Japan

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Japan

Post by monster_gardener »

Thread for posts about Japan specifically....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Earthquake in Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis

Post by monster_gardener »

Earthquake Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis per Fox

~35 minutes ago...........

Col. Sun, Carbizene, Noddy, Col. Sun, possibly Marcus......... Be safe

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6310014552

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 7l0.frgbld.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Okay, we can try distinct Japan, France, etc threads. If volume is too low, then Japan will be merged back with the Asia thread, France with Europe, etc.

AFP | Japan court orders Google to halt auto-complete
A Japanese court has ordered search giant Google to suspend its auto-complete function because it breaches one man's privacy, his lawyer said.

Tokyo District Court approved a petition by the man, who claimed typing his name into the search engine generated a suggestion linking him to crimes he did not commit, lawyer Hiroyuki Tomita told media Sunday.

If a user accepts the search suggestion, thousands of results are produced that imply criminality of which the man is not guilty, Tomita said.

The lawyer added that since these postings began appearing on the Internet over the last few years, his client has had difficulty finding work, with his online reputation always in question.
Auto-complete is a function provided by many search engines that predicts what a user may be looking for. It is often based on what previous users have searched for when they typed the same initial letters of a word.

The details of this case are not known, but it is possible that the plaintiff shares a name with someone who is legitimately associated with a crime.

Tomita said the auto-complete function was problematic because it guides users to sites that may contain false or misleading information.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Earthquake in Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener wrote:Earthquake Chile 7.2 possible Tsunamis per Fox

~35 minutes ago...........

Col. Sun, Carbizene, Noddy, Col. Sun, possibly Marcus......... Be safe

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6310014552

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 7l0.frgbld.
Thanks for your concern. Good to read of minimal damage in Chile despite a fairly strong earthquake.

No tsunami warming issued.

A comparison:

Tohoku, Japan earthquake / Talca, Chile earthquake = 10^9.0 / 10^7.2 = 10^1.8 = 63
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

TOKYO—Sharp Corp.'s decision to sell nearly a 10% stake to Taiwan's Hon Hai Group underscores just how far Japan's once-dominant electronic industry has fallen.

WSJ

Sharp will get a lifeline of about $800 million in cash to help shore up its operations that make liquid-crystal display panels for televisions—a core business largely responsible for the multibillion-dollar losses Sharp expects to post this fiscal year.

In exchange, Hon Hai will become Sharp's largest shareholder and gain technical expertise to complement its business as the world's largest electronic contract manufacturer.

Japan in decline

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

AzariLoveIran wrote:.

TOKYO—Sharp Corp.'s decision to sell nearly a 10% stake to Taiwan's Hon Hai Group underscores just how far Japan's once-dominant electronic industry has fallen.

WSJ

Sharp will get a lifeline of about $800 million in cash to help shore up its operations that make liquid-crystal display panels for televisions—a core business largely responsible for the multibillion-dollar losses Sharp expects to post this fiscal year.

In exchange, Hon Hai will become Sharp's largest shareholder and gain technical expertise to complement its business as the world's largest electronic contract manufacturer.

Japan in decline

More like Japan in Sharp decline.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:

WSJ

Japan in decline

More like Japan in Sharp decline.
:lol:
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

It seems like consumer electronics is no longer a highly profitable industry. Other than Apple, who is making a killing in consumer electronics?
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ

Japan in decline

I'm sorry Azari, but you going to have to take a number and stand in line with the rest of the pundits predicting the imminent demise of Japan.

Oh, and the line is some 20 years long . . .

Japanese electronics companies should exit non-profitable consumer electronics markets.
The R&D required to stay leading-edge innovative is very expensive, yet the price of the goods falls rapidly - rapid obsolescence.

Companies such as Canon and Fuji Film are instead investing in sectors such as healthcare, in general, and medical imaging, in particular.

Sony will probably do the same.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:.

WSJ

Japan in decline

I'm sorry Azari, but you going to have to take a number and stand in line with the rest of the pundits predicting the imminent demise of Japan.

Japanese electronics companies should exit non-profitable consumer electronics markets.
The R&D required to stay leading-edge innovative is very expensive, yet the price of the goods falls rapidly - rapid obsolescence.

Companies such as Canon and Fuji Film are instead investing in sectors such as healthcare, in general, and medical imaging, in particular.

Which company is the biggest in the world, not only by market capitalization, not only by growth, not only by profitability, not only by innovation and and and ? ?

Apple .. 573 Billion market cap .. and .. not yet counting the China market for Apple .. if China opens to APPLE , market cap could go to Trillion $

what does APPLE do

consumer electronics

Canon and Fuji Film .. healthcare .. medical imaging ? ? ?

no money in that .. that is making money the hard way, nickle & dime .. and .. world is cutting now on healthcare .. healthcare cost broke the back of the camel .. no more money for that

come on, colonel , come on

you gotto invent something

otherwise reinventing what Siemens doing since 100 yrs will not bring much

noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh canon and sony are nobodies in the world of consumer electronics. blink.
ultracrepidarian
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Invent what? Apple didn't invent the computer. Or the MP3 player. Or the mobile phone. Or or or.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran wrote:

WSJ

Japan in decline

Which company is the biggest in the world, not only by market capitalization, not only by growth, not only by profitability, not only by innovation and and and ? ?

Apple .. 573 Billion market cap .. and .. not yet counting the China market for Apple .. if China opens to APPLE , market cap could go to Trillion $

what does APPLE do

consumer electronics

Canon and Fuji Film .. healthcare .. medical imaging ? ? ?

no money in that .. that is making money the hard way, nickle & dime .. and .. world is cutting now on healthcare .. healthcare cost broke the back of the camel .. no more money for that

come on, colonel , come on

you gotto invent something

otherwise reinventing what Siemens doing since 100 yrs will not bring much

Your arguments might carry a bit more weight if you actually had some clue of what you're talking about:

rather than recycling long outdated stereotypes.

Rephrased: what is your issue with island nations?

Oh. Where's Iran?

Apple is a recent success story, one has to give great credit for their remarkable turnaround. Conversely, Sony has recently missed a number of significant opportunities.

However, in general, there is more to an economy than advanced mobile phones.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Colonel Sun is right. Of the Top 25 Most Inventive Companies, quite a few of them are Japanese. The U.S. also does quite well.
cultivate a white rose
noddy

Post by noddy »

if anyone can completely stuffup a headstart its going to be apple, they have done it twice before (apple 2 and early mac) and dont seem to have learnt the lesson about trying to control every aspect of the supply chain and just how much that contradicts the nature of the beast.

if they are still this strong in the market in 5 years i will be surprised..extremely surprised.

sony & canon (2 japanese companies i am familiar with) have made a few mistakes of late but are both far more diverse and thusly insulated and have long histories of technical innovation.

apples "innovation" is making things simple and elegant, its a good skill but its also the easiest to copy.

20% of the market is impressive for a single company but is probably going to be their maximum because of their control freak issues.. it really does seem to be windows vs mac all over again and this time its android which has allowed anyone to make their hardware and thusly hasnt alienated every single factory in the world who isnt an apple supplier.

its also a mistake to right off microsoft/nokia yet, even if it is tempting :)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: . . .

It will be interesting to see how well Windows 8 on the Nokia phones performs:

RB_cmZSgWKI
noddy

Post by noddy »

yes, off topic finnish innovation :P

the pixel binning 808 is the one im most interested in... really curious how the poxy little plastic bubble they call camera phone lenses delivers!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/noki ... -41-megap/
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

anderson

Post by anderson »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote: . . .

It will be interesting to see how well Windows 8 on the Nokia phones performs:

RB_cmZSgWKI
Windows Phone 8 should do well, eating market share pie from Symbian, Blackberry OS, and (non-evangelist) Android users.
Particularly as more flagship phones like the Nokia Lumia come out. Also as the convergence of Windows proper and Windows Phone progresses.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

rather than recycling long outdated stereotypes.

Rephrased: what is your issue with island nations ?

Oh. Where's Iran ?

Colonel ,

Under circumstances Iran last 33 years, Japan probably would not exist today

Iran is under strictest sanction last 33 yrs, 8 yrs of war backed by entire world (the real world war), with 1 million causality .. and .. presently under nuclear attack threat by US, Israel, maybe Russia and Turkey and a few others

Not comparing Japan with Iran

Comparing Japan with Germany and America and China and Korea

and

have no issue with island nation ? .. in contrary

Apple is a recent success story, one has to give great credit for their remarkable turnaround. Conversely, Sony has recently missed a number of significant opportunities.

However, in general, there is more to an economy than advanced mobile phones.

true

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:Image
Perhaps Japan is benefiting more than the West from economic growth in China, Vietnam, South Korea, Indonesia, etc.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Image
Perhaps Japan is benefiting more than the West from economic growth in China, Vietnam, South Korea, Indonesia, etc.
Probably. China is now Japan's largest trading partner.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Probably the best shillstastic article on Japan Inc. right now. I think it might have came straight from the Yokoso Campaign c.2003 ! :twisted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 08630.html
It used be that the Japanese offered idiosyncratic takes on foreign things. White bread was transformed into shokupan, a Platonic ideal of fluffiness, aerated and feather-light in a way that made Wonder Bread seem dense. Pasta was almost always spaghetti, perfectly cooked al dente, but typically doused with cream sauce and often served with spicy codfish roe. Foreign imports here took on a life of their own, becoming something completely different and utterly Japanese.
During the robust economy of the '80s, Japan's exports ruled, and the country would import the best that money could buy from the rest of the globe, including Italian chefs and French sommeliers. Which made Japan an haute bourgeoisie heaven where luxury manufacturers from the West expected skyrocketing sales forever.

But now 20-plus years of recession have killed that dream. Louis Vuitton sales are plummeting, and magnums of Dom Pérignon are no longer being uncorked at a furious pace. That doesn't mean the Japanese have turned away from the world. They've just started approaching it on their own terms, venturing abroad and returning home with increasingly more international tastes and much higher standards, realizing that the apex of bread making may not be Wonder Bread–style loaves, but pain à l'ancienne................
As a result of this quest, Japan has become the most culturally cosmopolitan country on Earth, a place where you can lunch at a bistro that serves 22 types of delicious and thoroughly Gallic terrines, shop for Ivy League–style menswear at a store that puts to shame the old-school shops of Cambridge, Massachusetts, and spend the evening sipping rare single malts in a serene space that boasts a collection of 12,000 jazz, blues and soul albums. The best of everything can be found here, and is now often made here: American-style fashion, haute French cuisine, classic cocktails, modern luxury hotels. It might seem perverse for a traveler to Tokyo to skip sukiyaki in favor of Neapolitan pizza, but just wait until he tastes that crust...................

According to almost every non-Japanese chef I've spoken to, Japanese chefs, even those cooking non-Japanese cuisines, are the most highly trained and technically adept in the world. Patrice Martineau, a French chef now in charge of Peter restaurant in the Peninsula Tokyo, put it this way: "I'm living the dream of every French chef I know. I have an entire kitchen staff of Japanese working under me. There's no one in the world who works harder, faster, better."
When Japanese chefs finally return home to cook, the restaurant business gives them a kind of auteur status that's virtually unheard of in the rest of the world. Cesar Ramirez's Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, which was recently awarded three Michelin stars, famously seats only 18. But there are hundreds of such tiny non-Japanese restaurants in Tokyo alone, and many thousands more Japanese places.

....................High-end consumer culture in Japan survived 20 years of economic decline and has actually become much better, in critical terms, though also less profitable than it was when Japan, Inc., ruled the world. The Japanese, animated by the principles of perfection, specialization, craft and obsession that they have long brought to their own culture, have applied the same standards to Basque cuisine, Rhum Agricole cocktails, American-style outerwear, and almost everything else wondrous and obscure from the rest of the world. :lol:
And while the Japanese have done an admirable job of exporting their native cuisine and culture, perhaps the next challenge for their flagging economy is to learn to export everything they do best. While some of these ventures do well financially, others just seem to hang on. Japan's superior cocktails, cuisine, clothes and hospitality deserve to catch on globally, but who knows if they will even continue to last in Japan. Which is precisely why this is the moment to visit.
While Japanese-run restaurants, labels, stores and bars have come to dominate the scene, in Japan's high-end hotel business, foreign brands rule. Yet what's interesting is that they haven't thrived by simply imposing their outside vision of luxury accommodations on Japan. The Peninsula Tokyo (whose parent company is based in Hong Kong) has been successful, Thompson explains, by incorporating deep Japanese hospitality into its model. "In other parts of the world, I would have to train staff on how to behave toward guests," Thompson says. "Here, that's the kind of knowledge every Japanese employee already possesses on an almost instinctive level."
In many cities around the world, hotels cater to so many foreigners that it matters most to deliver high-level, albeit generic international hospitality. But the Peninsula, with a client base that is now about 60 percent Japanese, was forced to adopt native customs. The formality of Japanese culture takes a subtle yet distinctive form at the hotel. Upon seeing a guest returning from a run, a doorman outside radios in so that just as he crosses the threshold, the runner is greeted with a bottle of water and a hand towel. "That's omotenashi," Thompson explains, "a kind of hospitality that involves anticipating what your guest needs." Which is the simplest explanation of what a great hotel is supposed to do.

..............................High-end consumer culture in Japan survived 20 years of economic decline and has actually become much better, in critical terms, though also less profitable than it was when Japan, Inc., ruled the world. The Japanese, animated by the principles of perfection, specialization, craft and obsession that they have long brought to their own culture, have applied the same standards to Basque cuisine, Rhum Agricole cocktails, American-style outerwear, and almost everything else wondrous and obscure from the rest of the world.

And while the Japanese have done an admirable job of exporting their native cuisine and culture, perhaps the next challenge for their flagging economy is to learn to export everything they do best. While some of these ventures do well financially, others just seem to hang on. Japan's superior cocktails, cuisine, clothes and hospitality deserve to catch on globally, but who knows if they will even continue to last in Japan. Which is precisely why this is the moment to visit. :lol:

So now not only do we have anime otakus, but also train otakus, jean otakus, Francophone otakus, cocktail otakus, pizza otakus, etc.....
Me thinks this an indication of something much larger and intriguing at work. Instead being an indicator of ever increasing globalization in the nation, these trends imply Japan has once again revolved inwards to better navel gaze upon itself? It will not be the first time it has done so.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:Probably the best shillstastic article on Japan Inc. right now. I think it might have came straight from the Yokoso Campaign c.2003 ! :twisted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 08630.html
Why does this WSJ article bother you as much as it does?

Out of mild curiousity, have you ever visited Japan?

As for the WSJ, I recall reading a travel in Japan article about how the author had to sleep in his car as he could not find a reasonably priced hotel.

Or was it the NYT?

Anyways, either the author had never been to Japan, and was simply making it up, or was simply too dumb to own a passport.