Bill Cosby _ Live!

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Simple Minded

Bill Cosby _ Live!

Post by Simple Minded »

I had the great pleasure of seeing Bill Cosby live in Roanoke, VA last night.

76 years old, and still brilliant. Still reviving stories from his youth, how unfair life and parents are, how as kids we all think we know more than parents, etc. Great universal experiences which make for translatable humor. Yet, not repeating his well loved routines from the 1970's.

As one would expect the crowd was older. Easy to imagine the under 40 crowd thinking "Your parents did what? Why didn't you call social service on them?"

At about the 2 hour and 15 minute mark, he ask someone in the audience what time it was. Some in the audience wanted him to do his "Noah" routine. He said "Hell no! I have not done that in 41 years! I don't remember it! I'm not going to stumble thru it while you all give me dirty looks and mumble "No, no, no...... He's ain't doing it right!"

Class act!

Must have been a trick of lighting.... cause he still looked black from the 12th row! :o
Ibrahim

Re: Bill Cosby _ Live!

Post by Ibrahim »

No arts section for this?

Chris Rock said that Cosby and Pryor are like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. Pryor is Mays, the most exciting player with some of the most memorable antics on the field. Cosby is like Aaron, just quietly racking up hits, RBIs, and home runs until he's the undisputed greatest.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ibrahim wrote:No arts section for this?

Chris Rock said that Cosby and Pryor are like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. Pryor is Mays, the most exciting player with some of the most memorable antics on the field. Cosby is like Aaron, just quietly racking up hits, RBIs, and home runs until he's the undisputed greatest.
He's been in the game for about 50 years!!! I can remember his routines from the late 1960's!

One of the things I've always liked about Cosby is that he seems comfortable in his own skin (no pun intended), damn few celebrities in entertainment, sports or politics seem to possess equanimity.

An inflated sense of self importance seems similar to living in Hell.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Heh, I had an interesting bit with my cousin's wife not too long ago where she posted something about whipping kids with a belt. I told her I didn't think it was appropriate to use a weapon on a child. But the belt was normal in New Mexico when I was a kid, probably still is. But still, I think the flat of the hand is best, and if you're still spanking a 13 year old then you're doing it wrong.

But I definitely think all the time of all the things that we did as kids that would get our parents in trouble now.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Marcus

Re: Bill Cosby _ Live! — IN ALASKA!

Post by Marcus »

Well, eat your hearts out . . Bill Cosby is playing the Alaska State Fair this coming Sunday . . .
cosby.png
cosby.png (216.6 KiB) Viewed 451 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

lMH_uVu2Acs
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Somebody forwarded me one of those Cosby rants about kids today and what they need to do. I don't get why these are so popular among some and offensive to others. Its usually a laundry list of study hard work hard no substance abuse be responsible things that nobody would argue with. Essentially he's telling people not to have problems. It you don't have any problems, things should be just fine. Unless you are murdered by random criminals on the side of a highway.

Point being, I don't really object to his advice per se but I strongly prefer his comedy albums.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ibrahim wrote:Somebody forwarded me one of those Cosby rants about kids today and what they need to do. I don't get why these are so popular among some and offensive to others. Its usually a laundry list of study hard work hard no substance abuse be responsible things that nobody would argue with. Essentially he's telling people not to have problems. It you don't have any problems, things should be just fine. Unless you are murdered by random criminals on the side of a highway.

Point being, I don't really object to his advice per se but I strongly prefer his comedy albums.
Ibrahim, now you sound like Laura Ingraham!!

Old farts are always going to preach to the younguns from the gospel of personal responsibility.

Younguns are always going to bitch that life is unfair cause people are racist, sexist, fatist, skinnyist, shortist, tallist, richist, poorest.....,
my parents aren't Bill Gates and Halle Barry, the wrong party is in power....,
those people that don't recognize my brilliance are stupid...,
people without decades of experience making mistakes have poor judgment..,
people who have not worked and saved for decades don't have any capital, etc.

Some things are timeless. Like..... Never trust anyone over 30....Dude! ;)