Football [Soccer]

And they're off . . .
Typhoon

Football [Soccer]

Post by Typhoon »

dncl5jghW6s
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Football [Soccer]

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Why I’ve fallen out of love with football
A friend of mine says that when he’s driving and listening to one of the countless football programmes on talk radio, in which fans call in to rant about their team’s manager, opponents, referees, ballboys, et cetera, he feels the urge to phone in himself and say: “Have you ever realised it doesn’t really matter?”
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

GgO-pQBo68w
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Saw Lima's goal for Benfica live last night. An excellent piece of football.

nmfWdAoQh1s
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

So... Real Madrid and FC Barcelona sent home by two German teams. Even on the football pitch, the Germans defeated the Spanish. At least Real Madrid threatened to actually go forward. FC Barcelona lost 0-7 to Bayern. Daaaaamn.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

YMix wrote: Even on the football pitch
Indeed, the master race deserve complete hegemony over those useless lazy Latins! (sorry, that was to wind up Endovelico). The Spanish era in football seems to be over.
Bayern I can understand, but Borussia Dortmund? :roll:

I think we locals will tend not to notice when those two fight it out at Wembley.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:Bayern I can understand, but Borussia Dortmund? :roll:
Heh, they came within an inch of losing. Too bad Real started playing only after min. 80.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

So, am Samstag bekommt London eine deutsche Stadt. (on Saturday, London will become a German city).

Fussball comes home

To be fair, England v Germany games (which Germany nearly always win) are pretty good natured affairs, not like Germany v Netherlands or England v Scotland.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:So, am Samstag bekommt London eine deutsche Stadt.
Yup. Here's hoping it will be a good game.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Who says Germans have no sense of humour?Dortmund seem to have.

Explanation for non-Europeans: with typical efficiency, at holiday resorts Germans have a reputation of being first down in the morning, and bagging all the deckchairs by the poolside...
YMix

Post by YMix »

It was a great game! :D
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

YMix wrote:It was a great game! :D
Yes, but there was more diving than in an Olympic swimming pool. The game would have had a different outcome if (as should have happened) both Ribery and Dante had been sent off.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:Yes, but there was more diving than in an Olympic swimming pool.
One of my main problems with football today. It's disgusting to see grown men rolling on the pitch and screaming at the slightest touch. Still, I've seen worse.
The game would have had a different outcome if (as should have happened) both Ribery and Dante had been sent off.
True, but it would have also killed the game. And I'm pretty disappointed with BVB. Despite all their attacks and opportunities, they could only score from a lame penalty kick. :roll:
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Was at Wembley tonight to see England qualify for a trip to Brazil, as top of their group in the World Cup Qualifiers. Excellent goals from Rooney and Gerrard. Great atmosphere - 20,000 Polish supporters made it feel like an away game!

First time I have been to the new Wembley, which I must admit is impressive. The first time I went to the old Wembley? First game of the 66 world cup finals, a boring England 0 - Uruguay 0 draw. Remembering that, I suddenly feel old.
noddy

Post by noddy »

for the first time ever our soccer team played quality teams like brazil and france and got its ass whupped (6-0) in both cases.

this triggered a coach sacking and much hoo har, it was delightfully absurd as our previous highly inflated sense of our own quality came from regularly beating such powerful teams as the solomon islands and new guinea and accidently making it into the world cup one year on the back of that.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/sport ... =recg&_r=0
A Yellow Card, Then Unfathomable Violence, in Brazil
... Cantanhede twice stabbed Abreu, who died by the time he reached the nearby hospital. In retaliation, the police said, Cantanhede was set upon by at least four of Abreu’s friends, whose bleakest impulses were fueled by alcohol, drugs and a crowd that stoked the violence the way wind stokes a fire. Cantanhede was tied up, smashed in the face with a bottle of cheap sugarcane liquor, pummeled with a wooden stake, run over by a motorcycle and stabbed in the throat, the police said. The moment of death remained uncertain. What came before did not stop another of the accused from a gruesome completion.

Graphic images taken by hospital workers showed that Cantanhede’s lower legs were cut off and left beside him like prostheses. His right arm and left wrist remained attached by strips of skin. He was decapitated and his head was placed on a wooden fence post across the road from the field.

“In the first moment, I didn’t believe it happened,” said Valter Costa dos Santos, the regional police chief and lead investigator in the case. “I didn’t think human beings had such perverseness to do this.”
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Born in the U.S., Playing for Iran

The moment for Beitashour, 27, appears to have arrived.

Twice in recent years, he was called in to train with the United States national team, but he did not participate in a match. His international eligibility remained fluid. Last October, Iran gave him a chance to play at right back and Beitashour accepted, his chances of making the American team having receded.

He is expected to be in Brazil for the World Cup in June, when Iran will face Nigeria, Argentina, and Bosnia and Herzegovina in group play.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

rK6OL9uCrkA

#France
Parodite

Re:

Post by Parodite »

L3qJFjlDvKY
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Cruijff RIP

Post by Parodite »

RIP Johan Cruijff, 1947-2016

Srx8rZc1jcs

The Godfather of Ajax, Dutch successes and bringing FC Barcelona to its winning streaks as player and coach. Ballet and intelligence, athletics, timing, improvisation. Also a contrarian knucklehead often in conflict with others.

He had Zen-like wisdom on football:

1. “The most difficult thing about an easy match is to make a weak opponent play bad football.”

2. “What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.”

3. “If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

4. “People who are not of my level can’t affect my integrity.”

5. “Every disadvantage has its advantage.”

6. “The ball is an essential part of the game.”

7. “There’s only one moment in which you can arrive in time. If you’re not there, you’re either too early or too late.”

8. “I barely ever make mistakes because I have trouble with being mistaken.”

9. “Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.”

10. “To play well, you need good players, but a good player almost always has the problem of a lack of efficiency. He always wants to do things prettier than strictly necessary.”

11. “Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.”

12. “It’s better to go down with your own vision than with someone else’s.”

13. “If you can’t win, make sure you don’t lose.”

14. “In a way I’m probably immortal.”

http://isleofholland.com/read/sports/14 ... -explained
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

Tomorrow... it begins.

At 10 PM, it's Romania versus France. En garde, Alexis!
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Concerning our relations with Europe, in the last week we have had one of the dumbest and most incompetent acts in our history, which has left many in this nation angry and bewildered as we have become a global laughing stock.

Yes, I am talking about England 1 Iceland 2

Much more important than mere politics

National humiliation complete
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:Concerning our relations with Europe, in the last week we have had one of the dumbest and most incompetent acts in our history, which has left many in this nation angry and bewildered as we have become a global laughing stock.

Yes, I am talking about England 1 Iceland 2

Much more important than mere politics

National humiliation complete
Not quite.

Don't know if it is apocrypha or not, but

apparently the coach of the England team is payed millions of pounds per year,

whereas the coach of the Iceland team is a part-time dentist.

Now complete.