the former for doing high school levels of depth and the latter for doing primary school levels.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Martha Stewart
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:

+1 to both.

and while we are at it and im freshly reminded, oliver stone and john lennon.

the former for doing high school levels of depth and the latter for doing primary school levels.
Sometimes people get older than the level of a particular subject matter without surpassnig that subject matter. It's not the fault of review instructors that there is a lot of remedial education that needs to be done.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Charlie Rose

Thomas Friedman

Thomas Kinkade
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Seconded re the Eagles and Hotel California.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Azrael wrote:Charlie Rose
A friend of a friend just won a landmark legal case against the Charlie Rose show, saying that they are able to come in at a low budget because they use Interns to do work that would normally be paid for. This victory is likely to cause a landslide of such cases to come about with people suing organizations for back wages. As this issue affects millions of people, it could be fairly significant.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Marissa Mayer

According to the media, she's practically a god; but one of the first things she does after taking the helm of Yahoo! was to scrap Yahoo! Babel Fish (formerly AltaVista Babel Fish). That was incredibly stupid. Babel Fish was great. It was one of the best things about Yahoo!, probably the best thing they had after Yahoo! email and Yahoo! Directory. What's next, Marissa? Are you going to sabotage Yahoo! Directory, too?

Edit: it looks like somebody beat her to it. It looks like Yahoo! Directory hasn't had much new material or editing to fix broken links since 2005.

It looks like Open Directory may be becoming a better bet.
Last edited by Azrael on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Enki wrote:
Azrael wrote:Charlie Rose
A friend of a friend just won a landmark legal case against the Charlie Rose show, saying that they are able to come in at a low budget because they use Interns to do work that would normally be paid for.
Unfortunately, that sordid practice is becoming more and more commonplace, eg Huffington Post.
This victory is likely to cause a landslide of such cases to come about with people suing organizations for back wages. As this issue affects millions of people, it could be fairly significant.
I hope so.
cultivate a white rose
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Julia Roberts
Jennifer Aniston

-- have both made careers out of dim wit and needing more emotional maitenance than a British race car. As Venus-vicarious as crashing cop cars are on Mars, any man foolish enough to lash himself to one of these monu-mental millstones deserves to drown in the inevitable rising ocean of tears, or spend his life chasing the next big emotional realization.

I once thought about a remake of Gone With The Wind. Jennifer Aniston had too narrow a range to play Melanie Wilkes, and the role of Aunt Pittypat would probably send Julia straight down Sunset Boulevard the rest of her days.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Farcus on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Giving boys names to girls

Stacy, Lesley, Ashley, Courtney, Casey, Lindsay . . . they all used to be boys names.

if you write a letter to "Stacy Smith" starting with "Dear Mrs. Smith", and Stacy turns out to be a he, you might lose a client.

Sometimes you can't find a picture on Google to determine the gender, or it's a picture of the wrong "Stacy Smith".
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Latvia and "austerity"

Post by Azrael »

Latvia's response to the Great Recession and "austerity" in general.

(HT Mark Adomanis aka "the Russia Hand")
cultivate a white rose
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

the belief in free lunches and square circles.....

gun control laws....
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Outsourcing, particularly the outsourcing of public safety
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

cultivate a white rose
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Azrael wrote:Giving boys names to girls

Stacy, Lesley, Ashley, Courtney, Casey, Lindsay . . . they all used to be boys names.

if you write a letter to "Stacy Smith" starting with "Dear Mrs. Smith", and Stacy turns out to be a he, you might lose a client.

Sometimes you can't find a picture on Google to determine the gender, or it's a picture of the wrong "Stacy Smith".
You can assume that anything that ends with a 'wye' or an 'ee' sound is a girly name. That's something the culture has decided. Hard consonants or nasty-sounding fricatives - that will be reserved for the guys.....'>>......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:

You can assume that anything that ends with a 'wye' or an 'ee' sound is a girly name. That's something the culture has decided. Hard consonants or nasty-sounding fricatives - that will be reserved for the guys.....'>>......
I would have liked to have seen someone try to tell that to Audie Murphy.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:

I would have liked to have seen someone try to tell that to Audie Murphy.
+1
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Freedom House

"The idea of using the Arab League to name and shame the Russian government never occurred to me." -- Mark Adomanis
cultivate a white rose
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

My daughter is named Logan. Incidence is about 2/3 male, most common female usage is in Ireland and has been for a long time.

One reason we picked it was because of the sexual ambiguity. We figured she will have to be picked off a list of names more than once and deliberately chose a strong given name, plus all the female names in our families are rather old-fashioned.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

So, what inspired you to pick the name "Logan"?
cultivate a white rose