Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Now, what news on the Rialto?

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Typhoon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 pm

FT | Earnings shenanigans underpin Wall Street record

Return on invested capital [ROIC] paints much less flattering picture of company valuations [than reported earnings].
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14963
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Typhoon wrote:FT | Earnings shenanigans underpin Wall Street record

Return on invested capital [ROIC] paints much less flattering picture of company valuations [than reported earnings].

.



Thanx , excellent article .. companies using more (cheap) capital, but making lower returns .. if %-rates go up, things will not add up anymore .. "economic earning" key , and it is falling

.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Typhoon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 pm

FT | How we all became addicted to cheap debt

‘The pesky matter of debt has not disappeared: the level of global debt to gross domestic product is now 40 per cent higher than it was in 2008’
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14963
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Typhoon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Bloomberg | America's 'Retail Apocalyse' is just beginning.

The reason isn’t as simple as Amazon.com Inc. taking market share or twenty-somethings spending more on experiences than things. The root cause is that many of these long-standing chains are overloaded with debt—often from leveraged buyouts led by private equity firms. There are billions in borrowings on the balance sheets of troubled retailers, and sustaining that load is only going to become harder—even for healthy chains.

The debt coming due, along with America’s over-stored suburbs and the continued gains of online shopping, has all the makings of a disaster. The spillover will likely flow far and wide across the U.S. economy.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14963
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Zack Morris » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 am

Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | America's 'Retail Apocalyse' is just beginning.

The reason isn’t as simple as Amazon.com Inc. taking market share or twenty-somethings spending more on experiences than things. The root cause is that many of these long-standing chains are overloaded with debt—often from leveraged buyouts led by private equity firms. There are billions in borrowings on the balance sheets of troubled retailers, and sustaining that load is only going to become harder—even for healthy chains.

The debt coming due, along with America’s over-stored suburbs and the continued gains of online shopping, has all the makings of a disaster. The spillover will likely flow far and wide across the U.S. economy.


With the GOP tax plan, said private equity financiers will make out like never before! The Obama administration made a tentative start in the right direction on this issue: education and re-training. Things have taken a step back under the Trump administration. But hey, it's what the morons who voted for him want, so can't feel bad about them reaping the coming whirlwind.

Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.
User avatar
Zack Morris
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Bayside High School

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm

.


Trump’s Unsuccessful Asia Trip


Like his first trip abroad, Trump’s Asia trip was unsuccessful and marred by some significant mistakes. The president returns home this week with nothing to show for his effort.


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


Trump’s Unsuccessful Asia Trip


Like his first trip abroad, Trump’s Asia trip was unsuccessful and marred by some significant mistakes. The president returns home this week with nothing to show for his effort.


.

Xi refused to even let Obama deplane with dignity. O and party were deliberately insulted and shuffled out the back door of AF1 like cargo.

Xi gave Trump a banquet, a public address and personal tour of the Forbidden City. SK publicly called Trump the leader of the free world.

I would call that the biggest success in at least nine years.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
User avatar
Nonc Hilaire
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:35 am

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


Trump’s Unsuccessful Asia Trip


Like his first trip abroad, Trump’s Asia trip was unsuccessful and marred by some significant mistakes. The president returns home this week with nothing to show for his effort.


.



Xi refused to even let Obama deplane with dignity. O and party were deliberately insulted and shuffled out the back door of AF1 like cargo.

Xi gave Trump a banquet, a public address and personal tour of the Forbidden City. SK publicly called Trump the leader of the free world.

I would call that the biggest success in at least nine years.

.




This belongs to "Levitas" thread, as a funny joke .. would be sad even for "Political Levitas"

So, NH, Obama was let in from the kitchen door, but Trump coming in from side door make Trump Asia tour a success ! ! ! !

Oh, Lord, what happened to our beloved "America First" ?

What an honour, Xi publicly called Trump the leader of the free world :roll:


The body language says it all .. Look @ Xi face
"Indo-Pacific" replacing "Asia-Pacific"
:lol:





trumpxi.jpg
trumpxi.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 20 times


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 pm

.

Myths of the 1 Percent
Dispelling misconceptions about what’s driving income inequality in the U.S.



Almost all of the growth in top American earners has come from just three economic sectors: professional services, finance and insurance, and health care, groups that tend to benefit from regulatory barriers that shelter them from competition.

The groups that have contributed the most people to the 1 percent since 1980 are : physicians; executives, managers, sales supervisors, and analysts working in the financial sectors; and professional and legal service industry executives, managers, lawyers, consultants and sales representatives.

Without changes in these largely domestic services industries — finance, health care, the law — the United States would look like Canada or Germany in terms of its top income shares.




Excellent article , and true

.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Previous

Return to Finance and Economics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest