What ever happened to Ceausescu?

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
YMix

What ever happened to Ceausescu?

Post by YMix »

Azrael wrote:So Securitate wanted to get rid of him. Likewise, perhaps the KGB wanted to get rid of Gorbi. They and their partners in crime did quite well financially under Yeltsin.

]Has Stănculescu done well financially since then? It seems that he didn't start to feel the heat for his previous actions against protesters until 1999.

Perhaps he was told that the helicopter was the only option. Perhaps he was told that the Blue Arrow had been sabotaged.
I don't know whether the Securitate wanted to get rid of him or simply got with the program. With the Russians and the West firmly against Ceauşescu, there was no way to win. Stănculescu did somewhat poorly, and ended up in prison for having fired on the Timisoara protesters on December 16, 1989. He tried to compensate for that by betraying and killing Ceauşescu, but it did him no good in the end. He was stripped of his rank and his wife jumped from a window in despair.

Many Securitate people did very well. They are Romania's business elite today.

I was talking about Ceauşescu's decision with a member of the older generation who had worked for one of Securitate's financial audit divisions. He told me that Ceauşescu was a simple country boy (with a knack for a certain type of politics) who didn't understand things such as bunkers and fortresses. Ceauşescu went to his death in Târgovişte like a Communist revolutionary, singing The International and lines from "Awaken, Romanian!".
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Re: What ever happened to Ceausescu?

Post by YMix »

It was suspected at one time that it was this trip that introduced Ceauşescu to this kind of public shows. The wonder and enthusiasm are plain to see on his face.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
AzariLoveIran

Nicolae Ceauşescu

Post by AzariLoveIran »

e5P8bWsl-DI
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

YMix wrote:
Azrael wrote:So Securitate wanted to get rid of him. Likewise, perhaps the KGB wanted to get rid of Gorbi. They and their partners in crime did quite well financially under Yeltsin.

]Has Stănculescu done well financially since then? It seems that he didn't start to feel the heat for his previous actions against protesters until 1999.

Perhaps he was told that the helicopter was the only option. Perhaps he was told that the Blue Arrow had been sabotaged.
I don't know whether the Securitate wanted to get rid of him or simply got with the program. With the Russians and the West firmly against Ceauşescu, there was no way to win. Stănculescu did somewhat poorly, and ended up in prison for having fired on the Timisoara protesters on December 16, 1989. He tried to compensate for that by betraying and killing Ceauşescu, but it did him no good in the end. He was stripped of his rank and his wife jumped from a window in despair.
Too little, too late, I guess.
Many Securitate people did very well. They are Romania's business elite today.
I thought so. I hear that the same thing is common in other former Warsaw Pact and former USSR countries.
I was talking about Ceauşescu's decision with a member of the older generation who had worked for one of Securitate's financial audit divisions. He told me that Ceauşescu was a simple country boy
Perhaps easier to manipulate? But perhaps not. Some considered Stalin a simple country boy. Stalin was more than that, I think.
(with a knack for a certain type of politics) who didn't understand things such as bunkers and fortresses. Ceauşescu went to his death in Târgovişte like a Communist revolutionary, singing The International and lines from "Awaken, Romanian!".
If true, I suppose he figured his number was up and wanted to go down like a man.
cultivate a white rose
YMix

Post by YMix »

I thought so. I hear that the same thing is common in other former Warsaw Pact and former USSR countries.
Yes. They had the financial know-how and the connections to go into business.
Perhaps easier to manipulate? But perhaps not. Some considered Stalin a simple country boy. Stalin was more than that, I think.
Ceauşescu was far less intelligent and cultured than Stalin.
If true, I suppose he figured his number was up and wanted to go down like a man.
Quite likely.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:This is consistent with most of Chinese history.

Oddly enough, the Maoist era was probably something of an aberration. Although Mao and his cronies certainly did not want, unlike 10 of millions of Chinese who died from their policies, neither did they have billions stashed away in overseas accounts
Ceauşescu was like that, too. Back in early 1990, we were shown footage from inside the protocol houses used by the "royal couple" and we were told that Ceauşescu had 4 million $ in a Swiss bank account. That was taken then as proof of the man's wickedness. Nowadays, I'm struck by how little money he had. Compared to some of the present-day oligarchs, Ceauşescu was downright modest and honest.
Enki

Post by Enki »

YMix wrote:
Typhoon wrote:This is consistent with most of Chinese history.

Oddly enough, the Maoist era was probably something of an aberration. Although Mao and his cronies certainly did not want, unlike 10 of millions of Chinese who died from their policies, neither did they have billions stashed away in overseas accounts
Ceauşescu was like that, too. Back in early 1990, we were shown footage from inside the protocol houses used by the "royal couple" and we were told that Ceauşescu had 4 million $ in a Swiss bank account. That was taken then as proof of the man's wickedness. Nowadays, I'm struck by how little money he had. Compared to some of the present-day oligarchs, Ceauşescu was downright modest and honest.
You were right to think that way back then. It's wrong that we are so accepting of people like Mitt Romney and their hundreds of millions in unaccounted offshore accounts.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

Maybe we were right. I'm mostly pissed off by how easily we were manipulated into supporting the new gang.

Also, while Ceauşescu may have been personally relatively honest, his economic ideas engendered massive corruption across the country.
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

YMix wrote:.

Maybe we were right. I'm mostly pissed off by how easily we were manipulated into supporting the new gang.

Also, while Ceauşescu may have been personally relatively honest, his economic ideas engendered massive corruption across the country.

that's a good one

YMix, that itself is corruption

You guys where the corrupt ones .. but instead .. you executed the honest "Ceauşescu" :lol:

why not keep Ceauşescu but prosecute and execute the corrupt ones .. this way an
example would have been set that corruption mean execution

but

The way it was handled, meant, relaaax if you corrupt, somebody else will be executed

that is why Romania still same Romania, probably worst

YMix

Post by YMix »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:why not keep Ceauşescu but prosecute and execute the corrupt ones .. this way an
Because the powerful corrupt ones executed Ceauşescu and took control of the place. And genuflect Ceauşescu, he had it coming.
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

YMix wrote:.
Jnalum Persicum wrote:.

why not keep Ceauşescu but prosecute and execute the corrupt ones .. this way an
Because the powerful corrupt ones executed Ceauşescu and took control of the place. And genuflect Ceauşescu, he had it coming.

Ceauşescu was an durian .. he thought honesty pays, apparently it doesn't in Rumania (and elsewhere)

He should have amassed his coffers, hired professional killers as body guards and he would be having martini now in Marbella

instead

the corrupt fat guys havin the martini in Marbela