Commodities | Oil, gold, and silver . . .

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

Re: Gold and silver . . .

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Markets go up and down, but tangible assets always retain some value.

People do not buy gold and silver coinage as an investment. They buy it to pass wealth onto their progeny in a way that is out of the current, corrupt system.
I'd rather inherit a viable wealth generating company than a bar of gold.
The problem is equities are in a bubble. Overvalued due to QE and HFT manipulation at low volume and unrelated to earnings.
While I agree that one effect of QE has been the rebound in the stock markets, it's not clear to me that HFT has contributed.

HFT enter and exit trades in microseconds. For HFT to influence longer time scale price levels, HFT would have to be net buyers. I have not seen any evidence that that is the case.

I read recently that the golden age of HFT is over. Too many people are trying to do it, so the opportunities for microsecond arbitrage have decreased.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:PM's are at strong support levels. Now is the time to add PM's to your portfolio, and move your equities into direct registration so they are not Corazined or bailed-in.
There are some phrases that I've never understood: "support levels" and "strong/weak hands".

I've seen financial instruments cut through claimed "support levels" like a hot knife through butter on numerous occasions.

I don't know how low PMs [precious metals] can go, but I would not be surprised if their prices dropped further.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Support levels are where buyers with long term acquisition strategies have tended to buy.

Strong hands are not margined. Weak hands are leveraged.

Nothing is guaranteed. Just make sure you take secure possession of whatever you buy, and don't leave it in a brokerage or bank where they will assign first ownership rights to someone else and leave you an unsecured creditor.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Faber an expert in Gold

Gold

noddy

Post by noddy »

im not so sure about the conspiracy theory in regards the paper/physical splits and the trick of hammering the paper price so as to make the physical cheaper for the new world order of gold backed money - it does sound a bit far fetched.

the other theory which im more prone to believing is the one that modern economists are clueless and symbol based and losing track of whats horse and whats cart and the stupid things they say and do to encourage "optimistic animal spirits" are starting to show.

in this theory the historical symbol of gold going up during times of pessimism at the system is being used by the central banks as another arrow in their pushing on a string armoury - they are deliberately pushing gold prices down with paper sales to create the newspaper reports of "all good, confidence is back".

the second aspect to this is that gold is not an investment for increasing value as much as its a protection against value destruction so if the central banks play funny buggers with the gold price and destroy its stability then all that money will be scared back into the stock market.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The manipulation of gold prices has been both proven and admitted.

JP Morgan has over 80 tons on demand for delivery in June that they do not have. Force majure will cause them to settle in cash, as that much gold does not exist in the market anymore. Driving the value down is logical.

Right now, silver and gold are selling below the cost of production. Sounds like it is close to a bottom for physical.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:The manipulation of gold prices has been both proven and admitted.

JP Morgan has over 80 tons on demand for delivery in June that they do not have. Force majure will cause them to settle in cash, as that much gold does not exist in the market anymore. Driving the value down is logical.
I'm skeptical that JPM can, on its own, move the gold price so dramatically.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Right now, silver and gold are selling below the cost of production. Sounds like it is close to a bottom for physical.
Or massive mine closings.

The cost of gold production is ~ US$1,200 per ounce? Really?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
The numbers are public data. Do you have a theory that would counter that? The data is easily avilable. If the common analysis is faulty, simple skepticism is inadequte.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Right now, silver and gold are selling below the cost of production. Sounds like it is close to a bottom for physical.
Typhoon wrote:Or massive mine closings.

The cost of gold production is ~ US$1,200 per ounce? Really?
I'm not an expert on mining. I do know what is referred to as deep storage is estimated, unmined reserves.

The real question is when LBMA/Comex default on gold what will happen with silver? Same banks. If I had silver in storage I would be getting it out yesterday.

Teresa of Ávila
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Gold mining is a helluva big issue up here right now what with the proposed Pebble Project.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
noddy

Post by noddy »

mining is all my country does and the sole source of my income no matter what job i have done over the last few decades.

right now my prognosis is that its looking morbid to bleak and its best not to think about it !
ultracrepidarian
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

noddy wrote:mining is all my country does and the sole source of my income no matter what job i have done over the last few decades.

right now my prognosis is that its looking morbid to bleak and its best not to think about it !

Come to Alaska . . some believe the next great mining boom up here is for Rare Earth. Same for northern Canada.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
The numbers are public data. Do you have a theory that would counter that? The data is easily available. If the common analysis is faulty, simple skepticism is inadequate.
Well, why not make the case for it here.

Several charts plus a succinct exposition should suffice.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
The numbers are public data. Do you have a theory that would counter that? The data is easily available. If the common analysis is faulty, simple skepticism is inadequate.

I did. The numbers are collected and published daily by http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/. I don't need to spoon-feed you with charts, nor do you need them to see JPM has sold contracts on far more gold than they control.

Maguire has explained the mechanism publiclly http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/m ... b1uJeVHb0O

The mechanism is simple - they sell what they do not have, and drive down the contract price.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I did. The numbers are collected and published daily by http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/. I don't need to spoon-feed you with charts, nor do you need them to see JPM has sold contracts on far more gold than they control.
That site is a pain to read to say the least.

My guess is that the author

1/ is not including all types of gold contracts in his count; and/or

2/ does not understand derivative - futures contracts.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Maguire has explained the mechanism publicly http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/m ... b1uJeVHb0O

The mechanism is simple - they sell what they do not have, and drive down the contract price.
The banks, which do the Federal Reserve's bidding in the metals markets, have long been the government's lead actors in keeping down the prices of gold and silver, according to a former Goldman Sachs trader working at the London Bullion Market Association.
In that case, JPM and HSBC have done a spectacularly poor job over the last decade plus.

The US Fed should find itself new, more competent, co-conspirators.

Looks like after a massive decade-plus run-up early investors are selling for a handsome profit.

Markets go up and markets go down. Gold is just another tradeable asset class. No reason that the gold market should be exempt.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bloomberg | Gold Posts Longest Slump in 11 Weeks on Stimulus Outlook
Gold futures tumbled, capping the longest slump in 11 weeks, on speculation that the Federal Reserve will scale back U.S. bond purchases.
The price of gold seems to be strongly correlated with the amount of QE.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

From another forum, always find this poster's missives interesting:
chindit13 wrote:

People question everything except the tenets of their own religion. What for someone else might be considered opinions or assumptions, are viewed as fact by believers, and their “logic” is then based on these assumptions. These assumptions, however, are faith and not facts. There is no Newton’s Fifth Law of Motion that says the price of gold always goes up. Also, relying on “history” is of questionable value unless Craig Venter is hiding something he found in the Human Genome (e.g., the Gold Gene). Turboprinting and turbo credit creation (since 2011) have not resulted in “to da moon” for PMs. Rather than rationalize losses, one might be better served looking for a reason.

I happen to be an agnostic with respect to gold. What I see is that “money” is and has always been merely faith. Money---whether it is gold or fiat---is a con game, or a collective agreement to pretend. It is like religion, which is to say (again) it is merely faith. It is whatever two people decide is an acceptable means of exchange in a transaction, and in fact only the seller of a good or service, and not necessarily the buyer of said good or service, needs to believe in it. (It is unlikely Peter Minuit could have bought a studio apartment in Amsterdam for his pile of beads, but in America he got the whole of Manhattan.) The mere fact that something is dug out of the ground doesn’t automatically make it valuable, nor universally valuable. Digging does not represent potential energy the way carrying a cannon ball to the top of a tower represents potential energy, even though one could use the term “work” to describe the action put on both.

As an agnostic, all I try to do is check the direction of the wind. Which way is faith blowing? Another way to look at it is to do a poll, just like an election. Money is the ultimate democracy, because “money” is whatever the majority decides it is. Raising the specter of Craig Venter again, I will remind that dead people don’t vote except in Chicago.

As I have written ad nauseum (which should be allowed, since the gold believers state their own views ad nauseum), the majority still believes in the various 180 forms of fiat currently in circulation amongst our species. Even the staunchest believer in gold is not going to ignore a $100 bill or euro 500 note lying on the ground, whereas most all would ignore yesterday’s newspaper ad insert if they saw it on the ground. Thus, fiat is not quite the worthless paper some are wont to proclaim.

All that might change. As an agnostic I can admit that, and hedge accordingly. That being said, the key, as always, is timing. The believers in gold think the time is now. Maybe they are correct. Maybe Harold Camping is, or will be, correct one day about his belief, too. I suppose gold holders can expect, at least, that they can always unload to some Indians or Chinese, but what will the gold seller get in return? Melamine milk? A decorative statue of Ganesh? A plot of land on the River of Floating Pigs or Floating Kumbh Mela Devotees? Money is only good if someone who has something one needs will accept it.

Ya pays ya “money” and takes ya chances. I can admit that without stating an absolute. Around here, by the way, I feel strangely like a Danish cartoonist.
One of the few sane posters on that forum . . .
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Gold Posts Longest Slump in 11 Weeks on Stimulus Outlook
Gold futures tumbled, capping the longest slump in 11 weeks, on speculation that the Federal Reserve will scale back U.S. bond purchases.
Why?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Gold Posts Longest Slump in 11 Weeks on Stimulus Outlook
Why?
I guess the theory is that gold is held as a hedge against inflation, or as a hedge against volatility in the inflation rate. Since it looks like we're in for a long period of low inflation, the price of gold has been, more or less, drifting back down towards the marginal cost of production.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quoting a heretical ZH poster who posts I usually find interesting:
chindit13:

People question everything except the tenets of their own religion. What for someone else might be considered opinions or assumptions, are viewed as fact by believers, and their “logic” is then based on these assumptions. These assumptions, however, are faith and not facts. There is no Newton’s Fifth Law of Motion that says the price of gold always goes up. Also, relying on “history” is of questionable value unless Craig Venter is hiding something he found in the Human Genome (e.g., the Gold Gene). Turboprinting and turbo credit creation (since 2011) have not resulted in “to da moon” for PMs. Rather than rationalize losses, one might be better served looking for a reason.

I happen to be an agnostic with respect to gold. What I see is that “money” is and has always been merely faith. Money---whether it is gold or fiat---is a con game, or a collective agreement to pretend. It is like religion, which is to say (again) it is merely faith. It is whatever two people decide is an acceptable means of exchange in a transaction, and in fact only the seller of a good or service, and not necessarily the buyer of said good or service, needs to believe in it. (It is unlikely Peter Minuit could have bought a studio apartment in Amsterdam for his pile of beads, but in America he got the whole of Manhattan.) The mere fact that something is dug out of the ground doesn’t automatically make it valuable, nor universally valuable. Digging does not represent potential energy the way carrying a cannon ball to the top of a tower represents potential energy, even though one could use the term “work” to describe the action put on both.

As an agnostic, all I try to do is check the direction of the wind. Which way is faith blowing? Another way to look at it is to do a poll, just like an election. Money is the ultimate democracy, because “money” is whatever the majority decides it is. Raising the specter of Craig Venter again, I will remind that dead people don’t vote except in Chicago.

As I have written ad nauseum (which should be allowed, since the gold believers state their own views ad nauseum), the majority still believes in the various 180 forms of fiat currently in circulation amongst our species. Even the staunchest believer in gold is not going to ignore a $100 bill or euro 500 note lying on the ground, whereas most all would ignore yesterday’s newspaper ad insert if they saw it on the ground. Thus, fiat is not quite the worthless paper some are wont to proclaim.

All that might change. As an agnostic I can admit that, and hedge accordingly. That being said, the key, as always, is timing. The believers in gold think the time is now. Maybe they are correct. Maybe Harold Camping is, or will be, correct one day about his belief, too. I suppose gold holders can expect, at least, that they can always unload to some Indians or Chinese, but what will the gold seller get in return? Melamine milk? A decorative statue of Ganesh? A plot of land on the River of Floating Pigs or Floating Kumbh Mela Devotees? Money is only good if someone who has something one needs will accept it.

Ya pays ya “money” and takes ya chances. I can admit that without stating an absolute. Around here, by the way, I feel strangely like a Danish cartoonist.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

More on the topic from ZH's resident agnostic.
chindit13 wrote:

Perhaps Tyler will run a remedial class for those who are eternally confused between spot markets and futures markets, since your post, plus those who upvote you, indicates confusion.

"Naked shorting" applies only to spot markets such as equities. If I wish to short, for example, AAPL, I need to locate actual APPL stock from somewhere---usually a Prime Broker---so that there is no failure to deliver. I pay a borrowing cost for that APPL stock. Borrowing costs vary among equities, depending on how much there is available to borrow. In a heavily shorted stock, the vig can be excessive, whereas on equities with a low short ratio and a large float, the costs are minimal. If the registered owner of the stock is a large fund, it will share in the vig with the Prime Broker. That juices the yield for the long term holder, which might be a pension fund, mutual fund, insurance company, corporate treasury, etc.

Futures markets are a totally different beast. There is no need to borrow anything. One side of a trade merely creates, in essence, a bet with the other side of the trade regarding the future price movement of the underlying commodity. The exchange exists as both a marketplace and as a sort of referee between the two parties in the bet. In theory, one who holds a position to expiration assumes the responsibility to either pay the seller in full for the underlying commodity (the long pays) or else deliver the underlying good (the short delivers) to the buyer. Many futures markets have a cash settlement feature. The vast majority of contracts are liquidated well before expiration, and generally before the first notice of delivery.

The whole point of a futures market is to create a venue where speculators can unintentionally serve the purpose of providing liquidity. For example, General Mills is a natural buyer of wheat for its breakfast cereal. Archer Daniels Midland (or even a medium sized wheat farmer) is a natural seller. Those two opposing entities may come to an understanding of their production (farm side) or demand (cereal side), plus each side's respective cost structure, at widely different times in the growing cycle of the wheat. Without the specs providing liquidity, General Mills might show up understanding their own production side when the farmer as yet has no idea of the yield or even his costs. Without the specs, some side would be making an uninformed trade. As the specs liquidate into delivery and expiration schedule, contracts cancel each other out, and GMills ends up on the other side of the remaining contract with ADM.

Futures markets have existed for thousands of years. Nobody ever had a problem with them until the PM crowd decided the whole world was out to get them.

The best trick for "manipulating" markets, though it only works on a short term basis, is to either move arounds stores, or else change its classification (such as from "eligible" to "registered", or vice versa). These tricks can fool the uninformed, who apparently don't know who they are. Price suppression also could only work short term, because sellers would simply ignore spot and not sell. None of that has happened from $1921 all the way down to $1200, nor $48.50 all the way down to $20. If anything, UPSIDE manipulation is much easier, because once prices get rocking, people climb out of the woodwork hoping to catch the rocket ship to the moon.

The same lack of understanding of the nature of futures markets and the brokers who deal in them was behind the fantasy of "Crash JPMorgue" (I believe a former ZH member has relinquished all copyright claims to that, and doesn't mind letting Gilbert Gottfried, or rather Max Keiser, take credit for it). JPM hedges both miners and large scale physical holders. Those would tend to be short futures positions. JPM might also have jewelers and other end users on the long side of the market. While CTRs might give some insight into the positions (com'l vs. spec), these are not always accurate. PM Promoters have used this confusion to do a lot of business.

While I'm here, I'll add a point that is only peripherally related, but which also causes confusion and leads to foolish conspiracy-type views. Regarding silver, most large holders of silver hold it in the form of 5000 oz good delivery bars. I've had the pleasure of visiting a private vault where a massive holder has a literal underground warehouse, with stacks of pallets of 5000 oz ingots. There is a fork lift inside the vault for moving pallets. A lot of them have been moved in the last few years, especially when Ag was in the $40s. For the retail crowd to be able to get the coins they desire, the fork lift has to be gassed up, pallets moved out of the vault, shipped (maybe to another continent or country) to a smelter/stamper/whatever where the giant ingots are melted down, then cast into one ounce coins. All of that involves costs, which are included in the coin price. Add to that the rent on the local coin shop plus the dealers' staff salaries and such, and there's your spread over spot. Just as a diner cannot expect to pay Pork Belly Settlement Price for his side of bacon at IHOP, a retail coin buyer should not expect to pay spot for his Ag coin. That process---taking a pallet of 5000 oz ingots to the mint---also takes time. When retail gets excited about Ag and scoffs up the existing inventory of one ounce coins, a coin shortage develops. Buyers should not assume that means there is an Ag shortage, but rather that there is just a shortage of retail-level Ag products. Of course Promoters are not averse to taking advantage of that misunderstanding.

Gold tends to be held in smaller sizes (100 oz to 400 oz bars). Most of the costs associated with turning these bars into one ounce coins are less, so the spread at the retail level between spot and coin offer price is less than for silver. Even a mid sized Au buyer can pay about spot plus $5 if he buys, say, 400 oz Au bars on line. Go to a large Middle Eastern dealer and he can pay even less of a spread.

PMs may well re-ignite their bull market (Mohammed Aboud al Amoudi, Abdul-Aziz al-Suleiman, the al-Rajhis, etc. could try to force COMEX delivery and make up for April 1980 and what Henry Jarecki did to them), but the same sort of incredulousness people bring to MSM or Govt pronouncements should be brought to the musings of the Promoters. Otherwise, they're just somebody else's Sheeple.

. . .

Libor is a completely different animal, has fewer players involved (so it's easier to manipulate), and is infinitely more important to bank balance sheets and derivative positions than gold, which---as much as folks around here believe otherwise---is not of particular importance to many in positions of authority.

Relative to bank assets, planetary GDP, etc., gold is barely a rounding era. The likelihood of it ever being a backing for a currency again is pretty close to zero. As an asset, I suspect it will have its day again, as all assets do, and folks who champion themselves as "stackers" might one day want to consider moving to China or India where they are more likely to get the value and respect they think they deserve for owning it. As for the West, which as we are told ad nauseum is letting gold slip to the East, it is unlikely that it will care a bit if China and India suddenly announce they own all of it. India has pretty much always owned more than any other country, yet it hasn't done a heck of a lot for them. I'm there a lot, and I've yet to see the cutting edge of human civilization about which we should all be envious. I thus conclude folks can get by just fine with intellect and ambition, rather than a shiny metal.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

There is Basel III, and it's requirement that international loans be secured by hard assets. No more use of projected future revenues, and gold is specifically classed as a valid asset. This inclusion gives it a solid value; it is internationally accepted collateral.

Gold, unlike real estate, is portable. I think countries with little gold will find international trade difficult.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:There is Basel III, and it's requirement that international loans be secured by hard assets. No more use of projected future revenues, and gold is specifically classed as a valid asset. This inclusion gives it a solid value; it is internationally accepted collateral.

Gold, unlike real estate, is portable. I think countries with little gold will find international trade difficult.
POTUS Nixon "closed the gold window" in 1971.

For gold to be anything other than a minor commodity, our floating currencies would have to once again fixed, as per Bretton-Woods.

I think that the odds of this happening is effectively zero, given that the forex market is one of the largest, if not the largest, on the planet.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:There is Basel III, and it's requirement that international loans be secured by hard assets. No more use of projected future revenues, and gold is specifically classed as a valid asset. This inclusion gives it a solid value; it is internationally accepted collateral.

For gold to be anything other than a minor commodity, our floating currencies would have to once again fixed, as per Bretton-Woods.

I think that the odds of this happening is effectively zero, given that the forex market is one of the largest, if not the largest, on the planet.
This is the new BIS international banking system regs, not the U.S. currency basis. See http://www.bis.org/bcbs/basel3.htm

Teresa of Ávila
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:For gold to be anything other than a minor commodity, our floating currencies would have to once again fixed, as per Bretton-Woods.

That is not the only scenario which would give gold again a central role in currency valuation and value storage.

Another scenario is collapse in value of one or more of the major currencies, be it US dollar, euro, yen or another, resulting from extreme increase in central bank balance sheets and indefinite zero interest policies. While probability of that scenario is not known - we are in completely unchartered waters -, it's certainly not zero.

Speaking of which, physical gold deliveries by the Shanghai Gold Exchange during the 6 first months of 2013 almost equaled the total of year 2012. Which is to say that rythm of gold delivery to Chinese buyers has practically doubled since gold price began to seriously fall beginning 2013.

- In China, gold price decrease is seen as an opportunity to buy more, since its price is so low.
:arrow: Gold is seen as having intrinsically a high value.

- In US, Europe and Japan, gold price decrease is seen as indication that "gold is over"
:arrow: Gold is seen as speculative instrument.

One thing is sure: one and only one of these opinions is deeply flawed and wrong.

I think the Chinese are right on that.

Time will tell.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

This is the new BIS international banking system regs, not the U.S. currency basis. See http://www.bis.org/bcbs/basel3.htm
Would you please point me to the section you had in mind?

Panning the BIS site for "gold" turned up nuggets such as

http://www.bis.org/press/p030311d.htm

Anyways, I was referring to the international forex market which includes the current reserve currency, the US dollar.

What I know about Basel III is that bank leverage is capped at a mere 33:1.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Alexis wrote:
Typhoon wrote:For gold to be anything other than a minor commodity, our floating currencies would have to once again fixed, as per Bretton-Woods.

That is not the only scenario which would give gold again a central role in currency valuation and value storage.

Another scenario is collapse in value of one or more of the major currencies, be it US dollar, euro, yen or another, resulting from extreme increase in central bank balance sheets and indefinite zero interest policies. While probability of that scenario is not known - we are in completely unchartered waters -, it's certainly not zero.

Speaking of which, physical gold deliveries by the Shanghai Gold Exchange during the 6 first months of 2013 almost equaled the total of year 2012. Which is to say that rythm of gold delivery to Chinese buyers has practically doubled since gold price began to seriously fall beginning 2013.

- In China, gold price decrease is seen as an opportunity to buy more, since its price is so low.
:arrow: Gold is seen as having intrinsically a high value.

- In US, Europe and Japan, gold price decrease is seen as indication that "gold is over"
:arrow: Gold is seen as speculative instrument.

One thing is sure: one and only one of these opinions is deeply flawed and wrong.

I think the Chinese are right on that.

Time will tell.
No one buys more gold than India.

However, it is yet to become the land of milk and honey or, at least, lassi and chutney.