Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
admin
Site Admin

Re: Technical Problems

Post by admin »

Facebook "Like" has been added.

If someone with a Facebook page would please test it and let me know if it works or not.

[No need to disclose one's Facebook page]
Enki

Post by Enki »

I don't see a 'like' button.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

I see the button. I don't have a FB account, though.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Thanks for the responses. Going to work on this further to try to add it to each post.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yeah, I saw the FB like button now. I like how much interest you are putting into the building of this. Very cool. This forum is already more full-featured than Diegetics! The fresh energy is wonderful.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:Yeah, I saw the FB like button now. I like how much interest you are putting into the building of this. Very cool. This forum is already more full-featured than Diegetics! The fresh energy is wonderful.
Thanks. Pulled the FB button for the time being as according to a friend clicking it on a post selected it everywhere - everything post, thread, and forum was "liked".

Back to the drawing board . . .

____

If anyone can think of a feature that would improve this board, then please let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to add it.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Will focus instead on linking the [currently dormant] Wordpress front page with the phpbb forum board.
Typhoon

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Typhoon »

A Wordpress -> phpbb forum bridge plugin has been installed.

The last 10 forum posts from all forum topics, except This Forum, Hell, and Heaven, should appear on the main Wordpress page:

http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/

Now to figure out how to subdivide the Wordpress.

After that, will follow up on Mr. P's suggestion and see who may be interested in contributing a blog.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Online Status

Post by monster_gardener »

Esteemed Admin Col. Typhoon,

Restored a Firefox session including this forum after a computer shut down. The page that loaded, "The Ron Paul Affair", was updated with new posts.
I was listed as being online on my posts but not at the bottom of the page. There was no Quote button available for replies. The reply button at the bottom of the page was available but unfortunately I didn't try that.

I logged in normally just now but thought this was a mite interesting/odd/weird.

Your friend,
MG
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Re: Online Status

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote:Esteemed Admin Col. Typhoon,

Restored a Firefox session including this forum after a computer shut down. The page that loaded, "The Ron Paul Affair", was updated with new posts.
I was listed as being online on my posts but not at the bottom of the page. There was no Quote button available for replies. The reply button at the bottom of the page was available but unfortunately I didn't try that.

I logged in normally just now but thought this was a mite interesting/odd/weird.

Your friend,
MG
Thanks for informing me.

However, I have to say that I have not idea what may have caused that odd behaviour.
monster_gardener

Typhoon wrote:

Your friend,
MG
Thanks for informing me.

However, I have to say that I have not idea what may have caused that odd behaviour.
Thank you Very Much for your reply, Typhoon.

It has happened since last time but I remembered to try the Reply button........ and was sent to the log in page.

NOT a problem. Just FYI.

Your Friend,
MG
monster_gardener

Esteemed Typhoon,

Is the poll function active?

Was trying to post a Paul poll :wink: but couldn't find it :(
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Your friend,
MG
Thanks for informing me.

Thank you Very Much for your reply, Typhoon.

It has happened since last time but I remembered to try the Reply button........ and was sent to the log in page.

NOT a problem. Just FYI.

Your Friend,
MG
Hmm. A corrupt cookie, or broken cookie handling in your browser, perhaps?

I think you said you used Firefox to access the forum. Have you got any plugins installed in FF that monkey with cookies, such as Cookie Monster or the like?
Have you tried completely deleting your browser history and cookies?
Do you get the same problem using a different browser?
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

in DG fora, clicking on a link, the link was opened in a new tab .. not here

would be more convenient having it the DG way

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote:Esteemed Typhoon,

It should be.

When you create a new topic, you should see three clickable tabs at the bottom of the page: Options | Upload attachment | Poll creation
monster_gardener

Typhoon wrote:

It should be.

When you create a new topic, you should see three clickable tabs at the bottom of the page: Options | Upload attachment | Poll creation
Thank you very much, Typhoon.

Will try again and report back.
monster_gardener

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

It should be.

Thank you very much, Typhoon.

Will try again and report back.
Polling works now.

Near certain that it was my error.

Thank you for your help.

Your Friend,
MG
Azrael

Hot linking problem advisory

Post by Azrael »

I'm starting this thread so people have somewhere to post (with a link to the relevant message and thread) if they see a problem with hot-linking or any other related problems.
cultivate a white rose
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Hot linking problem advisory

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

A few sites that want to discourage hot linking will let you know about it by replacing the linked image with a scolding or humourous one telling you you're a vile thing for taking something copywritten from their site. Watch for copywrite disclaimers and...... there is always uploading a screen capture.......'>..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I think that hot linking issues falls under the existing "Technical Issues and Problems" thread.

In general it is not good practice to hot link as other sites don't appreciate it and it would be best if poster refrained from doing so.

Better to use one of the free image hosting services:

http://postimage.org/

http://tinypic.com/

http://imageshack.us/

etc.

and link to the image stored there.

Please note this thread will be merged with the Technical Issues and Problems" thread.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:A few sites that want to discourage hot linking will let you know about it by replacing the linked image with a scolding or humourous one telling you you're a vile thing for taking something copywritten from their site. Watch for copywrite disclaimers and...... there is always uploading a screen capture.......'>..........
I was hoping for somewhere on the forum where people could be warned if they hot-linked and the owner of the linked-to site got upset or just wanted to do a dirty trick and replaced the original image with something offensive.

I admit that sometimes I hotlink. Probably not a good idea, but if I'm in a hurry I can cut corners.
cultivate a white rose
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Azrael wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:A few sites that want to discourage hot linking will let you know about it by replacing the linked image with a scolding or humourous one telling you you're a vile thing for taking something copywritten from their site. Watch for copywrite disclaimers and...... there is always uploading a screen capture.......'>..........
I was hoping for somewhere on the forum where people could be warned if they hot-linked and the owner of the linked-to site got upset or just wanted to do a dirty trick and replaced the original image with something offensive.

I admit that sometimes I hotlink. Probably not a good idea, but if I'm in a hurry I can cut corners.
Okay so I'm a sinner of hotlinking too. The advice here is to download that same picture and upload it again via mentioned upload service? Itself that doesn't come off as a way to really pass around copyright issues, it is still their picture... But if it avoids being prosecuted.. I'll do that too from now on.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Azrael wrote:

Okay so I'm a sinner of hotlinking too. The advice here is to download that same picture and upload it again via mentioned upload service? Itself that doesn't come off as a way to really pass around copyright issues, it is still their picture... But if it avoids being prosecuted.. I'll do that too from now on.
You have the option of downloading the image and reuploading using one of the serivices.

However, all services accept url's of the original image. I find this approach to be much faster and convenient.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Azrael wrote:

You have the option of downloading the image and reuploading using one of the serivices.

However, all services accept url's of the original image. I find this approach to be much faster and convenient.
You mean it like this? For example:

1) Went to http://www.connect06.com/tag/ww2-monopoly-games/
2) Uploaded Monopoly image URL to ImageShack
3) copy-paste from there to here:
4) http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6872/monopolynb.jpg
5) tag it with Image :

Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Azrael wrote:

You mean it like this? For example:

1) Went to http://www.connect06.com/tag/ww2-monopoly-games/
2) Uploaded Monopoly image URL to ImageShack
3) copy-paste from there to here:
4) http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6872/monopolynb.jpg
5) tag it with Image :

Yes, for example.