World Cup Brazil - 2014

And they're off . . .
Nonc Hilaire

Re: World Cup Brazil - 2014

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Spain (1) - Holland (5)

dqNE7zoKjgM
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

Congratulations to your national team, Parodite. :)

Azari, we have a sports forum, ffs.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

The Dutch were awesome against Spain, who never expected to lose, based on their great power and success before...just like the Sea Beggars in the 16C...

Oh, wait a minute, that was a draw after extra time ... they got to keep Belgium.

As an England supporter, you hope for the best and expect the worst (England 1 - Italy 2). The good news is that Uruguay got unexpectedly beaten by Costa Rica, and Luis Suarez was not fit to play, and may not be against England. Uruguay are a one man team, and he's not playing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Image
heh.

"if i wanted to watch a bunch of guys struggle to score for 2 hrs id go to the pub with my mates"
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Nz7U0g8Puqc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Spain, the defending World Cup champion, eliminated.

[What happened?]

England eliminated. Condolences Torchwood.

Japan hanging on ... barely. Greece played well with one man sent off.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Holland (2) - Chili (0)

YMix

Post by YMix »

Portugal has only 1 point after two matches and is last in its group. :o
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

And Italy joins England on the plane back to Europe.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Suarez allowed to play next match:

YMix

Post by YMix »

His next match will be against Mike Tyson.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Japan walloped and out.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Shame on the referees, bribed or not bribed, of this tournament. And the FIFA refusing to fully use video technology and help the referee. Just the latest.

Columbian player plows his knee in the back of Brazilian attacker Neymar.. who breaks a vertebra and is out of the tournament. No card.. nothing.

German Hummels pushes away French defender Varane with his arm freeing himself to score and then indeed scores with a head kick. Using your arm to push another away is not allowed however. It's messy in front of the goal usually and many do it so it's hard to see it all properly for a referee.. but when an attacker clearly does it and the result is a goal, the least a referee could have done is discount it and give France a free kick instead.

Interestingly enough, I have not heard anybody claim it was an actual faul of Hummels. I watched again the goal and it is clear Hummel pushes Varana away, keeping him at a distance with his arm to free himself to score.. all the way from the moment they both run towards the ball after the free kick was taken and the ball curves down towards the French goal. Varane himself is not pushing Hummels with his arms.. in that case one could argue that both played faul.

I wonder if there is any strange psychology behind it why nobody, the French for starters, objected against this German goal. Must be something like " of course the Germans are stronger... again... who would have doubted that."

This tournament deserves more free diving of Arjen Robben :lol: I hope for a final Holland - Germany and that Robben skydives the Dutch to victory.

(This particular dive though deserved that penalty, as did an earlier one where no penalty was given. His contested free dive in the first half he admitted and apologized for but was outside the 16m goal area and was also not rewarded/punished by the referee so it had no consequence for the game)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Summary quarter final Holland - Costa Rica, Holland wins after penalty shoot out. (not sure if it's visible outside the Netherlands)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX91GWAEv7o
tX91GWAEv7o
Costa Rica vs. the Netherlands: A Tale of Two Goalies
One played his heart out the entire game, the other strode in at the very end to save two penalty kicks and send the Orange Crush to the semifinals.
[...]
Awesome semi-finals: Germany- Brazil (Tuesday), Holland- Argentina (Wednesday)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Brasil.vs Germany -- Grass on the field grew 1/32nd of any inch during the first half!!!! In other news: Germany scores 5 goals in the same half against Brasil. :lol:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ouch.
Doc

Post by Doc »

God is Dead?

Score: Brasil 32 billion to build stadiums, Germany 7 in stadium. Its no wonder they are crying. Sorry Brasil. Next time you might do better if you get Angela Merkel on your team...
Last edited by Doc on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Soccer: The cause of demonic possession?

Last edited by Doc on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BREAKING NEWS: BRASIL LAUNCHES RETALITORY STRIKE AGAINST GERMANY !!