FaceBook versus email . .

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Marcus

FaceBook versus email . .

Post by Marcus »

Hate to betray my ignorance like this but why do people do/use FaceBook rather than simply email?

Is it that email requires a personal, directed, one-on-one exchange whereas FaceBook is more an "if I feel like it" exchange?

Help . . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
YMix

Re: FaceBook versus email . .

Post by YMix »

Marcus wrote:Is it that email requires a personal, directed, one-on-one exchange whereas FaceBook is more an "if I feel like it" exchange?
For the same reason that people use forums such as this one. The message goes out to whoever wants or happens to see it: friends, regulars, random users.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

YMix wrote:
Marcus wrote:Is it that email requires a personal, directed, one-on-one exchange whereas FaceBook is more an "if I feel like it" exchange?
For the same reason that people use forums such as this one. The message goes out to whoever wants or happens to see it: friends, regulars, random users.
That doesn't quite fit . . people use forums like this to hang out a specific subject for comment by whomever. Is that then to say that people who use FaceBook are really hanging their lives out for whomever cares to comment?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
noddy

Post by noddy »

facebooks main social hook is that it recreates the old phone book type searching ability that allows you to lookup people and get their contact details without their consent.

most of the rest of the internet like email, is done by anti social geek coders who think the private contact id should only be deliberately handed out - their is no central registry of looking up an email address for people.

if your the type of person who has "lost contact" with many and wishes to re-find them, then facebook is the current best platform for that - personally i find that aspect of it diabolical :)
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

I get far more well thought out and interesting responses from people on Facebook than I do on this forum. A lot of the responses are even from people with domain expertise.

It's also a great way to maintain a large social network. I have close to 1100 Facebook friends.

I would definitely have lost touch with a great many people if it were not for Facebook.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I spent most of last year disconnected from Facebook; when it came time to plan a surprise party for a friend, it was so much easier to organize everything through facebook then by e-mail.

Other than that, well...
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

It's a generation thing: most of my friends are not on Facebook, all of my sons generation are.

The interface is really annoying and faux cutesy ("What's on your mind" A lot more than I am going to tell the world, mate, on a site with no respect for privacy)

I am staggered by the banality of what some people post. Why should we be interested?

The anonymity of a forum has downsides with trolls, but upsides to encourage frankness.