Firearms and other Weapons

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Simple Minded

Re: Firearms and other Weapons

Post by Simple Minded »

Enki wrote:LOL, there was plenty of opportunity for such things when I was a kid. Old people, particularly boomers seem to have a deepseated desire to imagine that our childhoods sucked. It is a strange obsession.
LOL......Tinker, You always make me smile..... either need to work on your reading comprehension.... or not read a couple sentences and assume volumes (I think that might be related to attitude, not reading skill). ;)

As always, I write about people I know, and you assume its all about you....... ;)

Kinda figured the generation of permanent victims would appreciate a little "aww you poor baby..." ;)

Glad to hear you had a "normal" child hood BTW :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Marcus wrote:Here's another for you, Tinker, true story:

The summer of '59 I was 19 and belonged to The Hangtown Gunslingers, a "fast draw" club in Placerville, California. We'd all dress up like cowboys, strap on our six-shooters, and met, Saturday nights I think, in the school gymnasium where we'd mess around, trying to find out who was the fastest gun. After the meeting we'd go downtown Placerville to a restaurant for pie and coffee, gunbelts and all. One night the waitress told us that a couple back-east tourists had been in during our previous visit. The tourist lady asked our waitress, "Goodness, do the men still wear guns out here?"

And you think things haven't changed . . . :lol:
GUNS IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

No wonder they are still tramatized!!! Now we know who to blame...

Those tourists need to stay the hell outa mush, must, much of the South West.....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

cdgt wrote:When I was in 16 and 17, I used to strap a gun on my back, get on my bicycle, no helmet, and ride through my residential neighborhood to get to the woods a mile or so away where I hunted squirrel and deer.

Today, they would probably call in a swat team. And that would just be for the bicycle helmet violation. :lol:
Are you the old, or maybe not so much, Cognitive Distoibance???

Good news is now that we have national health care, the SWAT teams will soon be rounding up adolescents riding bicycles without helmets as enemies of the state!

No bicycle helmets will soon replace the hoodie as a juvenile sign of "I'm a bad ass!" or "No limit honky!"
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Marcus wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Marcus wrote:The summer of '59 I was 19 and belonged to The Hangtown Gunslingers, a "fast draw" club in Placerville, California. We'd all dress up like cowboys, strap on our six-shooters, and met,
:lol:

Do Canadians even know what pistols are? . . . :o

You're focusing on the wrong things.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Ibrahim wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Marcus wrote:The summer of '59 I was 19 and belonged to The Hangtown Gunslingers, a "fast draw" club in Placerville, California. We'd all dress up like cowboys, strap on our six-shooters, and met,
:lol:
Do Canadians even know what pistols are? . . . :o
You're focusing on the wrong things.
No, you are . . . . . . your turn . . . . ;)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

Simple Minded wrote:
cdgt wrote:When I was in 16 and 17, I used to strap a gun on my back, get on my bicycle, no helmet, and ride through my residential neighborhood to get to the woods a mile or so away where I hunted squirrel and deer.

Today, they would probably call in a swat team. And that would just be for the bicycle helmet violation. :lol:
Are you the old, or maybe not so much, Cognitive Distoibance???
Possibly. ;)
Simple Minded wrote:Good news is now that we have national health care, the SWAT teams will soon be rounding up adolescents riding bicycles without helmets as enemies of the state!

No bicycle helmets will soon replace the hoodie as a juvenile sign of "I'm a bad ass!" or "No limit honky!"
Pretty soon we'll all be wearing helmets if we wish to just be pedestrians.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Thread hijack removed to where it belongs: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=636
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thank you, and now that the kinky stuff is gone, back to the subject of guns and such.

Some photos to illustrate my efforts to share how I grew up:
IMG_0576_2.jpg
IMG_0576_2.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Taken about three years ago after coming back from taking our oldest granddaughter rabbit hunting. She popped two rabbits that morning using the very same gun, a Mossberg, bolt-action .410, that I used the first time out with my dad 60 years before. You shoot it, you clean it, and you eat it.
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Same thing a couple years later with our youngest granddaughter. It's our oldest grandson's turn this fall.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

Two items:

:)

And because I like the concept of bullpups, a review of a bullpup-like pistol:

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012 ... eview.html

Check out the magazine--out of the box thinking.

I've got next to zero interest in a 9mm, but the design is fascinating.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Do the gun enthusiasts here start out with air rifles or BB guns? Or did you start straight into real firearms as kids?

I owned and played with an air rifle a lot as a kid, but never graduated into being a gun collector. A break action Winchester firing those .177 pellets IIRC.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Ibrahim wrote:Do the gun enthusiasts here start out with air rifles or BB guns? Or did you start straight into real firearms as kids?

I owned and played with an air rifle a lot as a kid, but never graduated into being a gun collector. A break action Winchester firing those .177 pellets IIRC.
I started with a Red Ryder BB gun, moved "up" to a Daisy, tube-loaded pump BB gun, and then to a single-shot, Winchester .22. First time out in the woods, hunting with my dad, at 11 with a bolt-action, Mossberg .410. Never looked back.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

My parents, who did not have a gun in the home, signed me and my brothers up for an NRA marksmanship program. It was conducted in the shooting range at the cavernous Rec Hall on the campus of Penn State. Target .22 rifles, shooting jackets, shooting gloves (there is a nasty artery in the web of your shooting hand that can impact the ... impact) and such. Air guns were OK, we had them, but I started buying guns as soon as it was legal, which for me was 16 years old. That was a Savage 12ga single-shot. Ironically, it is one of the few I haven't sold or traded off over the years--and is at my parent's house.

Airguns are OK, shotguns are pretty useful, handguns are convenient, but accurate rifles are ... interesting.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I started with a BB gun, then a Sears .22 bolt action, then a Marlin semiauto .22 that looked a whole lot like an M1 carbine. The first gun I ever got myself was the old Ithaca 37 Featherweight, which kicked hard enough with slugs to make your children be born naked.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

My dad did not let us own bb guns, he thought kids would be more careless with them than a real gun. It's an interesting thought. I have done the same with my kids and it's worked fine. I don't begrudge anyone doing it different though.
Censorship isn't necessary
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

Mr. Perfect wrote:My dad did not let us own bb guns, he thought kids would be more careless with them than a real gun. It's an interesting thought. I have done the same with my kids and it's worked fine. I don't begrudge anyone doing it different though.
^ I don't extend this to air guns, but I do to paintball. Specially since the point of the latter is to aim guns at people and shoot them. Seems to desensitize something that shouldn't be desensitized.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Interesting point, had not thought of that. Only ever paintballed once, seemed like a hobby that would be difficult to maintiain (co-ordinating all those people) and none of the younguns ever done it yet. Would have to consider that.
Enki

Post by Enki »

I don't think paintball desensitizes you to it. There is very little more instructive about a gunfight than getting a shot right to the chest less than ten seconds out of the gate.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I agree, I thought the paintballing showed some interesting things, particularly the chaos and accidents. I got shot in the back of the head right out of the gate by a teammate once and boy I began to distrust people behind me at a whole new level. You have a good point, I may look into that again.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh i found paintball sensitised me - both with the being shot out of the gate aspect but even more scary was being hit from nowhere by a stray bullet when a long way from the action...

it was in a forest, both teams at either end and i was sneeking as sneekily as i could muster and still quite a distance from engagement, splat, a paintball between the eyes from a random shot from a person who was just shooting "up ahead".
ultracrepidarian
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

I try not to point a gun at anything that I would not mind destroying. And I do not insert my finger into the trigger guard unless I have positively made my mind up to destroy that at which I am aiming. If that is you, a person, one of us (at least) just got a little less human.

I can't make that a game, and I do not wish those who are around me with guns in their hands thinking such matters can be a game.

If you want to use slingshots, great. But sights, triggers and such that directly emulate a gun, no sir, not for me.

They are older now and can do as they see fit, but my sons did not play paintball while on my watch.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh my childhood and young adult experience of real guns from my father and his crew was very simmilar in attitude.. deadly serious offence to not have the barrel pointing down and away at all times, loaded or unloaded, horseplay was completely unacceptable.. it is only raised to shoot and then lowered again.

it was all rifles (22 hornet, level action winchester 44, 303) and mostly shooting feral vermin like foxes, rabbits, goats and wild dogs.
ultracrepidarian
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

I played paintball a few times. Did not associate it with firearms at all, just felt too goofy. I guess it's closer than laser tag, since it does sting a bit getting shot instead of just beeping.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Ibrahim wrote:I played paintball a few times. Did not associate it with firearms at all, just felt too goofy. I guess it's closer than laser tag, since it does sting a bit getting shot instead of just beeping.
Spengler once told me that was his reaction to catch-and-release fishing—feeling goofy or stupid.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

We yes paintball to do force- on- force shooting scenarios for a couple of years. It will disabuse you of certain notions. It can be a valuable training tool if everyone treats it as such. It hurts enough that I wouldn't call it fun, and won't do it except for good reason.
cdgt

Post by cdgt »

I don't doubt it is valuable training tool for people who should train to shoot people. Those are excepted in my mind. And I suppose there are a few mature souls who can separate game from reality. I am cynical about how few of the latter exist. Some present company excepted.

But I would not gladly share in a number of gun-related excercises (engaging in a deer drive to (on the other doubtful extreme) defending ground) with persons whose primary shooting "experience" was paintball. I'm funny that way, I guess. ;)

I saw an durian nearly blow his own foot off (just missied) with a 12ga semi-auto. (Long barrel, kinda hard to do, actually.) I told the owner if that guy was ever allowed back, I would not come.