Asia

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Kathaksun and the Matlab Pirates........

Post by monster_gardener »

Azrael wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Carbizene wrote:Image

Is that MATLAB on the computer monitor nearest to the camera? :lol:
Either that or he's changing his account settings on the Spengler forum.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack & Azrael
If it's MATLAB in North Korea, almost certainly pirated as mentioned before.......

Maybe kathaksung / katsung47 ? ;)

kathaksung lists his location as San Jose, CA......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Re: Asia

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Indonesia Chases China As Middle-Class Consumption Soars
From 1999 through the end of 2011, Indonesia’s annual growth surged from zero to 6.5 percent, swelling the number of middle-class consumers by 50 million to more than 130 million, according to the World Bank.
During the same period, the average wealth per adult jumped fivefold to more than $12,000, Credit Suisse Group AG reported in October.

While some other fast-developing countries such as China struggle to switch from an export-led to a consumption-based growth model, Indonesia is ahead of the game: Consumer spending accounted for 55 percent of gross domestic product in 2011; the comparable figure for China in 2010 was 35 percent.
Largest Gold Mine
On May 1, the Jakarta index was trading at 14.3 times estimated earnings compared with an emerging-markets average of 10.6.
“In the longer term, Indonesia is clearly highly favorable,” Davy says. “But from the shorter-term perspective, it is one of the more expensive emerging markets.”

Indonesia is the world’s No. 1 exporter of power-station coal, tin and the palm oil that greases one-third of the world’s frying pans and woks.
It’s also home to the largest gold mine and the single biggest recoverable copper reserve and is the world’s second- biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas.

Foreign direct investment -- the biggest source being neighboring Singapore -- jumped 20 percent last year to a record $19.3 billion.
In the space of five weeks in December and January, both Fitch Ratings and Moody’s Investors Service raised Indonesia’s debt to investment grade.
Ive had my fingers crossed for indonesia for a long time now, i cant imagine a better outcome for me than them doing well.

they have slowly been growing out of the dictatorship wreckage and their latest pm, Bambang Yudhoyono is exceeding expectations on all fronts.. seems a very pragmatic man who has managed to side step the xenophobes in his country and mine and keep the various tensions under control.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Re: Kathaksun and the Matlab Pirates........

Post by Azrael »

monster_gardener wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Carbizene wrote:Image

Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack & Azrael
If it's MATLAB in North Korea, almost certainly pirated as mentioned before.......

Maybe kathaksung / katsung47 ? ;)

kathaksung lists his location as San Jose, CA......
North Korean spies in San Jose? Who knew!
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

China, Japan and S Korea in free trade talks

Interesting, no?

Three Asian countries with a complex history of enmity towards each other considering free trade.

Bloomberg | China Plans Talks With Japan, Korea on Free-Trade Area

The global economy must be in serious trouble . . . :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:China, Japan and S Korea in free trade talks

Interesting, no?

Three Asian countries with a complex history of enmity towards each other considering free trade.

heh, ive been badly saying this for a while now, that the dropping trust levels in the western institutions are creating a new sense of whats risky and a re-routing of the worlds money flows... no longer are the americans considered trustworthy with money.

in my computing/mining world its all about asia and the southern hemisphere now and the traditional "risks" of bodgy governments are not any higher than the european/western ones to a lot of perceptions im hearing.

you can only carry on like a third world country for so long before the third world countries are considered equals, its all good, unless your a westerner with expectations of the past booms coming back.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Typhoon wrote:China, Japan and S Korea in free trade talks

Interesting, no?

heh, ive been badly saying this for a while now, that the dropping trust levels in the western institutions are creating a new sense of whats risky and a re-routing of the worlds money flows... no longer are the americans considered trustworthy with money.
GsSXMT0NrB4
noddy wrote:in my computing/mining world its all about asia and the southern hemisphere now and the traditional "risks" of bodgy governments are not any higher than the european/western ones to a lot of perceptions im hearing.

you can only carry on like a third world country for so long before the third world countries are considered equals, its all good, unless your a westerner with expectations of the past booms coming back.
Indeed. After reading Liar's Poker, I would have thought that the world would have wised up after 1987. However, Golden Slacks is not longer the only game in town.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Burma

Post by Typhoon »

From another board . . .
chindit13 wrote: - Tue, Jun 12, 2012 - 01:55 AM

Welcome to Burma! It’s a country rich in resources but poor in wealth. It has been mismanaged for the better part of fifty years, but recently has given it citizens and the world a glimmer of hope that it wants to be something other than what it has been. An election, which only approximated a sham, and a new constitution which made no pretense of being anything more than a sham, have brought the world’s powers acallin’. Well, it brought the ones who had not assumed Burma was just another renegade province whose ancient manuscript detailing its true providence had yet to be written.

Encouraged by the nation’s dogged determination to pretend, US SecState Hillary Clinton made a visit and declared progress was being made. To some extent that is true. While the new parliament is, per the aforementioned constitution, stuffed full of a military majority that has retained the “right” to retake absolute power at any time for any reason, elections were held that allowed a powerless minority to also take seats in the hoped-to-be august body. Among those elected was Nobel Laureate and daughter of the country’s primary anti-colonial hero Aung San, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The masses applauded her victory. The world applauded her victory. The powers that be in the country saw that this was both good and generally harmless, so they let the victory stand, unlike her party’s earlier landslide victory in 1990.

Ms. Clinton praised this additional progress, and summarily removed the strict sanctions that had been installed to make the US feel good about itself by pretending it was standing up for human rights, when the exact same rights’ violations in China had merely resulted in “constructive engagement” for that major market and major chump for Treasury‘s endless debt. Being resource rich in a world of declining resources and declining markets, morality suddenly carried a cost, and cost is something the US will not pay for something as quaint as the moral high ground. The country’s geopolitical significance, standing as it does between China and Indian Ocean access, also contributed to the new embrace of the land by Washington.

So the resource grab can begin!

Not so fast.

While resource rich, the goods are not uniformly distributed throughout the country. Most sit in two states, Kachin State in the northeast, and Yakhine (aka, Rakhine, Arakan) State in the west. Kachin has teak, gold, silver, platinum, uranium, nickel, chromate, iron, antimony, molybdenum, Rare Earths, jade, and dam-able rivers. China likes all of the above, especially the last two.

Yakhine has, both on and offshore, rather substantial natural gas deposits and sufficient oil to make its exploitation economically viable. China likes these, too, and has not only signed agreements to purchase most of the output, but is even constructing two 450 mile pipelines to carry both from the Indian Ocean to Kunming. The oil pipeline, parallel to the gas line, will also, and predominantly, carry Middle Eastern oil, saving two to three weeks’ travel time through the pirate-infested Straits of Malacca.

The Burmese Government, while welcoming the massive inflow of Chinese investment, began to realize not only that it had placed all its eggs in one basket, but also that its very autonomy as a nation was being threatened. On top of that, since the two states holding all of the resources are not peopled by the majority Burman population, but instead by ethic minorities who have never had the best of relations with the central government, the ability of the government to maintain control over the resources---and allow China virtually unfettered access---was limited.

This point was brought home to the central government in no uncertain terms in 2011, when the Kachin people---famous for virtually inventing guerilla warfare and who served bravely and admirably with Allied Forces such as Merrill’s Marauders, Vinegar Joe Stilwell, and even Orde Wingate’s Chindits during WWII---began to take exception both to their government selling Kachin resources to China, but also to China for raping and pillaging their environment.

Their last straw was when China contracted with the central government in Nay Pyi Daw---which has replaced Ouagadougou as the world’s most unusual capital city name---to construct a massive hydroelectric dam on the confluence of the two rivers that join to form the Ayeyarwaddy. That place has long been held sacred by the Kachin people, and they did not take kindly to China forcibly relocating 15,000 Kachin villagers and importing 20,000 Chinese laborers to construct the 450’ dam, laying waste to the area called Myitsone.

The Kachin, who possess both a military wing (KIA) and a political wing (KIO) that represent them and their aspirations, fought back. They blew up a few Chinese and set up snipers and ambush teams to pester anyone and anything trying to make the trip on the one and only road connecting the Kachin capital of Myitkyina with China’s Yunnan Province.

China, miffed, demanded both a Burmese military response and $600 million in damages from the Burmese Government. The government did not send the money, but they did send the military. The Chinese did their part, too, by fronting the Burmese military with all the necessary hardware, ammunition, artillery and---reportedly---poison gas shells to put the Kachin people back in line.

As Joe Stilwell knew rather well, the Kachin are not cowards. They continued to fight. The Burmese government intensified the response, which, according to local tradition, involves purposely targeting civilians, using systematic rape as a weapon of war, and forcing captured civilians to act as porters and human mine sweepers, as the situation demands.

The US has ignored these transgressions and has continued to embrace the ruling authorities. The war has heated up, and it threatens the ongoing sourcing of all of the resources held with Kachin lands. China has been largely shut out.

Of additional significance is the fact that about half the revenues taken in by the central government originate from resource exploitation and licensing rights in Kachin State.

Most of the other half of revenues come from Yakhine State. Recently, that has become a problem, too. The Yakhine problem is different from the Kachin problem, because while Kachin State is an ethnic minority against the government, in Yakhine State it is an ethnic minority against another ethnic minority, the Buddhist Yakhine people vs. the Moslem Rohingya people.

Though both faiths claim to embrace peace, reality does not always jibe with the practice of the faithful. In Burma, there has always been tension between the largely Buddhist population and the Moslems and Indians (some Moslem, some Hindu). A few years ago a Moslem of Indian descent imported some women’s wrap around skirts, the garment favored by Burmese women, that were decorated in a print that could be mistaken for a wheel. Because Buddhists hold some reverence for the Great Wheel of Existence, and because the garments were to be worn “down there” by women, who are still viewed as unclean by local society, passions flared. A group of monks put to flames the homes of some Moslem garment merchants, burning many families alive. The Moslems responded. Many died before tempers calmed. In any faith, peace takes a back seat to passion.

Recently in Yakhine, rumors surfaced that a Moslem Rohingya had raped a Buddhist girl. Whether or not the rumor was true, and whether or not dozens of Buddhist girls had been raped by Buddhist men recently, did not matter. It became us vs. them. Villages have been torched, usually by bands of roving Buddhist monks, and the Rohingya have responded. Scores have already died, and the tensions are spreading to other parts of the country. Yet again, Buddhists and Moslems have renewed old animosities. (The Kachin are largely Christian, so they are uninvolved.)

The central government has called for peace. It has sent troops into Yakhine State, though because of the ongoing war in Kachin State, they are stretched thin. While still in its nascent stages, the strife does carry the potential to harm the ongoing exploitation of oil and gas in the area, plus it could threaten the vulnerable twin pipelines, still under construction. China might get shut out here, too. The central government also stands to lose more revenue, something it can hardly afford.

The wild card in this Yakhine battle is not the two opposing faiths, but rather the nation of Bangladesh, who has a difference of opinion over who gets to drink whose milkshake in the waters and lands bordering the two countries. Sharing a common faith with the Rohingya, Bangladesh has taken sides and is supporting the Moslems vs. the Buddhists. Not so far away, India is keeping an eye on this budding conflict.

Governments vs. their own people. One ethnic group vs. another. Competing desires to control and exploit increasingly scarce natural resources. Geopolitical considerations. All are at play in Burma, and all offer a glimpse, perhaps, in what awaits the rest of the world in the coming years.
Wish I could convince chindit13 to join us.
monster_gardener

Buddhists Vs. Muslims...... Muslims vs. Muslims......

Typhoon wrote:From another board . . .
chindit13 wrote: - Tue, Jun 12, 2012 - 01:55 AM

Welcome to Burma! It’s a country rich in resources but poor in wealth. It has been mismanaged for the better part of fifty years, but recently has given it citizens and the world a glimmer of hope that it wants to be something other than what it has been. An election, which only approximated a sham, and a new constitution which made no pretense of being anything more than a sham, have brought the world’s powers acallin’. Well, it brought the ones who had not assumed Burma was just another renegade province whose ancient manuscript detailing its true providence had yet to be written.

Encouraged by the nation’s dogged determination to pretend, US SecState Hillary Clinton made a visit and declared progress was being made. To some extent that is true. While the new parliament is, per the aforementioned constitution, stuffed full of a military majority that has retained the “right” to retake absolute power at any time for any reason, elections were held that allowed a powerless minority to also take seats in the hoped-to-be august body. Among those elected was Nobel Laureate and daughter of the country’s primary anti-colonial hero Aung San, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The masses applauded her victory. The world applauded her victory. The powers that be in the country saw that this was both good and generally harmless, so they let the victory stand, unlike her party’s earlier landslide victory in 1990.

Ms. Clinton praised this additional progress, and summarily removed the strict sanctions that had been installed to make the US feel good about itself by pretending it was standing up for human rights, when the exact same rights’ violations in China had merely resulted in “constructive engagement” for that major market and major chump for Treasury‘s endless debt. Being resource rich in a world of declining resources and declining markets, morality suddenly carried a cost, and cost is something the US will not pay for something as quaint as the moral high ground. The country’s geopolitical significance, standing as it does between China and Indian Ocean access, also contributed to the new embrace of the land by Washington.

So the resource grab can begin!

Not so fast.

While resource rich, the goods are not uniformly distributed throughout the country. Most sit in two states, Kachin State in the northeast, and Yakhine (aka, Rakhine, Arakan) State in the west. Kachin has teak, gold, silver, platinum, uranium, nickel, chromate, iron, antimony, molybdenum, Rare Earths, jade, and dam-able rivers. China likes all of the above, especially the last two.

Yakhine has, both on and offshore, rather substantial natural gas deposits and sufficient oil to make its exploitation economically viable. China likes these, too, and has not only signed agreements to purchase most of the output, but is even constructing two 450 mile pipelines to carry both from the Indian Ocean to Kunming. The oil pipeline, parallel to the gas line, will also, and predominantly, carry Middle Eastern oil, saving two to three weeks’ travel time through the pirate-infested Straits of Malacca.

The Burmese Government, while welcoming the massive inflow of Chinese investment, began to realize not only that it had placed all its eggs in one basket, but also that its very autonomy as a nation was being threatened. On top of that, since the two states holding all of the resources are not peopled by the majority Burman population, but instead by ethic minorities who have never had the best of relations with the central government, the ability of the government to maintain control over the resources---and allow China virtually unfettered access---was limited.

This point was brought home to the central government in no uncertain terms in 2011, when the Kachin people---famous for virtually inventing guerilla warfare and who served bravely and admirably with Allied Forces such as Merrill’s Marauders, Vinegar Joe Stilwell, and even Orde Wingate’s Chindits during WWII---began to take exception both to their government selling Kachin resources to China, but also to China for raping and pillaging their environment.

Their last straw was when China contracted with the central government in Nay Pyi Daw---which has replaced Ouagadougou as the world’s most unusual capital city name---to construct a massive hydroelectric dam on the confluence of the two rivers that join to form the Ayeyarwaddy. That place has long been held sacred by the Kachin people, and they did not take kindly to China forcibly relocating 15,000 Kachin villagers and importing 20,000 Chinese laborers to construct the 450’ dam, laying waste to the area called Myitsone.

The Kachin, who possess both a military wing (KIA) and a political wing (KIO) that represent them and their aspirations, fought back. They blew up a few Chinese and set up snipers and ambush teams to pester anyone and anything trying to make the trip on the one and only road connecting the Kachin capital of Myitkyina with China’s Yunnan Province.

China, miffed, demanded both a Burmese military response and $600 million in damages from the Burmese Government. The government did not send the money, but they did send the military. The Chinese did their part, too, by fronting the Burmese military with all the necessary hardware, ammunition, artillery and---reportedly---poison gas shells to put the Kachin people back in line.

As Joe Stilwell knew rather well, the Kachin are not cowards. They continued to fight. The Burmese government intensified the response, which, according to local tradition, involves purposely targeting civilians, using systematic rape as a weapon of war, and forcing captured civilians to act as porters and human mine sweepers, as the situation demands.

The US has ignored these transgressions and has continued to embrace the ruling authorities. The war has heated up, and it threatens the ongoing sourcing of all of the resources held with Kachin lands. China has been largely shut out.

Of additional significance is the fact that about half the revenues taken in by the central government originate from resource exploitation and licensing rights in Kachin State.

Most of the other half of revenues come from Yakhine State. Recently, that has become a problem, too. The Yakhine problem is different from the Kachin problem, because while Kachin State is an ethnic minority against the government, in Yakhine State it is an ethnic minority against another ethnic minority, the Buddhist Yakhine people vs. the Moslem Rohingya people.

Though both faiths claim to embrace peace, reality does not always jibe with the practice of the faithful. In Burma, there has always been tension between the largely Buddhist population and the Moslems and Indians (some Moslem, some Hindu). A few years ago a Moslem of Indian descent imported some women’s wrap around skirts, the garment favored by Burmese women, that were decorated in a print that could be mistaken for a wheel. Because Buddhists hold some reverence for the Great Wheel of Existence, and because the garments were to be worn “down there” by women, who are still viewed as unclean by local society, passions flared. A group of monks put to flames the homes of some Moslem garment merchants, burning many families alive. The Moslems responded. Many died before tempers calmed. In any faith, peace takes a back seat to passion.

Recently in Yakhine, rumors surfaced that a Moslem Rohingya had raped a Buddhist girl. Whether or not the rumor was true, and whether or not dozens of Buddhist girls had been raped by Buddhist men recently, did not matter. It became us vs. them. Villages have been torched, usually by bands of roving Buddhist monks, and the Rohingya have responded. Scores have already died, and the tensions are spreading to other parts of the country. Yet again, Buddhists and Moslems have renewed old animosities. (The Kachin are largely Christian, so they are uninvolved.)

The central government has called for peace. It has sent troops into Yakhine State, though because of the ongoing war in Kachin State, they are stretched thin. While still in its nascent stages, the strife does carry the potential to harm the ongoing exploitation of oil and gas in the area, plus it could threaten the vulnerable twin pipelines, still under construction. China might get shut out here, too. The central government also stands to lose more revenue, something it can hardly afford.

The wild card in this Yakhine battle is not the two opposing faiths, but rather the nation of Bangladesh, who has a difference of opinion over who gets to drink whose milkshake in the waters and lands bordering the two countries. Sharing a common faith with the Rohingya, Bangladesh has taken sides and is supporting the Moslems vs. the Buddhists. Not so far away, India is keeping an eye on this budding conflict.

Governments vs. their own people. One ethnic group vs. another. Competing desires to control and exploit increasingly scarce natural resources. Geopolitical considerations. All are at play in Burma, and all offer a glimpse, perhaps, in what awaits the rest of the world in the coming years.
Wish I could convince chindit13 to join us.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Typhoon.........
A group of monks put to flames the homes of some Moslem garment merchants, burning many families alive. The Moslems responded. Many died before tempers calmed. ...............

Recently in Yakhine, rumors surfaced that a Moslem Rohingya had raped a Buddhist girl. Whether or not the rumor was true, and whether or not dozens of Buddhist girls had been raped by Buddhist men recently, did not matter. It became us vs. them. Villages have been torched, usually by bands of roving Buddhist monks, and the Rohingya have responded. Scores have already died, and the tensions are spreading to other parts of the country. Yet again, Buddhists and Moslems have renewed old animosities.
Sad.......... Very Sad......Shameful......... Buddhist Monks aren't supposed to act like the Christian Monks :roll: of Ancient Alexandria.... :evil:

Observant Buddhists usually come out badly in confrontations with Muslims...... Remembering what happened when the Malignant Muslim Meme reached India:
"They slaughtered the shaven pated Brahmins...... the Buddhist monks and nuns.........

But still IMVHO this is something "monks" should NOT be doing... Not this way..

Really should return to the laity first IMVHO..........

Sometimes someone less enlightened is needed to protect the more enlightened...... A reason Indians advise waiting till old age for monkhood.........

Remembering when a Monkey, a Pig, and a Lizard Man had to protect a Monk........... ;)

Could be wrong.... Have read that some Zen claim to be able to slay without malice or attachment....

This sounds more like the warrior monks of Mount Hiei......

Sharing a common faith with the Rohingya, Bangladesh has taken sides and is supporting the Moslems vs. the Buddhists.
Maybe not so much..

Bangla Desh is starting to treat them pretty much the way it treats its Hindu population after Hindu India rescued it from the Punjabis.....BADLY

But to be fair, there are a lot of them already there............ and the article says the new government is "reformist"..... hope that means something good........

Hat tip to Jim the Moron at the Spengler Board........

Bangladesh turns away Rohingya"
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... y-rohingya

Remember when folks got all upset over Australia's rejection of Muslims escaping from West Asia? This after they had passed through other Islamic lands such as Malaysia? Now we have these unfortunate Muslim women and children being forced to return to one of the most savage repressive governments in the world.

Jim the Moron

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... y-rohingya

Bangladesh guards pushed back three more boats of Rohingya Muslims fleeing violence in Myanmar, officials said Tuesday, as the UN refugee agency called for the border to be opened.

Patrol teams intercepted the boats of Rohingya people trying to enter Bangladesh on Monday night across the Naf river, Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) Major Shafiqur Rahman said.

"The three boats were carrying 103 Rohingya, including 81 women and children,'' he told AFP.

The boats were detained and later returned to Myanmar territory, he said, adding the BGB had turned away a total of 11 boats carrying more than 400 Rohingya since Monday.
But Bangladesh has stepped up security along its 200-kilometre (125-mile) border with Myanmar to prevent an influx of Rohingya refugees.

"It is not in our interest that new refugees come from Myanmar,'' Foreign Minister Dipu Moni told reporters.

"The entry of refugees from Myanmar has impacted in Bangladesh's social, environmental and law and order situation.''

Bangladeshi officials estimate that a total of 300,000 Rohingya people live in the country, with only about a tenth of them in two official refugee camps in the southern district of Cox's Bazaar.

Rohingya are a stateless people described by the United Nations as one of the world's most persecuted
A state of emergency has been declared for Rakhine state, which borders Bangladesh, posing a major test for the reformist government which took power last year.
And I hadn't heard about the change of government........ Not sure the Wiki is up to date........ Last listed election was 2008
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bloomberg | Aging Japan-Chinese Workers Drive Jobs To Southeast Asia
The so-called demographic dividend from a rising supply of young workers is one reason Japan’s second-largest shipbuilder expanded in the Philippines, where workers are on average half the age of its Japanese employees. Tsuneishi is considering Indonesia, the Philippines and Myanmar for another shipyard, said Hitoshi Kono, chief of the company’s local operation.

Asia’s manufacturing powerhouses -- Japan, South Korea and China -- are among the fastest-aging countries in the world, while developing nations in Southeast Asia are among the youngest in the region. As factories, jobs and investment flow south to tap cheaper labor, growth in the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations is poised to accelerate, propelling the area’s currencies and fueling consumer and property booms, Bank of America Corp. says.

“The demographic dividend is over for Japan and Korea, and it will be over for China soon,” said Yoshimasa Maruyama, chief economist at Itochu Corp., Japan’s third-largest trading company. “It’s happening now in the Asean area, and it will continue for some time.”
AzariLoveIran

Kim Jong-un marries

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

9bZkp7q19f0

Atlantic | Growing Up Gangnam-Style: What the Seoul Neighborhood Was Really Like
The South Korea of yore had none of PSY's irony.
I grew up in Gangnam, the affluent Seoul neighborhood featured in South Korean rapper Psy's video (which has over 253 million hits as of this posting, more than the population of Indonesia. It has also entered the Guinness Book of World Records for most-liked YouTube video). In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I witnessed Seoul's transformation from a grim, dangerously crowded place where all designer garments were counterfeit into a glamorous and rich global mega-city where -- as Psy shows -- people are fabulously well-dressed, but they still have to hang out in parking garages.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Big fan of the video, big fan of Seoul. Probably nicer now than in the 60's.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Surely the 60s was the classic era of Seoul ?
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

200 Muslim rebels arrive to sign Philippine pact

http://news.yahoo.com/200-muslim-rebels ... 36012.html
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Worn down by decades of fighting and failed peace agreements, Muslim rebel leaders were euphoric but cautious Monday before they sign a preliminary peace pact with the Philippine government aimed at ending one of Asia's longest-running insurgencies.

The agreement is the first major step toward a final settlement that grants minority Muslims in the southern Philippines broad autonomy in exchange for ending the violence that has killed tens of thousands of people and crippled development. Many of the rebel leaders interviewed said a lot of work lies ahead in convincing Filipino Muslims to accept a new administrative region.

A product of 15 years of negotiations facilitated by neighboring Malaysia, which wants stability on its doorstep, the agreement sets in motion a roadmap to a final document that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and Philippine President Benigno Aquino III's government plan to clinch before his six-year terms ends in 2016.

The signing will be witnessed by Aquino, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and rebel chairman Al Haj Murad Ebrahim, who will set foot for the first time in Manila's Malacanang presidential palace, where officials prepared a red-carpet welcome

I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Hans Bulvai wrote:.

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Worn down by decades of fighting and failed peace agreements, Muslim rebel leaders were euphoric but cautious Monday before they sign a preliminary peace pact with the Philippine government aimed at ending one of Asia's longest-running insurgencies.

The agreement is the first major step toward a final settlement that grants minority Muslims in the southern Philippines broad autonomy in exchange for ending the violence that has killed tens of thousands of people and crippled development. Many of the rebel leaders interviewed said a lot of work lies ahead in convincing Filipino Muslims to accept a new administrative region.

A product of 15 years of negotiations facilitated by neighboring Malaysia, which wants stability on its doorstep, the agreement sets in motion a roadmap to a final document that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and Philippine President Benigno Aquino III's government plan to clinch before his six-year terms ends in 2016.

The signing will be witnessed by Aquino, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and rebel chairman Al Haj Murad Ebrahim, who will set foot for the first time in Manila's Malacanang presidential palace, where officials prepared a red-carpet welcome

Hans , am not sure whether Philippine or Indonesian or Thai and and and Muslims same Muslims as Turk or Egyptian or or

Those Christians in Africa have their own Witchdoctors and VooDoo ceremonies and and .. they no Italian for sure

Islam (should be) a mindset .. Philipine or Indonesian Muslims same mindset as you ? ?

hardly

meaning

Philippine catholic as meaningless as Philippine Muslim

I always laugh when I talk to my "Catholic" Chinese friends .. they more Buddhist mindset than Italiano

Religion, same as Real Estate, same as politics, is local

Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:
Hans Bulvai wrote:.

Hans , am not sure whether Philippine or Indonesian or Thai and and and Muslims same Muslims as Turk or Egyptian or or

Those Christians in Africa have their own Witchdoctors and VooDoo ceremonies and and .. they no Italian for sure

Islam (should be) a mindset .. Philipine or Indonesian Muslims same mindset as you ? ?

hardly

meaning

Philippine catholic as meaningless as Philippine Muslim

I always laugh when I talk to my "Catholic" Chinese friends .. they more Buddhist mindset than Italiano

Religion, same as Real Estate, same as politics, is local

Agreed.
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sparky wrote:Surely the 60s was the classic era of Seoul ?
Very good.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm
Pyongyang, November 29 (KCNA) -- Archaeologists of the History Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences have recently reconfirmed a lair of the unicorn rode by King Tongmyong, founder of the Koguryo Kingdom (B.C. 277-A.D. 668).

The lair is located 200 meters from the Yongmyong Temple in Moran Hill in Pyongyang City. A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair. The carved words are believed to date back to the period of Koryo Kingdom (918-1392).

Jo Hui Sung, director of the Institute, told KCNA:

"Korea's history books deal with the unicorn, considered to be ridden by King Tongmyong, and its lair.

The Sogyong (Pyongyang) chapter of the old book 'Koryo History' (geographical book), said: Ulmil Pavilion is on the top of Mt. Kumsu, with Yongmyong Temple, one of Pyongyang's eight scenic spots, beneath it. The temple served as a relief palace for King Tongmyong, in which there is the lair of his unicorn.

The old book 'Sinjungdonggukyojisungnam' (Revised Handbook of Korean Geography) complied in the 16th century wrote that there is a lair west of Pubyok Pavilion in Mt. Kumsu.

The discovery of the unicorn lair, associated with legend about King Tongmyong, proves that Pyongyang was a capital city of Ancient Korea as well as Koguryo Kingdom."
Yeah :lol:
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

PYONGYANG (The Borowitz Report)—North Korean leader Kim Jong-un surprised Korea-watchers today by abruptly cancelling his nation’s controversial rocket test and launching a fragrance instead.

The dictator’s signature fragrance, called “Number Un,” could be on store shelves in time for Christmas, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

The decision to launch a fragrance rather than a rocket “shows a kind of realism that has been rare in the Kim family,” said North Korea expert Dr. Hiroshi Kyosuke, of the University of Tokyo.

“I think Kim Jong-un most likely said to himself, ‘Given how badly my last rocket did, maybe I’ll just launch a fragrance,’ ” he said.

The official North Korean announcement offered this description of the new fragrance: “Number Un deliriously combines the sweet smells of North Korea’s native unicorns with the irresistible aroma of our Dear Leader himself. This holiday season, every kiss begins with Kim Jong-un.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... z2EDPETitB
Been busy doing stuff
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Well...

One thing I'm glad about North Korea's apparently successful launch: it reaffirms any sovereign state's right to acquire a space capability, and even its right to test missiles of all sorts. In a world where some countries seem to think they are entitled to regularly threaten the use of force against other countries, one must reinforce the right of any country to defend itself. Whether it is China, North Korea or Iran.
monster_gardener

Space Program Endorsement: even for nOrks in Space........

Endovelico wrote:Image

Well...

One thing I'm glad about North Korea's apparently successful launch: it reaffirms any sovereign state's right to acquire a space capability, and even its right to test missiles of all sorts. In a world where some countries seem to think they are entitled to regularly threaten the use of force against other countries, one must reinforce the right of any country to defend itself. Whether it is China, North Korea or Iran.
Thank You VERY MUCH for your EXCELLENT Post, Endovelico.

Well...
One thing I'm glad about North Korea's apparently successful launch: it reaffirms any sovereign state's right to acquire a space capability.
I Agree...Almost Absolutely......

Seconded.

Quite.

and even its right to test missiles of all sorts
Qualified agreement........

Best to test over your own territory or clear spaces of ocean especially if your junk is likely fall out of the sky right at launch........*

Don't have the flight path for this one but previous have gone over Japan IMVHO deliberately....... **
one must reinforce the right of any country to defend itself.
Again I agree.

Not wise to expect otherwise....

Which can happen if your Present Dunce is a Plant ;) ........ named Bush..... :twisted:
Whether it is China, North Korea or Iran.
Hopefully your omission of Israel............... and Uz........ is not a deliberate one........ ;) :roll:

And again for the record I endorse China & Iran as well as the nOrks pursuing a space program especially if its intention is to deflect meteors, get sustainable numbers of its population off planet or even just science for the sake of science........***

Commercial Development would be GREAT too.......

Imagine...... Solar Power Satellites.........

But Here in a Humorous vein is an episode of nOrks in Space.....

EnDS_Td0KIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDS_Td0KIg

Maybe not that far off the mark for previous nOrk launches....... ;)

*Will give the Norks that I like the way they test rockets better than the way Palis do..... ;) :twisted:

**Wonder why they don't try a reverse flight path........ Over China....... And Russia....... ;) :twisted:

***In Particular I have encouraged Azari/Iran/Persia to Pursue an Orion Nuclear Rocket Space Program to those ends........ :shock: 8-)
Endovelico

Re: Space Program Endorsement: even for nOrks in Space......

Post by Endovelico »

monster_gardener wrote: Hopefully your omission of Israel............... and Uz........ is not a deliberate one........ ;) :roll:
You bet it was!... Those are the countries doing the threatening... :evil:
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

For a closer look...

xvFnYbJC_fo
monster_gardener

Space Rocks & Gamma Bursts-Threats against Nations & Mankind

Endovelico wrote:
monster_gardener wrote: Hopefully your omission of Israel............... and Uz........ is not a deliberate one........ ;) :roll:
You bet it was!... Those are the countries doing the threatening... :evil:
Thank You Very Much for your post, Endo.

Going to try to be brief so as to not take up too much Space ;) with off topic..........

FWIW IMVHO those countries touted in your post, China, Iran & North Korea, also threaten other countries..........

My contention is that ALL countries have a right to self defense.........

And that Space Exploration with sustainable Colonization is a good for Chaos Monkey Mankind as whole...... :D

Even for nOrks in Space ;) :lol: :shock:

As otherwise Mean Green Mother Nature is likely to destroy us :( with a space rock as she did the dinosaurs...

Or by other method.......

Gamma Burst being just one........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_burst

Super Volcanoes could be another.......

And perhaps almost was........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory