And they're off . . .

Re: Sport

Postby Typhoon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 am

All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Re: Sport

Postby noddy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 am

Typhoon wrote:

clear headed and incredible reflexes, hit n giggle cricket can be entertaining.
noddy

Cricket | A bit of a sticky wicket

Postby Typhoon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 pm

All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Re: Cricket | A bit of a sticky wicket

Postby noddy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 am

was a bright point in a dull series, poor ole west indies are not a cohesive team at the moment.
noddy

Postby Torchwood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Enjoying the Ashes, noddy?

(sorry, couldn't resist. I have been around too long seeing England teams thrashed in previous series, revenge is best served cold)
Torchwood

Postby noddy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 am

im glad you get to experience that finally :)

like most modern australians my missus cant stand cricket but ive been sneeking a bit of watching it in before bed because the timezone difference lets me see the period before the lunch break.

the funniest part of the excuses from cricket australia about our modern batsmen being t20 orientated is that we are crap at t20 aswell!
noddy

Postby Torchwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Torchwood wrote:Enjoying the Ashes, noddy?

Repeated without irony this time.

England can only hope that Mitchell Johnson returns to his past wayward self in Adelaide. Pitches there tend to be as alive as the Dodo, and as England's batsmen seem to be useless, I do not hold out great hope.

The great thing about the Ashes is that it is so even over the long run - each side have won 31 series each.

Aussies are gracious losers, but terrible winners. They have not learnt that condescending graciousness is far more annoying to the losing side; thought colonial cringe had gone, but apparently not. That is apart from the Trott afair, Warner, Broad and it seems Anderson are great cricketers but complete pillocks as human beings.
Torchwood

Postby noddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 am

the ironic part of mitchell johnson was that he had a depressive breakdown during that previous english tour due to all the abuse he copped and had to give up cricket for while, i dont seem to remember the english press handling that quite the same way.

as for the australian press, the less said the better, i can only assume both sides of the murdoch empire have decided to make this all as exciting and overblown as they can in a desperate attempt to stop crickets decline into minor irrelevance.

warner and broad are alright, they are both complete twats but its natural to them and they take it aswell as they give it, so it all good and adds a bit of spice.

davey boy is a complete bogan (chav?) and the analysis on his unfortunate interview about trott misses the fact he would speak that way about himself or anyone else without blinking. i wouldnt be surprised if his sweet talk to the missus started with "oi cvnt".

anderson on your side and both watson and faulkner on ours are cringeworthy and repulsive, different to warner or broad they are more aware of what the lines actually are and are malicious in their approach, with dummy spits and spitefulness.

as for the cricket itself, i was surprised to see your double collapse and it certainly has given the series more hope of being alive but the rest of the pitches in australia are roads, so its the next few games that will show whats really going on and whos batting is the most fragile :)

cant say im looking forward to cooks grind em out snorefest approach on these dead pitches, it would be best if australia collapses and gets it over and done with in that case.
noddy

Postby noddy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:36 am

o_O its not working out as expected, the aussie press is going to set new standards for cringeworthyness.

bright point is that the english do droll self deprecation better than anyone so ill stick to reading that hehehe.
noddy

Postby Torchwood » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:39 am

Johnson may be fast and intimidating, but England were abominable. And how come Nathan Lyon can get the ball to spin and Swanny and Panesar can't? I am not sure I will watch any more, it's too painful.
Torchwood

Postby noddy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 am

johnson is spraying it round as much as he ever did, cricket is funny like that, its all down to ignoring the ones that arent going to hit the stumps and the english are usually masters of that, cook is way out of form.

i really cant see him as that fast either, 140 to 145 with a occasional effort balls hitting 150 is pretty much bog standard australian fast bowler, traditionally thats not been considered scary fast, times have changed.

shame pattinson and cummins are broken down, they really can get it over 150 and with much more accuracy.

least you guys finally had some good performances, carberry and root both impressed.

must say i am looking forward to the WACA and really hope its the fast and furious version and not the flat and hot version, it makes for explosive bowling and explosive batting, warner can go off like gilchrist if the gods are smiling.
noddy

Postby noddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 am

no gloating from me, it was kind of sad towards the end.
noddy

Postby noddy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:59 am

good news for the afghan refugees in pakistan and india who played cricket to fill in their time, they have made it to the final 10 of the hit-n-giggle (*) t20 world cup, which is an amazing display of punching well above your weight.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-t ... 81787.html

When Afghanistan have a good day on the field, there is something magical about it. They already inhabit a special place in cricket history, but their days aren't magic just because of history, it is the way they play and this almost preternatural feeling that on some days, nothing can stop them. Like the spirit of cricket is real, interventional and a member of their team.

Today was one of those days.

(*) unlike most sports cricket comes in 3 different flavours, t20 is the newest and shortest of them and breaks the cliches of cricket being a long, slow moving game, its all over in 2.5 hrs.
in comparison one day cricket takes 6-8hrs and test cricket takes 5 days and 30 or more hours.
noddy

Postby Typhoon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:03 am

All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby noddy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 am

for some odd reason they are showing australian domestic cricket on american tv this year.

noddy

Postby Typhoon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:53 pm

ABC | The Ashes: Australia beats England by an innings and 41 runs at the WACA to seal series victory

As I understand it, winning "The Ashes" is big deal in the sport of cricket.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby noddy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 am

Typhoon wrote:ABC | The Ashes: Australia beats England by an innings and 41 runs at the WACA to seal series victory

As I understand it, winning "The Ashes" is big deal in the sport of cricket.

its not a big deal in cricket per se - its the derby between england and australia so is importantish to those 2 countries, other countries mostly ignore it

this year was terrible, 15 days into the 25 day competition and england folded :/
noddy

Return to Sports