Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Parodite

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Parodite »

It is not possible to maximize an embedded youtube movie to full screen.. can this easily be changed? Just a little nice to have.. Workaround is to open the movie in the youtube site itself via the available [Youtube] button.
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

better yet, something that turns the video into a point form text summary :P
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Parodite wrote:It is not possible to maximize an embedded youtube movie to full screen.. can this easily be changed? Just a little nice to have.. Workaround is to open the movie in the youtube site itself via the available [Youtube] button.
Found this topic also discussed here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2182825

A solution there mentioned seems to work:
Hello, Pangaea.
I did't make any search on forum when I met your question. I don't know whether you solve your problem or not but I will share my BBcodes. There is no need to install any modbox or there is no need to write short YouTube links. Yo can add entire YouTube links. The only reason of being not Fullscreen is : <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> .. ve ... allowfullscreen="true". These words make your screen full.
I just shared a video on my site as an example. When you visit you will see that it will be fullscreen.
BBCODe

BBCode:

Code: Select all

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v={TEXT}[/YouTube]
HTML:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}"></param>
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Helping:

YouTube : [YouTube]YouTube video URL[/Youtube]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:Log on period seems to be too short I was writing a long reply. On the time it took me to finish it, In maybe 30 minutes, I was logged off. Since someone else posted to the same thread in that time I lost my entire post. IE Hitting back took me to the new post.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

As far as I'm aware there is no time limit on being logged in.

Also there is not time limit on editing a post:
Limit editing time:
Limits the time available to edit a new post. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour. [0]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:Log on period seems to be too short I was writing a long reply. On the time it took me to finish it, In maybe 30 minutes, I was logged off. Since someone else posted to the same thread in that time I lost my entire post. IE Hitting back took me to the new post.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

As far as I'm aware there is not time limit on being logged in.

Also there is not time limit on editing a post:
Limit editing time:
Limits the time available to edit a new post. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour. [0]
It weird because it didn't used to do that. On spengler it is the opposite. I generally just close teh lid of my laptop and can come back many hours later Open it up and I am still signed on there Here it seems like a 30 minute thing. But it may be something to do with automatic log in Which I probably have not been clicking ever time here. But it used to be the same here as there.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Last Poster in Muslim World Section not updating

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank You VERY MUCH for Maintaining the Forum, Admins Typhoon & YMix,

Noticed that the Last Poster listing on Muslim World Thread of the Current Events Section is not updating.

Currently Typhoon is listed as the last poster in the Muslim World Thread of the Current Events Section but when the Muslim World Thread section is entered currently Parodite is the last poster of the sub-thread at the top of the page.

I have refreshed both pages to make sure that page caching is not the problem.

Not that important but puzzling.

Going to make a post there now.

Just did the test post: Seems to be working now: I am now listed as the last poster....

Puzzling..... Wondering if problem is on my end despite the refreshing of the page.

If anyone has an idea please post or PM me....

Thanks in advance...
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If anyone recently experienced trouble accessing this OTNOT site within the last 12 hours,
it was due to trouble at the hosting service provider.

Apologies.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Problems with attachments.

I have noticed a couple of times lately that with I upload an pic attachment that another is loaded with it. I am not sure how they are showing up for other people here but the attachment with this post viewtopic.php?p=112017#p112017
Showed a second pic that is on my PC as well.

Anyone else seeing things like this?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote:Problems with attachments.

I have noticed a couple of times lately that with I upload an pic attachment that another is loaded with it. I am not sure how they are showing up for other people here but the attachment with this post viewtopic.php?p=112017#p112017

I didn't see your wife attached. ;) Just a dummy.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Can't say that I have.

The forum software is long overdue for an upgrade. May do it after Christmas or during the New Year holiday.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

Can't say that I have.

The forum software is long overdue for an upgrade. May do it after Christmas or during the New Year holiday.
Sounds reasonable. Any chance the new version will have answered post notifications?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Can't say that I have.

Sounds reasonable. Any chance the new version will have answered post notifications?
Don't know. Will have to see what new options are available after installation. Will check.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the random logouts losing posts thing seems to be getting worse.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the random logouts losing posts thing seems to be getting worse.
yes indeed. they occur so often in SimpleMindedStan, that it is now a habit to copy my posts, before hitting the submit button, so I can log in again and paste my previous flashes of brilliant insight (cause they don't seem to last long). Might be Age related Cerebral Degeneration.

I kinda thought that maybe it was a sign from the computer gods to either update my 286 to a 386 or burn some more roadkill on the barbie, but since others are having the same problem, I think I'll keep "Ole Trusty Rusty" around for a couple more years.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The phpBB forum software had become outdated and had stopped working several days ago.

Did not have time to update until the weekend.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

phpBB 3.0.11 updated to phpBB 3.2.7 [most current version release].
noddy

Post by noddy »

hah, thanks and congrats for getting the php voodoo right to bring it back to life.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

I tried to access the forum this morning, but it was showing some weird PHP messages. :)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thanks for the update, seems to be working.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Yay! My friends are back!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 am hah, thanks and congrats for getting the php voodoo right to bring it back to life.
Thank you.

The voodoo that php do.

The upgrade to phpBB 3.2.7 was time consuming, but the installation tools are more robust than before.

Still some issues to resolve, but the forum appears to be functioning.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am I tried to access the forum this morning, but it was showing some weird PHP messages. :)
Suggest clearing your browser cache, including OTNOT cookies, and logging back in.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Please report any issues encountered with the new software version running the OTNOT forum.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:20 pmSuggest clearing your browser cache, including OTNOT cookies, and logging back in.
No need to, everything is fine now. I think I dropped by just as the update was taking place.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 am hah, thanks and congrats for getting the php voodoo right to bring it back to life.
I know nada about php, but was able to intuit my way through several problems I encountered due to general software experience.

While waiting for the new phpBB software to upload via ftp it occurred to me that social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. have brought forums to the masses. For example, setting up a FB Group page is trivial compared to installing and maintaining a phpBB forum.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yah reddit, facebook and all that are the brainfree options, with the proviso that the conversations stay within their rules, of course.

I havent dealt with php for ages, it was always just notorious for being a crude templating environment that pretended to be a programming language - which is fine for a forum as they are mostly just templates over a database anyway.
ultracrepidarian