Apochrypha | Jesus was a shape shifter

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Typhoon

Apochrypha | Jesus was a shape shifter

Post by Typhoon »

LiveSci | Shape-Shifting Jesus Described in Ancient Egyptian Text
In the canonical bible the apostle Judas betrays Jesus in exchange for money by using a kiss to identify him leading to Jesus' arrest. This apocryphal tale explains that the reason Judas used a kiss, specifically, is because Jesus had the ability to change shape.

"Then the Jews said to Judas: How shall we arrest him [Jesus], for he does not have a single shape but his appearance changes. Sometimes he is ruddy, sometimes he is white, sometimes he is red, sometimes he is wheat coloured, sometimes he is pallid like ascetics, sometimes he is a youth, sometimes an old man ..." This leads Judas to suggest using a kiss as a means to identify him. If Judas had given the arresters a description of Jesus he could have changed shape. By kissing Jesus Judas tells the people exactly who he is.

This understanding of Judas' kiss goes way back. "This explanation of Judas' kiss is first found in Origen [a theologian who lived A.D. 185-254]," van den Broek writes. In his work, Contra Celsum the ancient writerOrigen, stated that "to those who saw him [Jesus] he did not appear alike to all."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Apochrypha | Jesus was a shape shifter

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

A kiss prevents shape-shifting? Explains Twilight better than it does the Gospels ;)
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Very interesting. Thanks, Colonel Typhoon.

It seems that Christianity changed shape when it crossed the Sinai.

Although I must admit, the bit about Pilate having supper with Jesus was intriguing.

There's a lot of good material for a movie.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:A kiss prevents shape-shifting? Explains Twilight better than it does the Gospels ;)
A thousand years from now, some archeologist may conclude that the Twilight series were holy books.

Come to think of it, drinking Christ's blood sounds a bit like vampirism.
cultivate a white rose