Futurism of the Past

The future is so bright that we have to wear shades. Speculations about the future.
Typhoon

Futurism of the Past

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Futurism of the Past

Post by Typhoon »

Columbian Exposition 1893 - Chicago

sZ3ExALdSLA

World's Fair 64 - New York

2-5aK0H05jk

Expo 67 - Montreal

_Rd9BE1fHjM

Expo 70 - Osaka

a9r1i64xeWg
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Shows the error of Malthusian reasoning.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Shows the error of Malthusian reasoning.
Indeed.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

David O'Brien, The problem with the future

What will be is hard to know, but going back is not an option

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 52429.html
The world seems as if it's on a path of accelerated technological change, where new developments are limited only by the ability to imagine them. If that's true, however, why do we seem less imaginative and hopeful about the future than we were in the past?

The University of British Columbia has been asking its experts for the last five years to identify the advances that might transform the world in the future. They came up with nine ideas this year, including so-called "intelligent architecture" -- buildings that would anticipate the needs of their users and shift their shapes and functions accordingly.

In the world of journalism, new technology will decipher, analyze and put into context the zillions of messages that make up social media. It will tell us more about ourselves than we dreamed possible.

Robots will clean sewers and water mains, while medical tricorders -- the kind first seen on Star Trek in the 1960s -- will diagnose our health. Three of the nine new ideas involved technology that would allow doctors to predict a person's vulnerability to disease and organ failure.

It's all great stuff, but most of it was pretty predictable. Interesting, but ho-hum, as far as predictions go. Better buildings, better medicine, better journalism.

The World Future Society wasn't much more inspiring; its No. 1 prediction last year was that by 2030, everything you say and do might be recorded. It also forecast that the world's legal systems will be networked and that the day of the car as king of the road was coming to an end.

Compare today's indifferent prognostications with the idealism of Star Trek, which envisioned the day when crime and greed would no longer exist, and people would use their time to improve humanity. Much of the advanced technology featured on Star Trek actually came to pass in the form of cellphones, Bluetooth, automatic doors, laser surgery and more.

The Star Trek of the 1960s presented a fictionalized version of the future, but a Canadian TV series called Here Come the Seventies, a half-hour documentary program, looked at anticipated technological marvels and social innovations that could be expected in the 1970s. It was broadcast weekly for more than two years between 1970 and 1973. A list of the episodes (available at TVarchives.ca) is itself a fascinating glimpse into the era.

People, the series wrongly predicted, would only work 20 hours a week in the future and boredom would be a real problem because everyone would have too much leisure time. Jet packs worn on the back would be viable means of personal transportation in cities; prisons would succeed as reformatories, but police would be armed with lasers and dye guns to fight crime.

Various episodes in the series correctly predicted the oil crisis and the need for new forms of clean energy. The end of privacy and the rise "super-snoopers" was also envisioned. Organic farming was promoted, but "could it feed the masses?" one episode asked.

Overall, the series presented an assessment of the future that was optimistic and imaginative, if naive and frequently incorrect.

The problem with the future is it has never lived up to its promise. Instead of rewarding us with lots of free time to improve ourselves, the future has left us busier than ever, and more stressed. Extremes (of wealth, poverty, crime, weather, etc.) are rising, not falling. Everything operates at high speed. We're wired for instant gratification. Relaxation is available by plugging into another world online.

Rather than elevate humanity, the future has exposed our natural instincts for bullying, eavesdropping and snooping on the private affairs of others. The future has not made us better parents, much less better people.

The problem with the future, then, is that it's not Star Trek, it's not even Here Come the Seventies, but hopefully it's not 1984 or Brave New World, or any of the visions of the past that predicted gloom and doom for a society that was advancing too quickly.

On the other hand, new homes that anticipate our needs sound pretty good. I also look forward to getting my own medical tricorder so I can self-diagnose with greater accuracy than I get from the Internet now. I can't wait for the new journalism of the future.

The future may not have lived up to the hype, but can anyone imagine going back to the typewriter and rabbit ears for the TV?

Now, if I could just figure out how to use all these new gadgets. I've been resisting the future, even though I know it's inevitable. Just accept it, everyone says, and you'll feel better and have less stress.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

. . . . . . ;)
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (174.13 KiB) Viewed 19907 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

I know who misses him.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

fOk6HQaNpdE
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:Image
Thank you Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

:lol:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It's called a thin flat screen OLED TV.

Quite prophetic except for the display shape and the vacuum tube sized control console.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Image
Thank you Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

:lol:
Bravo!!!

Does not give one a warm fuzzy about our current state of elightenment........... does it?

Answering the question from the man in the front left... "Weeeeellllllll..... no...... not...... everyone.....
Nonc Hilaire

German tank warfare concept from 1916

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

hQ8T1sxfTw8
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

The future is unforeseen and unpredicted, a causality that defies human awareness and imagination. To predict a future is by definition, to void its possibility and occurrence....'>......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ZdxibxcTc6U