Rugby | Aussie Rules Football

And they're off . . .
Typhoon

Rugby | Aussie Rules Football

Post by Typhoon »

[Video deleted by Youtube]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Rugby | Aussie Rules Football

Post by noddy »

their is a huge stink in australian sports at the moment, mainly in aussie rules and rugby, about the legal doping going on as it turns out they are all running the ragged edge of the law (surprise surprise).

in a simplified nutshell, their are banned muscle growing drugs and their are medications for injury recovery which if taken in hospitals with medical surpervision are allowed.

the situation is somewhat akin to herion being illegal but doctors can give you morphine in hospital.

so... if you get a doctor on the staff and during the offseason he proscribes to within an inch of the testing levels its perfectly legal..
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

The Six Nations Championship is on. I must say I'm quite disappointed that Wales beat France by getting lucky in the last ten minutes.
uk.eurosport wrote:Wales were left elated after a thoroughly justified victory
Justified my ass. :(
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ireland vs. England. Half an hour in and Sexton is out. :shock:
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

gA5bwqVN5LM

Damn...
noddy

Post by noddy »

japan beating south africa at rugby is unprecendented.

new zealand beating brazil at soccer ? the philipines beating the americans at gridiron ?

hard to say, its crazy.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Indeed.

1ghArmsJjQM
noddy

Post by noddy »

shame we have no poms here anymore :P
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:shame we have no poms here anymore :P
Indeed. The sportsmanship of the British fans in the stadium was a real pleasure to see.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ireland 20-43 Argentina

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

DfsDjm6xvAA
noddy

Post by noddy »

the fact he was the monster example of how big and fit you can be while also being extremely sick and fragile is one of those somber moments.

people just dont come bigger and fitter than Jonah.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

nBYqhr2qoqA
noddy

Post by noddy »

female football and cricket are the new big thing over here, will be interesting to see how it pans out long term.

as a cricket fanatic i tried to get into female cricket but alas, it was like watching local amateurs compared to the pro level mens stuff so i cant honestly say id waste quality time on it.

football might do better, more women liked watching that for perve value so the potential fan base and player base are larger.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:female football and cricket are the new big thing over here, will be interesting to see how it pans out long term.

as a cricket fanatic i tried to get into female cricket but alas, it was like watching local amateurs compared to the pro level mens stuff so i cant honestly say id waste quality time on it.

football might do better, more women liked watching that for perve value so the potential fan base and player base are larger.
I don't watch pro sports at all except for parts of the Olympics.
However, if I was to watch any pro league,
then watching a bunch of fit athletic women tackling each other,
would be preferable to, say, watching a bunch of guys in shorts running around chasing a ball and constantly feigning injury.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote:female football and cricket are the new big thing over here, will be interesting to see how it pans out long term.

I don't watch pro sports at all except for parts of the Olympics.
However, if I was to watch any pro league,
then watching a bunch of fit athletic women tackling each other,
would be preferable to, say, watching a bunch of guys in shorts running around chasing a ball and constantly feigning injury.
:)

i only watch cricket - its more chess than sport and infinitely boring to those who arent into its nuances.

australia is a sport mad country so basic awareness of all sports is maintained by osmosis, its impossible to avoid it.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/the ... 5b3bc43c66
Japan has produced another Rugby World Cup shocker to beat an Ireland team that was ranked No. 1 coming into the tournament.

Japan beat South Africa in the 2015 World Cup in what was considered the biggest upset in the tournament’s history.

The shock win over Ireland rivals the famous “miracle of Brighton” defeat of South Africa — but the wild victory scenes after the match have surpassed the iconic 2015 win.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BBC | Rugby World Cup: Japan 28-21 Scotland

Japan is in the Quarterfinals. A first.

Wonder if their J-English team name "Brave Blossoms" is a motivating factor.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 am Wonder if their J-English team name "Brave Blossoms" is a motivating factor.
I cant imagine who thought of that and decided it was a good idea.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:27 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 am Wonder if their J-English team name "Brave Blossoms" is a motivating factor.
Unfortunately, I can speculate. Some senior old fart who claims to know Engrish came up with the translation from Japanese, wherein blossoms have a different connotation. Younger fluent English speakers probably knew it sounded odd, but could not object as this would mean loss of face to the important senior. So in the interest of maintaining wa/harmony the name stayed.

I was once asked to check the translation of a brochure/web page of a major scientific conference. "Executive Committee" was translated as "Execution Committee". I was very tempted to leave it as it was, but as it was a friend who had asked for assistance and he would have been held responsible being the organizing gopher, I corrected it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 pm
Unfortunately, I can speculate. Some senior old fart who claims to know Engrish came up with the translation from Japanese, wherein blossoms have a different connotation. Younger fluent English speakers probably knew it sounded odd, but could not object as this would mean loss of face to the important senior. So in the interest of maintaining wa/harmony the name stayed.

I was once asked to check the translation of a brochure/web page of a major scientific conference. "Executive Committee" was translated as "Execution Committee". I was very tempted to leave it as it was, but as it was a friend who had asked for assistance and he would have been held responsible being the organizing gopher, I corrected it.
hah.

Im curious under which japanese linguistic conditions "blossoms" isnt feminine and delicate now.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:54 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 pm

hah.

Im curious under which japanese linguistic conditions "blossoms" isnt feminine and delicate now.
Japan is out after their best performance to-date.

In J-culture, cherry blossoms | sakura, the original name of the rugby team, are associated with the transient and impermanent nature of life - existence and are thus associated with the lives of samurai.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:17 pm the transient and impermanent nature of life - existence and are thus associated with the lives of samurai.
That makes sense, thanks for that - I couldnt link macho and blossoms no matter how creative I got, Its good to learn something :)
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian