English as a world language

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: English as a world language

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

This has made me curious: anyone around here have the guts to post their voice so we may hear their accents?

On the website I posted above, they give a standard paragraph for elicitation*:

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

(* according to the site: The elicitation paragraph contains most of the consonants, vowels, and clusters of standard American English.)

So anyone game?
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

noddy wrote:my favourite hinglish word is updation.. took me a while to stop laughing when dealing with indian coders.

creation,deletion and updation.
My favourite is "prepone", the logical complement to postpone.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:This has made me curious: anyone around here have the guts to post their voice so we may hear their accents?

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

(* according to the site: The elicitation paragraph contains most of the consonants, vowels, and clusters of standard American English.)

So anyone game?
no.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Torchwood wrote:
noddy wrote:my favourite hinglish word is updation.. took me a while to stop laughing when dealing with indian coders.

blink.. so ... does that mean bring the event forward ?

eg: it was going to be next friday but we preponed it to this friday ?
ultracrepidarian
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

noddy wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

blink.. so ... does that mean bring the event forward ?

eg: it was going to be next friday but we preponed it to this friday ?
Correct, ha*

*Hindi/hinglish for yes
noddy

Post by noddy »

when i roll out code ahead of schedule i can call it "preponing the updation".. sounds rude. i like it.

on a related issue and an example of the misery i inflict upon my fellow workers the standard pattern for dealing with data models is CRUD.. create,retrieve,update and delete but i always use my own pattern - Add Remove Search Edit.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:This has made me curious: anyone around here have the guts to post their voice so we may hear their accents?

So anyone game?
I'm game. But some tech savy type will have to tell me how to post my voice.

Course, all y'all with start imitatin me just to make yerselfs sound more airadight......
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:when i roll out code ahead of schedule i can call it "preponing the updation".. sounds rude. i like it.

on a related issue and an example of the misery i inflict upon my fellow workers the standard pattern for dealing with data models is CRUD.. create,retrieve,update and delete but i always use my own pattern - Add Remove Search Edit.

Anybody who can replace CRUD with ARSE is destined to become world leader.

I'm still your earliest supporter on record and don't you forget when it comes time to appoint sycophants to plumb jobs....
Enki

Post by Enki »

Torchwood wrote:

Chalant is a good one.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Simple Minded wrote:
Course, all y'all with start imitatin me just to make yerselfs sound more airadight......
Oh I say, golly gosh, that would be simply spiffing!

(no no't really mate, yerknowwhat a' mean, innit, cheers)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:when i roll out code ahead of schedule i can call it "preponing the updation".. sounds rude. i like it.

BBC | How the internet is changing language
Hinglish is a blend of Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu and English and is so widespread that it's even being taught to British diplomats.

Mobile phone companies are also updating their apps to reflect its growing use.

In Hinglish, a co-brother is a brother-in-law; eve-teasing means sexual harassment; an emergency crew responding to a crisis might be described as 'airdashing', and somewhat confusing to football fans, a 'stadium' refers to a bald man with a fringe of hair. There's even a new concept of time - "pre-pone", the opposite of postpone, meaning "to bring something forward".
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Torchwood wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Oh I say, golly gosh, that would be simply spiffing!

(no no't really mate, yerknowwhat a' mean, innit, cheers)

:lol:

No troubles mate!

SimpleMindedStandians worship as gods those who sound like they either teach at Oxford or are cast member's of Monty Python's Flying Circus..... ;)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

What will this universal language do to the Roman alphabet?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:What will this universal language do to the Roman alphabet?
Which fonts?

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.