The Donald....the newest savior.....

manolo

Re: The Donald....the newest savior.....

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Hillary Cosby Clinton is running against Donald Trump. Trump is the clear family values pick between the 2.
Mr P,

Hillary is not running in the Republican primaries. The candidate choice for 'family value' Evangelical Republicans was between those running in the Republican primaries.

Alex.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I know you don't follow US politics, so you wouldn't know that the GOP primary is over. The GOP primary is over, Trump won pretty handily.

Now the contest is between Trump and Clinton. Trump is the obvious family values candidate.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Apollonius wrote:As someone who is a passive observer of American elections, and to boot, one who never watches campaign speeches or debates or, for that matter, TV of any kind, I should probably refrain from posting to this subject. However, I cannot help but be interested.
:)

That describes most people here. Thanks for being honest about it, at least.

Before I get distracted by my own post I was intrigued by a comment by SM that he thought that libertarians would not be voting for Trump, and I wondered why.
Libertarians are tremendously stupid, politically.
Don't worry, I'm not all that reliable in predicting the future, but like Alex, another person who won't be voting, I have a gut feeling that Trump might very well win this election.
Man I hope you're right.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Good post Apollonius.

As I have said previously, Trump's and Sanders' popularity is a continuation of the OWS, Tea Party, Obama, and Palin trend for change from the two ruling parties. How to be different after one attains power and is subject to the same incentives will be the real test.

Interesting to see that rather than either mounting third party challenges, both seem to be taking advantage of the self destruction in each party.

Very interesting to see how many articles are cropping up to attempt to explain to the spinmeisters and the binoids what exactly is happening. I recommend several recent articles by Victor Davis Hansen and Peggy Noonan.

Yet, so far, both camps of binoids seem stuck in their old worn out narratives of bigotry, racism, corruption, and personal insults.

"If you don't goose step in my parade, you suck!" seems to be wearing out.

boo hoo hoo for both parties.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Hillary Cosby Clinton is running against Donald Trump. Trump is the clear family values pick between the 2.
Suddenly, we are supposed to be shocked by vulgarians? That barn door blew open sometime in the 50 to 98 period. Hasn't there been sufficient harassment of social conservatives, telling them that their behavior and beliefs were much too provincial and they should get with the current year?..I wonder what's change?
Give people change they can believe, and then they piss and moan that you're not consistent. You just can't win with some people.
yeah, those that think everyone else can be contemptibly divided between schmucks and marks. ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote:
Suddenly, we are supposed to be shocked by vulgarians? That barn door blew open sometime in the 50 to 98 period. Hasn't there been sufficient harassment of social conservatives, telling them that their behavior and beliefs were much too provincial and they should get with the current year?..I wonder what's change?
Give people change they can believe, and then they piss and moan that you're not consistent. You just can't win with some people.
yeah, those that think everyone else can be contemptibly divided between schmucks and marks. ;)
As the say in the new city of York, "F**k em if they can't take a joke!" ;)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
As the say in the new city of York, "F**k em if they can't take a joke!" ;)
The new city of York...sounds like someone is a "Turn: Washington's Spies" fan.

Get your powdered wig ready!

me personally, I'm just lookin' for an excuse to popularize the bicorne hat. :D
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I know you don't follow US politics, so you wouldn't know that the GOP primary is over. The GOP primary is over, Trump won pretty handily.
Mr P,

I agree with you that Trump is the likely GOP candidate. So, to return to the question of Trump, Evangelicals and 'family values'. Why were the Evangelicals silent on 'family values' when the choice was between Trump and more acceptable social conservative candidates? Was it, as Reince Priebus said, that they "Just don't care" about Trump's disdain for them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNqvDIW_ts/

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:I know you don't follow US politics, so you wouldn't know that the GOP primary is over. The GOP primary is over, Trump won pretty handily.
Mr P,

I agree with you that Trump is the likely GOP candidate. So, to return to the question of Trump, Evangelicals and 'family values'. Why were the Evangelicals silent on 'family values' when the choice was between Trump and more acceptable social conservative candidates? Was it, as Reince Priebus said, that they "Just don't care" about Trump's disdain for them?

Alex.
The so-called religious right was a theme used to organize PACs. The only candidate using PACs this year is Clinton, so they are sitting on their hands.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Country crooner Charlie Daniels relayed the warning from the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) to “the Ayatollahs of Iran and every terrorist you enable” who, he says, have yet to meet the frightening farmers, cowboys, truck-drivers and “swamp folks in Cajun country who can wrestle a full-grown gator out of the water” of ‘real America.’

xh8vFNynb_w

:lol: :lol:

Really funny.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote: Mr P,

Alex.
Oh. I'm sorry I didn't realize what you were getting at.

The evangelical love affair with Trump is probably the single largest news item of the last 6-8 months in GOP politics, covered more than any other topic, broken down to the bolts countless times by now. If you haven't been following politics in the last 6-8 months I don't think I would be able to catch you up. I would try googling some interviews with evangelicals and read from the source what they love about Trump. It would be easy to do. All your questions will be answered.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Evangelicals have long been well known to possess weakly-held spiritual beliefs and use their "faith" as a signaling mechanism for group identity rather than to inform earnest efforts to build a better society. They are jingoistic materialists first and foremost, hence quite comfortable with all aspects of Trump's persona.

[Mod note: Mr. P. can speak for himself, as can everyone else.]
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I guess that is something liberals have in common with the holy rollers.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I guess that is something liberals have in common with the holy rollers.
I disagree. Liberals out holy roller every one else by a large margin.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:I guess that is something liberals have in common with the holy rollers.
I disagree. Liberals out holy roller every one else by a large margin.
I don't think so.

No lack of looneys on either side of the US culture wars.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

By George, he's got it.

Grauniad | Trump hits delegate count needed for Republican nomination

I think a Trump vs Sanders debate would be a brilliant move by both to the detriment of Harridan Hillary.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nat Post | Trump brings Reagan’s economic team out of retirement in effort to ignite a boom like the Eighties
To everything there is a season,
Spend, spend, spend*.
*With apologies to The Byrds.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Zack Morris wrote:Evangelicals have long been well known to possess weakly-held spiritual beliefs and use their "faith" as a signaling mechanism for group identity rather than to inform earnest efforts to build a better society.
Zack,

A reading of Bela Zsolt's 'Nine Suitcases' will confirm your view. I would give a page number, but that would require covering old ground.

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:Evangelicals have long been well known to possess weakly-held spiritual beliefs and use their "faith" as a signaling mechanism for group identity rather than to inform earnest efforts to build a better society. They are jingoistic materialists first and foremost, hence quite comfortable with all aspects of Trump's persona.

[Mod note: Mr. P. can speak for himself, as can everyone else.]
Amen. It sounds like you are describing my left-preaching, right-practicing friends. Sometimes it is tough to tell one group of proselytizing hypocrites apart from their ideological opponents.

If ya want to sit at the same lunch table as the cool kids, ya gotta parrot whatever they are sayin.

Common Ground! :D Maybe O was right when he said "There is no red America or blue America, but only the United States of America."
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu May 26, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:By George, he's got it.

Grauniad | Trump hits delegate count needed for Republican nomination

I think a Trump vs Sanders debate would be a brilliant move by both to the detriment of Harridan Hillary.
I'll sign that petition.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: Amen. It sounds like you are describing my left-preaching, right-practicing friends.
SM,

I don't know how you put up with that bunch of petite bourgeoisie. :?

Alex.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Simple Minded: how can leftists be both America haters and jingoistic? Maybe they aren't so similar to Evangelicals after all...
NapLajoieonSteroids

Zack Morris is a fencer- all thrust, no parry. :D