Asia

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Chinese similar to Americans

Post by monster_gardener »

AzariLoveIran wrote:.

The joint United States, Japanese and European Union complaint at the World Trade Organization over Beijing's "monopoly" on rare earths is political theater, creating fear that China will one day unscrupulously withhold elements critical for defense technologies, hybrid cars and smartphones. Washington neglected mention of the abundance of "rare" earths - and that China will likely become a net importer by 2015.

Look, folks

west realized can not compete with China on any platform

Chinese super smart, 1.6 billion people, very hard worker and and and

so

it is not going to work

west headed for confrontation with China

for many many reason

meaning

this rare earth complain , same rubbish as Iranian nuclear weapon BullShit

West looking for a fight with China (and Russia and Iran) .. on phony excuses

no matter what

things going to clash

west does not want to give up on those FreeBees .. free resources , Africa fleeced, South America fleeced, ME fleeced and and and

things not gono work

west knows this

China knows this

Putin knows this

Ahmadinejat knows this

not gono work

Thank you Very Much for your post, Azari.

west realized can not compete with China on any platform
We can compete where it is important if we put our minds to it and not be hide bound about "free market principles" in areas of national security.
IMVHO just need to develop strategic reserve like with oil.......... Let China pollute itself extracting rare earths cheaply.......... Save our rare earths for later and extract with environmental safeguards then......... Maybe if lucky extract in Space....... :D :D :D :D
Chinese super smart, 1.6 billion people, very hard worker and and and
Chinese smart but not super smart.........A lot like uz Americans........ Gamblers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially 19th and early 20th Century Americans.....Right now China about as popular with other Asians as United Fruit :wink: oops I mean United States often was with Latin America in that period :|

That stunt about holding out rare earths on Japan reminds me of US pre WW2 with Japan but with much less justification..... Japan peaceful right now.....
Best not to give reason to change...... Japanese big believer in just in time............ Also love robots even more than Americans do............ :shock: ****

Plus that stupid stuff about claiming all of ocean in area..... Makes China seem like bully..... Not smart....... Makes other Asians like US better because we/uz far away and NOT going to eat them ;) :shock: as well as lunch :| Tibet......... Maybe Afghanistan soon........

Very Wise Man Ho Chi Minh say he rather smell French/American dung for a few years than Chinese Deng :wink: oops I mean dung for 1000 years/forever......... Ho stop French, Ho stop America, Ho/his heroic disciples even stop Chinese Dragon when Dragon mad at Viets for bruising head :lol: of Chinese pet Cambodian snake Pol Pot :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: ........... Poisonous Pol Pot snake maybe worse than Hitler for REAL ;) ;) ;) ...... America shamefully cheer Dragon that time but Viets forgive and friendly with Americans now but very skeptical about Chinese........ America not coming back unless Viet ask....... China always there on border....... China also have a lot of men to waste in wars........ China Needs Women! :shock: :lol: :( or Mars :twisted: use men maybe...***

Even China's Junk Yard Pit Pekinese dog ;) :twisted: :evil: the Norkers not like China....... Abort or kill half Chinese/half Korean babies :o :evil: when China send back desperate North Korean women who sneak across border and marry old Chinese farmers* :shock: but then get caught and sent back pregnant :evil: :( :( :(

Also like 19thCent Americans, AIUI China not worry much about poisoning environment.........

Maybe Iran better cut deal with West to save its 13th province....... before it become TrashCanistan for real :twisted: ......... Chinese copper mine...

BTW I like Chinese........ Culture .... Art....... Judge Dee**........ Guan Yin........... Food..... Friends..... Family members :) .... even one of pet dogs :lol: but nice half Pekinese not like Norkers :evil: ...... mongrel like us/uz..... US is Mongrels R'US :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like to see Chinese work more on Space Colonization........ Maybe get US/uz space butts in gear...........

*Better than being in Norker Hell of Hungry Ghosts and Zombies.......... :o :shock:

**A little too tough sometimes........ :(

*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Needs_Women

**** Maybe Japan solve China's need for women with Fembots :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:...... instead of Warbots... :twisted:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Ibrahim

Re: Asia

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:That doesn't sound too likely.
Agreed. However, such rumours are symptomatic in a society that tries to control info.

Thinking more on it, I'm being hasty of reflexively saying that it's unlikely just because of what a major deal it would be for China and the entire world. Imagine if the CIA and FBI started shooting it out in the DC area over the 2000 election.

Still, with no further information it seems like it was a Chinese Internet rumor.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Agreed. However, such rumours are symptomatic in a society that tries to control info.
Thinking more on it, I'm being hasty of reflexively saying that it's unlikely just because of what a major deal it would be for China and the entire world.
Imagine if the CIA and FBI started shooting it out in the DC area over the 2000 election.

Still, with no further information it seems like it was a Chinese Internet rumor.
Economist | Interpreting a purge: Where Bo goes
WHEN he lost his job as the chief of the Communist Party for the south-western region of Chongqing on March 15th, Bo Xilai became the third member of the ruling Politburo to suffer such ignominy since the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. But he is the first to enjoy open support among members of the public even after his dismissal. The party, which normally tries to suppress any expression of sympathy for purged leaders, is either failing this time, or else it is not trying very hard. It could well be a sign that Chinese leaders themselves are divided over how to handle Mr Bo’s case and the public reaction to it.

Uniquely among Chinese politicians in the post-Tiananmen period, Mr Bo had acquired a vocal and genuinely admiring fan club. Silencing this group will not be easy. It happens to include people whom party traditionalists regard as hailing from the most venerable sectors of the population: workers laid off from state-owned factories, retired cadres, and intellectuals who remain doggedly committed to old-fashioned communist ideals. Before Mr Bo was sacked, articles praising him and his “Chongqing model” were a staple of websites controlled by die-hard Maoists in China. These enjoy a degree of protection from official wrath, thanks to their staunch defence of party rule and their careful avoidance of any criticism of the president, Hu Jintao. Some officials working in the most conservative parts of the bureaucracy, such as the party’s powerful Publicity Department, are probably sympathetic with the websites’ views.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener

Earthquake Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis

Earthquake Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis per Fox

~35 minutes ago...........

Col. Sun, Carbizene, Noddy, Col. Sun, possibly Marcus......... Be safe

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6310014552

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 7l0.frgbld.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Thinking more on it, I'm being hasty of reflexively saying that it's unlikely just because of what a major deal it would be for China and the entire world.
Imagine if the CIA and FBI started shooting it out in the DC area over the 2000 election.

Economist | Interpreting a purge: Where Bo goes
WHEN he lost his job as the chief of the Communist Party for the south-western region of Chongqing on March 15th, Bo Xilai became the third member of the ruling Politburo to suffer such ignominy since the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. But he is the first to enjoy open support among members of the public even after his dismissal. The party, which normally tries to suppress any expression of sympathy for purged leaders, is either failing this time, or else it is not trying very hard. It could well be a sign that Chinese leaders themselves are divided over how to handle Mr Bo’s case and the public reaction to it.

Uniquely among Chinese politicians in the post-Tiananmen period, Mr Bo had acquired a vocal and genuinely admiring fan club. Silencing this group will not be easy. It happens to include people whom party traditionalists regard as hailing from the most venerable sectors of the population: workers laid off from state-owned factories, retired cadres, and intellectuals who remain doggedly committed to old-fashioned communist ideals. Before Mr Bo was sacked, articles praising him and his “Chongqing model” were a staple of websites controlled by die-hard Maoists in China. These enjoy a degree of protection from official wrath, thanks to their staunch defence of party rule and their careful avoidance of any criticism of the president, Hu Jintao. Some officials working in the most conservative parts of the bureaucracy, such as the party’s powerful Publicity Department, are probably sympathetic with the websites’ views.
Reuters | China Communist Party scandal triggered by British man's death
The scandal shaking China's ruling Communist Party just as it readies for leadership change was triggered by claims that the wife of one ambitious candidate was involved in the death of a British businessman, said a source with close ties to key individuals involved.

The comments, corroborated by two other sources who also spoke on condition of anonymity, are the first direct account of events which eventually led to this month's downfall of Chongqing mega-city chief Bo Xilai who had very publicly bid for a place in the Party's inner circle later this year.

The source, citing accounts coming from an unfinished central investigation, said it was unclear how much truth there was to the claim by Bo's former police chief, Wang Lijun, but he told Reuters he had "no doubt" that Wang had raised it with Bo.

Wang told Bo in late January that he believed Bo's wife, Gu Kailai, was involved in the death of British businessman Neil Heywood in the southwest Chinese city in mid-November, the source said.

The account helps explain the apparent rupture between the city chief and Wang, who led Bo's widely applauded crackdown on crime in China's most populous metropolis.

In early February, Wang briefly sought refuge in the U.S. consulate in Chengdu, several hours' drive from Chongqing, which suddenly made the growing scandal public.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | Flying too close to the Sun?
Hong Kong tycoons under arrest

It’s a long way down from the 102nd floor of the International Commerce Centre in Hong Kong, where Analects once enjoyed a really high tea (see picture). But the dizziness you feel looking out of the window cannot compare with the vertiginous sensation the building’s owners, Sun Hung Kai Properties, must now be feeling. Their co-chairmen, Thomas Kwok Ping-kwong and Raymond Kwok Ping-luen were arrested on March 29th by Hong Kong’s Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) under the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance. So too was a former head of Hong Kong’s civil service, Rafael Hui. The arrests are widely seen as among the most sensational in the commission’s 38-year history.

The ICAC is, as usual, saying extremely little about the case, which involves one of Hong Kong’s wealthiest families. Sun Hung Kai’s buildings include the three tallest in Hong Kong. But the investigation will generate enormous media interest. The Kwok family has long been a topic of much gossip in the territory because of feuding among its members. In addition there have been growing concerns in Hong Kong about the cosiness of relations between its leaders and business tycoons. Last month the ICAC launched an investigation into the behaviour of Hong Kong’s chief executive, Donald Tsang, because of hospitality he had received from wealthy businesspeople. This is the first action ever taken by the ICAC involving someone of his paramount rank. Mr Tsang denied breaking rules but apologised for failing to live up to public expectations.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

There's a real storm brewing between the CCP and the Hong Kong elite. The recent survey showing that around half of people in Hong Kong stated they consider themselves Hong Kongers first and Chinese second did not impress the Party heads.

Since Hong Kong is choked with shady or criminal financial practices (like any banking center) the recent spate of arrests and general pressure could easily be the CCP turning up the heat.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Some potentially promising news out of Burma [Myanmar]. . .

AFP | Suu Kyi's party sweeps landmark Myanmar polls
YANGON — Democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi's party won almost all the seats it contested in Myanmar elections, becoming the main opposition force in the national parliament, official results showed Tuesday.

The veteran dissident's National League for Democracy stormed to victory in 43 of the 44 constituencies where it fielded candidates in Sunday's polls, according to an election commission announcement on state television.

The landslide win in the by-elections gave Suu Kyi her first-ever seat in parliament, although it will not threaten the comfortable majority of the military-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP).

The Nobel laureate said in her victory speech on Monday that she hoped the vote would mark a "new era" for the nation after decades of repressive junta rule, but appealed for political unity and urged her supporters not to gloat.

The NLD won 37 seats in the 440-seat lower house, along with four in the upper house and two in the regional chambers, the results showed.
One quarter of the seats are reserved for unelected military officials.

The NLD lost one seat in eastern Shan state to the Shan Nationalities Democratic Party, which has strong support among ethnic minorities.

The USDP took just one seat, in a constituency in northwest Sagaing where the NLD candidate was disqualified from standing.

Suu Kyi's election to political office marks the latest sweeping change in the country formerly known as Burma after decades of outright military rule ended last year.

Myanmar's quasi-civilian government has surprised even its critics over the past year with a string of reforms such as releasing hundreds of political prisoners and welcoming the opposition back into mainstream politics.

President Thein Sein hailed the polls as a success.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Douglas John MacIntyre, Emerging from Behind the U.S. Shield

Japan’s Strategy of Dynamic Deterrence and Defense Forces

HTML: http://www.ndu.edu/press/japans-strateg ... rence.html
PDF: http://www.ndu.edu/press/lib/pdf/jfq-65 ... Intyre.pdf
Abstract

The global recession, domestic stagnation, internal political stresses, and the emergence of China have intensified longstanding challenges to the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States and Japan. Tokyo has been transforming its instruments of national power accordingly, and the most comprehensive change was the new national security strategy announced in December 2010, establishing a defense force whose use of multifunctional and flexible capabilities enable dynamic deterrence. U.S. Pacific Command can use the evolution of Japan’s security strategy to enhance its own influence as well as better serve regional security needs. Tokyo’s determination to pursue its own strategic direction is reflected in its annual budget, which allots over 1 percent of GDP to acquisitions programs and capability development, and is in fact a positive development for Asia-Pacific stability.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Andrés H. Cáceres-Solari, Between Democracy and Chaos: Indonesia at a Crossroads

HTML: http://www.ndu.edu/press/indonesia-at-a-crossroads.html
PDF: http://www.ndu.edu/press/lib/pdf/jfq-65 ... Solari.pdf
Abstract

Indonesia seems unable to gain control over an ongoing jihad. The effort is complicated by plentiful ungoverned spaces, pockets of isolated and dissatisfied citizens, and a history of religious strife, gang warfare, and ethnic animosity. Washington can help. U.S. forces already engage Indonesia’s forces and communities through a variety of exercises and local projects. More assertive planning and thinking could enhance such engagement and solidify the bilateral relationship. The interagency, and especially the Department of Justice, could foster civilian-military interaction and training through democratic policing. Additionally, community policing could be taught, whereby unarmed civilians would be empowered to keep order in their communities with the help of the national police, strengthening government-community relations. Coordinated bilateral and interdepartmental efforts could save the archipelago from returning to its traditional communal warfare. The emphasis of U.S. training should discourage policing and soldiering along ethnic and religious lines and promote human rights.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:Some potentially promising news out of Burma [Myanmar]. . .

AFP | Suu Kyi's party sweeps landmark Myanmar polls
YANGON — Democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi's party won almost all the seats it contested in Myanmar elections, becoming the main opposition force in the national parliament, official results showed Tuesday.

The veteran dissident's National League for Democracy stormed to victory in 43 of the 44 constituencies where it fielded candidates in Sunday's polls, according to an election commission announcement on state television.

The landslide win in the by-elections gave Suu Kyi her first-ever seat in parliament, although it will not threaten the comfortable majority of the military-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP).

The Nobel laureate said in her victory speech on Monday that she hoped the vote would mark a "new era" for the nation after decades of repressive junta rule, but appealed for political unity and urged her supporters not to gloat.

The NLD won 37 seats in the 440-seat lower house, along with four in the upper house and two in the regional chambers, the results showed.
One quarter of the seats are reserved for unelected military officials.

The NLD lost one seat in eastern Shan state to the Shan Nationalities Democratic Party, which has strong support among ethnic minorities.

The USDP took just one seat, in a constituency in northwest Sagaing where the NLD candidate was disqualified from standing.

Suu Kyi's election to political office marks the latest sweeping change in the country formerly known as Burma after decades of outright military rule ended last year.

Myanmar's quasi-civilian government has surprised even its critics over the past year with a string of reforms such as releasing hundreds of political prisoners and welcoming the opposition back into mainstream politics.

President Thein Sein hailed the polls as a success.
First good news out of Burma in my lifetime. It's hard to judge how optimistic to be since Burma/Myanmar has been in a horrible condition for so long, but I've decided I'm going to get excited about this and hope good things happen.

I used to like Orwell quite a bit until I read Burmese Days. Never got the bad taste out of my mouth, despite his other excellent work. Not a country that was given much of a head start into the 20th century.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

[Credit: KAL - Economist]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BBC | North Korea moves rocket into place for launch
North Korea has moved into place a long-range rocket for a controversial launch later this month - amid reports it is also planning a nuclear test.
Carbizene

The North Korea thread

Post by Carbizene »

North Korean missile control center..also good for LANS though nothing that great, apparently they are fuelling up a missile at the moment. I do like how Australia is the focus on the big screen, a message perhaps.

North Korea is a proxy for China, i think everyone can agree on that, so as the UZ stocks up its proxy Australia with Nuclear armaments seems fair to expect China to reciprocate via its proxy.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Already posted in the Asia thread.

Until N Korea actually either starts a shooting war or reunifies with S Korea, I don't think that they rate a separate thread. :wink:
Zack Morris

Re: The North Korea thread

Post by Zack Morris »

Carbizene wrote:Image

Is that MATLAB on the computer monitor nearest to the camera? :lol:
monster_gardener

MATLAB Pirates and Counterfeiters.........

Zack Morris wrote:

Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack Morris.

What do you want to bet that it's pirated?.......... Or bought with counterfeit money?..........

Maybe you should contact MATLAB or one of those software protection agencies that offer rewards for whistleblowers.....
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/i ... 4T20120411
Defiant North Korea begins injecting fuel into rocket
PYONGYANG (Reuters) - Impoverished North Korea rejected international protests over its planned long-range rocket launch and said on Wednesday that it was injecting fuel "as we speak", meaning it could blast off as early as Thursday.

North Korea has figured out this game already. Everybody will complain, nobody will do anything. The launch will happen.
Azrael

Re: The North Korea thread

Post by Azrael »

Zack Morris wrote:

Either that or he's changing his account settings on the Spengler forum.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Ibrahim wrote:http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/i ... 4T20120411
Defiant North Korea begins injecting fuel into rocket
PYONGYANG (Reuters) - Impoverished North Korea rejected international protests over its planned long-range rocket launch and said on Wednesday that it was injecting fuel "as we speak", meaning it could blast off as early as Thursday.

North Korea has figured out this game already. Everybody will complain, nobody will do anything. The launch will happen.
As usual. They've been playing this game for many years already.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:Already posted in the Asia thread.

Until N Korea actually either starts a shooting war or reunifies with S Korea, I don't think that they rate a separate thread. :wink:
And if Chinese "volunteers" do their fighting for them, perhaps not even then. :wink:
cultivate a white rose
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Azrael wrote:

And if Chinese "volunteers" do their fighting for them, perhaps not even then. :wink:
That was a big surprise to the allied forces in the 50's, but since then I think China has given North Korea their version of the talk. "You start another war, you're on your own."
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Ibrahim wrote:
Azrael wrote:

That was a big surprise to the allied forces in the 50's, but since then I think China has given North Korea their version of the talk. "You start another war, you're on your own."
I agree with you that China has probably given them the talk; but, who knows, we could end up getting surprised again.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bloomberg | Indonesia Chases China As Middle-Class Consumption Soars
From 1999 through the end of 2011, Indonesia’s annual growth surged from zero to 6.5 percent, swelling the number of middle-class consumers by 50 million to more than 130 million, according to the World Bank.
During the same period, the average wealth per adult jumped fivefold to more than $12,000, Credit Suisse Group AG reported in October.

While some other fast-developing countries such as China struggle to switch from an export-led to a consumption-based growth model, Indonesia is ahead of the game: Consumer spending accounted for 55 percent of gross domestic product in 2011; the comparable figure for China in 2010 was 35 percent.
Largest Gold Mine
On May 1, the Jakarta index was trading at 14.3 times estimated earnings compared with an emerging-markets average of 10.6.
“In the longer term, Indonesia is clearly highly favorable,” Davy says. “But from the shorter-term perspective, it is one of the more expensive emerging markets.”

Indonesia is the world’s No. 1 exporter of power-station coal, tin and the palm oil that greases one-third of the world’s frying pans and woks.
It’s also home to the largest gold mine and the single biggest recoverable copper reserve and is the world’s second- biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas.

Foreign direct investment -- the biggest source being neighboring Singapore -- jumped 20 percent last year to a record $19.3 billion.
In the space of five weeks in December and January, both Fitch Ratings and Moody’s Investors Service raised Indonesia’s debt to investment grade.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

It's impressive how often Indonesia is overlooked.