Motor Sports

And they're off . . .
Hoosiernorm

Motor Sports

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... e/1942087/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — NASCAR has spent months touting its redesigned 2013 Sprint Cup car as its best model yet for keeping drivers safe.

Starting with Sunday's Daytona 500, the sanctioning body will face questions about whether its catchfences are up to par in protecting fans from danger.

When Kyle Larson's Chevrolet sailed into the frontstretch barrier at Daytona International Speedway and scattered debris that injured 28 fans, it marked the second time in less than a year that fans were hurt at a NASCAR event.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Re: Motor Sports

Post by Hoosiernorm »

fnHRCeUcDL4
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Gotta make sure to watch the Daytona 500 today

Boogity Boogity Boogity !
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Gotta make sure to watch the Daytona 500 today

Boogity Boogity Boogity !
What caused the crash? Did the "32" car bump the black car in front of it?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

The car got loose and was basically pushed airborne. The safety packages on the nationwide cars are different from sprint cup cars and the vehicle was basically airborne at that speed. It was hit the wrong way at the wrong time and the roof and hood foils were not able to keep it from lifting off the ground. When it hit the fence it basically disintegrated because the car is designed to do that in a catastrophic crash. The fence was never designed to catch the small pieces that hit it, it was made to absorb the energy of a vehicle but not something like an engine. If you could see the banking that the cars race at (The Sunday cup race had the gyro cams that really gave the viewer the sense of how much banking there is on that track) it would help make sense of what occurred at the nationwide race on Saturday.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

9vZu7ta2iHs

Here's a little bit of the gyro cam from the winner of the race Jimmy Johnson. The in car POV is really interesting because of all of the information that is given by spotters and crew chiefs.
Been busy doing stuff
jerryberry

Post by jerryberry »

I watched qualifying, some practice and some of the race today in Kansas. Lots of problems on that track. Kansas. Thought about going to Long Beach this weekend but I have reading and hiking to do. :D
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

t7gmbQ8KxM4
Deep down I'm very superficial