U.S. Foreign Policy

Typhoon

Re: U.S. Foreign Policy

Post by Typhoon »

It's the Muddled East.

Everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

Selecting one incident is from countless many is special pleading.

The main US contribution has been instability, chaos, and death.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:It's the Muddled East.

Everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

Selecting one incident is from countless many is special pleading.

The main US contribution has been instability, chaos, and death.
So why do we have a thread titled "US foreign policy" when it should be very clear to one and all that this Administration hasn't got one?
Last edited by Doc on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

VA state Senator Richard Black

0VgWiHQi81k
gBTH1O_pIvE
cQMw5iFiKCo

Turkey and Saudi Arabia are the bad guys .. not Iran

Alexis

Facing the new Thirty Years War

Post by Alexis »

American strategist William S. Lind argues what is the correct strategy for America (*) regarding the new Thirty Years War which is beginning in the Middle East.

The form is humouristic: Lind phones to the late German emperor William II in Heaven and asks him for the advices of the participants to the original Thirty Years War (1618-1648). But the content is serious.
“It’s all coming back again, this time in the Middle East. The clock is running backward. What vanished when the state arose is returning as the state declines.

(...)

The Kaiser said in the silence, “I’ve got a Herr Hofkriegsrat from the 21st century on the line. What would you advise Europe, Russia, and America do in the new Thirty Years’ War among the Saracens?”

After a brief pause, all the assembled worthies shouted with one voice, “Keep it local!

Olivares explained. “If you want to understand America today, look to the Spain I knew. Spain went from the greatest power in the world to a defeated, bankrupt wreck in 50 years. America is on the same course, and about the same timetable. When Spain and the other Catholic powers won at Nördlingen, I proclaimed it ‘The greatest victory of the age!’ That was rephrased in your time as ‘Mission Accomplised.’ In both cases, it was the beginning of disaster. If you would learn from us, stay out! Let the worshippers of Mohammed kill each other. It need be none of your affair.

Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden chimed in. “I agree with the distinguished Count-Duke. But I would add, if outside powers insist on getting involved, as they are doing, make sure the clashes between them occur on someone else’s soil. That is something we did fairly well. It wrecked Germany, but it did not wreck all of Europe, except of course financially. Confine your duels to the lists. For outside powers, it is all a joust anyway.”

“If I may add something”–the voice was Wallenstein’s–“what you are seeing in your time is the return of Real War. Real War is what we knew; your pretty little armies know it not. Real War comes riding with Plague, Famine, and Death. Populations sink to a fraction of their pre-war size. Civilians are targets as much or more than soldiers. You will discover reasons for the cry, ‘Magdeburg quarter!’ You will have its equivalents–‘ISIS quarter!’ is a start.”

Kaiser Wilhelm said to me sotto voce, “The Holy Roman Emperor is about to speak!”

“Fellow Christians,” he began. “Let us set our revels aside for a moment, if we may. What faces Christendom now is grave. Our Thirty Years’ War began as a war of religion and ended up a war among states. That was a very good thing. States, motivated solely, as they should be, by raison d’etat, can act rationally. They can compromise. They can limit war. They can count the cost of war, in thalers or dollars, and keep the peace because war does not pay.”

In the 21st century, the movement is in the other direction. What begins as wars between states, as in President George W. Bush’s war with Iraq–America, your presidents are a powerful argument for monarchy!–turns into wars of religion. Men believe their eternal salvation is at stake. In such a matter there can be no reason, no compromise, no counting of costs. Wars of belief are by their nature unlimited. As my servant General Wallenstein said–remember, Wally old chap, you are my servant–such wars are Real War. God help those peoples upon whom Real War descends.

(*) by extension, also for other countries outside the Middle East
Doc

Post by Doc »

?

Indeed When will the Ecuadorian President and Ambassador to Britain set Assange free? Enough already give him the boot !!!
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
?

Indeed When will the Ecuadorian President and Ambassador to Britain set Assange free? Enough already give him the boot !!!

Assange on the short list for "Nobel Price"

If so, what next, Doc :lol:

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Nobel No Bell Piece Prize Price........

Post by monster_gardener »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Doc wrote:
?

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.......
So was "I'm really good at killing people" obama..........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 08815.html

Better to pay attention to the hard science Nobel Prizes.......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Nobel No Bell Piece Prize Price........

monster_gardener wrote:
Doc wrote:
?

Better to pay attention to the hard science Nobel Prizes ......

Looks, you agree with Ayatollahs, Monster

mad mullahs too say "Nobel Price" rubbish

For sure it "political" .. question remains, good or bad ? ?

Doc

Re: Nobel No Bell Piece Prize Price........

Post by Doc »

monster_gardener wrote:
Doc wrote:
?

Better to pay attention to the hard science Nobel Prizes ......

Looks, you agree with Ayatollahs, Monster

mad mullahs too say "Nobel Price" rubbish

For sure it "political" .. question remains, good or bad ? ?

They are just jealous because they didn't get one. But even though they have killed lots of people they just need to be patient I am sure they will receive one from the Nobel committee sooner or later.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Exclusive: U.S. Allies Now Fighting CIA-Backed Rebels

Iraqi militias who once fought ISIS with U.S. help are now working with Russian and Iranian forces to crush American-backed rebels in the strategic Syrian city of Aleppo, two defense officials have told The Daily Beast.

At least three Shia militias involved in successful battles against ISIS in Iraq—the Badr Brigade, Kata’ib Hezbollah, and the League of the Righteous—have acknowledged taking casualties in fighting in south and southeast Aleppo province. U.S. defense officials confirmed to The Daily Beast that they believe “at least one” unit of the Badr Brigade is fighting in southern Aleppo alongside other Iraqi militia groups. Those groups are backed by Russian airpower and Iranian troops—and all of whom are bolstering President Bashar al Assad’s Syrian Arab Army.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:
Exclusive: U.S. Allies Now Fighting CIA-Backed Rebels

Iraqi militias who once fought ISIS with U.S. help are now working with Russian and Iranian forces to crush American-backed rebels in the strategic Syrian city of Aleppo, two defense officials have told The Daily Beast.

At least three Shia militias involved in successful battles against ISIS in Iraq—the Badr Brigade, Kata’ib Hezbollah, and the League of the Righteous—have acknowledged taking casualties in fighting in south and southeast Aleppo province. U.S. defense officials confirmed to The Daily Beast that they believe “at least one” unit of the Badr Brigade is fighting in southern Aleppo alongside other Iraqi militia groups. Those groups are backed by Russian airpower and Iranian troops—and all of whom are bolstering President Bashar al Assad’s Syrian Arab Army.

[...]
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://audioboom.com/boos/4226766-turk ... -jerusalem
Turkey Artillery Targeting Russian Advisers in Syria. Aaron Klein, Breitbart Jerusalem.

(Photo: Artillery stationed at a Turkish army position near the Oncupinar crossing gate close to the town of Kilis, south central Turkey, fire towards the Syria ...)

Turkey Artillery Targeting Russian Advisers in Syria. Aaron Klein, Breitbart Jerusalem.

"Russia has called on international human rights organizations to appraise Turkish artillery shelling inside the Syria territory, denouncing as illegal Ankara’s military campaign in the crisis-hit Arab country. Russia’s Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov made the request in a statement released on Wednesday. "Near-border settlements are shelled form large caliber artillery weapons from Turkish territory.… We request Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Doctors Without Borders and other organizations to give their official assessment to these criminal actions of the Turkish armed forces," Konashenkov said. Over the past few days, Turkey has been shelling the positions of fighters of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and its affiliated Democratic Union Party (PYD) in the northern parts of Syria.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY, JR

http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/09/21/ ... me-for-it/
Update: Video: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Wants To Jail His Political Opponents – Accuses Koch Brothers of ‘Treason’ – ‘They ought to be serving time for it’
Heracleum Persicum

How women, and an app, shaped Iran’s elections

The reformist/moderate success was shaped by preexisting networks of people and activists, coupled with online organizing via social media platforms — mainly Instagram and Facebook — and the secure chat application, Telegram.

One key preexisting network was the women’s rights movement.

Women’s organizations began organizing for the elections in November by releasing videos encouraging women to register as candidates and pushing for a 30 percent increase in seats for women, through “The Campaign for Women to Win 100 Seats.”

Significantly, these efforts featured activists from across the political spectrum coming together for one goal: to gain seats for women who would fight for pro-equality gender issues.

The women’s movement in Iran has been the longest and most sustained movement for change in the Islamic Republic. The plethora of activists that make up this movement have longstanding networks that function both online and offline. Activists tapped into these networks and, despite the rampant disqualifications by the Guardian Council, the new Parliament will feature more than double the previous number of female MPs, nearly all from the moderate/reformist coalition.

“What women in the movement were able to do as far as pushing women to run as candidates in this election cannot be understated,” said Elnaz Hosseini, a 40-year-old activist who has been involved with various groups in the women’s movement for the past 20 years. In Tehran, all eight women from the Rouhani “List of Hope” have been elected, as well as women from other major cities.

Another prominent network was the plethora of activists, journalists, student leaders and reformists pushed into exile after the suppression of the 2009 Green Movement.

With deep organizing experience, these people are now spread out across Europe, North America and Australia, but have maintained strong ties to their networks in Iran.

Using their Facebook pages and participating in the vibrant media sphere of the Iranian diaspora – from online news sites to over two-dozen satellite stations broadcast daily into Iran – these activists were crucial in encouraging strong voter turnout. They created online memes, catchy graphics to be used as profile pictures, stickers for chatting applications and short videos to create excitement about the vote and the potential of sidelining the hard-liners. Their organizing experience, especially from campaigning during the 2009 presidential elections, and their ability to tap into their networks should not be underestimated. Their efforts were so effective as to provoke hard-line newspapers and news agencies to denounce the List of Hope as a British-led effort to foment unrest in Iran.

Using cellphones to spread political messages is not new in Iran — the 2009 Green Movement featured massive circulation of recorded cellphone footage and messaging to spread the updated information about the protests. Yet the subsequent government crackdown on Internet service and the surveillance of online sites by Iran’s cyber army continue to haunt many Iranians.

Telegram, however, with its “Secret Chat” options, offers end-to-end encryption, leaving no trace on the company’s servers and ensuring fast and secure communication.

Unlike text messaging on Iran’s telecommunications servers in 2009, these third-party apps are not threatened by government surveillance. There are thousands of chats on Telegram dedicated to the elections, from those created by domestic reformist newspapers and groups, to civil society and student leaders. These chats serve as channels through which groups can get out their message in a secure way to users. Telegram was used extensively in Iran in the lead-up to the election, including stickers of Khatami reminding users to vote.

Woman in front of changes in Iran .. mad mullahs "powerless" against woman .. things snowballing .. Newly elected Iranian woman Parliamentarians proposing legislation to make "Hejab" voluntary .. and, changing family laws.

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YMix

Post by YMix »

[...]

Notably, after the deposition of Qaddafi in 2011, both Libyan fighters and leaders found their way to Syria in bulk. Solidarity with Sunni Islam against another apostate potentate undoubtedly played a role, but the United States was apparently anxious to give the US-backed civilian government of Mustafa Abdul Jalil some breathing space.

Abdul Hakim Belhadj, one of the renditioned Islamists, a veteran commander who received planeloads of aid from Qatar, whose Tripoli Brigade had broken through to the capital, occupied it, and administered it, and hoped to become Minister of Defense in the new order, was instead encouraged to take his talents to Syria—via Turkey on a ship with 400 tons of munitions. By early 2012, the US and GCC had responded to the collapse of the local Syrian democratic revolution by turning unambiguously to a strategy of foreign-supported insurrection using imported Islamist muscle and supplying them in part through the Libya ratline described by Seymour Hersh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was regarded as the cleverest of clever tricks: channeling Libyan fighters to Syria where they would become Assad’s headache instead of our headache: two birds with one stone!

Libyan fighters established a significant presence in Syria, providing training to inexperienced locals as well as serving as a fighting force eventually organized as the Katibat al-Battar brigade. The brigade provided a home for a variety of European militants (the Libyan dialect is intelligible to the European descendants of Moroccan and Algerian immigrants who form the backbone of the radical Islamic groups in France and Belgium). Its Euro-alumni formed the core of the group that perpetrated the Paris outrage in November 2015.

How’s that for blowback?

Understandably, the idea that the Paris attackers were nurtured by the same bunch we used to overthrow Gaddafi and then shipped to Syria in a clever little trick is a little too much bitter moral culpability to sweeten the West’s morning café au lait, so the Libyan angle is downplayed to emphasize the role of big bad ISIS to an almost ludicrous degree.

[...]
http://www.unz.com/plee/libya-worse-tha ... y-hillary/
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

YMix wrote:
[...]

Notably, after the deposition of Qaddafi in 2011, both Libyan fighters and leaders found their way to Syria in bulk. Solidarity with Sunni Islam against another apostate potentate undoubtedly played a role, but the United States was apparently anxious to give the US-backed civilian government of Mustafa Abdul Jalil some breathing space.

Abdul Hakim Belhadj, one of the renditioned Islamists, a veteran commander who received planeloads of aid from Qatar, whose Tripoli Brigade had broken through to the capital, occupied it, and administered it, and hoped to become Minister of Defense in the new order, was instead encouraged to take his talents to Syria—via Turkey on a ship with 400 tons of munitions. By early 2012, the US and GCC had responded to the collapse of the local Syrian democratic revolution by turning unambiguously to a strategy of foreign-supported insurrection using imported Islamist muscle and supplying them in part through the Libya ratline described by Seymour Hersh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was regarded as the cleverest of clever tricks: channeling Libyan fighters to Syria where they would become Assad’s headache instead of our headache: two birds with one stone!

Libyan fighters established a significant presence in Syria, providing training to inexperienced locals as well as serving as a fighting force eventually organized as the Katibat al-Battar brigade. The brigade provided a home for a variety of European militants (the Libyan dialect is intelligible to the European descendants of Moroccan and Algerian immigrants who form the backbone of the radical Islamic groups in France and Belgium). Its Euro-alumni formed the core of the group that perpetrated the Paris outrage in November 2015.

How’s that for blowback?

Understandably, the idea that the Paris attackers were nurtured by the same bunch we used to overthrow Gaddafi and then shipped to Syria in a clever little trick is a little too much bitter moral culpability to sweeten the West’s morning café au lait, so the Libyan angle is downplayed to emphasize the role of big bad ISIS to an almost ludicrous degree.

[...]

http://www.unz.com/plee/libya-worse-tha ... y-hillary/

. . when the US pitched in to “lead from behind” and destroy the Libyan state at Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s urging . .

And she wants to be president :lol: :lol:

She swimming in blood of Libyans

Heracleum Persicum

U.S. official says
U.S. held talks with Iran about Iraq's future ahead of the 2003 invasion

. . former U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad says the previously undisclosed talks were held in Geneva and resulted in Iran promising not to fire at American warplanes . .

:lol:

Heracleum Persicum

I’m Gonna Miss This President
When He’s Gone

Like President Eisenhower, Obama will likely leave office on a note of caution to future administrations – but one that implicitly admits his failure to address a central problem in making foreign policy that he only belatedly understood. Like President Eisenhower, that hard-won wisdom is all but certain to be ignored by his successor, who will likely be either a full-throated liberal interventionist or an erratic, impulsive nationalist.

I am going to miss him very much, no matter who follows.

Best president America had last 100 yrs.

Why I Won’t Miss Obama

While Obama’s foreign policy has been compared to Eisenhower’s by more than a few people, Obama has failed to do the one thing that clearly distinguishes Eisenhower from his predecessor and several of his successors: concluding the existing war(s) and avoiding new ones. This has supposedly been Obama’s preoccupation throughout his presidency, and he has often boasted about ending America’s foreign wars, but it hasn’t happened. He has not only failed to conclude the U.S. role in the war in Afghanistan, but has started at least two new military interventions and routinized the waging of perpetual, unauthorized war in many countries during both of his terms.

To add insult to injury, the president often talks about his aversion to perpetual war at the same time that he involves the U.S. in new and occasionally open-ended conflicts. His administration has twisted the meaning of existing authorizations of force to justify this illegal warfare, and his officials have even denied that the U.S. was engaged in hostilities in Libya when our planes were bombing that country’s government. The U.S. is now once again bombing targets in Libya with no debate or authorization in response to the problems that the previous unauthorized Libyan intervention helped to create. Congress has scarcely ever been less involved in the decisions about where and when the U.S. goes to war overseas. That is the gift that Obama gives to his successors, none of whom is likely to be any more scrupulous about Congressional war powers than Obama has been.

Obama has tossed aside the last few restrictions that theoretically limited presidential war-making, and this has been greeted with a collective shrug by most members of both parties. Congressional abdication enables Obama to do this, but he’s still the one doing it. The longer-term significance of the Syria debate in 2013 has been that Obama learned not to seek Congress’ approval for military action. For that reason, he launched the intervention in Iraq and Syria in 2014 without bothering with a debate or vote in Congress. Future presidents will almost certainly draw the same lesson that they should just start wars without seeking approval on the assumption that Congress will never have the courage or wisdom to halt them once they have already begun.

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heracleum Persicum

"In order to really fight terrorism,
the Saudis must declare war against themselves . .

:lol:

When Riyadh announced the military alliance on December 15, several of the countries listed as joining or invited seemed surprised.

Indonesia's Foreign Ministry said it had been invited to join a "center to coordinate against extremism and terrorism," not a military alliance.

Lebanon's Foreign Ministry denied having knowledge of Saudi Arabia's creation of an Islamic antiterrorism coalition.

Pakistani Foreign Secretary Aizaz Chaudhry was quoted in the daily newspaper Dawn as saying he had been surprised to read of Islamabad's inclusion.

Heracleum Persicum

Neoconservativism in a Nutshell

Right @ the money

monster_gardener

Linkage..........

Neoconservativism in a Nutshell

Right @ the money

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari..........

Please post better a link.........

Don't like links that hide what they are and/or take so long that one suspects malware........

And per Mr. Perfect, an excerpt might be nice too........
monster_gardener

Plenty Better........

I’m Gonna Miss This President
When He’s Gone

Like President Eisenhower, Obama will likely leave office on a note of caution to future administrations – but one that implicitly admits his failure to address a central problem in making foreign policy that he only belatedly understood. Like President Eisenhower, that hard-won wisdom is all but certain to be ignored by his successor, who will likely be either a full-throated liberal interventionist or an erratic, impulsive nationalist.

I am going to miss him very much, no matter who follows.

Why I Won’t Miss Obama

While Obama’s foreign policy has been compared to Eisenhower’s by more than a few people, Obama has failed to do the one thing that clearly distinguishes Eisenhower from his predecessor and several of his successors: concluding the existing war(s) and avoiding new ones. This has supposedly been Obama’s preoccupation throughout his presidency, and he has often boasted about ending America’s foreign wars, but it hasn’t happened. He has not only failed to conclude the U.S. role in the war in Afghanistan, but has started at least two new military interventions and routinized the waging of perpetual, unauthorized war in many countries during both of his terms.

To add insult to injury, the president often talks about his aversion to perpetual war at the same time that he involves the U.S. in new and occasionally open-ended conflicts. His administration has twisted the meaning of existing authorizations of force to justify this illegal warfare, and his officials have even denied that the U.S. was engaged in hostilities in Libya when our planes were bombing that country’s government. The U.S. is now once again bombing targets in Libya with no debate or authorization in response to the problems that the previous unauthorized Libyan intervention helped to create. Congress has scarcely ever been less involved in the decisions about where and when the U.S. goes to war overseas. That is the gift that Obama gives to his successors, none of whom is likely to be any more scrupulous about Congressional war powers than Obama has been.

Obama has tossed aside the last few restrictions that theoretically limited presidential war-making, and this has been greeted with a collective shrug by most members of both parties. Congressional abdication enables Obama to do this, but he’s still the one doing it. The longer-term significance of the Syria debate in 2013 has been that Obama learned not to seek Congress’ approval for military action. For that reason, he launched the intervention in Iraq and Syria in 2014 without bothering with a debate or vote in Congress. Future presidents will almost certainly draw the same lesson that they should just start wars without seeking approval on the assumption that Congress will never have the courage or wisdom to halt them once they have already begun.

Thank you Very much for your post, Azari,
Nope..........

We've had plenty better......... Both Democrat & Republican............

He's been an Arrogant, Bloviating, Lying Son of a Bitch Eating Divider of the Nation & Globalist Protector of Banksters* among other things......

On the other hand...........

For Iran .......... Maybe........ ;)

*Like Hillary is likely to be :roll: ........