Canada

A Mari usque ad Mare
Typhoon

Re: Canada

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Another greenhouse effect 8-)
Indeed.

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Let them fight over the refuges. Make them feel like it is back home.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
I've always been both amused and bemused between the social differences between "melting pot" USA and "multicultural" Canada.

USA. Obsession with race, religion, and ethnicity.

Canada. Whatever. We're Canadians.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
I've always been both amused and bemused between the social differences between "melting pot" USA and "multicultural" Canada.

Don't think Canada and the US are so different.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

As an outsider, who lived in the USA, traveled extensively in Canada, I used to think so to until I spent time in both countries.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

As an outsider, who lived in the USA, traveled extensively in Canada, I used to think so to until I spent time in both countries.
I was trying to find an episode of Barney Miller that dealt with the difficulties of foreigners adapting to living in the US. After A long and funny monologue about this one woman that was in the squad room says this is exactly the way she feels as a foriegn (with a US accent) Where are you from she gets asked? "Canada" It was very funny but I couldn't find the video.

Historically Latin Americans consider Americans to be aloof and generally polite. They consider Canadians to be more so on both counts.
The Canadian government has worked very hard to make Canada look different from the US with propaganda on the CBC. For years it was "diversity" and how Canada was the most diverse country in the world. They used to repeat a slogan that went something like "Canada is a special place in its diversity" or something like that anyway. Maybe even true that they are still saying that today. I haven't been there much in the last decade. But major US cities individually are far more diverse than the entire country of Canada. If you said Toronto is the most diverse city on earth I would tend to agree with you. But then again had the French Canadians gotten their way on separatism with Canada missing Quebec and Ontario the mostly likely outcome for the rest of the provinces and territories would have been to try to become part of the US.

Otherwise there is no right to free speech in Canada. Not an absolute one anyway. And like the US, Canada has two left coasts
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Ottawa launches an all-out trade war against Washington.

The WTO complaint suggests the Trudeau government has evolved in its approach , said John Weekes, Canada’s former WTO ambassador and chief Nafta negotiator. “This is really about sending a signal to the Americans that we’re prepared to be tough.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nat Post | Judging by the throne speech, Canada is en route to a train wreck
In policy terms, almost every sentence of the address was a disaster