Children

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Children

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Ibrahim wrote:As for regrets? A person might regret having/not having children the same way they might regret any other consumer choice. "Never should have bought that condo." "W regret not getting a second car sooner."

Many people ignore their children or don't even pretend to look after them. Speak to somebody involved with Family Court sometime, hear 100 depressing stories in 20 minutes.
Well, from a 'certain perspective' you aren't even a human being by the time it gets to that........

What's buried in the 'pro-life' position is an inversion of the 'pro-choice' ordering of what life is, and what being human is. Life is an existential imperative, it just simply is, and takes priority over personal prerogative. Life is not defined by freedom, happiness, love and achievement - those things just float around in life like chunks of potato in soup. Life simply IS. Being human is a choice, a constant decision enforced by daily habit. You are not human by your biology or your DNA, those are largely irrelevant. Humanity exists in culture and not anthropology. Being human accepts that life is more important than mere 'being you' - it is the only way you can face death and not go insane. The pro-life, pro-natalist position is never articulated nor examined critically, so it's difficult to say anything without sounding like you're maundering on...... like waxwing......

I think the above is a good stab at it........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I know that I don't want children in my twenties, but I know I don't want to be without children in my eighties. For now, all I see is that they are loud, expensive, sticky, smelly, and they're always spilling lavender.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim Your first principles are flawed. Having children does not become a consumer choice just because conditions have made it so that consumer decisionmaking processes are inputted into the process.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:Ibrahim Your first principles are flawed. Having children does not become a consumer choice just because conditions have made it so that consumer decisionmaking processes are inputted into the process.

I should perhaps instead say that the decision to have children is treated as a consumer choice in modern consumer societies.
Marcus

Maundering on and on and on . . .

Post by Marcus »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:. . so it's difficult to say anything without sounding like you're maundering on...... like waxwing......
:o . . didn't think you cared, Liz, but you forgot the narcissism.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

oh, can I pls? I don't need a side order of that......'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........