Olympics

And they're off . . .

Olympics

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:53 pm

This gets sillier and more corrupt every year. This year we have the zika, coup, & pollution olympics.

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe? It would be more productive and interesting. Much better for the atheletes and year-round tourism too.

There is no overlap between yachting, track & field, and swimming. We do not need every sport in the same locale anymore.

This idea that every event must be held in the same country is archaic. Light a torch in each venue using lasers.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Olympics

Postby Typhoon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Nonc Hilaire wrote:. . .

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe?

. . .

If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

There too much money to be made by the IOC, both open and esp under-the-table, by moving the Olympics from country to country.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:51 am

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:. . .

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe?

. . .

If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

There too much money to be made by the IOC, both open and esp under-the-table, by moving the Olympics from country to country.

Plus for whatever price we pay in graft, we get to keep all the schemers in one room preoccupied on one event. Could you imagine what they'd do if we took away their toy? :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:30 am

Personally, the whole thing is too much. I've no interest in the pageantry; and the rampant cheating, while probably a fixture since at least the 60s, has soured me on what was once supposed to be a display of amateur sporting.

It's like USA Basketball. It was easy to root for the overkill professional Dream Team just for how overwhelming it all was...but here we are 7 Olympics later and it's not fun watching millionaires at their peak who essentially train against the best competition in the world annually to go out there and beat up on ol'Serbia.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 am

I think it may be more enjoyable if they split it up some and really made it a global event but the big roadblock is the media. The worldwide press doesn't want to send out reporters to several locations, and the talking-heads want access to all the action so they could write or talk about the same handful of stories that they do at every 4 years.

They could split the events on some sort of rotation and then bargain off a "host" country for the open and closing ceremonies, and maybe an event/sport that country's good at.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby YMix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Typhoon wrote:If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

For some years Greece has been a competition venue for migrant swimming, running, vaulting etc. Hope we don't get to see spear throwing.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

YMix wrote:
Typhoon wrote:If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

For some years Greece has been a competition venue for migrant swimming, running, vaulting etc. Hope we don't get to see spear throwing.

In Greece, Schnauble could probably medal in the javelin catch.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Postby noddy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:14 am

dont forget that "biathlon" combined hiking and shooting thing, it might aswell be called the alien hunt.

the olympics are very stale, i cant see them lasting much longer without some sort of new approach.
noddy

Postby Typhoon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:45 am

For all the rampant corruption,

I still enjoy watching rowing, some of the track and field events, wrestling, women's diving, and a few others.

Last, but not least, judo

Tokyo is host in 2020 and, unlike 1964, it has been one bureaucratic screw up after another.
And probable massive bribery of the IOC to win it in the first place.

Contrary to popular impression, the original ancient Olympics had rank corruption, cheating, and even [useless] drug use.

Human nature.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby noddy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 am

i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

the market will decide which is truly the bigger visual spectacular, i have a suspicion the current puritan rhetoric will be discovered as hollow.

eg: sprinters like drag cars, they should only last the 10 seconds of the race and the skill in the dosage will be just making it to the finish line and going straight on the heart and lung machines
noddy

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm

noddy wrote:i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

the market will decide which is truly the bigger visual spectacular, i have a suspicion the current puritan rhetoric will be discovered as hollow.

eg: sprinters like drag cars, they should only last the 10 seconds of the race and the skill in the dosage will be just making it to the finish line and going straight on the heart and lung machines

Varies by sport. Judo should always be held in Kyoto. Sailing should always be in Australia. This big event marketing nonsense has been outdated by decades. The decathlon should always be in Greece. Track always in Berlin.

The idea of requiring the physical co-location of events every four years is wasteful, corrupt and absurd.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am

NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
noddy wrote:i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

Varies by sport. Judo should always be held in Kyoto. Sailing should always be in Australia. This big event marketing nonsense has been outdated by decades. The decathlon should always be in Greece. Track always in Berlin.

The idea of requiring the physical co-location of events every four years is wasteful, corrupt and absurd.

cute idea - however it would be hard to seperate from the regular world cups all sports have and reduce the event spectacle of it all.
noddy

Postby noddy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 am

whilst i have no doubt of the truth of russian government involvement i do wonder how much they are more guilty than the rest.
noddy

Return to Sports