Is darts a sport or a game?

And they're off . . .
Nonc Hilaire

Is darts a sport or a game?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Hoosiernorm

Re: Is darts a sport or a game?

Post by Hoosiernorm »

I've never heard anyone ask anyone if they wanted to play a sport of darts but I have heard them ask if they would like to play a game of darts.
Been busy doing stuff
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hoosiernorm wrote:I've never heard anyone ask anyone if they wanted to play a sport of darts but I have heard them ask if they would like to play a game of darts.
I really just wanted a cute title for the GIF of this guy throwing a double Robin Hood in the triple twenty, but then I decided to google it and found a cool website http://www.differencebetween.net/miscel ... and-sport/. It's all essays on differences between similar terms and objects.

I think they would classify it as a sport with some elements of game.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I always thought the difference between a sport and a game was whether or not there was a defense. If there are defensive players, it's a sport; if there aren't; it's a game.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I always thought the difference between a sport and a game was whether or not there was a defense. If there are defensive players, it's a sport; if there aren't; it's a game.
That leaves out track and field, boxing. If anything, I would turn that definition 180°.

I have trouble thinking of anything involving a ball as anything but a game. A ball always adds in a random element.

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

dont know where to post this

aKb-62FD874
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Most leading darts players seem to be massively overweight and have a glass of beer to hand.

Surely that disqualifies it as a sport.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i dont actually believe their is a distinction between them and its an english quirk and that article is complety made up.

sport is the act of playing a game.

eg: do you sports ? why i yes i had a game of sports on the weekend.

A physical activity,
.. ermm like esports ?
When a game relies on strategy, sport is based on individual performances and luck.
.. wow, , where to start.
In a sport, the athlete can take independent decisions, but a player cannot take such independent decisions in a game. l
.. yay more of the same.

etc etc.
SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition
be in no way harmful to any living creature
not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport
which pretty much encapsulates all 'games' and doesnt include any of the gobbledygook i had trouble with in the referenced article.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Torchwood wrote:Most leading darts players seem to be massively overweight and have a glass of beer to hand.

Surely that disqualifies it as a sport.
are you saying test cricket isnt a sport ?

ultracrepidarian