China

Typhoon

Re: China

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

America should fear China’s air force

No, CS, author ain't Chinese :lol:

RAND Corporation analysis
U.S. and Chinese Air Superiority Capabilities

Sobering, real sobering

And, imagine, in generation or two, Iran will be Chinese "wingman"

Mosche, anybody home ? ? ? :lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

China Has a $1.2 Trillion Ponzi Finance Problem
Chinese borrowers are taking on record amounts of debt to repay interest on their existing obligations, raising the risk of defaults and adding pressure on policy makers to keep financing costs low.

The amount of loans, bonds and shadow finance arranged to cover interest payments will probably rise 5 percent this year to a record 7.6 trillion yuan ($1.2 trillion), according to Beijing-based Hua Chuang Securities Co., whose lead fixed-income analyst was top-ranked by China’s New Fortune magazine in 2012 and 2013. Dubbed “Ponzi finance” by Hyman Minsky, the use of borrowed funds to repay interest was seen by the late U.S. economist as an unsustainable form of credit growth that could precipitate financial crises.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Sidney Rittenberg knows a thing or two about China. During World War II, he learned fluent Mandarin as a U.S. Army linguist, worked in China, left the Army and joined the Chinese Communist Party. He became friends with Mao Zedong and spent 16 years in solitary confinement—as Mao’s prisoner.

We recently spoke to Rittenberg about his experiences in Maoist China, his imprisonment and why he became disillusioned with the party. In his 93 years, he’s seen China and America at their best … and their worst.

He doesn’t believe it would be a war America could win.
“We’re not very good at learning,”

The Interview
Meet the American Who Joined Mao’s Revolution

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economic Observer | The Difference Between Chinese And Western Billionaires
A disproportionately high number of China's so-called "super-rich" came from real estate. It's the first clue about what's wrong with Chinese wealth accumulation.
The Economic Observer is a weekly Chinese-language newspaper founded in April 2001. It is one of the top business publications in China. The main editorial office is based in Beijing, China. Inspired by the Financial Times of Britain, the newspaper is printed on peach-colored paper.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:China Has a $1.2 Trillion Ponzi Finance Problem
Chinese borrowers are taking on record amounts of debt to repay interest on their existing obligations, raising the risk of defaults and adding pressure on policy makers to keep financing costs low.

The amount of loans, bonds and shadow finance arranged to cover interest payments will probably rise 5 percent this year to a record 7.6 trillion yuan ($1.2 trillion), according to Beijing-based Hua Chuang Securities Co., whose lead fixed-income analyst was top-ranked by China’s New Fortune magazine in 2012 and 2013. Dubbed “Ponzi finance” by Hyman Minsky, the use of borrowed funds to repay interest was seen by the late U.S. economist as an unsustainable form of credit growth that could precipitate financial crises.
Speaking of . . .

FT | Arrests in China over $7.6bn Ponzi scheme

Tip of the iceberg?
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

Speaking of . . .

FT | Arrests in China over $7.6bn Ponzi scheme

Tip of the iceberg ?

All that money is syphoned out of China, moved to Vancouver (and Toronto), Canada.

In Vancouver, shacks you would not keep your dog in, which were selling for $ 150K few yrs ago, now being shafted to Chinese for $ 3+ million (and flying off the shelve like hot cake)

Look, no such thing as dirty or stollen money (from others), Iranian Banker defrauds Iran, is welcomed in Toronto .. money is money (as long as stolen from others) :lol: :lol:

Everybody knows, but, the mindset is, f*ck China

noddy

Post by noddy »

the mindset is not f*ck china.

the mindset is that chinese money is as good as any body elses money.

anything else would be racist :-)

why would the canadian government enforce chinese politburo law, what an absurd concept, no other country does, china itself only does so sporadically
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:.

the mindset is not f*ck china.

the mindset is that chinese money is as good as any body elses money.

anything else would be racist :-)

why would the canadian government enforce chinese politburo law, what an absurd concept, no other country does, china itself only does so sporadically

Since some yrs, to combat terrorism and money laundering, banks must follow "know your client" rule .. meaning banks are partly responsible the money they handling is "legal & clean" .. means banks must know what business their client is in, where the money comes from, where it is going to and for what purpose.

I in Vancouver must account for any money passing my account, must give reason where the money comes and why I am sending funds to any address .. strictly enforced.

When Russians take 100s of Millions and escape to Tel Aviv or London, when Chinese run a Ponzi 7.4 Billion and buy in Vancouver a few 20 million dollar homes over the weekend, when Malaysia politicians make disappear 4.5 Billion and say this was Saudi Gift .. when Iranian Bank employee runs away to Toronto with 100s of million with Iranian court after him ..

All this known in detail by Canadian, Australian, British, US authorities .. but .. going on since 20+ yrs.

Mindset is, Russia, China, Iran, Malaysia and a few others, f*ck them all, they deserve it.

London and Tel Aviv (probably Canada too) swimming in "dirty money" .. each having their own client for dirty money.

You no dealin with fools, noddy

noddy

Post by noddy »

you are desperate to put victim angle on this azari, you are missing the truth big time.

here is the word straight from our central bankers mouth, please pay attention.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/02 ... -to-china/
…”If you have got something like a fixed asset in a country and you are globalising the entire world then location becomes a valuable asset.”

“Real estate on Sydney harbour for example is also from a national point of view attractive. But for foreign investors it’s also very attractive because there’s billions of dollars of wealth being generated in China.

“The middle class is expanding, and they’re going to want to buy things, environmental goods – they’re going to want to buy stuff which we actually have in abundance. But much of it is fixed assets so you can’t change the supply of it, and so therefore it’s value is likely to go up a lot.”
the current ruling class wants to prop up the failing system as long as it can to garuntee their own futures and it intends to use chinese money to make it happen.

china will own lots of prime realestate, farms and mines and the powers that be will be filthy rich - they arent f*cking china.

australians will be third world idiots blamed for being stupid/lazy and live like the arabs or africans.

my government suppresses any attempt to quantify the amount of australia that has been sold for fear of spooking the population.

its not JUST corruption money, its mainly chinese state owned business and shell companies, they dont care, they just want the money.

its not a F*CK CHINA plan, its a GIMME MONEY plan.

----

its also that the canadians are doing, they dont care if your kids grow up into a ghetto, or lack any oppurtunities, they wanted your sweet cash as a middle class immigrant, the future is someone elses problem.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Red Flag
HQ-9 SAM @ Woody Island

Known as the “Red Banner,” the HQ-9 SAM is China’s indigenous long range air defense system, complementing Russian made S-300 missiles.

The system is mounted on an 8×8 wheeled truck, each carrying 4 missiles.

The missile itself has a top speed of Mach 4.2, range of 200km and a flight ceiling of roughly 27-30km.

In addition to the ability to target aircraft, drones and cruise missiles, the HQ-9 also has a limited anti-ballistic missile and anti-surface capability.

While the missile currently uses semi-active radar homing and infrared guidance to hit targets, future upgrades would increase range and add on an active radar seeker.

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

"Flying the Red Banner" was my ex-wife's term for menstruation. If there is ever a female Chinese premier, be very afraid.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:"Flying the Red Banner" was my ex-wife's term for menstruation. If there is ever a female Chinese premier, be very afraid.
PMS & nuclear weapons..... even the UN Security Council would be afraid to address this issue.

"Unfortunately, in light of current events, all human rights are suspended for four days each month."

"yeah, yeah, YEAH! I know Wang! AGW is the biggest issue facing all of mankind.

BUT NOT FOR ME,IT ISN'T, AT LEAST NOT FOR THE NEXT FOUR DAYS! YA GOT THAT?"
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

5% isn't the end of the World when the economy is growing by 6%
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Is it?
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Interesting question.

The mainstream estimates I've seen are over 5%

Do you have a decent estimate below 5%?
noddy

Post by noddy »

the figures are as wildly divergent as the ideological backdrops that created them.

what cant be denied is the real world proxies for that growth, energy usage, metal usage etc and they are all going backwards

eg: some quick graphs from economic blogs.

this one indicates over 5% on the official figures however the electricity graph isnt lining up that well at the moment :)

the previous post gfc drop the government did a monster stimulus, this time they cant because like the japanses and us, all the stimulus has been stimulated.

my country tastes all this stuff in realtime, if china sniffles australia gets pneumonia etc.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Always good to read a perspective that one may not entirely agree with . . .

ANR | As the East Creates, the West Tries to Destroy

Having traveled extensively late summer on the PR China high speed train system, I have to admit that I was impressed.
Aside from one wonky bit of track, the ride was fast, smooth, and quiet.

Interesting that this article was republished in the Australian National Review.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
Interesting that this article was republished in the Australian National Review.
despite the cliches from before the 50's certain folks like to propogate. australia has been far more asian focused than europe/american focused for atleast 2 decades now.

our exports and imports are mostly asian, money talks etc :)
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nikkei Asian Rev | Xi told to resign, has well-being threatened
TOKYO -- In a fresh sign of the bitter power struggle going on in China, an explosive open letter appeared briefly on a state-sanctioned website calling for President Xi Jinping to resign over economic mismanagement.

The letter was not signed. It was posted by Wujie News in early March, shortly before the National People's Congress, China's parliament, kicked off its annual meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
A massive manhunt is underway to identify the author(s) of the letter leading to a Streisand Effect.