Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplac ... yvgiy.html
A Japanese journalist's gruelling work schedule - including 159 hours of overtime and just two days off in a single month - triggered the heart failure that killed her at the age of 31.

Labour regulators ruled that Miwa Sado's death was due to "karoshi" - the Japanese word for a death due to overwork
sometimes taking your communal culture seriously isnt the best.

their are environments like this in australia but i suspect they are easier to walk away from.
This is a yuge problem in Japan.
You're correct that it is more difficult to walk away from due to social and cultural norms.

Someone so sleep deprived is not creative, efficient, or productive.

And yet the politicians and bureaucrats seem unable to see a way to address the below replacement birthrate.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote::?:
An attempt as (obviously tooooo) subtle humor. Assuming, of course, that the cop who hassled you in Japan was not white, and that in Japan, you don't stand out as a minority. :oops:

all that time in Chicago, and they didn't teach you how to play the victim card? :P

Unfortunately, no. I was associating with the wrong groups.

Anyways, playing the victim card will not get one far with the J-police or the public.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

Unfortunately, no. I was associating with the wrong groups.

Anyways, playing the victim card will not get one far with the J-police or the public.
I figured as much. Interesting how the influence of peers can be either to your detriment or your benefit.

Good to know Simple Mindedness knows no borders. ;)
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Party of Hope
Yuriko Koike
Japan’s political populism

“Farewell, fettered politics.”
Kobe Steel
Shinzo Abe's
Waterloo

Hmmmmm

The Asia Times can be an entertaining read at times, but not one to take too seriously.

LDP Abe's coalition seen near supermajority in Japan election poll
Koike's Party of Hope sheds support as liberal rivals gain ground: Nikkei survey
Anyways, we will know soon enough as the election is this coming Sunday, 23 Oct.

"Don't you wish you election campaigns were as short as mine."
YMix

Post by YMix »

The media says Japanese voters went to the polls despite the... Typhoon.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:The media says Japanese voters went to the polls despite the... Typhoon.
;)

NHK | LDP PM Abe's Coalition to Stay in Power
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party and its coalition partner, Komeito, have secured a majority of seats in the Lower House. PM Abe had set it as a benchmark for victory in Sunday's general election.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

22554828_1461534813900149_7119040025412003831_n.jpg
22554828_1461534813900149_7119040025412003831_n.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Heracleum Persicum

Yen .. is it going to weaken , or strengthen ? ?

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Yen .. is it going to weaken , or strengthen ?
Yes. ;)
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:.

Yen .. is it going to weaken , or strengthen ?
Yes. ;)

Explains Macron's predicament :lol:

Heracleum Persicum

My bet is, Yen will weaken , probably 5%, next 12 months

noddy

Post by noddy »

one thing i read, and have no idea how true it is, was that Abe was standing on dismantling the pacifist constitution and normalising japans defences as per the rest of the world.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:one thing i read, and have no idea how true it is, was that Abe was standing on dismantling the pacifist constitution and normalising japans defences as per the rest of the world.
Yes. Although the term used translates best as "amending'.

It is a controversial proposal, but NK and China have done their bit to help popularize PM Abe's plan.
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:.

one thing i read, and have no idea how true it is, was that Abe was standing on dismantling the pacifist constitution and normalising japans defences as per the rest of the world.

US retreating "worldwide" .. Idea is, Japan should take care of own security

Question now before Japanese people is, how this "security" should be achieved

Whether militarize, take a confrontational posture against China (and Russia) .. or .. try friendship and (sort of) join Chinese wing

That is the decision Abe has to make

US is pushing Japan to chose "confrontational" approach, Abe might agree .. would be a mistake

noddy

Post by noddy »

america has nothing at all todo with how china behaves with its neightbours - it has only itself to blame for the fact noone trust them.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Corporate Japan hit by severe labour shortages

Companies across a range of sectors — from construction to aged care — have warned in recent days that a lack of staff is starting to hit their business.

“Delays to construction projects are becoming chronic,” said Motohiro Nagashima, president of Toli Corporation, one of Japan’s biggest makers of floor coverings.
Heracleum Persicum

A Lonely Death

All I can say, is, very sad , very very sad

I wonder .. In Vancouver, builders built houses for Chinese immigrant, must have many bedrooms .. Chinese come with grand parents and and , Chinese restaurants one sees 10 people of all ages @ same table .. meaning Chinese tradition is to grand parents live with the new generation

Why not so in Japan ?

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A Lonely Death

All I can say, is, very sad , very very sad

I wonder .. In Vancouver, builders built houses for Chinese immigrant, must have many bedrooms .. Chinese come with grand parents and and , Chinese restaurants one sees 10 people of all ages @ same table .. meaning Chinese tradition is to grand parents live with the new generation

Why not so in Japan ?

The situation in Japan you linked typically occurs for people who are divorced, and not remarried, or never married.

Divorce in Japan has a finality to it.
One of the parents receives custody of the children, if any, and all contact/ties with the other spouse/parent are broken permanently.
Joint custody is a foreign concept. Westerners who marry a Japanese, have children, and then divorce often learn this the hard way.

Note that the situation in China is not as rosy as in Vancouver. To the point that the govt enacted a law obliging children to visit their parents.

FT | China’s children are legally bound to respect their elders
Shanghainese who turn their back on ageing parents can be punished via a credit blacklist
The problem of aging adults living alone is a growing problem for all industrialized societies.
Japan with its massive postwar demographic bulge and declining birthrate is at the forefront.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This scandal has been brewing for some time.
If it smells, then put a lid on it.

~ Japanese proverb
Becoming difficult to keep the lid on on this one.

Reuters | Japan PM, finance minister under fire over suspected cronyism scandal
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s finance ministry on Monday acknowledged that documents in a suspected cronyism scandal had been doctored, said a senior ruling party official, as pressure mounts on Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his ally Finance Minister Taro Aso over the case.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:This scandal has been brewing for some time.
If it smells, then put a lid on it.

~ Japanese proverb
Becoming difficult to keep the lid on on this one.

Reuters | Japan PM, finance minister under fire over suspected cronyism scandal
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s finance ministry on Monday acknowledged that documents in a suspected cronyism scandal had been doctored, said a senior ruling party official, as pressure mounts on Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his ally Finance Minister Taro Aso over the case.
Asahi Shimbun - Reuters| Suicide note shows official’s fear of being blamed for land sale scandal
noddy

Post by noddy »

after all the time we spend laughing at silly orientalism and crude racial cliches.....

the thought of politicians suiciding because they got caught being dodgy is still alien to me .

mine are usually proud of it
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:after all the time we spend laughing at silly orientalism and crude racial cliches.....

the thought of politicians suiciding because they got caught being dodgy is still alien to me .

mine are usually proud of it
IMSMO,it is the pinnacle of human consciousness, self-chosen, self-direstce, free will Darwinism.

Kinda like Climate Change True Believers who castrate themselves.

Once you realize you are a weed in the crop field of humanity, the only logical/honorable thing to do is to cull yourself (pun intended). :P
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/04/ ... llars.html

Rare metals discovery on remote Pacific atoll is worth billions of dollars
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... s-show-why?

One in four surveyed Japanese workers admits to wanting to kill boss

seems low to me - im sure i can find companies over here with better stats.
ultracrepidarian