Parr-Tay

Hoosiernorm

Parr-Tay

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... party.html
Six leaders from South Korea's biggest Buddhist order have quit after secret video footage showed some supposedly serene monks raising hell, playing high-stakes poker, drinking and smoking.
LoLfhQahUdo
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Re: Parr-Tay

Post by Typhoon »

Will now definitely consider monk hood as a retirement option.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:Will now definitely consider monk hood as a retirement option.
Are there any orders that specifically have a reverence for irreverence? I think that you could probably get ordained quite easily
Been busy doing stuff
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Are there any orders that specifically have a reverence for irreverence? I think that you could probably get ordained quite easily
What the monks were doing was far more shocking than simple irreverence.

They were caught red-handed conducting sacred Jesuit rituals.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If you ever get caught crossing the line.... give me a call..... I got a boatload of dispensations I need to sell......
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:

I think you have to conduct a bingo game and promote the sale of magazines and chocolate bars before you can conclude that this was a Jesuit ritual. I mean you have the smoking and the drinking but a simple card game added to that is only half a ritual.
Been busy doing stuff
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

There is actually a long Buddhist theological precedent for this. Certain individuals are so far along the Dharma path and near enlightenment that they can do whatever they want, they already know by natural insight what others supposedly need meditation and discipline to learn. Or something.

The Bogd Khan was one such Caligulan figure, and still venerated by many Mongolians. Or not, depending on who you believe. There is a big of a war between Western and Mongolian scholars on the issue. He was pals with Ungern-Sternberg, which is not a good sign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogd_Khan
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:

I think you have to conduct a bingo game and promote the sale of magazines and chocolate bars before you can conclude that this was a Jesuit ritual. I mean you have the smoking and the drinking but a simple card game added to that is only half a ritual.
As we used to say in school, "Wherever you find four Jesuits together, you will always find a fifth."
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

4=5 for EpiscoPals too..........

Post by monster_gardener »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:

As we used to say in school, "Wherever you find four Jesuits together, you will always find a fifth."
Thank you Very Much for Your Post, Nonc....

An Episcopalian girl once told me the same thing about the EpiscoPals :wink: 8-) :lol:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light