Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Speaking of the misperception of relative risk and the histrionics that often is associated with such irrational fears:

MIT Tech Review | Irrational Fears - We should think sensibly about nuclear energy’s risks.

A bit of an irony that the Japanese engineers recommended situating the backup generators on high ground as being more appropriate for the local Japan situation versus the original American design, but the Japanese govt bureaucrats vetoed their proposal.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:Speaking of the misperception of relative risk and the histrionics that often is associated with such irrational fears:

MIT Tech Review | Irrational Fears - We should think sensibly about nuclear energy’s risks.

A bit of an irony that the Japanese engineers recommended situating the backup generators on high ground as being more appropriate for the local Japan situation versus the original American design, but the Japanese govt bureaucrats vetoed their proposal.

Why did "Japanese govt bureaucrats vetoed their proposal" ? ? building the emergency backup generators on high ground would not cost much within a nuclear power plant cost.

But, I think nuclear power plants are dangerous, specially for Japan

I think the future is LNG burning gas turbine electric power plants .. LNG, GAS, now everywhere to be found

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Speaking of the misperception of relative risk and the histrionics that often is associated with such irrational fears:

Why did "Japanese govt bureaucrats vetoed their proposal" ? ? building the emergency backup generators on high ground would not cost much within a nuclear power plant cost.

Because it would have meant the use of original thinking and deviating from the American design.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:But, I think nuclear power plants are dangerous, specially for Japan

I think the future is LNG burning gas turbine electric power plants .. LNG, GAS, now everywhere to be found

It's an opinion, a belief, the "I think" is not the correct lead in, whereas "I believe" is.

Fukushima Daiichi took a direct hit from one of the largest tsunamis in recorded history and despite the big mess there was no loss of life.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

CS I came across this AD on YouTube

XkmVQXN9T78
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:CS I came across this AD on YouTube

XkmVQXN9T78
Thank you.

Poly Glu is a natural amino acid product, polyglutamic acid, produced by a specific type of soybean fermentation to produce natto, which manages to be sticky and slippery at the same time. Natto is much loved in eastern Japan, the Kanto region of Tokyo, and much reviled in western Japan, the Kansai region of Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe. I don't mind it, but won't go out of my way to seek it out.

A very interesting application.
Heracleum Persicum

Donald Trump open to Japan and South Korea having nuclear weapons

“Would I rather have North Korea have them [nuclear weapons] with Japan sitting there having them also? You may very well be better off if that’s the case,” Mr Trump said, before adding that “if Japan had that nuclear threat, I’m not sure that would be a bad thing for us”.

Heracleum Persicum

Japan
Prison provides free board and healthcare for hard-up pensioners

Even with a frugal diet and dirt-cheap accommodation, a single Japanese retiree with minimal savings has living costs more than 25 per cent higher than the meagre basic state pension of Y780,000 ($6,900) a year . .

“The social situation in Japan has forced the elderly into the need to commit crime,” he says.

“The ratio of people who receive public assistance is highest since the end of the war. About 40 per cent of the elderly live alone. It’s a vicious circle. They leave prison, they don’t have money or family so they turn immediately to crime.”

Hmmmmm .. what happened ? ? ? Japan was so prosperous

noddy

Post by noddy »

smartphones happened, korea and china happened.

see: post industrial problems, unsolved.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:.

Why did SONY, SANYO, AKAI, Toshiba and all the others missed the Smart phone train ? ?

Why Samsung ? why Huawei (I have one, Nexus) ?

Why did Japan missed all what was happening last 25 yrs ? ? ?

That is the question

Why ?

noddy

Post by noddy »

Why did SONY, SANYO, AKAI, Toshiba and all the others missed the Smart phone train ? ?

That is the question

Why ?

easy, because when you build beautiful dedicated devices for things you scoff at the cheap generic device that claims to do it all badly.

at first people still bought cameras, videos, music players, movie players,printers,scanners, console setc etc and alll those japanese companies made some of the best versions of them.

then one day, the cheap generic device did it all, quite nicely and people stopped buying all the dedicated devices, its devastated my local shopping centre as much as it has japan!

also, once again, we only need 2 or 3 big makers of these things - apple, samsung, huweii seem to be those 3, then a few smaller ones nipping at the heels.

modern globalised world is crushing industry back to most efficient oligarchies , dont go looking for jobs there.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:

That is the question

Why ?

easy, because when you build beautiful dedicated devices for things you scoff at the cheap generic device that claims to do it all badly.

at first people still bought cameras, videos, music players, movie players,printers,scanners, console setc etc and alll those japanese companies made some of the best versions of them.

then one day, the cheap generic device did it all, quite nicely and people stopped buying all the dedicated devices, its devastated my local shopping centre as much as it has japan!

also, once again, we only need 2 or 3 big makers of these things - apple, samsung, huweii seem to be those 3, then a few smaller ones nipping at the heels.

modern globalised world is crushing industry back to most efficient oligarchies , dont go looking for jobs there.

When Japan started making Fax machines and Video cameras and VHS machines .. nobody else did

But

sleeping on that head start is what lead to present Japanese disaster.

They should have spent billions in R&D to come with new stuff and technology .. why should Nokia or Ericson be # 1 in phones ? Sony was too late, even in Laptops .. and the smart phone

Reason was, Japan slept at the wheel.

Same thing happened to Microsoft .. MS had 1000s of engineers and billions of dollars .. but Browser had to come from Netscape and Amazon and eBay and VOIP and facetime and Facebook etc etc

What were doing the MS engineers ? ? not a single new stuff came from them.

That is what happened to Japan.

noddy

Post by noddy »

japan is still leading the field in many many things, from imaging through to medical equipment and robotics, you are not correct.

the problem is none of it employs that many people, automated factories have taken over and highly specialized fields require the best of the best, they dont require billions of boring and average.

microsoft are a different story - held back by what makes them successful - they couldnt break the comfy desktop/office model because most of their money came from offices and governments, this also means they couldnt play properly in the new touchscreen world, i can find an interesting article by microsofts surface division if you want, its full of hatred for the main companies focus on office and the problems that causes.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Japan is still leading the field in many many things, from imaging through to medical equipment and robotics, you are not correct.

the problem is none of it employs that many people, automated factories have taken over and highly specialized fields require the best of the best, they don't require billions of boring and average.

Automation and Robotics helps Japan cope with greying population and shrinking labour pools .. nothing to do with spending in innovation, R&D etc .

Looking into post war Japan, one can not find any innovation that was Japan's idea .. yes, they made Fax machines become cheap so consumer could own one, but Fax machine was invented B4 WW2 in west, valid pretty much for all, Japan no good in coming with new stuff but best to take an old idea and make it a commercial success.

microsoft are a different story - held back by what makes them successful - they couldn't break the comfy desktop/office model because most of their money came from offices and governments, this also means they couldn't play properly in the new touchscreen world, i can find an interesting article by microsofts surface division if you want, its full of hatred for the main companies focus on office and the problems that causes.

MS had a steady revenue from OS and office etc .. that made MS lazy .. and they did miss all the new things

DOS/OS was the course

I changed to Apple 2 yrs ago and very happy about it

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Automation and Robotics helps Japan cope with greying population and shrinking labour pools .. nothing to do with spending in innovation, R&D etc .

Looking into post war Japan, one can not find any innovation that was Japan's idea .. yes, they made Fax machines become cheap so consumer could own one, but Fax machine was invented B4 WW2 in west, valid pretty much for all, Japan no good in coming with new stuff but best to take an old idea and make it a commercial success.
yeh, nothing innovative in automation and robotics, nor high end medical equipment, nor imaging technologies :roll:

thats cliche from the 60's, back when japan first started copying western stuff, its massively out of date.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:Automation and Robotics helps Japan cope with greying population and shrinking labour pools .. nothing to do with spending in innovation, R&D etc .

yeh, nothing innovative in automation and robotics, nor high end medical equipment, nor imaging technologies :roll:

Idea is "robots" (was not Japan idea, but US or German) .. improving (innovation into) is logic development.

Those Japanese Medical equipment were invented by Germans, Siemens .. the idea of all the sorts of "Scans" came from Germany.

New ideas for product is something else .. like coming up with the idea of "scan".

Not aware of anything Japan came with the idea of .. maybe "Walkman".

noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:

Idea is "robots" (was not Japan idea, but US or German) .. improving (innovation into) is logic development.

Those Japanese Medical equipment were invented by Germans, Siemens .. the idea of all the sorts of "Scans" came from Germany.

New ideas for product is something else .. like coming up with the idea of "scan".
If ignorance is bliss, you've already attained nirvana.

X-rays were discovered by Roentgen in Germany, however,
CT scans were developed first in the US and the UK.
MRI scans were developed in the US and the UK.

The current state-of-the-art CT scanner is the Toshiba Aquilon One which can scan the entire heart faster than you can blink.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Not aware of anything Japan came with the idea of .. maybe "Walkman".

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.
Heracleum Persicum

3yaXt-ApjOg
Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Didn't know you were so into chicks with sticks.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:

That is the question

Why ?

You're spot on.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:Didn't know you were so into chicks with sticks.

A week ago, was in Chinese restaurant Kirin in Vancouver.

There was a group of Japanese girls, some sort of tour.

Well, quite a few pretty ones .. have to admit, Japanese girls have that special "charm" Chinese girls don't.

Is said, they better wife than Chinese.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, quite a few pretty ones .. have to admit, Japanese girls have that special "charm" Chinese girls don't.
A matter of personal preference.

However, J-girls are experts at appearances, public behaviour, and relationship mental judo.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Is said, they better wife than Chinese.
Hard to stereotype millions of J-girls and billions of C-girls.

Lots of stories out there of Western guys marrying what they perceived to be a demure loving J-girl
only to find out that she can turn into a crazy, even dangerous, psychochick if she does not get her way
in all matters after marriage :wink:

In other words, it depends greatly on the individual character and personality of both parties.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

A matter of personal preference.

However, J-girls are experts at appearances, public behaviour, and relationship mental judo.

True .. in 1970's I visited often Tokyo, Kobe, Osaka, few times a yr

In Tokyo, walking on the street, could see (from distance) very beautiful girls coming .. but, once they passing you, I saw they not beautiful .. the girls were expert in makeup .. from distance they look beautiful

That most of the time true also with Chinese girls.

But, beauty is different for Chinese (or maybe for Japanese) .. Chinese friend, describing a beautiful girl, always say "she has soft ski like a baby", but, for caucasian, softness of skin non issue, other things matter.
Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Is said, they better wife than Chinese.
Hard to stereotype millions of J-girls and billions of C-girls.

Lots of stories out there of Western guys marrying what they perceived to be a demure loving J-girl
only to find out that she can turn into a crazy, even dangerous, psychochick if she does not get her way
in all matters after marriage :wink:

In other words, it depends greatly on the individual character and personality of both parties.

True, know a few Iranians in Vancouver who married C-girls .. Now, some in heaven, some in hell. :lol:

Chinese girls can be very nasty (most are) .. specially, the mainland Chinese

Heracleum Persicum

Japan's PM, "Abe Shinzo" to visit Iran in August

First visit by a Japanese premier to Iran since 1978.

America the one who (soon) could be in (Iran) "Isolation".

Heracleum Persicum

Canada hounded Japanese even after WWII

Between May and December of 1946, five American transport ships set sail from Vancouver harbor carrying the deportees to Occupied Japan. Over half were Canadian citizens born in Canada, and of this group, one-third were dependent children under the age of 16. Could it really be said they were re-patriating if they were going to a country they had never set foot in before? Some spoke good Japanese, others barely a word. Almost all would have endured starvation conditions and painful discrimination as outsiders.