Suggestions

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Azrael

Re: Suggestions

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:
Azrael wrote:We should start a subforum for trashing stuff we hate. It would come in handy. For example, I could start a thread trashing Nickelback.
Done. In the Hell section.
Great. Thanks.
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:
Enki wrote:Can you set it so that links open in another tab? I like that feature.
Certainly. Can you point me to the tab on the admin board where this is found?
I don't remember, I'll have to look into it.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:1. Keep the moderation tight. The lack of it at the old forum was well-intentioned but eventually reduced the forum to unreadable lavender. But of course the creepy deletions, edits and bannings of ATOL were also a failure. Simply shunting threads/posts that ramble OT into unmoderated Hell should be sufficient.
It would be most appreciated if the posters would be so kind as to continue to take the forum rules into consideration when posting.
Posters have so far done so, with the exception of a few incidents, and the mods are grateful for it.
Yeah, so far so good. Trying to keep that "new forum smell."

Ibrahim wrote:2. Keep the tanooki avatar.
Certainly. Will only change it when I find something that amuses me more.
Should the day come, I nominate Ebisu. Never bow to the gaijin and his desert gods.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

hmn...... seems to be a tough but fair-minded chap.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:hmn...... seems to be a tough but fair-minded chap.......

Indeed he's quite the fellow, I first learned about him from a previous post by CS.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:hmn...... seems to be a tough but fair-minded chap.......
Indeed he's quite the fellow, I first learned about him from a previous post by CS.
Good beer.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typoon

there is so many threads that one forgets or can not find the right thread to post in

is would be helpful to have, a list, a site with names and links to all threads

so,

when one wants to post a new subject

one can have a look @ the list, and decide where it should be posted

otherwise, duplicate will happen

crashtech

Post by crashtech »

Not sure how that would be any better that the site index, along with the quick search functions, like "View your posts," and "View active topics."
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

crashtech wrote:.
Not sure how that would be any better that the site index, along with the quick search functions, like "View your posts," and "View active topics."
all those features not ideal .. have always difficulty searching for specific subjects .. seems, search designed for single word

in any case, IMO, a list of all thread (expandable to sub-threads) would be greatly helpful

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

That sounds nasty, hacky and increasingly expensive to run on a regular basis as the forum grows.

It might be simpler to allow Googlebots to index all the forum topics, if currently disallowed, and use a
site:http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/ [whatever]
search in Google to find what you are after.

For an example of what that gives you, try pasting:
site:http://spengler.atimes.net/ penises
into Google. Five pages. Who knew, right?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sparky wrote:That sounds nasty, hacky and increasingly expensive to run on a regular basis as the forum grows.

It might be simpler to allow Googlebots to index all the forum topics, if currently disallowed, and use a
site:http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/ [whatever]
search in Google to find what you are after.

For an example of what that gives you, try pasting:
site:http://spengler.atimes.net/ penises
into Google. Five pages. Who knew, right?
All bots are permitted to index all forums.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran wrote:
crashtech wrote:.
all those features not ideal .. have always difficulty searching for specific subjects .. seems, search designed for single word

in any case, IMO, a list of all thread (expandable to sub-threads) would be greatly helpful

Let me Google that for you
Enki

Post by Enki »

Can we change 'Reality' to 'History'? I thought about doing that at Diegetics.

Also, maybe Futurism should be put into Science/Technology/Futurism.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:Can we change 'Reality' to 'History'? I thought about doing that at Diegetics.
If you create a poll thread, we can put it to a vote.
Enki wrote:Also, maybe Futurism should be put into Science/Technology/Futurism.
This one is less of a change, okay.

The sections were created to mirror the Diegetics board back when there was a hope that we could easily transfer a backup . . .
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Somebody needs to go over to Spengler's and invite Hockey Dad to these fora . . he needs it:

by Hockey Dad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:41 pm
Hello again Waxwing, evidently you had NO LUCK in finding something relevant to this new thread.
Some people who constantly display signs of deficit of attention, only have themselves to blame for it.
Did you hear of the new forum rule, that lifetime postings are now to be limited to 9000?

How the hell do those people over there tolerate this kind of diarrheic drivel?

by waxwing001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:53 am
This Newt better be careful or his voice may cause hysterial in girls when he opens his mouth instaed of being calminhg influence so he have to take longer job of serving beast whores in house of whoredom after his 3rd wife leaves him to find peace in her own life

Somebody go give Hockey Dad a heads-up . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Maybe someone did. What gives?........;>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Maybe someone did. What gives?........;>.......
Beats the whoopee out of me . . why that forum, supposedly a place to exchange intelligent discussion around David's writings, continues to allow such offensive, narcissistic, diarrheic drool is beyond me . . :?

Whoever he/she is, they must have something on somebody . . who knows . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I've invited Booklady, Doc, and several other to join the OTNOT forum, but so far they have not done so.

All are welcome.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Enki wrote:Can we change 'Reality' to 'History'? I thought about doing that at Diegetics.

Or we could merge Reality and Futurism and call it something like "Past, Present, Future".
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:

Or we could merge Reality and Futurism and call it something like "Past, Present, Future".
Like.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Or Back to the Future?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

or: The Timeless
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:or: The Timeless
α and ω.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Can we now start posting Spengler articles to the board here. No one is left on the Atol board except Me, Jim the Moron, Jim's alter ego Waxwing, JITIY, Booklady, and Cassowary.
Been busy doing stuff
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Seconded . . . Goldman, like ALI, offers opinion one doesn't often hear elsewhere.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin