Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

It's an insane world and I have no part in it. Perhaps that sums up PJM. No other blog I can think of seems as determined to alienate their established subscriber base as a large number of them, I suspect, use older powerPCs as I do.....

On THIS board, posting this brought up a 500 Server Glitch Error Message. Refreshing the page cleared it....XD........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The hosting service has a network problem that had the OTNOT site offline for the last several hours.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:The hosting service has a network problem that had the OTNOT site offline for the last several hours.
I noticed that. The forum is still having technical problems; it's slow to load each page. Does this have the same cause?
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:
Typhoon wrote:The hosting service has a network problem that had the OTNOT site offline for the last several hours.
I noticed that. The forum is still having technical problems; it's slow to load each page. Does this have the same cause?
Yes, it does.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

I also find the forum slow and it often freezes, but I assumed that this was due to hosting issues for what is, after all, a free service maintained by volunteers. I don't expect the response times of a Korean e-sports league.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Ibrahim wrote:I also find the forum slow and it often freezes, but I assumed that this was due to hosting issues for what is, after all, a free service maintained by volunteers. I don't expect the response times of a Korean e-sports league.
Ditto. Do you think ~ is has the technical capability to write a DoS script?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Are forum members still experiencing this slow response time problem?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Taboo wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:I also find the forum slow and it often freezes, but I assumed that this was due to hosting issues for what is, after all, a free service maintained by volunteers. I don't expect the response times of a Korean e-sports league.
Ditto. Do you think ~ is has the technical capability to write a DoS script?
It would be amusing to pin the following on ~

BBC | Global internet slows after 'biggest attack in history'
The internet around the world has been slowed down in what security experts are describing as the biggest cyber-attack of its kind in history.

A row between a spam-fighting group and hosting firm has sparked retaliation attacks affecting the wider internet.

It is having an impact on popular services like Netflix - and experts worry it could escalate to affect banking and email systems.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:Are forum members still experiencing this slow response time problem?
Sometimes, yes.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Are forum members still experiencing this slow response time problem?
Sometimes, yes.
Thank you.

At the moment I can't deconvolve between this being a site specific problem and the general internet problem linked above.

Once the latter is dealt with, then I'll look into it when I have a moment.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
YMix wrote:
Sometimes, yes.
Thank you.

At the moment I can't deconvolve between this being a site specific problem and the general internet problem linked above.

Te Spamhaus attackis apparently over, but I am seeing slower downloads than I was earlier today. It takes several minutes between clicks here if not getting timeouts.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
YMix wrote:
Sometimes, yes.
Thank you.

Te Spamhaus attackis apparently over, but I am seeing slower downloads than I was earlier today. It takes several minutes between clicks here if not getting timeouts.
Please first hit the "Delete all board cookies" text at the bottom of the page. This will log you out. Clear your browser cache and log back in.

Then let me know if the problem persists.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote: . . .

Off-topic: Why do I always have to log in two times? Has someone mis-configured the forum software?
The only reason that I could think of is that I was experimenting recently with https versus http.

Please first hit the "Delete all board cookies" text at the bottom of the page. This will log you out. Clear your browser cache and log back in.
[Why not select to be automatic login option to avoid having to log in each time?]

Then let me know if the problem persists.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The site response appears to be back up to speed. At least for me.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Typhoon: it isn't a recent problem but one that has been on-going. I typically do not remain logged into the site and only log in to make replies. When I do so, I am taken to another log-in page before being returned to the reply screen. I haven't seen that behavior before on other phpBB forums, including one I administer. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:Typhoon: it isn't a recent problem but one that has been on-going. I typically do not remain logged into the site and only log in to make replies. When I do so, I am taken to another log-in page before being returned to the reply screen. I haven't seen that behavior before on other phpBB forums, including one I administer. Is anyone else experiencing this?
As I can't reproduce this problem, it's difficult for me to try and do anything about it.

Sorry.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

A forum member pointed out to me that embedding pictures with the [img] tag and an url to its original source might infringe copyright. What to do?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:A forum member pointed out to me that embedding pictures with the [img] tag and an url to its original source might infringe copyright. What to do?
Hot-linking, embedding pictures with the [img].%20.%20.[/img] tag and an url to its original source, should be avoided.

Please use one of the free image uploading - hosting sites instead:

postimage.org

imageshack.us

tinypic.com

photobucket.com

etc.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:
Parodite wrote:A forum member pointed out to me that embedding pictures with the [img] tag and an url to its original source might infringe copyright. What to do?
Hot-linking, embedding pictures with the [img].%20.%20.[/img] tag and an url to its original source, should be avoided.

postimage.org

imageshack.us

tinypic.com

photobucket.com

etc.
Ok will do.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Hot Links and other Web Digestive problems.........

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:

postimage.org

imageshack.us

tinypic.com

photobucket.com

etc.
Thank You VERY Much for maintaining the Forum, Typhoon.

Is there a problem with hot linking to Wikipedia images? AIUI the images there are copyright free or small and fair use?

Likewise hot linking to videos on You Tube and similar?
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Doc

Re: Hot Links and other Web Digestive problems.........

Post by Doc »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

postimage.org

imageshack.us

tinypic.com

photobucket.com

etc.

Is there a problem with hot linking to Wikipedia images? AIUI the images there are copyright free or small and fair use?

I would assume Wiki pics and youtube are ok. Otherwise I would think they would not give links. On the other hand I did not think that posting pics /with the URL was a problem.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Re: Hot Links and other Web Digestive problems.........

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

postimage.org

imageshack.us

tinypic.com

photobucket.com

etc.

No problem with linking either.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Since I returned on this forum my account has a number of default functions disabled. Can they be enabled again?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:Since I returned on this forum my account has a number of default functions disabled. Can they be enabled again?
Answered by PM.
Yeremiya

Post by Yeremiya »

Greetings, Typhoon.

Many thanks.

I may be a slow typist: twice now, while compiling a post and doing a little research in the background, I've finished composing a reply — and found that after I click "submit" I'm required to log in again — and whatever it is I've just finished writing is wiped from the cache altogether. Rather than wrack my brains to remember what it is I just finished writing, I opt to slink back to matters related to work. I'm not sure if this is to preserve bandwidth and keep cost down — or if it's merely my glacial pace ill-fitted to the era of texts and tweets. If it's the former — quite understandable — I'll prep first in a text editor and copy and paste in one go. If it's just a default "log out after X min." setting that costs you not a penny more, please consider multiplying it by a bunch.

Regards,

Y