U.S. Foreign Policy

Heracleum Persicum

Re: Elites claim "America in Retreat"

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-sends-m ... 15620.html
Iran sends a message with missile strike in Syria

From above link :

" Riyadh must know that all of its oil regions are within the range of Iranian missiles," he said.

Would hate now being "short Oil" .. Brent @ $ 45.

Mr. Perfect, you in "option" business, maybe time to buy some "calls"

Sheikhs already with one foot out of the door. :lol:

Heracleum Persicum

Heracleum Persicum

Like Rome,
America Ripe for Tyranny

:lol: :lol: .. folks, a good reading

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Like Rome,
America Ripe for Tyranny

For a potential tyrant, Trump is certainly having trouble implementing his agenda either by legislation or executive decree.

If there is one thing that America appears ripe for then it is political gridlock.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

Like Rome,
America Ripe for Tyranny

For a potential tyrant, Trump is certainly having trouble implementing his agenda either by legislation or executive decree.

If there is one thing that America appears ripe for then it is political gridlock.
Sweet and delicious gridlock..... :) Anytime one party gains the upper hand, they either fall prey to infighting, or they implement their agenda and rapidly get voted back into a minority party. Merikans love underdogs!

Repubs may have finally found the secret to permanent majority status.

By making their case against (HAHAHA) govt control of the health care industry so poorly since 2008, I suspect they will be tarred and feathered with the health care disaster brush for many years.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

As long as the filibuster and other antique parliamentary routines continue, only the permanent government gets a majority.

Any work falling under the usually risible "bi-partisan" jargon is just shorthand for "making sure to spread the blame for the swindle". :)
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

Like Rome,
America Ripe for Tyranny

Most nasty "Tyranny" is the creeping one .. takes time .. bit by bit the safeguards are "dismantled", other-thinkers pushed out .. things become "redefined" .. leading to changing of mindset, ethics and and .. bad things become the "norm"

Already happening

Typhoon

Re: U.S. Foreign Policy

Post by Typhoon »

The Week | Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly last Thursday for new sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea, days after their House counterparts had also done so.

Remarkable how some in the US are so eager to become involved in the Muddled East's sectarian war between Sunni and Shia Muslims.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:The Week | Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly last Thursday for new sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea, days after their House counterparts had also done so.

Remarkable how some in the US are so eager to become involved in the Muddled East's sectarian war between Sunni and Shia Muslims.
The AIPAC/SA alliance peeks out again.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:The Week | Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly last Thursday for new sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea, days after their House counterparts had also done so.

In that case, the alliance has cost the US trillions of dollars and the lives of many soldiers without any tangible benefit for the US.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

In that case, the alliance has cost the US trillions of dollars and the lives of many soldiers without any tangible benefit for the US.
being in control of the oil market, the money market and making trillions of dollars in millitary contracts is probably considered the tangible benefit - its truly hard to quantify what is costs and what is investment in all that money.

some also like to argue that the known-known of saudi sponsored terrorism is a less of a worry than what comes after its collapse.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

The petrodollar was a tangible world-class benefit. Probably the best benefit ever. Now that it is mortally wounded and SA is running out of oil the various factions in the ME are starting to appear.

The Russian sanctions will expose EU factions, and the Iran/NK sanctions will reveal something about China ( no idea what). Not even a hint from Britain and how they figure into everything.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Pat Buchanan
Trump’s Russia Policy Being Hijacked

In crafting the platform in Cleveland on which Donald Trump would run, America Firsters inflicted a major defeat on the War Party.

The platform committee rejected a plank to pull us deeper into Ukraine, by successfully opposing new U.S. arms transfers to Kiev.

Improved relations with Russia were what candidate Trump had promised, and what Americans would vote for in November.

Yet, this week, The Wall Street Journal reports:

“The U.S. Pentagon and State Department have devised plans to supply Ukraine with antitank missiles and other weaponry and are seeking White House approval … as Kiev battles Russia-backed separatists … Defense Secretary Mattis has endorsed the plan.”

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

being in control of the oil market, the money market and making trillions of dollars in millitary contracts is probably considered the tangible benefit - its truly hard to quantify what is costs and what is investment in all that money.

some also like to argue that the known-known of saudi sponsored terrorism is a less of a worry than what comes after its collapse.
I'm a bit skeptical.

US Weapons Exports End 2016 at $33.6 Billion

Not quite trillions compared to the costs of the Iraq war and ongoing Afghan war.

The war in Afghanistan has so far cost $33,000 per citizen. And will not end well.

The Afghan War Doesn't Need to Be Privatized—It Needs to Be Ended
The cost would be $10 billion a year rather than the $40 billion we pay annually now.
By comparison, the underwear gnomes business plan is a work of genius.

The US today is self sufficient in fossil fuels.

As for Saudi Arabia, hard to imagine how the situation in the Muddled East could get worse with the regime's collapse.