Welcome to the People's Republic of North Korea!

Doc

Welcome to the People's Republic of North Korea!

Post by Doc »

YOU WILL AT ALL TIMES BE MOST RESPECTFUL TO THE GREAT LEADER.
YOU WILL NOT MAKE FUN OF THE GREAT LEADER.
YOU WILL IGNORE THE GIRLS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PHOTO THEY ARE IMPERIALIST SPYS.

Sony Pictures cancels release of "The Interview" in wake of hacker threats

James Franco and Seth Rogen in "The Interview." / Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures has decided to cancel the Dec. 25 release of "The Interview," starring James Franco and Seth Rogen.

The move comes after numerous theater chains in North America dropped the film in the wake of hackers' threatened terrorist attacks.

"In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film 'The Interview,' we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release," Sony said in a statement on Wednesday.

"Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale - all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome," the statement continued.

Regal Cinemas, AMC Entertainment and Cinemark had already pulled the movie from their theaters. The chains also were joined in postponing any screenings of "The Interview" by ArcLight Cinemas, Cineplex Entertainment and Carmike Cinemas, which pulled the film Tuesday.

Regal said in a statement that it was delaying "The Interview" ''due to wavering support of the film ... by Sony Pictures, as well as the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats."

Cineplex Entertainment, Canada's largest theater circuit, said safety was the first concern. "We look forward to a time when this situation is resolved and those responsible are apprehended," said Cineplex spokesman Pat Marshall.

After hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace on Tuesday referenced the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11th in an ominous warning of violence for "Interview" moviegoers, Sony offered theaters the option of bowing out.

The seriousness of the threat is unclear. The Department of Homeland Security said Tuesday there was "no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters," but noted it was still analyzing messages from the group. The warning did prompt law enforcement in New York and Los Angeles to address measures to ramp up security.

The FBI is investigating the identity of the hackers, but suspicion has centered on North Korea, which has issued warnings over "The Interview." The comedy depicts a TV host (James Franco) and producer (Seth Rogen) tasked by the CIA to assassinate North Korea leader Kim Jung-un (played by Randall Park). Sony, which produced the film, has been shaken by a hacking attack by the group.

The National Association of Theatre Owners also weighed in Wednesday: "Individual cinema operators may decide to delay exhibition of the movie so that our guests may enjoy a safe holiday movie season experiencing the many other exciting films we have to offer," the group said in a statement.

Sony could still potentially release the film at a later date in theaters, try an unprecedented on-demand release or simply hold on to it.

Some in Hollywood lashed out Wednesday at the theater operators, calling their decision a capitulation to terrorists.

"It is a disgrace that these theaters are not showing 'The Interview,'" said Judd Apatow, Rogen's friend and collaborator. "Will they pull any movie that gets an anonymous threat now?"

Sony's announcement on Wednesday sparked even more comments on social media:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sony-pictur ... interview/
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Re: WELCOME TO THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NORTH KOREA!!!!

Post by Zack Morris »

Capitalists capitulating to communists. They'll do anything to maximize their profits.
Doc

Re: WELCOME TO THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NORTH KOREA!!!!

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Capitalists capitulating to communists. They'll do anything to maximize their profits.
Sony is saying they have no plans to release the movie now.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Re: Welcome to the People's Republic of North Korea!

Post by Zack Morris »

Sony is afraid of even more damage and let the theaters decide whether to screen the film. And the theaters calculated, as Mark Cuban said, that despite the minimal odds of an incident occurring, the downside risk was simply too great.

Capitalists care little about freedom of expression and human rights, except insofar as it earns them more money. You probably didn't know this, but the sensibilities of the Chinese Communist Party are already beginning to affect the movies you watch here in the US of A.

Economic freedom and personal liberty are orthogonal.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i thought the spin was that capitalism is a gentrifying force because in a globalised market crude rascist stereotypes are no longer acceptable.
ultracrepidarian
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

In related news:

Disney and LucasFilms renounce to produce Star Wars VII following threats from Galactic Empire hackers

Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Sony is afraid of even more damage and let the theaters decide whether to screen the film. And the theaters calculated, as Mark Cuban said, that despite the minimal odds of an incident occurring, the downside risk was simply too great.

Capitalists care little about freedom of expression and human rights, except insofar as it earns them more money. You probably didn't know this, but the sensibilities of the Chinese Communist Party are already beginning to affect the movies you watch here in the US of A.

Economic freedom and personal liberty are orthogonal.

Hmmm Let's look at the logic here. The most communist state in the world threatens to carry out terror attacks over a movie and it is all the capitalists fault the movie gets pulled? I mean I think it is ridiculous but the families of exes at Sony have also been threatened. The best way to get even would seem to me to protest by making fun of North Koreas cheese head president.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Something doesn't add up here. If Sony released the film, the theaters would be packed and they could well make huge profits with all the wide, crazy publicity and perhaps with the addition of some slick PR campaign to "stand up to terrorists" or something like that. People go to the theaters in the public sphere at their own risk, so the liability issue is just not there. There has to be more to this story.

The physical threat to theaters is questionable. The PRK is unlikely to bomb or storm the local multiplex although I suppose some yet unknown terrorist cell could pull something. They could threaten the US and South Korea with the fires of hell, etc., but they do that about once a month for one crazy reason or another. The threat mostly appears to be of a cyber attack/informational attack nature against Sony. I wonder if they got some truly damaging information on Sony in their last cyber attack that they have threatened to release if the film is released. Who knows? I just don't think we have the real story yet.
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote:Something doesn't add up here. If Sony released the film, the theaters would be packed and they could well make huge profits with all the wide, crazy publicity and perhaps with the addition of some slick PR campaign to "stand up to terrorists" or something like that. People go to the theaters in the public sphere at their own risk, so the liability issue is just not there. There has to be more to this story.

The physical threat to theaters is questionable. The PRK is unlikely to bomb or storm the local multiplex although I suppose some yet unknown terrorist cell could pull something. They could threaten the US and South Korea with the fires of hell, etc., but they do that about once a month for one crazy reason or another. The threat mostly appears to be of a cyber attack/informational attack nature against Sony. I wonder if they got some truly damaging information on Sony in their last cyber attack that they have threatened to release if the film is released. Who knows? I just don't think we have the real story yet.
I think there are two different things going on here. The Colorado theater shooting and the fact that the families of Sony executives have been threatened. It was made plain that the hackers got all of their personal information, including home addresses.

Though I think in the name of truth in advertising that the theaters should post a notice of entry into the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea at their entrances. Maybe some armed guards marching back and forth.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Perhaps the contents of the North American Thread should be moved to the North Korean Thread :roll:
Paramount now bans 'Team America' from cinemas set to play it in place of Sony's Kim Jong-un assassination movie - and refuses to say why
Theaters set to air Team America: World Police in place of The Interview have been barred from doing so by the film's studio, Paramount
Paramount has not said why they will not allow theaters to air the animated film that mocks Kim Jong-il

By Michael Zennie for MailOnline

Published: 12:44 EST, 18 December 2014 | Updated: 20:50 EST, 18 December 2014

After Sony yanked North Korean satire 'The Interview' from theaters, several small houses announced plans to show 'Team America' - another film featuring a North Korean leader - in an attempt to spite the hermit regime.

However, Paramount Pictures has now put the kibosh on the screenings - sending out messages barring the cinemas from showing the movie.

One of the theaters, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema said; 'Due to to circumstances beyond our control, the TEAM AMERICA 12/27 screening has been cancelled. We apologize & will provide refunds today.'

Paramount however has yet to make any comment on their decision to not allow cinemas to show the film.

'Team America: World Police' features the previous leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-il as a singing marionette that gets impaled on a spike and is later revealed to be a space alien

North Korea called 'The Interview' and 'act of war' for portraying the assassination and violent death of its current leader, Kim Jong-un - who took over after his father's death

While 'The Interview' shows currently leader Kim Jong-un being assassinated in a gory fashion, 'Team America: World Police' depicts a marionette version of his father, Kim Jong-il.

In 2004's 'Team America,' Kim Jong-il is impaled on a spike and then revealed to be an alien.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Richardson, Texas, on Thursday advertised the December 27 showing of 'Team America' as a show of support for freedom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... erica.html
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Image

KUJAMC.png
KUJAMC.png (77.75 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

I would find it more noteworthy if the US government did actually try to kill Kim Jong-un rather than showing its impotence to do so by just faking it in a movie... Anyone can make a movie, but really getting rid of an enemy takes a bit more effort and courage...
Doc

Post by Doc »

After some thought I have come to the conclusion that South Korea should declare war on the North then set out a picnic all along the border for the North Korean Troops. When given a choice between eating and fighting I bet they would choose eating.

Here's the real reason North Korea hacked Sony. It has nothing to do with The Interview.

Updated by Max Fisher on December 19, 2014, 1:20 p.m. ET @Max_Fisher max@vox.com

Evidence that North Korea  was responsible for the massive Sony hack  is mounting, and in many ways the country has already been convicted in the court of US public opinion. But, no matter how conclusive the evidence becomes, one thing remains widely misunderstood: why North Korea would do this.

Despite the emerging narrative that North Korea hacked Sony Pictures in revenge for insulting Kim Jong Un with The Interview, this incident is consistent with a long line of North Korean attacks and provocations that are premised on such slights — a South Korean president saying the wrong thing, for example, or the US conducting too-close military exercises. But these are understood to be excuses, and the attacks are not responses but are in fact part of a long-running North Korean strategy carefully designed to increase international tensions.

in buying north korea's explanation, we are helping kim jong un

This is belligerence meant to deter the much stronger South Korea and US, and to draw international attention that North Korea can use to bolster domestic propaganda portraying Kim Jong Un as a fearless leader showing up the evil foreign imperialists. It is meant to foment the isolation and tension that has allowed the Kim family to hold onto rule, impossibly, for decades. It has nothing to do with Sony's film, however offensive it may be, with the film's portrayal of Kim, or with free speech in America. In believing North Korea's rhetoric strongly implying a connection, we are buying into the country's strategy and helping Kim succeed.

It's not actually about The Interview offending Kim Jong Un

The writers and producers of The Interview, including star Seth Rogen (center left) gather at the film's premiere (Frazer Harrison/Getty)

The writers and producers of The Interview, including star Seth Rogen (center left) gather at the film's premiere (Frazer Harrison/Getty)

There is every reason to believe that The Interview is just an excuse, and Sony just collateral damage, in yet another random act of North Korean violence made to perpetuate the international tensions that Kim Jong Un sees as serving his larger strategic interests.

The assumption is that North Korea would want to hack Sony as revenge for The Interview, a now-cancelled comedy that was to portray the cartoonishly tasteless assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Both North Korean state media and the hackers themselves have gone to great lengths to express outrage over the film, and the hackers have in fact repeatedly suggested that this is what motivated them.

This conforms with American understandings of how North Korea works. We see it as an irrational, inherently aggressive country, run by lunatic hotheads, whom we can easily imagine flying off the handle at hearing about The Interview, especially the craziest of them all, leader Kim Jong Un. North Korean media's unhinged statements have done a lot to cement that view. That's deliberate: North Korea wants us to see them as crazy, irrational, volatile — and dangerous.

North Korea has a long, and easy to study, history of launching these seemingly random attacks or provocations. The Sony hack fits clearly into that pattern. In the past, those have been military attacks. It test-launched long-range offensive missiles, fired dangerously close to Japan, in 2005, 2006, and 2007. It shelled the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong and sank a South Korean naval ship, Cheonan, both in 2010. It set off test nuclear warheads in 2006, 2009, and 2013. It has also launched offensive cyberattacks in the past, such as against US and South Korean government targets in 2009, against South Korean banks in 2011, and South Korean banks and TV stations in 2013.

Every time, the attacks are accompanied by a spate of over-the-top rhetoric and threats, and the North makes every effort to portray itself as dangerously irrational, and an unpredictable threat to world peace. It is certainly dangerous, but it's anything but irrational or unpredictable.

The real reasons North Korea launches attacks

north korea kim jong un KNS/AFP/Getty Images

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (KNS/AFP/Getty Images)

The effort that North Korean state media makes to convince us they're crazy gets to the three real reasons that North Korea launches these occasional attacks.

The first reason is to appear crazy and dangerous, so as to deter North Korea's far stronger enemies from doing anything against the country.

Kim Jong Un isn't stupid: he knows that his weak, impoverished state is much weaker than the US and South Korea and Japan, all of whom would just love to see his government collapse. North Korea can only deter those enemies by being more threatening and dangerous; it will never be stronger, so it has to be crazier instead, always more willing to escalate. This convinces the US and other countries, even if they see through Kim's game, that it's just easier to stay away from North Korea than to risk provoking the country into another flamboyant attack.

The second reason that North Korea does this is to keep the Korean peninsula perpetually locked in a state of high-tension and low-boil conflict, which is essential for North Korean domestic propaganda and for keeping out would-be foreign meddlers like the United States.

The country's breathtakingly oppressive government had kept power, even since the 1990s famine, with something called the Song'un or military-first policy. This policy tells North Koreans that the reason they are hungry and impoverished and locked in a police state is because this is all necessary to fund the military and protect from internal enemies, so as to keep the country safe from the imperialist Americans who would otherwise surely overwhelm them and do unspeakable things. But the Song'un policy requires keeping the appearance of a conflict with the US going at all times, which means occasionally North Korea has to lash out to maintain tensions.

The third reason is that Kim Jong Un believes he needs to keep the Korean peninsula in a state of perpetual tension and conflict to maintain his government's own physical security. This keeps the US and others on the defensive and wary of doing anything against North Korea. It also frequently generates concessions for North Korea — like Sony pulling the release of The Interview, or the US sending former Presidents Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton to negotiate the release of Americans held by North Korea. Even if these concessions are only symbolic , they still serve North Korean domestic propaganda.

North Korea's effort to fool us is working — and The Interview proves it

North Korean propaganda mural (Feng Li/Getty)

North Korean propaganda mural in Pyongyang (Feng Li/Getty)

Like so much of North Korea's behavior, its cyberwarfare program is another sign that, despite its popular portrayal (including in The Interview) as a wingnut state run by delusional madmen, the country is coldly rational and brutally strategic in its actions.

North Korea's decision to hack Sony is being widely misconstrued as an expression of either the country's insanity or of its outrage over The Interview. But that sort of cartoonish mischaracterization is exactly how Americans came to believe that North Korea was a bunch of buffoons who probably couldn't dial up to the internet, much less launch one of the most successful cyber attacks against the US in history.

And it is a portrayal of North Korea that is far from unique to The Interview, but that the film certainly did its part to promote, playing up the Hermit Kingdom as a hilarious and bizarre little oddity of a country, run by a crazy man.

This strategy of portraying itself as crazy is remarkably effective at securing North Korea's strategic goals. But it is also quite dangerous. By design, the risk of escalation is high, so as to make the situation just dangerous enough that foreign leaders will want to deescalate. And it puts pressure on American, South Korean, and Japanese leaders to decide how to respond — knowing that any punishment will only serve to bolster North Korean propaganda and encourage further belligerence. In this sense, the attacks are calibrated to be just severe enough to demand our attention, but not so bad as to lead to all-out war.

People will often say that North Korea launches these attacks because they're crazy or irrational. If only it were that simple, the Kim Jong Un regime would have driven itself into extinction decades ago.
http://www.vox.com/2014/12/19/7421535/t ... -interview[/quote]
YMix

Post by YMix »

Max Fisher wrote:Evidence that North Korea  was responsible for the massive Sony hack  is mounting
I wouldn't say that.
and in many ways the country has already been convicted in the court of US public opinion.
Not surprising at all.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

If it were indeed North Korea, could the perception of Sony as a Japanese company play a role in this? This is hardly the first time hollywood has spoofed or mocked the Kims or North Korea but the minute a branch of Sony does it, it is cyber warfare.

I heard that the attack wasn't a worm and that it has been traced to a company computer in one of their Japanese offices. Meaning: there was some espionage going on, and North Korea had an insider in the company.

The other rumor is that China had a hand in this. If they did or didn't, I doubt we'll hear publicly. I also read a dismissal on this because the attack was rudimentary and that Sony simply had abominable computer protection.
noddy

Post by noddy »

my tinfoil hat theory is that it was a lavender movie rejected by screen testing and now some viral marketing guy is going to get himself a fat bonus :P

bonus fat chick.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:After some thought I have come to the conclusion that South Korea should declare war on the North then set out a picnic all along the border for the North Korean Troops. When given a choice between eating and fighting I bet they would choose eating.
As the official spokesperson ("spokesman" would be stretching it) for America. I hearby appoint you as Czar of Border Security.

I got me a pen, and I got me a phone, and if all y'all don't get on board....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:my tinfoil hat theory is that it was a lavender movie rejected by screen testing and now some viral marketing guy is going to get himself a fat bonus :P

bonus fat chick
And you, I hearby knight you as Sir Noddy, responsible for all American Homeland Security and PR..... but not my social calendar nor my bar hoppin wingman..... also in charge of Photoshopping my political opponents campaign ads.....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

This one time, when I was in a Target store one, this North Korean asked me to get something down off a shelf for them.......

If she was one of the chicks in Typhoon's photo, I'd assume she was hittin on me. :)

Since she was the chick(?) in noddy's photo, I assumed she was racist. :(

an a nother thang:

See what I mean? Those people are all like that! :evil:
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

China says no proof North Korea hacked Sony
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

There are only two possibilities since the malware was observed interacting with a known server used for hacking IP address in NK or because all internet traffic goes through China....
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/nationa ... b4b2e.html
North Korea experiencing severe Internet outages

Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 4:58 pm | Updated: 5:45 pm, Mon Dec 22, 2014.

Associated Press |

WASHINGTON (AP) — North Korea experienced sweeping and progressively worse Internet outages extending into Monday, with one computer expert saying the country's online access is "totally down." The White House and the State Department declined to say whether the U.S. government was responsible.

President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. government expected to respond to the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., which he described as an expensive act of "cyber vandalism" that he blamed on North Korea. Obama did not say how the U.S. might respond, and it was not immediately clear if the Internet connectivity problems represented the retribution. The U.S. government regards its offensive cyber operations as highly classified.

"We aren't going to discuss, you know, publicly operational details about the possible response options or comment on those kind of reports in anyway except to say that as we implement our responses, some will be seen, some may not be seen," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.

North Korea has forcefully denied it was responsible for hacking into Sony. But the country has for months condemned the "The Interview," a Sony satirical comedy about a plot to assassinate the North Korean leader. Sony canceled plans to release the movie after a group of hackers made terroristic threats against theaters that planned to show it.

North Korean diplomat Kim Song, asked Monday about the Internet attack, told The Associated Press: "I have no information."

Doug Madory, the director of Internet analysis at Dyn Research, an Internet performance company, said Monday the problems began over the weekend and grew progressively worse to the point that "North Korea's totally down."

North Korea is one of the least connected in the world. Few North Koreans have access to computers, and even those who do are typically able to connect only to a domestic intranet. Though North Korea is equipped for broadband Internet, only a small, approved segment of the population has any access to the World Wide Web. More than a million people, however, are now using mobile phones in North Korea. The network covers most major cities but users cannot call outside the country or receive calls from outside.

With the current outages, Madory said, "They have left the global Internet and they are gone until they come back."

Another Internet technology service, Arbor Networks, which protects companies against hacker attacks, said its monitoring detected denial-of-service attacks aimed at North Korea's infrastructure starting Saturday and persisting Monday. Such attacks transmit so much spurious data traffic to Internet equipment that it becomes overwhelmed, until the attacks stop or the spurious traffic can be filtered and discarded to allow normal connections to resume.

Madory said one benign explanation for the problem might be that a router suffered a software glitch, though a cyber-attack involving North Korea's Internet service was also a possibility. Routing instabilities are not uncommon, but instead of getting better, as one might expect, "it's getting worse, getting progressively degraded," Madory said.

"This doesn't fit that profile," of an ordinary routing problem, he said. "This shows something getting progressively worse over time."
I guess if the North Korean government can't keep its internet up and running that they are not capable of conducting the attack on Sony.

:lol: :lol:
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

There are only two possibilities since the malware was observed interacting with a known server used for hacking IP address in NK or because all internet traffic goes through China...

Looks to me "false flag"

Could be, Sony just faking,

Yes, true, a few worthless emails, Angelina Jolie this, Mr. ShitStein that

but, nothing of substance

and

never had heard of "Interview" movie, now heard of it .. cheap PR for probably a 2bit movie

and

Media on North Korea bashing orgy

Looks to me, from Rumsfeld Pentagon/CIA soup kitchen .. obvious false flag

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmich

Post by kmich »

As far as the causes North Korea's internet outage, who knows? This is a nation with primitive infrastructure and with only cronies of Kim Jong-un with internet access. Fearless leader will have to go a few days without those surfing shemale dating sites though. He will likely threaten to unleash "hell on earth" in retaliation. Poor baby. :roll:

As far as Sony goes, it may have been finally engineered all this as a publicity stunt:

The Interview: US cinemas to screen Sony film on Christmas Day
The North Korea comedy film that had its Christmas Day launch cancelled after a major cyber attack and threats against US cinema-goers is now to get a limited theatrical release, Sony says.

The Interview will be shown in some independent US cinemas on Thursday.

Sony Chairman Michael Lynton said he was "excited" that the comedy, about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, would now be seen.

Two cinemas in Atlanta and Austin have already revealed screenings.

They said via social media that Sony Pictures had authorised them to show the film, which has been at the centre of escalating tensions between the US and North Korea.

"Breaking news," tweeted Tim League, founder of the Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Austin.

"Sony has authorized screenings of THE INTERVIEW on Christmas Day. We are making shows available within the hour."

The development was welcomed by the film's director Seth Rogen.

He tweeted: "The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up!"

Sony's decision came hours after North Korea saw its domestic "intranet" and connections to the wider internet effectively shut down for 10 hours.

The US has blamed North Korea for the Sony hack, which has led to sensitive data and unreleased film material being leaked.

President Obama has vowed to respond, but US officials declined to comment on who might have been responsible for the North Korea shutdown.

'First step'

On Thursday, in the wake of threats against cinema chains that had planned to screen The Interview, Sony announced that the film's release would be pulled completely.

Major movie chains in the US are thought unlikely to take part in the release at this stage.

Mr Lynton said: "We are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theatres so this movie can reach the largest possible audience."

He also said he "hoped it would be the first step of the film's release".

The company has yet to reveal further details of its release plans, but there is also speculation that video on-demand (VOD) will be offered as part of the package.