Judo | Olympic Wrestling

And they're off . . .
Typhoon

Re: Sport

Post by Typhoon »

HXSfHylsSUo

_____

Found this remarkable documentary about the heavyweight class silver medalist at the Tokyo 1964 Olympics: Doug Rogers [Canadian]

nkNkr0HuXlc

mbFZhTW5Eq8

DvR0ggbcCeQ
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Typhoon wrote: Found this remarkable documentary about the heavyweight class silver medalist at the Tokyo 1964 Olympics: Doug Rogers [Canadian]
Absolutely fascinating. I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of him before.

It is not viewable on the National Film Board official site, so extra thanks to the person who uploaded it to Youtube.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Judo | Olympic Wrestling

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Sumo | Women's

Post by Typhoon »

Vpf_Q2Qrxfk
Typhoon

Re: Judo | Olympic Wrestling

Post by Typhoon »

OWW2pr04JUY
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Antipatros wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Found this remarkable documentary about the heavyweight class silver medalist at the Tokyo 1964 Olympics: Doug Rogers [Canadian]
Absolutely fascinating. I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of him before.

It is not viewable on the National Film Board official site, so extra thanks to the person who uploaded it to Youtube.
Now available on the NFB site:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/judoka
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:48 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi__krE4TJs

Mi__krE4TJs
Hip throw? Foot sweep? Lift him off the ground by his crotch and just dump him? 🤗

Reminds me of baseball or golf where there is a spiraling type of trunk rotation used to gain momentum.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:37 pm
Typhoon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:48 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi__krE4TJs

Mi__krE4TJs
Hip throw? Foot sweep? Lift him off the ground by his crotch and just dump him? 🤗

Reminds me of baseball or golf where there is a spiraling type of trunk rotation used to gain momentum.
The throw is called 内股 - uchi-mata meaning "inner thigh", not 金玉 - kintama meaning "testicles", literally "gold balls" ;)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 am

Mi__krE4TJs

The throw is called 内股 - uchi-mata meaning "inner thigh", not 金玉 - kintama meaning "testicles", literally "gold balls" ;)
I think steel balls for the judoka taking a foot off the mat.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:27 am
Typhoon wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 am

Mi__krE4TJs

I think steel balls for the judoka taking a foot off the mat.
All the years I was an active judoka, I was never clipped in the kintama.

In this regard, baseball and cricket seem more dangerous . . . ;)