Capitalism and Its Discontents

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

Re: Capitalism and Its Discontents

Post by Typhoon »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Stagnant real wages cannot be discussed without giving a lot of air time to the depressing effect of mass immigration on working class wages. For some reason, most people on the left still don't want to talk about it. Apparently it's not polite.
FT | GE takes $1bn risk in bringing jobs home

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. A start of a trend?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Typhoon wrote:
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Stagnant real wages cannot be discussed without giving a lot of air time to the depressing effect of mass immigration on working class wages. For some reason, most people on the left still don't want to talk about it. Apparently it's not polite.
FT | GE takes $1bn risk in bringing jobs home

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. A start of a trend?
It's an interesting strategy. Offshore jobs to drive down labor costs, then, after awhile, bring the jobs back at permanently lower wages. You get to drive down labor costs and look like the good guy. By God, it just might work!
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:Indeed. Colluding with Big Govt to raise barriers to market entry helps to develop and maintain quasi-monopolies.
Yes, one day as income inequality increases and the notion that Americans are not in fact embarassed millionaires, but actually cannot access that wealth, they are going to just vote to nationalize those corporations.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Indeed. Colluding with Big Govt to raise barriers to market entry helps to develop and maintain quasi-monopolies.
Yes, one day as income inequality increases and the notion that Americans are not in fact embarassed millionaires, but actually cannot access that wealth, they are going to just vote to nationalize those corporations.
Haha, by far Steinbeck's best quote.

You overestimate the ability of the public to defy the will of their masters, when their masters control the mass media outlets.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:You overestimate the ability of the public to defy the will of their masters, when their masters control the mass media outlets.
That's true. Fortunately our masters are stupid enough in their greed so that eventually they will push their slaves just that inch too far. When that happens one sees "Madame la Guillotine" being dusted off once more... Mind you, I don't particularly want to see our masters decapitated, but I'm afraid that stripping them of their power will not be enough.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Money is an illusion conjured by agreement. The masters have no power at all without the complicity of others to carry it out.

John Galt or whoever can strike and I can loot his estate while his guards wait for him top begin compensating them again. Most likely they will be looting with me.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote:
No they won't.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote:Money is an illusion conjured by agreement. The masters have no power at all without the complicity of others to carry it out.
Money is a store of value, a measure of value, and a medium exchange. It's not the mystical entity you struggle to comprehend. You cannot change that which you cannot understand.
John Galt or whoever can strike and I can loot his estate while his guards wait for him top begin compensating them again. Most likely they will be looting with me.
Better hope what you loot lasts the rest of you life. It won't though.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Enki wrote:Money is an illusion conjured by agreement. The masters have no power at all without the complicity of others to carry it out.
You could say the same thing about civilization. What makes you think people are going to suddenly realize something that has gone over their heads for 5000 years? People don't yearn for freedom, not most people, not really. Marx thought that the nature of the prole's enslavement only needed to be made clear, and that this alone would lead to revolution. But the whole of modern leftism since the debacle in the 60s has been focused on the failure of the proletariat to seize the moment. They failed because, at bottom, most people want a boss giving them direction, in whom they can put their faith and fears, and who they can imagine has things under a modicum of control. It's just more comfortable. If the revolution comes, you're not going to be fighting John Galt. You're going to be fighting the army of fellow proles dedicated to protecting him, and furious that you are so intent on destroying their way of life.
Enki wrote:John Galt or whoever can strike and I can loot his estate while his guards wait for him top begin compensating them again. Most likely they will be looting with me.
Even more likely, the burly guards will stroke your pretty hair and make you dance for them. If you really think this is a possibility, you may want to evaluate your repertoire of skills that will be useful in the advanced looting phase, and maybe pay BS for a few lessons before TSHTF.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
You could say the same thing about civilization. What makes you think people are going to suddenly realize something that has gone over their heads for 5000 years? People don't yearn for freedom, not most people, not really. Marx thought that the nature of the prole's enslavement only needed to be made clear, and that this alone would lead to revolution. But the whole of modern leftism since the debacle in the 60s has been focused on the failure of the proletariat to seize the moment. They failed because, at bottom, most people want a boss giving them direction, in whom they can put their faith and fears, and who they can imagine has things under a modicum of control. It's just more comfortable. If the revolution comes, you're not going to be fighting John Galt. You're going to be fighting the army of fellow proles dedicated to protecting him, and furious that you are so intent on destroying their way of life.
Once more, you are right. But even the proles can be pushed too far. It has happened in 1789 and it happened again in 1917. I have this nagging feeling that the present masters will, once more, go too far and will be made to pay the price of excessive oppression. I was once an artillery officer. Who knows, maybe I will still be able to put my education to some useful purpose...
Juggernaut Nihilism

Endovelico wrote:
Once more, you are right. But even the proles can be pushed too far. It has happened in 1789 and it happened again in 1917. I have this nagging feeling that the present masters will, once more, go too far and will be made to pay the price of excessive oppression. I was once an artillery officer. Who knows, maybe I will still be able to put my education to some useful purpose...
Unfortunately, the outbursts of 1789 and 1917 only prove the point: they were temper tantrums and, as soon as the initial fever subsided, they quickly went about the business of finding new bosses, typically worse than the old ones.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:You could say the same thing about civilization. What makes you think people are going to suddenly realize something that has gone over their heads for 5000 years? People don't yearn for freedom, not most people, not really. Marx thought that the nature of the prole's enslavement only needed to be made clear, and that this alone would lead to revolution. But the whole of modern leftism since the debacle in the 60s has been focused on the failure of the proletariat to seize the moment. They failed because, at bottom, most people want a boss giving them direction, in whom they can put their faith and fears, and who they can imagine has things under a modicum of control. It's just more comfortable. If the revolution comes, you're not going to be fighting John Galt. You're going to be fighting the army of fellow proles dedicated to protecting him, and furious that you are so intent on destroying their way of life.
I was with you up to the last point. If John Galt strikes then he is not giving orders to the army of proles. The army of proles suddenly without John Galt to tell them what to do either mill about aimlessly or start taking orders from someone else.
Enki wrote:Even more likely, the burly guards will stroke your pretty hair and make you dance for them. If you really think this is a possibility, you may want to evaluate your repertoire of skills that will be useful in the advanced looting phase, and maybe pay BS for a few lessons before TSHTF.
You miss the point. If John Galt goes on strike the only thing he stops doing is telling people what to do, as that is his job. If he is still giving orders, he's not on strike.

It's a philosophical absurdity. Kind of like the notion that rich people will stop investing in America if they don't like the political climate. If there is money to be made, people will invest in whatever country there is money to be made in.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Unfortunately, the outbursts of 1789 and 1917 only prove the point: they were temper tantrums and, as soon as the initial fever subsided, they quickly went about the business of finding new bosses, typically worse than the old ones.
In the revolutions the proles still had someone telling them what to do, it was just a different someone.

The trait most likely to put someone in charge is charisma. But being charming doesn't mean you are of sound mind or character.
-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Money is a store of value, a measure of value, and a medium exchange. It's not the mystical entity you struggle to comprehend. You cannot change that which you cannot understand.
There is a miscommunication here.
Enki is talking about currency, which is dollars, euro, etc.
Mr. P is talking about money, which is gold and silver.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I disagree.

The precious metals standard, esp gold standard, was not the panacea that many of it's proponents believe it have been.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I disagree.

The precious metals standard, esp gold standard, was not the panacea that many of it's proponents believe it have been.
A commodity standard does not ensure perpetual, unbroken prosperity and growth, contrary to what many of its proponents make it sound like, however, it places a natural limit on many of the worst abuses of the state and of private speculators. If the Bush had to raise taxes to invade Iraq, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I disagree.

Not the question. Currency and money behave differently. They are related, but not identical.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I disagree.

A commodity standard does not ensure perpetual, unbroken prosperity and growth, contrary to what many of its proponents make it sound like, however, it places a natural limit on many of the worst abuses of the state and of private speculators. If the Bush had to raise taxes to invade Iraq, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq.
The US was on a gold standard from 1900 to 1934, switching from bimetalism to gold in 1900.

Wars that the USA was involved in during this time:

1899-1913: Philippine–American War

1900–1909

1910–1919

1920–1929

1930–1934

I don't that the empirical evidence supports your hypothesis.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I disagree.

The US was on a gold standard from 1900 to 1934, switching from bimetalism to gold in 1900.

1900–1909

1910–1919

1920–1929

1930–1934

Wars that the United States has been involved in since it dropped the gold standard altogether in 1971:

1971-2012
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

1900–1909

1910–1919

1920–1929

1930–1934

Wars that the United States has been involved in since it dropped the gold standard altogether in 1971:

1971-2012
Well, what that shows to me that being on or off a precious metal standard is irrelevant as to whether or not the US involves itself in a war.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Typhoon wrote:

1900–1909

1910–1919

1920–1929

1930–1934

1971-2012
Well, what that shows to me that being on or off a precious metal standard is irrelevant as to whether or not the US involves itself in a war.
When you're right, you're right.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
No, miscommunication on my part. As usual I understand him perfectly, he doesn't understand me at all.

Regardless of whether we are talking about money or currency. A dollar or an ounce of gold, is indeed a measure of value. No one is disputing that. But for a value to be meaningful, people need to agree on what that value is. That is what price stability is. I can get two apples for a dollar or a gallon of gas for four dollars, etc... We all agree on that, and thus the economy continues to function. When we stop being able to agree on what the value of a currency/money should be, then we are unable to trade. That's when a currency collapses. We have to have trust that other people share our perception of how much that unit of measure is really worth. When we have banks taking taxpayer money, causing a liquidity trap and using that liquidity trap as a pretext to take people's homes from them, this rocks the faith of those people that the system of money can benefit them.

The only thing that holds the fabric of the American monetary system together is the idea of the American Dream. The idea that if we work hard enough, we can get some of that money and use it to purchase the things we want. The liquidity trap and debt slavery challenges this assumption straight away. A whole generation of college students is being born into debt slavery. A corrupt financial system has made it so that the market will bear uncompetitive tuition rates. Tuition becomes increasingly expensive and the ROI on that tuition diminishes. This is a recipe for an entire generation that loses faith in the monetary system. As long as Conservatives gleefully tell 25 year olds who have 70,000 in debt, few job prospects and live at home with Mom and Dad that this must be so because they are lazy and stupid, they are alienating the whole next generation. It is plain as day for anyone to see that wealth has concentrated in the hands of the old at the expense of the young. Young people are being born into debt. The upwardly mobile American Dream seems increasingly like a farce. Mr. Perfect can threaten, cajole and make fun of me all that he wants, but I am speaking regularly to young people who see it this way.

Through Occupy Wall Street, I see the hardest working people I have ever met in my entire life called 'lazy' by the mainstream Conservative Press. I see people putting in 100 hour weeks for no pay whatsoever, because they'd rather pursue their own dream than someone else's. This vast pool of talent in the younger generation is not being effectively mobilized by corporate America, it simply is not. A few more shocks to the economy, and you'll see a younger generation that simply will not take it anymore. They were shafted more than anyone else in the past couple of years. They saw horrible risk taking rewarded by a Federal bailout. The people who hold their student debt were protected, buffered against their poor decision making regarding how they took risks, meanwhile the young people find themselves starting their professional lives in debt peonage. The ones who do ok are the ones who have parents who they can live with. They watch wages go down as companies ship jobs overseas, and then they are told that they should accept lower wages, except that's not really feasible for them, because how are they going to pay off the mountain of debt on lower wages?

We are very close to having an entire generation, the generation that is the future of this nation due to a biological certainty, lose faith in the American monetary system.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

money is an IOU from government, so yeh like any IOU, trust in the people scribbling on the paper is paramount.

rename this thread "fiat money from corrupt institutions and its discontents" and its probably less divisive, the OWS people arent angry at having a system of exchange thats cooler than barter... bottles of rum are hard to carry.

as for the west legislating itself into a corner to the protect the "haves" at the expense of the "want to haves", rant on that furthur i shall not.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The actual value of a U.S. dollar is about 8 min. of labor if one figures it using the minimum wage.

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote: No, miscommunication on my part. As usual I understand him perfectly, he doesn't understand me at all.

Regardless of whether we are talking about money or currency. A dollar or an ounce of gold, is indeed a measure of value. No one is disputing that. But for a value to be meaningful, people need to agree on what that value is. That is what price stability is. I can get two apples for a dollar or a gallon of gas for four dollars, etc... We all agree on that, and thus the economy continues to function.
Sort of.
When we stop being able to agree on what the value of a currency/money should be, then we are unable to trade. That's when a currency collapses.
No.
We have to have trust that other people share our perception of how much that unit of measure is really worth. When we have banks taking taxpayer money, causing a liquidity trap and using that liquidity trap as a pretext to take people's homes from them,
The Keynesians will tell you you got this backwards, that bailouts are because of liquidity traps, but details...
this rocks the faith of those people that the system of money can benefit them.
I propose we stop voting for Democrats, liberals, progressives and leftists in America as a solution.
The only thing that holds the fabric of the American monetary system together is the idea of the American Dream. The idea that if we work hard enough, we can get some of that money and use it to purchase the things we want. The liquidity trap and debt slavery challenges this assumption straight away. A whole generation of college students is being born into debt slavery. A corrupt financial system has made it so that the market will bear uncompetitive tuition rates. Tuition becomes increasingly expensive and the ROI on that tuition diminishes. This is a recipe for an entire generation that loses faith in the monetary system. As long as Conservatives gleefully tell 25 year olds who have 70,000 in debt, few job prospects and live at home with Mom and Dad that this must be so because they are lazy and stupid, they are alienating the whole next generation.
Actually history tells us that in a few years they will realize the conservatives were right and quickly start voting Republican.
It is plain as day for anyone to see that wealth has concentrated in the hands of the old at the expense of the young. Young people are being born into debt. The upwardly mobile American Dream seems increasingly like a farce.
This is very old leftist narrative that I am pleased to see still makes the circulation due to it's built in backfire features.
Mr. Perfect can threaten, cajole and make fun of me all that he wants, but I am speaking regularly to young people who see it this way.
I'm sure many people get lots of insights on LSD trips, usually just takes time to see how it works out.
Through Occupy Wall Street, I see the hardest working people I have ever met in my entire life called 'lazy' by the mainstream Conservative Press. I see people putting in 100 hour weeks for no pay whatsoever,
Then I would say lazy and stupid. ;)
because they'd rather pursue their own dream than someone else's.

The ski slopes are littered with bums also. :)
This vast pool of talent in the younger generation is not being effectively mobilized by corporate America, it simply is not.
It's not their job.
A few more shocks to the economy, and you'll see a younger generation that simply will not take it anymore. They were shafted more than anyone else in the past couple of years. They saw horrible risk taking rewarded by a Federal bailout.
Well, elect Democrats, don't be surprised by the results.
The people who hold their student debt were protected, buffered against their poor decision making regarding how they took risks, meanwhile the young people find themselves starting their professional lives in debt peonage. The ones who do ok are the ones who have parents who they can live with. They watch wages go down as companies ship jobs overseas, and then they are told that they should accept lower wages, except that's not really feasible for them, because how are they going to pay off the mountain of debt on lower wages?
Look in the real world you have to learn that actions have consequences. You elect Democrats don't be surprised when you end up with your pants down around your ankles.
We are very close to having an entire generation, the generation that is the future of this nation due to a biological certainty, lose faith in the American monetary system.
Sounds great. :)

See I told you the future of America was right wing. I'm glad you're starting to see it.