Baseball

And they're off . . .

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am

noddy wrote:Cricket is full of non classic pitchers - their was a period they trained it out of them but they also discovered that this usually removed their capability of doing something interesting with the ball and turned them into stock bowlers.

Knuckleballs are enjoyable to watch, 3 directions of movement also makes for the most memorable deliveries in cricket - with us thats 2 in the air and then one off the ground.

Image


I'll see your knuckleballers and raise you one alrodis chapman:

User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Australia gave Japan a real scare by scoring first and carrying a 1-1 tie into the eighth inning. But they blew it, first by missing an opportunity to score when they had the bases loaded with 1 out. Then the pitching gave in and two hung balls over the plate lead to a 4-1 loss.

The Taiwan-Netherlands game was also good from what I've read.

The Netherlands came back in the bottom of the last inning to pull off a victory, 5-4.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 pm

The US ended up going 2-1 and moving on to the second round.

The one loss was particularly painful, as they coughed up a 5-0 lead to the Dominican Republic.

The Marlin's Park in Miami was like 8-1 Dominican. Some Dominican tv news reporter (sports guys?) kept trying to get my party to give them a good quote about how the crowd had no American support and how it felt like a real away game in a foreign country.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

2017 World Baseball Classic

Postby Typhoon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am

People are becoming rather excited and hopeful about the performance of the team fielded by Japan

J Times | Eighth-inning heroics carry unbeaten Japan past Cuba

From what I understand, Cuba historically fields a strong team.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13486
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby Typhoon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The US ended up going 2-1 and moving on to the second round.

The one loss was particularly painful, as they coughed up a 5-0 lead to the Dominican Republic.

The Marlin's Park in Miami was like 8-1 Dominican. Some Dominican tv news reporter (sports guys?) kept trying to get my party to give them a good quote about how the crowd had no American support and how it felt like a real away game in a foreign country.


Don't follow baseball, but still think that it is unfortunate that the international WBC does not have a larger audience in the US as I infer from your comment.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 13486
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 am

Typhoon wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The US ended up going 2-1 and moving on to the second round.

The one loss was particularly painful, as they coughed up a 5-0 lead to the Dominican Republic.

The Marlin's Park in Miami was like 8-1 Dominican. Some Dominican tv news reporter (sports guys?) kept trying to get my party to give them a good quote about how the crowd had no American support and how it felt like a real away game in a foreign country.


Don't follow baseball, but still think that it is unfortunate that the international WBC does not have a larger audience in the US as I infer from your comment.


Agreed.

And this classic has been rather exciting, with plenty of close and memorable games- many decided in the late innings or even extra innings.

Tonight starts the final four semi-final, one game elimination from here on out:

Tonight is the Netherlands vs Puerto Rico

Tomorrow is The United States vs Japan

winners go to the final.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am

The United States finally beat the Dominican and all it took was the (what's being called) 'The Catch' :)



and Giancarlo Stanton's 117+ mph home run [tied for third hardest hit ball since Major League Baseball started tracking everything on the field by radar/computing in 2015]

User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby Simple Minded » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

best catch I've ever seen in baseball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJz0NgnnE
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 am

Simple Minded wrote:best catch I've ever seen in baseball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJz0NgnnE


its a gatorade commerical #fakenews :D
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 am

I rarely watch baseball, but when I do I'm going to start seeking out Spanish language announcers.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
User avatar
Nonc Hilaire
 
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Baseball

Postby Simple Minded » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:best catch I've ever seen in baseball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJz0NgnnE


its a gatorade commerical #fakenews :D


It's still the best catch I've ever seen in baseball.... ;)
"There's only two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people into two groups, and those who don't."
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 am

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:best catch I've ever seen in baseball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJz0NgnnE


its a gatorade commerical #fakenews :D


It's still the best catch I've ever seen in baseball.... ;)


touché ;)

---

Quite a game going on now, Netherlands and PR all tied up at 3-3 in the top of the sixth. Puerto Rico is changing pitchers right now.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 am

US vs Japan:

All tied up 1-1 going into the top of the seventh.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 am

aaaand the US wins!

Quite a pitcher's duel; the US squeaked by 2-1 on the back of a few poor defensive plays by Team Japan.

Tomorrow is the final

The United States vs Puerto Rico; winning is crowned World Champion.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 am

Image

The USA blew out Puerto Rico 8-0 in the final and are officially World Champions

:D
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Baseball

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 am

Image

Marcus Stroman was named the tournament MVP-- he was absolutely dominate tonight and took a no-hitter into the 7th inning in this game.

There was a bit of a sub-story going on that seems to have provided him with some extra motivation:

Stroman originally intended to pitch for Team Puerto Rico as his mother is Puerto Rican....and she's been getting death threats over his choice to pitch for the US, so there was a lot of sniping and barking all night long.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Previous

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest