Shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

Ibrahim

Shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

Post by Ibrahim »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/05/br ... kh-temple/
Authorities responded to an incident at a Sikh temple in Milwaukee County on Sunday, where at least one body was seen lying in the parking lot. CNN affiliate WTMJ is reporting that multiple people may have been shot outside the temple.

WTMJ reports that the gunman may be on the loose. Aerial pictures show multiple bodies in the parking lot.

The shooting happened at about 10:40 a.m. local time, according to WTMJ.

Sikhism rose up 500 years ago in India as a monotheistic religion that rejected the caste system and scriptures of Hinduism.
Ibrahim

Re: Shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

Post by Ibrahim »

The odd things about coverage of this so far:

1. Sikhs trying to talk about discrimination against them since 9/11 literally having their mics cut off mid sentence (several times on CNN that I've seen). They find somebody from the temple where the shooting happened, ask him to talk about it, then immediately shut him up.

2. The assumption (by everyone) that the shooter(s) targeted Sikhs because he thought they were Muslims, even though there is no clue what motivated the attacks, and it would not change the nature of the attacks at all. In either case it would be a case of killing innocent people for no reason.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Ibrahim wrote:The odd things about coverage of this so far:

1. Sikhs trying to talk about discrimination against them since 9/11 literally having their mics cut off mid sentence (several times on CNN that I've seen). They find somebody from the temple where the shooting happened, ask him to talk about it, then immediately shut him up.

2. The assumption (by everyone) that the shooter(s) targeted Sikhs because he thought they were Muslims, even though there is no clue what motivated the attacks, and it would not change the nature of the attacks at all. In either case it would be a case of killing innocent people for no reason.
Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Ibrahim.
2. The assumption (by everyone) that the shooter(s) targeted Sikhs because he thought they were Muslims,
It's somewhat understandable. A Sikh was murdered in the aftermath of 911 for being mistaken as an Muslim.............

OTOH Sikhs can be violent too....... It's how they survived..... Changed from Hindu Muslim peace society to militant faith fighting against both though Muslims like Aurangzeb were the proximate cause of the change, lately I remember the conflict between the Sikhs and Indira Gandhi............

And that Air India Bombing.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

I like the Sikh precept to Never be Disarmed.......

Which is why for me, it is a shame that there weren't enough baptized Sikhs close enough (within 21 to 16 feet ;) ) to take down the perp..........

Wondering if the kirpans were glued down......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan#Uni ... of_America
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

OAK CREEK, Wis. (CBSDC/AP) — Authorities tell CBS News that the shooter behind the deadly massacre at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin Sunday has been identified as 40-year-old Wade Michael Page.

Page previously served in the U.S. military, but was no longer on active duty, sources tell CBS News.

CBS News reports that Page enlisted in the Army in April 1992 and was given a less-than-honorable discharge in October 1998. He was last stationed in Fort Bragg, N.C., serving in the psychological operations unit.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/08/ ... ry-member/
Been busy doing stuff
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Another strange thing about the coverage I'm seeing is the repetition that Sikhs are "peaceful" and belong to a "peaceful community." This has to be the most condescending thing that non-European Americans are forced to say. Not to mention ridiculous given that the Sikhs have a particularly martial history, and that besides that no community of people, as a whole, spends its time aggressively attacking other members of the same country. 'I know we have strange names and our food smells onion-y to you, but be assured we won't stab you in your sleep."

Seems the shooter was a literal neo-Nazi skinhead, gun nut, and and ex-soldier? That's a little on-the-nose.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Wonder which gang he belongs to? According to the ADL site there are a few different groups in Wisconsin.

Retaliator Skinheads

Racine County Skins

Northern Hammerskins

Milwaukee East Side Bullies

Fond du Lac Skins

http://www.adl.org/racist_skinheads/ski ... a_list.asp
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:Another strange thing about the coverage I'm seeing is the repetition that Sikhs are "peaceful" and belong to a "peaceful community." This has to be the most condescending thing that non-European Americans are forced to say.
It does seem odd that the victims would have to feel a need to justify their existence.

A dark irony, given their history, that haters mistake them as Muslim.

Not that there is any reason that American Muslims should be subjected to such hate.
Ibrahim wrote:Not to mention ridiculous given that the Sikhs have a particularly martial history,
A bit of an understatement - the 21 Sikhs.
Ibrahim wrote:and that besides that no community of people, as a whole, spends its time aggressively attacking other members of the same country. 'I know we have strange names and our food smells onion-y to you, but be assured we won't stab you in your sleep."
I knew several Sikhs when I lived in the US. Impression was one of typical immigrants and their descendants - hard-working law-abiding people. Unlike this murderer.
Ibrahim wrote:Seems the shooter was a literal neo-Nazi skinhead, gun nut, and and ex-soldier? That's a little on-the-nose.
On the one hand, one shouldn't extrapolate from n = 1.

On the other hand, there does seems to be a rise in polarization and intolerance in the US.

A tragic event.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener

Lambs Into Lions Determined to Singh the Beards of Tyrants.

Ibrahim wrote:Another strange thing about the coverage I'm seeing is the repetition that Sikhs are "peaceful" and belong to a "peaceful community." This has to be the most condescending thing that non-European Americans are forced to say. Not to mention ridiculous given that the Sikhs have a particularly martial history, and that besides that no community of people, as a whole, spends its time aggressively attacking other members of the same country. 'I know we have strange names and our food smells onion-y to you, but be assured we won't stab you in your sleep."

Seems the shooter was a literal neo-Nazi skinhead, gun nut, and and ex-soldier? That's a little on-the-nose.

Thank you Very Much for your post, Ibrahim.
the repetition that Sikhs are "peaceful" and belong to a "peaceful community."
IIRC, the person I heard making that claim was a Sikh.....
Sikhs have a particularly martial history
Quite right..........

Started off peaceful but persecution turned the Sikh lambs ;) into Lions determined to Singh :wink: the beard of Aurangzeb and other tyrants........
monster_gardener

2007 Colorado Church Shooting.....

Thank you very Much for the Thread, Ibrahim..........

Something similar happened at Christian Church not so long ago but had a somewhat better outcome due to a woman with a gun...........

At about 1 p.m. MST (20:00 UTC), 30 minutes after the 11 a.m. service had ended at New Life Church, Murray opened fire in the church parking lot shooting the Works family and Judy Purcell, 40. Murray then entered the building's main foyer where he shot Larry Bourbonnais, 59, hitting him in the forearm. At this point, Assam opened fire on Murray with her personally owned concealed weapon. Police say that after suffering multiple hits from Assam's gun, Murray fatally shot himself.[1]

Assam later stated that "God guided me and protected me [and I] did not think for a minute to run away."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Color ... _shootings
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

I think you are all missing the point here: the shooter is white, there are Christians who are white, therefore we should blame this on Christians. Or the Tea Party. Maybe he played violent video games. Or, no -- wait -- it was the shitty music he played. Or maybe...

Seriously --> to Quote Chris Rock: Whatever happened to "Crazy"? Next, it will be another socially isolated asshole who is ____________. People will try to make sense of madness "Oh he was _______ and the victims were __________ ."

There's only one way to assure he won't kill anyone else.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:I think you are all missing the point here: the shooter is white, there are Christians who are white, therefore we should blame this on Christians. Or the Tea Party. Maybe he played violent video games. Or, no -- wait -- it was the shitty music he played. Or maybe...

Seriously --> to Quote Chris Rock: Whatever happened to "Crazy"? Next, it will be another socially isolated asshole who is ____________. People will try to make sense of madness "Oh he was _______ and the victims were __________ ."

I think you can dismiss Loughtner or the man who shot up the Batman movie premiere as "just crazy," but this individual seems to be motivated by an ideology. If you look at this shooter, or Breivik in Norway, or the Fort Hood shooter, you see somebody who we can easily say is mentally unstable, but at the same time is acting out part of an ideology. There are people supporting and inspiring them, and they believe they are part of something larger (in all of these cases a racial/religious holy war).

In short, these people are terrorists. A terrorist may be crazy, in fact its almost a job requirement, but what they are doing is different from the loner-who-snaps that I remember seeing every so often since Columbine.
monster_gardener

Heroic Temple President tried to take down Shooter with a Kn

Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Ibrahim.

Just on ABC news a moment ago..

The heroic Temple President tried to take down the shooter with a Knife......

That's what I had hoped and expected to hear when Sikhs are involved.....

Probably was his kirpan.....

Too bad he failed..........

But at least he tried..........

Running is fine............

Hiding is fine.......

Fighting and succeeding is heroic.........

Fighting and failing is still heroic.........
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:Seems the shooter was a literal neo-Nazi skinhead, gun nut, and and ex-soldier? That's a little on-the-nose.

On the other hand, there does seems to be a rise in polarization and intolerance in the US.
I've written previously that post-9/11 has been something of a renaissance for American racism. The combination of economic decline, particularly effecting the prospects of the American "heartland," and the shift from "Russians" to "Muslims" as the stock villain and bogeyman of the American psyche, set the stage perfectly. Add the ever-advancing boundary of what constitutes "acceptable" statements about race in political discourse, and the conservative tactic of denying racism exists outright, and mocking all instances of using the term, and you have the present environment in which racism is much more socially acceptable than it was in the 1990's.

Even the assumption (perhaps incorrect, given that the distinction shouldn't matter to a neo-Nazi) that the shooter was trying to target Muslims and accidentally targeted Sikhs demonstrates a tacit assumption that attacking any group would have some kind of logic to it.

A tragic event.
Without question.

I knew several Sikhs when I lived in the US. Impression was one of typical immigrants and their descendants - hard-working law-abiding people. Unlike this murderer.
I had and still have Sikh friends from my childhood in B.C. and I would concur with your charaterization, but in those days there was some inter-Sikh violence (IIRC related to crime and family feuds going back to India)in the Vancouver area, so when I first heard about the shooting I reflexively thought that this was what the incident would turn out to be. It would have been a tragedy in either case.

I just read yesterday, reading up on this same topic, that Sikhs have more Victoria Crosses per capita (i.e. decorations given per men fighting) than any other group in the British Commonwealth. Certainly no wilting victims.

Though I don't know nearly enough about Sikhism itself. I'm familiar with their history in the political and military sense, but I know little about Sikhism relative to what I know of other major religions. Perhaps a good time to correct that.
monster_gardener

Ibrahim wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:I think you are all missing the point here: the shooter is white, there are Christians who are white, therefore we should blame this on Christians. Or the Tea Party. Maybe he played violent video games. Or, no -- wait -- it was the shitty music he played. Or maybe...

I think you can dismiss Loughtner or the man who shot up the Batman movie premiere as "just crazy," but this individual seems to be motivated by an ideology. If you look at this shooter, or Breivik in Norway, or the Fort Hood shooter, you see somebody who we can easily say is mentally unstable, but at the same time is acting out part of an ideology. There are people supporting and inspiring them, and they believe they are part of something larger (in all of these cases a racial/religious holy war).

In short, these people are terrorists. A terrorist may be crazy, in fact its almost a job requirement, but what they are doing is different from the loner-who-snaps that I remember seeing every so often since Columbine.
Thank You Very Much for your post, Ibrahim.

Seconded.

IMVHO Much more dangerous.........*

Early reports are that he is involved with the Nazis.........photo of him in front of a Swastika..........

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... premacist/

*And some of them have a plan.............

The Turner Diaries is a novel written in 1978 by William Luther Pierce (former leader of the white nationalist organization National Alliance) under the pseudonym "Andrew Macdonald".[1] The Turner Diaries depicts a violent revolution in the United States which leads to the overthrow of the United States federal government, nuclear war, and, ultimately, to a race war leading to the extermination of all "impure" groups such as Jews, gay people, and non-whites.[2] The book was called "explicitly racist and anti-Semitic" by The New York Times and has been labeled a "bible of the racist right" by the Southern Poverty Law Center.[3][4]

The novel has been associated with a number of real-life violent crimes committed by white separatists and other radicals. Two pages of the book containing a scene depicting preparation for the bombing of the J. Edgar Hoover Building, the FBI national headquarters, were found in the getaway car of Timothy McVeigh, the perpetrator of the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.[5][6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turner_Diaries
monster_gardener

Quick Sikh History

Ibrahim wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I've written previously that post-9/11 has been something of a renaissance for American racism. The combination of economic decline, particularly effecting the prospects of the American "heartland," and the shift from "Russians" to "Muslims" as the stock villain and bogeyman of the American psyche, set the stage perfectly. Add the ever-advancing boundary of what constitutes "acceptable" statements about race in political discourse, and the conservative tactic of denying racism exists outright, and mocking all instances of using the term, and you have the present environment in which racism is much more socially acceptable than it was in the 1990's.

Even the assumption (perhaps incorrect, given that the distinction shouldn't matter to a neo-Nazi) that the shooter was trying to target Muslims and accidentally targeted Sikhs demonstrates a tacit assumption that attacking any group would have some kind of logic to it.

A tragic event.
Without question.

I had and still have Sikh friends from my childhood in B.C. and I would concur with your charaterization, but in those days there was some inter-Sikh violence (IIRC related to crime and family feuds going back to India)in the Vancouver area, so when I first heard about the shooting I reflexively thought that this was what the incident would turn out to be. It would have been a tragedy in either case.

I just read yesterday, reading up on this same topic, that Sikhs have more Victoria Crosses per capita (i.e. decorations given per men fighting) than any other group in the British Commonwealth. Certainly no wilting victims.

Though I don't know nearly enough about Sikhism itself. I'm familiar with their history in the political and military sense, but I know little about Sikhism relative to what I know of other major religions. Perhaps a good time to correct that.
Thank you Very Much for Your post, Ibrahim.

Very Quick on the Fly summary....Largely from memory......... anyone who knows better feel free to correct.....

Mix of Hinduism and Islam...... Began as a peace movement, Nanak, a Hindu and his Muslim friend Mardana, a musician :shock:, sought to reconcile the 2 faiths and stop the violence between them. Wandered all over India singing songs and even went on the Haji IIRC on which Nanak was reprimanded for sleeping with his feet toward Mecca (the Kaba) to which he replied 'Then turn my feet toward some direction where where I don't point toward G_d or the Kaba'. Some belief in predestination but also that man's freedom under G_d could conquer fate though that is influenced by karma from bad actions or obedience to G_d. Disliked empty ceremonies of the Hindus.. Persecution by the strict Muslim Mughals following Akbar including the martyrdom of Sikh Guru leaders lead the final Guru, Gobind Singh to make definitive changes turning Sikhism into a militant faith so that Sikhs would survive.... Famous ceremony in which Gobind Singh asked successively for 5 people to sacrifice themselves.........Emerging from his tent with a bloody sword after each volunteer. Nobody died but Gobind had the volunteers drink water with sugar stirred by a dagger while he sung a hymn thus baptized them into the new casteless society of the Khalsa "Pure" Sikhs... he then had the 5 new Khalsa baptize him to show their equality....... They were now Singh...... Lions...... 4 rules.......1. No hair cutting. 2. No tobacco & no alcohol 3. No meat by the Muslim* butchering method 4. No sex except with a lawful wife.. specifically not to bother Muslim women....... 5 symbols: 1. Uncut Hair (under a turban) & Beard (kes) 2. A comb for the hair (khanga) 3. Knee length kach/"khaki" pants 4. steel bracelet (kara) on right wrist symbolizing eternity and handy for stopping sword cuts sometimes ;) and 5. the saber (kirpan) for justice........ never be disarmed.. Sikhs are casteless which has caused problems with the Hindus at times... And their women are said to have equality with the men........ Monotheistic but believe that humans can find union with G_d either eventually through reincarnations.... or Right Now in this life......... Greatest Hero after Gobind, Ranjit Singh who set up the Sikh Kingdom in the Punjab....Sikhs were Defeated and then allied by the Brits.... Stayed loyal during the Great Mutiny..... Besides soldiers, Sikhs are often famers..... India -Pakistan partition was a disaster for the Sikhs when many lost their lands when they moved to Pakistan.

*Bleeding out so presumably Kosher is right out too....
monster_gardener

Butter Knife Heroism.......

monster_gardener wrote:Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Ibrahim.

Hiding is fine.......

Thank you Very Much again for the Thread, Ibrahim.

Latest news is that the Heroic Temple President used a butter knife to defend against the perp allowing others to escape....

May be true........

I believe that he was heroic........... but am a little doubtful about the butter knife...... Could be true.......... but wondering if he really used his kirpan and if the Sikhs and/or the MSM media is trying real hard to spin the Sikhs are pacifists....

I may well be wrong and if he used a butter knife because the kirpan had to be glued down.........even more heroic.....

I think of butter knives as being dull........ unlike steak knives..........

In any case I hope he left a permanent mark on the perp...........

Looks like he may have............
The president of the temple died defending the house of worship he founded.

Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, managed to find a simple butter knife in the temple and stab the gunman before being shot twice, his son said Monday.

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover" in the kitchen, Kaleka said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ontentBody
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Yukon Cornelius wrote: Or, no -- wait -- it was the shitty music he played.
Man why does the Master race seem to have a Myspace page with only 240p audio quality? You would think that they would have made the jump to at least a Google+ account by now. I mean wow, how are you gonna get anywhere shooting the relatives of your tech support team. Sometimes the world makes no sense.
Been busy doing stuff
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Isn't all group-think innately prone to forms of violence and violent competition with other group-thinkers? Us-versus-them. A territorial drive that spills over into the virtual realms of ideology, religion and pseudo-science. Mentally instable individuals can add any of those to the other voices in their heads.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Isn't all group-think innately prone to forms of violence and violent competition with other group-thinkers? Us-versus-them. A territorial drive that spills over into the virtual realms of ideology, religion and pseudo-science. Mentally instable individuals can add any of those to the other voices in their heads.
Very. very well put Parodite. Perhaps at least 50% of the time, the rest of the time it may create the feeling of common cause that may not exist once the vague terms are further defined.

It is amazing how often people use vague terms Christian, Muslim, Conservative, Liberal, the Left, the Right, etc. that apply to large percentages of the population as if the term could convey a precise definition.

The context of "I agree with _____." or "I hate ____." may or may not be provided by the speaker/author in the accompanying text or speech, or tone of voice or body language. The precise definition may exist only in the mind of the individual speaker/author, but to the audience members it is either an almost meaningless generalization, or each listener/reader provides their own personal definition.

"That inkblot is not a cow, its a butterfly! You durian!" "I think redheads are sexy!" Really? You mean like Scarlett or Jim-Bob?

I recall thinking how incredibly stupid it seemed when the definition of "hate speech" (which can only be defined by the individual listener of course....) started to become a serious(?) topic of conversation. The desire to be offended as a badge that proves one's superior sensibilities......

Perhaps it is time to outlaw "group speech" or "vague speech...." ;)

This quote you previously posted was superb:

"All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is conceptual thinking, the conceptual word, which has so unfortunately divided man."
Jiddu Krishnamurti
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I have only seen a little bit about this story. Did this stupid shithead seriously shoot a bunch of Sikhs on accident because they thought he were Muslim?
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Re: Butter Knife Heroism.......

Post by Enki »

monster_gardener wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Ibrahim.

Hiding is fine.......

Thank you Very Much again for the Thread, Ibrahim.

Latest news is that the Heroic Temple President used a butter knife to defend against the perp allowing others to escape....

May be true........

I believe that he was heroic........... but am a little doubtful about the butter knife...... Could be true.......... but wondering if he really used his kirpan and if the Sikhs and/or the MSM media is trying real hard to spin the Sikhs are pacifists....

I may well be wrong and if he used a butter knife because the kirpan had to be glued down.........even more heroic.....

I think of butter knives as being dull........ unlike steak knives..........

In any case I hope he left a permanent mark on the perp...........

Looks like he may have............
The president of the temple died defending the house of worship he founded.

Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, managed to find a simple butter knife in the temple and stab the gunman before being shot twice, his son said Monday.

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover" in the kitchen, Kaleka said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ontentBody

Know what's even duller than a butter knife? A Bayonet.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote: Or, no -- wait -- it was the shitty music he played.
Man why does the Master race seem to have a Myspace page with only 240p audio quality? You would think that they would have made the jump to at least a Google+ account by now. I mean wow, how are you gonna get anywhere shooting the relatives of your tech support team. Sometimes the world makes no sense.
These hicks are considered untermenschen every much to the degree that their rivals are considered untermenschen by the actual master class. I don't think these guys will ever really understand that. They don't get that when they conduct violence of this kind that they are just small little men who accomplish absolutely nothing. If we were to eliminate all of the races these guys despise, people like him would still be nowhere near the levers of power.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Parodite wrote:Isn't all group-think innately prone to forms of violence and violent competition with other group-thinkers? Us-versus-them. A territorial drive that spills over into the virtual realms of ideology, religion and pseudo-science. Mentally instable individuals can add any of those to the other voices in their heads.
No, it doesn't always lead to violence. Sometimes it is the acts of non-violence that form the group identities of some people. They feel superior specifically because they DON'T kill for their ideology.
-Alexander Hamilton
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I have only seen a little bit about this story. Did this stupid shithead seriously shoot a bunch of Sikhs on accident because they thought he were Muslim?
No he shot them on purpose because he thought that they were Muslim. Did anyone else find it ironic that he killed people who are more Aryan than his pasty cheese eating ass?
Been busy doing stuff
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I have only seen a little bit about this story. Did this stupid shithead seriously shoot a bunch of Sikhs on accident because they thought he were Muslim?
That has been suggested by the media and the Wisconsin Sikhs themselves from the outset, but there is no evidence to that effect. As a neo-Nazi skinhead it should really matter what non-white group he was attacking, though as an ex-member of the US military he may have had an irrational grudge against Muslims generally. In either case the act is the same.

There are several incidents post-9/11 of Americans murdering or assaulting Sikhs under the mistaken impression that they were Muslims.