The horrible meanings behind nursery rhymes

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Nonc Hilaire

The horrible meanings behind nursery rhymes

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/matthew- ... ery-rhymes
It turns out that, according to several internet sites (and who disbelieves the internet?) Humpty Dumpty was a name for a cannon protecting a fort which fell. While the men attempted to lift the cannon again, they were being slaughtered and finally they surrendered because they couldn’t get the cannon working.
This, my children thought was cool. In fact, talk of a cannon and war enticed the boy to come over. Awww. It was a nice family moment predicated on the slaughter of men attempting to raise a cannon to blow their opponents into little bitty opponent pieces. Hey, I’ll take my nice moments where I can get them.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Re: The horrible meanings behind nursery rhymes

Post by noddy »

neat - i was aware of some of the nastier originals but not all of them.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

ashes ashes.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:neat - i was aware of some of the nastier originals but not all of them.
Seconded.

I knew about "ring around the rosie" being a sign of bubonic plague, but not the rest.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Typhoon wrote:
I knew about "ring around the rosie" being a sign of bubonic plague
Urban myth, apparently.
Many folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:

The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.[13]
The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague.[16][19]
The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above).[17][20]
European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[21]
But we all love "Horrible Histories"...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
I knew about "ring around the rosie" being a sign of bubonic plague
Urban myth, apparently.
Many folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:

The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.[13]
The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague.[16][19]
The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above).[17][20]
European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[21]
But we all love "Horrible Histories"...
Well, I knew one of the urban myths . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Shocking News about the Humpty Roman Empire............

Post by monster_gardener »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:http://www.ncregister.com/blog/matthew- ... ery-rhymes
It turns out that, according to several internet sites (and who disbelieves the internet?) Humpty Dumpty was a name for a cannon protecting a fort which fell. While the men attempted to lift the cannon again, they were being slaughtered and finally they surrendered because they couldn’t get the cannon working.
This, my children thought was cool. In fact, talk of a cannon and war enticed the boy to come over. Awww. It was a nice family moment predicated on the slaughter of men attempting to raise a cannon to blow their opponents into little bitty opponent pieces. Hey, I’ll take my nice moments where I can get them.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Nonc.

FWIW the explanation I have heard for Humpty Dumpty is that he is the Roman Empire who the Euroz ;) oops I mean Europeans keep trying to reestablish even with things that are Not Holy, Not Roman, and Not truly Empires as that electrifyingly shocking fellow VOLTaire ;) :twisted: once remarked.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cav ... man-empire
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light