Complaints

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Simple Minded

Re: Complaints

Post by Simple Minded »

Ibrahim wrote:
noddy wrote:4 basic categories could suffice.

ghosts and white dogs
gooks and nippers
towel heads and curry munchers
niggers and misc darkies

This is good, but we could get it down to two:

Us

Them
How bout just one: discontented or discount tented (like the summer of my discount tent.)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ghosts and white dogs
gooks and nippers
niggers and misc darkies
the one true faith believers vs heathens and godless pinko commie bastards

breeders vs chutney ferrets and carpet munchers

Although

us vs them

would also work
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
I goofed in setting up the N Am section. Wanted to have have three sub-sections: Canada, USA, and Mexico.

Still have not had the time to fix it.
That's prescience; not procrastination.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:

ghosts and white dogs
gooks and nippers
niggers and misc darkies
the one true faith believers vs heathens and godless pinko commie bastards

breeders vs chutney ferrets and carpet munchers
aah, thats the philosophy and lifestyle sub sections sorted, mayhaps change otf believers to god botherers.

i briefly pondered if we also needed a current events for wogs and dagos as this would account for the blur between white dogs and towel heads but decided that it was more appropriate to randomly lump them with the aforementioned depending on agenda and context - misc darkies can do if undecided.
Typhoon wrote: us vs them
nonono, this would be the worst option - the usual offenders would obviously assume they where "us" and then admin work would go up considerably as they demanded everything else be moved to "them"
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Both the American and ME sections are as they are due to board history and to pragmatics, so they will stay as they are.

Also, it's a lot more work to rearrange sections than threads.

I goofed in setting up the N Am section. Wanted to have have three sub-sections: Canada, USA, and Mexico.

Too many subsections of subsections CS. How about two? Funny and Serious? Though I like the heaven and hell sections as well. Perhaps a miracles and a science as well.

The problem is that there are getting to be so many different sections it is getting hard to remember where one has posted something to check for replies.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:.

The problem is that there are getting to be so many different sections it is getting hard to remember where one has posted something to check for replies.

true

I proposed a few times there should be a list of threads .. each time I must make a search to find threads

Doc

Post by Doc »

How about getting rid of the warning page (or if possible make it stick out more) that someone else has made a post to the thread while you were writing your post. Several times now I have found that what it was I thought I posted wasn't posted at all.

Thanks
Doc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Anyone else have difficulty with the browser freezing or not responding? This is the only page it does it on and usually when posting
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Both the American and ME sections are as they are due to board history and to pragmatics, so they will stay as they are.

Also, it's a lot more work to rearrange sections than threads.

Too many subsections of subsections CS. How about two? Funny and Serious? Though I like the heaven and hell sections as well. Perhaps a miracles and a science as well.

When I have another moment, I'll look into implementing a list of active threads on the front page not unlike HP's suggestion.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Anyone else have difficulty with the browser freezing or not responding? This is the only page it does it on and usually when posting
Have you tried the usual voodoo? Clearing the browser cache. Deleting the board cookies [bottom right of the page] and logging back in. Restarting the browser.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:Anyone else have difficulty with the browser freezing or not responding? This is the only page it does it on and usually when posting
Have you tried the usual voodoo? Clearing the browser cache. Deleting the board cookies [bottom right of the page] and logging back in. Restarting the browser.
That works but for only a few pages then it's back to freezing or not responding.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
That works but for only a few pages then it's back to freezing or not responding.
The challenge in figuring out the cause is that I can't reproduce the problem on my browser.

Which browser are you using?

Also, to second Hoosiernorm's question, has anyone else experienced this problem? And if so, using which browser and version?
Endovelico

Re: Japan

Post by Endovelico »

Endovelico wrote:NOTE: THIS IS A RECONSTITUTION OF MY ORIGINAL POST, BEFORE IT WAS "MISTAKENLY EDITED":
Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister
Justin McCurry in Tokyo - guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 22 January 2013 08.42 GMT

Japan's new government is barely a month old, and already one of its most senior members has insulted tens of millions of voters by suggesting that the elderly are an unnecessary drain on the country's finances.

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

Aso's comments are likely to cause offence in Japan, where almost a quarter of the 128 million population is aged over 60. The proportion is forecast to rise to 40% over the next 50 years.

The remarks are also an unwelcome distraction for the new prime minister, Shinzo Abe, whose first period as Japan's leader ended with his resignation after just a year, in 2007, partly due to a string of gaffes by members of his cabinet.

Rising welfare costs, particularly for the elderly, were behind a decision last year to double consumption [sales] tax to 10% over the next three years, a move Aso's Liberal Democratic party supported.

The 72-year-old, who doubles as deputy prime minister, said he would refuse end-of-life care. "I don't need that kind of care," he said in comments quoted by local media, adding that he had written a note instructing his family to deny him life-prolonging medical treatment.

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.

Cost aside, caring for the elderly is a major challenge for Japan's stretched social services. According to a report this week, the number of households receiving welfare, which include family members aged 65 or over, stood at more than 678,000, or about 40% of the total. The country is also tackling a rise in the number of people who die alone, most of whom are elderly. In 2010, 4.6 million elderly people lived alone, and the number who died at home soared 61% between 2003 and 2010, from 1,364 to 2,194, according to the bureau of social welfare and public health in Tokyo.

The government is planning to reduce welfare expenditure in its next budget, due to go into force this April, with details of the cuts expected within days.

Aso, who has a propensity for verbal blunders, later attempted to clarify his comments. He acknowledged his language had been "inappropriate" in a public forum and insisted he was talking only about his personal preference.

"I said what I personally believe, not what the end-of-life medical care system should be," he told reporters. "It is important that you be able spend the final days of your life peacefully."

It is not the first time Aso, one of Japan's wealthiest politicians, has questioned the state's duty towards its large elderly population. In 2008, while serving as prime minister, he described "doddering" pensioners as tax burdens who should take better care of their health.

"I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor," he said at a meeting of economists. "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

He had already angered the country's doctors by telling them they lacked common sense, made a joke about Alzheimer's patients, and pronounced "penniless young men" unfit for marriage.

In 2001, he said he wanted Japan to become the kind of successful country in which "the richest Jews would want to live".

He once likened an opposition party to the Nazis, praised Japan's colonial rule in Taiwan and, as foreign minister, told US diplomats they would never be trusted in Middle East peace negotiations because they have "blue eyes and blond hair".

While figures released on Monday showed a record 2.14 million Japanese were receiving welfare in October 2012, Aso has led a life of privilege few of his compatriots could hope to match.

He is the grandson of Shigeru Yoshida, an influential postwar prime minister, and is married to the daughter of another former premier.

While campaigning for the premiership in 2008, Aso refused to acknowledge the use of hundreds of allied prisoners of war by his family's coal mining business during the second world war. He served as president of the firm's successor, Aso Cement, from 1973-79.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... e-japanese
Interesting... It might now be adequate for the Japanese government to supply this handy kit, free of charge, to all elderly people in Japan:

According to the Mod, this post of mine was mistakenly "edited", instead of "quoted". I have reconstituted it as well as I could, above. Any further "editing" of what I posted will hardly be by mistake...
Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

No need for the "quotes". There's no conspiracy. I've made that mistake before a few times when replying to various posts, accidentally hitting "Edit" instead of "Quote".

One of the downsides of having mod capabilities. My apologies for the unintended edit.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:Also, to second Hoosiernorm's question, has anyone else experienced this problem? And if so, using which browser and version?
The forum pages are, at times, very slow to respond . . using Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2)
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Also, to second Hoosiernorm's question, has anyone else experienced this problem? And if so, using which browser and version?
The forum pages are, at times, very slow to respond . . using Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2)
Thanks for confirming. I'll have to look into what can be done about this.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Thanks for confirming. I'll have to look into what can be done about this.
Same with FF 17.0.1 and IE. Though it may be at my end.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

No

not encountered any problem of that sort posting here

YMix

Post by YMix »

Marcus wrote:The forum pages are, at times, very slow to respond . . using Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2)
Same. Using Firefox 18.0.1
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Any improvement?

Ran "Resynchronise topics".

The board does seem to run much faster for me now.
noddy

Post by noddy »

it may have todo with routing or your hosting - from time to time this site does drop off the internet for periods.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:it may have todo with routing or your hosting - from time to time this site does drop off the internet for periods.
Same here.

We [a friend who assisted me in set up and I] picked Bluehost.com which is a large hosting company based in the US.

Loathe to consider moving the board to a new hosting service.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote:it may have todo with routing or your hosting - from time to time this site does drop off the internet for periods.
Same here.

We [a friend who assisted me in set up and I] picked Bluehost.com which is a large hosting company based in the US.

Loathe to consider moving the board to a new hosting service.
a few minutes downtime every now and then is not particularly distressing for me - occaisionally i lose a post to it going away during a reply but replicating one of my finely crafted essays takes but moments anyway heh.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies.

Any improvement?

Ran "Resynchronise topics".

The board does seem to run much faster for me now.
What ever that does it did take the glitch out of it. Using Firefox 18.1 and it might be the boards that I frequent. Levitas, Beautiful Women, and What Are You Listening To? are heavy on content so It might just be that. The boards with the larger visual content or hosted and inbedded content seem to have the hardest time loading. How many pages out can these boards go? I remember the old board being chopped after 50 pages due to difficulty hosting past that point.
Been busy doing stuff