At least 27 die in school shooting in Connecticut | 1

Farcus

Re: At least 27 die in school shooting in Connecticut

Post by Farcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Guns are like seatbelts Farcus, the less you have to use them the more you celebrate.

One doesn't stop wearing a seatbelt just because you haven't used one.

For example, I have never been in a car accident, at all. Surely you wouldn't suggest that I should stop wearing a seatbelt.
Only if you want to get out of your car...

Do you drive around with a Bushmaster strapped to your lap?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Had to look up this rifle with the amusing name:

Bushmaster

Haven't followed this debate much, but is this a type of rifle one would use for hunting?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Typhoon wrote:Had to look up this rifle with the amusing name:

Bushmaster

Haven't followed this debate much, but is this a type of rifle one would use for hunting?
It fires a projectile, so you could. Then again, you could also use a screeching NEBS server as a desktop computer...

This, in a suitable caliber, is much better suited for big game hunting:

Americans have a right to keep and use arms. No one has to have or show a 'need' for any legal firearm. American gun owners laugh at people who try to tell them what they 'need' to do X or Y.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Bushmaster

Lots of guys hunt with such rifles up here, Typhoon. They are nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle in a non-traditional configuration/platform. Military versions are, of course, capable of full-auto fire. Civilian versions are semi-auto only . . one must pull the trigger for each round fired.

Far as I know, the "assault" platform came about in Viet Nam, and its "assault" image is only a matter of perception. Strictly speaking, "assault" rifles are nothing more than a semi-auto rifle.

Back to hunting with them: semi-auto is practically confined to smaller calibers simply because of the recoil associated with large calibers. AR-platform rifles are largely used by varmint and smaller animal hunters, i.e., deer, caribou, lynx, etc. Large caliber rifles, e.g., .30+ caliber magnums, are still largely bolt-action and are used for bigger game such as moose and brown bear.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Farcus

Weapons are not sporting arms.

Post by Farcus »

Automatic weapons are outlawed for hunting in every state in the US.
Semiautomatic rifles, shotguns, and pistols are outlawed for hunting in several US states.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg (186.44 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

Here you go, CS . . the 'bou was shot by the kid's dad using the rifle in the photo . . if you need verification, PM me . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:[attachment]a boy with a machine gun and a dead cow[/attachment]

Here you go, CS . . the 'bou was shot by the kid's dad using the rifle in the photo . . if you need verification, PM me . .

Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game sez:
2012-2013 Alaska Hunting Regulations wrote:
You MAY NOT take game by:

Using a machine gun, set gun, or shotgun larger than 10
gauge.

• Using poison or other substances that temporarily
incapacitates wildlife, without written permission from the
Board of Game.

• Using a crossbow in a restricted weapons hunt, EXCEPT:
--you may use a crossbow in any hunt that does not
restrict weapons. For big game, minimum standards are listed
on page 19.

• Using a bow that shoots more than one arrow at a time.

• Using a pit, fire, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night
vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite
telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas
arrow, bomb, smoke
, deer urine, elk urine, or chemicals,...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regul ... eneral.pdf

Here you go, CS. . this server can run onthenatureofthings.net . . if you need verification, PM me . .
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

bou.jpg
bou.jpg (176.23 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

Another for you, CS . . taken with an AR platform rifle . .

• Bet Ib's fit to be tied by now . . all these pictures of guys with guns . . :lol:
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:
bou.jpg

Another for you, CS . . taken with an AR platform rifle . .

... :lol:

These children were taken with an AR platform rifle in Newtown, Conn on December 14, 2012:

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:. . is this a type of rifle one would use for hunting?
A little more follow-up on your question, CS:

As noted a lot of guys use AR platform rifles for hunting . . they are functionally no different than any other semi-auto firearm. Here's some perspective on why AR rifles are usually of small caliber:
. . its not so much a caliber/cartridge issue as a weight and reliability issue- higher powered cartridges generally take a heavier/more complex mechanisms and semi autos are (generally) less reliable in field conditions than a bolt or lever action. When you get to the .300WM/.338WM there are only two commonly available semi autos- the BAR and the Benelli R1. In the .308 class you have the AR10 type but they typically weigh 10lbs. There have been a number of semi autos from Remington and Winchester in the .308/.3006 class, although they have a much smaller market share than those companies bolt action offerings. —from the Alaska forum
Lots of know-nothing idiots/weenies have their tits in a wringer over the AR platform simply because they don't know or are so functionally illiterate as to not be able to discern the difference between "with" and "by."

Acts of violence are committed by nut-cases, sometimes with an AR platform firearm, sometimes not. The only difference between an AR platform rifle and any other semi-auto rifle is only a matter of perception. Nothing more.
fox.jpg
fox.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Farcus

Perceptions are not enshrined in 2A.

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote: The only difference between an AR platform rifle and any other semi-auto rifle is only a matter of perception. Nothing more.
So then an assault weapons ban would only infringe on perceptions, not civil liberties. ;)
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:. . is this a type of rifle one would use for hunting?

As noted a lot of guys use AR platform rifles for hunting . . .
fox.jpg

Is fox as good to eat as cat and dog?
Demon of Undoing

Re: Perceptions are not enshrined in 2A.

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Farcus wrote:
Marcus wrote: The only difference between an AR platform rifle and any other semi-auto rifle is only a matter of perception. Nothing more.
So then an assault weapons ban would only infringe on perceptions, not civil liberties. ;)
No, actually, it would infringe on the second amendment, as there is no middle ground contained therein.

And BTW, FU right in the ass for the pics of the kids. I don't care if I'm on fire and talking to you kicks on the sprinklers, you'l never get a shred of serious consideration out of me ever again, i assure you. You're a piece of lavender irrespective of rhetorical arguments( and once again, this one is weak in addition to being tasteless).

Here's to hoping for a nice case of herpes for you and yours.

Dick.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Farcus wrote: Only if you want to get out of your car...

Do you drive around with a Bushmaster strapped to your lap?
No, why would I? Why would you ask such a question.
Censorship isn't necessary
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Well, I see F****p is up to his usual tricks. Had noticed that he was posting following my posts but have him on Ignore.

Tell you what, F, you go back and delete whatever has so offended JN, PM me your word to behave like some sort of gentleman, and I'll take you off Ignore to see what you've been saying and maybe reply.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Bushmaster

Absolutely. I plan on such a hunt this year.

pVecBww1vcE
planctom

Post by planctom »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Farcus wrote:
No, actually, it would infringe on the second amendment, as there is no middle ground contained therein.

And BTW, FU right in the ass for the pics of the kids. I don't care if I'm on fire and talking to you kicks on the sprinklers, you'l never get a shred of serious consideration out of me ever again, i assure you. You're a piece of lavender irrespective of rhetorical arguments( and once again, this one is weak in addition to being tasteless).

Dick.
seconded, you show no respect for the dead children.
Mr. Perfect

Re:

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Farcus wrote: Is fox as good to eat as cat and dog?
Foxes will eat your cats and dogs.
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Farcus wrote:
I don't remember 2A mentioning perceptions?
And Marcus doesn't really do original thought. The "Perceptions" argument has been an NRA talking point for decades. He parroted it almost verbatim.

And BTW, FU right in the ass for the pics of the kids. I don't care if I'm on fire and talking to you kicks on the sprinklers, you're a piece of lavender irrespective of rhetorical arguments( and once again, this one is weak in addition to being tasteless).

Dick.

Go collect your composure, kid. And tell your buddy to lay off posting gore in a school shooting thread. Despicable.
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

planctom wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:
Farcus wrote:

Dick.
seconded, you show no respect for the dead children.
FckU2. That's exactly what this thread's about. Not hunting gore.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Marcus wrote:

As noted a lot of guys use AR platform rifles for hunting . . they are functionally no different than any other semi-auto firearm. Here's some perspective on why AR rifles are usually of small caliber:
Yes. Overall gun size is a function of ergonomics and engineering. Heavy caliber guns (rifle or handgun) are ramped up in size to absorb recoil and survive internal pressures. As a result their are a wide variety of gun sizes on the market. Right now (and I stress right now, it wasn't that long ago we were using the larger M16) the M4/AR platform is in vogue for a variety of reasons relating to it's overall size but will likely be phased out in the future as new ideas continue to come out.
Lots of know-nothing idiots/weenies have their tits in a wringer over the AR platform simply because they don't know or are so functionally illiterate as to not be able to discern the difference between "with" and "by."

Acts of violence are committed by nut-cases, sometimes with an AR platform firearm, sometimes not. The only difference between an AR platform rifle and any other semi-auto rifle is only a matter of perception. Nothing more.
Yes. And to add AR rifles are only used in a few percent, as in 1-3% of murders in any given year. Your child is more likely to be struck by lightning than be murdered or shot in a school.
Marcus

Re: Re:

Post by Marcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Is that what he said? Tell him we shoot foxes to save the wittle wabbits . . ;)

Seriously, foxes are trapped and hunted for their pelts, which bring good money.

Lynx are hunted and trapped primarily for fur, but most eat the lynx as well . . considered prime eating up here.

Predator hunting is done primarily by calling.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:. . Heavy caliber guns (rifle or handgun) are ramped up in size to absorb recoil and survive internal pressures.
When guiding years ago, I carried a Win. Model 70, 28" barrel, originally chambered to .300 H&H mag. which the previous owner had chambered out to .300 Weatherby mag . . gun weighed 11 pounds.

You put a 220 grain round in that sucker . . . :shock:
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Yes. Overall gun size is a function of ergonomics and engineering. Heavy caliber guns (rifle or handgun) are ramped up in size to absorb recoil and survive internal pressures. As a result their are a wide variety of gun sizes on the market. Right now (and I stress right now, it wasn't that long ago we were using the larger M16) the M4/AR platform is in vogue for a variety of reasons relating to it's overall size but will likely be phased out in the future as new ideas continue to come out.

Yes. And to add AR rifles are only used in a few percent, as in 1-3% of murders in any given year. Your child is more likely to be struck by lightning than be murdered or shot in a school.
Or at home. Law-abiding citizens buy AR-types primarily for low-skills entertainment. And because they can. One must extensively modify an AR lower to make it even remotely competitive with calibers and actions that were commonplace long before the AR and 5.56 NATO was ever though of.

The two most common complaints of professional Alaska guides are hunters who are not in good physical condition and hunters who cannot accurately shoot their rifles. Because these hunters do not practice enough they cannot shoot accurately enough. They miss their best chance at taking their dream animal or worse yet, they wound and lose an animal. Most experienced guides prefer that a hunter come to camp with a .270 or .30-06 rifle they can shoot well rather than a shiny new magnum that has been fired just enough to get sighted-in. If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler® or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement. Only consider using a .300, .338 or larger magnum if you can shoot it as well as you can the .30-06.

It is very popular now to purchase large magnum rifles equipped with a muzzle brake. Most muzzle brakes are very effective at reducing recoil. A .375 magnum with a muzzle brake recoils much like a .30-06. Before convincing yourself that you should use a muzzle-braked rifle, consider its disadvantages. A muzzle-brake increases the muzzle blast and noise to levels that quickly damage the ear. Even when just sighting in or practicing, everyone near you at the range will find the blast and noise bothersome. Anyone near the muzzle brake when the rifle is fired may suffer hearing loss or physical damage to the ear. You cannot wear ear protection when you are hunting and neither can your hunting partners or guide. An increasing number of guides will not allow a hunter to use a muzzle brake because of the danger of hearing loss.
Rifle Weight Reduces Recoil

Rather than rely on a muzzle-brake to reduce recoil, use a rifle heavy enough to reduce recoil. If you are planning on packing out moose meat, caribou meat, or a brown bear hide weighing hundreds of pounds, you can carry a 9- to 11-pound rifle including scope. A rifle of this weight in .300 or .338 magnum can be mastered with a lot of practice. You can also avoid using a muzzle-brake by selecting a cartridge that you can shoot comfortably and enjoy shooting enough to practice with frequently. For most hunters, the upper limit of recoil is the .30-06 or 7mm Remington Magnum®. A majority of hunters are more comfortable with a .308 or .270.
Recommended Type of Action

If you are choosing a rifle for hunting in Alaska, you should strongly consider a modern bolt action rifle made of stainless steel bedded in a synthetic stock. A bolt action is recommended because it is mechanically simple, can be partially disassembled in the field for cleaning, and is the most reliable action under poor weather conditions. Stainless steel is excellent for most Alaska hunting because it resists rust caused by rain or snow. However, stainless steel will rust with time so must be maintained after each day of field use.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... g.firearms
Farcus

Re: Re:

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:

Is that what he said? Tell him we shoot foxes to save the wittle wabbits . . ;)
Predator control is an indifferent method of game management [farming], especially of sub-apex predators with a large prey base [like rabbits].

Seriously, foxes are trapped and hunted for their pelts, which bring good money.
You better not do that with a hunting license in Alaska (or any other state). It's a violation of State law to sell a game animal or any parts of a game animal.
You can trap, kill, and sell furbearers iff you have a trapping license and sell the hides to a licensed fur buyer. If he ships the fur out of the country, he must be a licensed fur exporter.

Lynx are hunted and trapped primarily for fur, but most eat the lynx as well . . considered prime eating up here.

Predator hunting is done primarily by calling.
Those were 2 red lynxes? They look like dead foxes. You were talking about sport hunting.
What do you do with the rest of the dead fox after you take the pretty fur? Do you eat it, or throw it away? I know you don't feed it to your dogs...
Last edited by Farcus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.