Futurism of the Past

The future is so bright that we have to wear shades. Speculations about the future.
Typhoon

Re: Futurism of the Past

Post by Typhoon »

ituFqnI0ANo
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Man I miss when the future was great. Now the future is all about global warming and plagues and asteroids and zombies.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

V6DSu3IfRlo
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Man I miss when the future was great. Now the future is all about global warming and plagues and asteroids and zombies.
+1
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

on the other hand...... we'll look great in skintight latex suits.....'>........

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:on the other hand...... we'll look great in skintight latex suits.....'>........

some of we will..
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

io6OIDwQiaA
Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Man I miss when the future was great. Now the future is all about global warming and plagues and asteroids and zombies.
That's because we've already achieved a whole lot of the halcyon cool stuff.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hoosiernorm wrote:V6DSu3IfRlo
This is one of the few predictions of the future that was actually not optimistic enough. Little did he know that by 1995 the home office would be orders of magnitude more advanced than that.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Image
Business opportunity concept here. Teach a Roomba to analyze crumbs, send the results to NSA/Google and watch your adservs targeting change.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

having cats and dogs in the house - i always think of this when i see a roomba

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82784667/
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

To translate the obvious:

母親 [hahaoya] -> parent

ロボット [robotto] -> robot

This image of the future past is ripe with irony.

Aside from industrial automation, the major drive for [humanoid] robot development in Japan has been to assist the aging elderly population rather than to take care of the young.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

We have so many aspiring weeaboo here that want to put their language skills and cultural affiliation to good use. Give them a chance to work in nursing homes for the elderly, who may otherwise have to have android companions to contend with. Who knows, a real human being may be worth it for some...'>>......
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:We have so many aspiring weeaboo here that want to put their language skills and cultural affiliation to good use. Give them a chance to work in nursing homes for the elderly, who may otherwise have to have android companions to contend with. Who knows, a real human being may be worth it for some...'>>......
What the origin of the word "weeaboo"? I don't think it's from Japanese.

There are nurses from overseas, but the language exam is challenging

I doubt that many anime/manga fans could pass it.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

it's a mutililisation of a mongrel term.........

Anyway.... on some other boards I frequent, they are rather insistent in feeling that the country of their obsessions needs help with their popular culture somehow, or as native english teachers. You don't want then for their english language skills, either. I think they would be more useful in changing bedpans or transitioning people from bed to wheel chair. If anything. If they can handle it...'>......
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:it's a mutililisation of a mongrel term.........
Ah. Thanks for the info. Interesting.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:iAnyway.... on some other boards I frequent, they are rather insistent in feeling that the country of their obsessions needs help with their popular culture somehow, or as native english teachers. You don't want then for their english language skills, either. I think they would be more useful in changing bedpans or transitioning people from bed to wheel chair. If anything. If they can handle it...'>......
There is a general [mistaken] belief in Japan that English is hard/very difficult/impossible for Japanese to learn.

This is due, in part, to the the very poor manner in which English is taught in high school: grammar rules by Japanese teachers who often don't speak English.

Changing bedpans and dealing with the infirm elderly is not for the faint of heart.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:Image
[Land boat]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki

Post by Enki »

The desire for the urban Utopia has been replaced by pastoralism? Demographic trends would argue with his points pretty hard. New York City has been trying very hard to become what those pictures show.
-Alexander Hamilton
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

800px-ThrustSSC_front.jpg
800px-ThrustSSC_front.jpg (104.54 KiB) Viewed 12050 times

LKQ-xj5C2m8

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Teresa of Ávila