Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Australia has done a first rate job of mismanaging energy generation, esp in the state of S Australia. This is the result.

Your claim is obviously delusional. Those two kleptocracies are not even on the map:

https://www.woodmac.com/content/portal/ ... G-2014.pdf

Japan imports bupkes from Iran and can easily obtain 10% of its LNG from other sources than Russia.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i already provided links earlier but alas the neener neener approach to conversation doesnt involve reading.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I would like to respectfully remind you that this is the Japan thread.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:I would like to respectfully remind you that this is the Japan thread.

True

Back to Japan's last 400 yrs history, Japan had Sakoku ("closed country") policy that spanned the two and a half centuries of tenuous political unity known as the Edo period (1603–1868)

My rudimentary , hear say, information of that period in Japan history, was, that, any foreigner setting foot on Japanese shore would be killed, that was the job of the SAMURAI .. they would kill any unauthorized foreigner in Japan.

That was an excellent policy, and, kept Japan away from those colonial beasts who "enslaved" and destroyed South East Asia.

Japan being an Island, and not so much of "geopolitical" importance of that period, had easy job keeping that policy.

Not Iran .. Iran was sandwiched between 3 beasts .. British India .. Russian Tzars and Ottoman empire

When Japan decided to open up, same time Iran decided, Japan had smooth sailin, but, Brits did not let Iran do the same

noddy

Post by noddy »

its not all good outcomes.

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I actually don't know if the rockabillies still exist. The old timers must be getting on in years.

Wearing a damn western dark suit and tie on a hot sunny and humid summer day.
I'd happily ditch this bit of so-called cultural appropriation in favour of traditional men's wear evolved for the climate.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

noddy wrote:its not all good outcomes.

zKD7g56DNN0
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Heracleum Persicum

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:I would like to respectfully remind you that this is the Japan thread.

True

Back to Japan's last 400 yrs history, Japan had Sakoku ("closed country") policy that spanned the two and a half centuries of tenuous political unity known as the Edo period (1603–1868)

My rudimentary , hear say, information of that period in Japan history, was, that, any foreigner setting foot on Japanese shore would be killed, that was the job of the SAMURAI .. they would kill any unauthorized foreigner in Japan.

That was an excellent policy, and, kept Japan away from those colonial beasts who "enslaved" and destroyed South East Asia.

Japan being an Island, and not so much of "geopolitical" importance of that period, had easy job keeping that policy.

Not Iran .. Iran was sandwiched between 3 beasts .. British India .. Russian Tzars and Ottoman empire

When Japan decided to open up, same time Iran decided, Japan had smooth sailin, but, Brits did not let Iran do the same

Fresh translations of samurai accounts of ‘barbarian’ ship arriving at the height of Japan’s feudal isolation

Heracleum Persicum

Masao Yoshida
The Man who saved Japan

“Just keep pumping,” he told subordinates. “Pretend you didn’t hear me [tell Tepco executives he was pumping fresh water] and just keep pumping.”

The Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission established by the parliament later concluded that (Yoshida’s) disregard for corporate headquarters instructions was possibly the only reason that the reactor cores did not explode.

It was Masao Yoshida’s finest hour.

vnr6CcQhoy0

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

LDP suffers crushing defeat in Tokyo metropolitan assembly poll
Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike’s new local party and others supporting her captured a majority in the 127-seat Tokyo metropolitan assembly on July 2, while the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) flamed out in a disastrous showing.
The LDP, lead by PM Abe, currently has a majority in the national parliament, the Diet.
Voter turnout stood at 51.28 percent, up from the 43.50 percent of the previous election four years ago.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Asias-most-innovative-countries-01.png
Asias-most-innovative-countries-01.png (63.85 KiB) Viewed 2475 times

Japan # 3 ! ! ! ! !

Alexis

Japanese defense

Post by Alexis »

What's in Japan's Record 2018 Defense Budget Request?
Government officials noted that the budget request, which represents a 2.5 percent increase from the initial defense budget for fiscal 2017, is in response to the series of recent North Korean ballistic missile launches and increased Chinese activities in the East and South China Seas.

Details of the request are yet to be fully finalized, but officials indicated that Japan will request money for: the introduction of the Aegis Ashore land-based missile defense system (amount unspecified because needs to be negotiated with the United States); SM-3 Block 2A intercept missiles (47.2 billion yen); PAC-3 MSE missiles (20.5 billion yen); the enhancement of the automatic warning and control system’s detection capacity (10.7 billion yen); the development of a next-generation radar capable of tracing stealth aircraft (19.6 billion yen); two destroyers that can remove sea mines (96.4 billion yen); six F-35A stealth fighters (88.1 billion yen); four Osprey tilt-rotor transport aircraft (45.7 billion yen) the maintenance of facilities for Self-Defense Forces units stationed on the southwestern islands of Okinawa (55.2 billion yen); the development of a high-speed glide bomb for use in contingencies on such islands (10 billion yen); the development of a system to monitor space activity (4.4 billion yen).
Japan's defense continues to receive a smaller part of national economy (48 billion $ out of 4.9 tril $ GDP, about 1%) than defense of such countries as Germany, not to speak of France or Britain, not to speak of Russia or China, not to speak of the United States.

However, the trend is unmistakenly towards larger outlays.

Chinese government expressed concern:
Hua Chunying, spokesperson for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, “We are aware of the reports [about Japan’s defense spending request] and are concerned about this.” Hua continued that Japan has been exaggerating the “China threat” to increase military spending, and that China should be on high alert to Japan’s moves and its real motives.
Chinese government spent officially 147 billion $ on its military last year, thrice Japan's defense budget. Unofficial estimates place the total much higher, above 200 billion $.

China plans to increase its military budget 7% this year.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

PR China wants to have their rice cakes and eat them too.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | As crime dries up, Japan’s police hunt for things to do
Petty Officers
. . ., as the police run out of things to do, they are becoming more inventive about what constitutes a crime, says Kanako Takayama of Kyoto University. In one recent case, she says, they arrested a group of people who had shared the cost of renting a car, deeming the arrangement an illegal taxi. Some prefectures have begun prosecuting people who ride their bicycles through red lights.
I've been busted for bicycling with my light off at night.

A friend was busted for smoking 1 metre outside of the designated smoking area at an airport.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | As crime dries up, Japan’s police hunt for things to do
Petty Officers
. . ., as the police run out of things to do, they are becoming more inventive about what constitutes a crime, says Kanako Takayama of Kyoto University. In one recent case, she says, they arrested a group of people who had shared the cost of renting a car, deeming the arrangement an illegal taxi. Some prefectures have begun prosecuting people who ride their bicycles through red lights.
I've been busted for bicycling with my light off at night.

A friend was busted for smoking 1 metre outside of the designated smoking area at an airport.
i wouldn't take this personally if I were you. Give da man a badge, he's gonna use it.

White cops hassling minorities happens in some big US cities also. ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

:?:
Heracleum Persicum

Japan-US relationship :
How strong is the glue?

. . possible ‘de-coupling’ of the Japan-US defense relationship if Tokyo seeks an independent nuclear capability

Japan should join Russia China pol

noddy

Post by noddy »

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplac ... yvgiy.html
A Japanese journalist's gruelling work schedule - including 159 hours of overtime and just two days off in a single month - triggered the heart failure that killed her at the age of 31.

Labour regulators ruled that Miwa Sado's death was due to "karoshi" - the Japanese word for a death due to overwork
sometimes taking your communal culture seriously isnt the best.

their are environments like this in australia but i suspect they are easier to walk away from.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote::?:
An attempt as (obviously tooooo) subtle humor. Assuming, of course, that the cop who hassled you in Japan was not white, and that in Japan, you don't stand out as a minority. :oops:

all that time in Chicago, and they didn't teach you how to play the victim card? :P