The eternal US elections - 2016 edition

Simple Minded

Re: The eternal US elections - 2016 edition

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:My wife's family is Italian, don't ever mention spaghetti sauce recipes in their presence.....
Hmmm, I would be interested in a couple of good ones. :)
You would have to talk to my wife, who doesn't like her mother's sauce, which of course is the sauce from my wife's paternal ancestors not her maternal ancestors.

When Italian women marry, in addition to losing their last name, they also have to vow to never make their family's sauce again, and instead make the husband's family sauce.

Mediterranean machismo Paternalistic social Darwinism! :(
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: if you can't whip 5 WOP jokes off the top of your head with no notice, ya get no respect!
Well, I never! *huff&puff and vice grip on my pearls* I didn't really grow up with WOP/ethnic jokes, dude. The best I could give you is the observation I made to my father when he was reminiscing about the greaseballs he grew up with. I said, "Look, you grew up with people named Salvatoria and Luigi and Vincenzo and Aldo while I grew up with people named Cole, Chrissy, Bonnie, Bradley, and Clayton...it's like we went from WOP to WASP in one generation flat." :P
:D Sounds like you had a deprived childhood, no wonder yer so angry. :( I'll bet yer dad knows a few! :P

here's a primer (Warning: some of the micro-aggressions are huge!):

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=de ... sts+videos
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: You would have to talk to my wife, who doesn't like her mother's sauce, which of course is the sauce from my wife's paternal ancestors not her maternal ancestors.
(
SM and folks,

Not everyone knows this, but fresh pasta tastes better without sauce. Durum wheat, cooked in water with a little salt, has a beautiful nutty taste which is ruined by just about every sauce and pesto. After draining, a knob of butter goes well, and some fresh French bread too. Hold the Parmesan. :)

Alex.
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: You would have to talk to my wife, who doesn't like her mother's sauce, which of course is the sauce from my wife's paternal ancestors not her maternal ancestors.
(
SM and folks,

Not everyone knows this, but fresh pasta tastes better without sauce. Durum wheat, cooked in water with a little salt, has a beautiful nutty taste which is ruined by just about every sauce and pesto. After draining, a knob of butter goes well, and some fresh French bread too. Hold the Parmesan. :)

Alex.
Amen. Especially my mother in law's sauce. Even her daughter doesn't like it.

wow! Talk about a macro aggression. no wonder you guys are always at each other's throats. ;)

Heaven:
The cooks are French.
The mechanics are German.
The administrators are Swiss.
The lovers are Italian.
The police are English.

Heaven:
The cooks are English.
The mechanics are French.
The administrators are Italians.
The lovers are Swiss.
The police are German.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I see Donald Trump has started a new bout of birtherism. :)

Alex.
Doc

Post by Doc »

manolo wrote:Folks,

I see Donald Trump has started a new bout of birtherism. :)

Alex.
Apparently the question revolves around when Cruz's mother became a Canadian Citizen therefore automatically renouncing her US citizenship by the laws of the time. IE Before or after Cruz was born.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Republicrat debate last night.

Any winners? Losers?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Republicrat debate last night.

Any winners? Losers?
Saw a TV news report this AM. They did not mention the main candidates at all. They just discussed what the undercard candidates tweeted.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ted Cruz’s Goldman Sachs Problem

[...]

It was also well known in political circles that Cruz’s wife, Heidi, is an investment banker and a longtime employee of Goldman Sachs, a firm that has come to symbolize—fairly or unfairly—the power and influence of Wall Street. According to a March, 2015, article in USA Today, Heidi Cruz joined Goldman in 2005 and ran its Houston wealth-management unit, which, the report said, “handles portfolios for clients with an average net worth of $40 million.” Last spring, she took an unpaid leave of absence from Goldman to work on her husband’s campaign.

Cruz, evidently, didn’t see any contradiction between his family’s ties to Wall Street and the political positions he was taking on the stump. He even acknowledged, when asked about the company earlier this year, that Goldman is a member of the dastardly cartel that’s bilking the American people. “Like many other players on Wall Street and big business, they seek out and get special favors from government,” he said, according to an investigative story in the Times.

Going into tonight’s G.O.P. debate, in South Carolina, the Times story is the talk of the political class. The author, Mike McIntire, revealed that, in 2012, Cruz used a loan that his wife took out from Goldman to help to finance his successful Senate campaign, during which he honed his reputation as a critic of bank bailouts and corporate cronyism. The Goldman loan, which was for between two hundred and fifty thousand and half a million dollars, wasn’t disclosed to the Federal Election Commission, as it should have been. Rather than publicly acknowledging its existence, Cruz subsequently told reporters that he and his wife had liquidated practically all of their personal savings to help pay for the campaign.

Based on McIntire’s inspection of the annual ethics reports that Cruz and other Senators are obliged to file, which require them to list all of the assets they own, this appears to have been a fib. In addition to taking out the loan from Goldman in 2012, which was a margin loan attached to a brokerage account, the Cruzes took out a credit line, of similar size, from Citibank. Between the beginning and end of 2012, the value of the cash and securities that the family owned didn’t diminish to zero, or anything near it. Rather, it “saw a net increase of as much as $400,000,” McIntire reported.

[...]
Ooops!
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Any winners? Losers?
Yep, watched it. No clear winners. Mostly a boring, ugly exchange of pettiness and venom between Trump and Cruz. I'd give Cruz a slight edge, he is a smarter and craftier sociopath than Trump. Pessimism, acrimony, and anger seem to define this GOP primary battle. No clear losers, other than the nation. These characters try to outdo each other in breast thumping aggression and nastiness. Not exactly appealing to the "better angels of our nature" to borrow Lincoln's phrase from his first inaugural .
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

kmich wrote:

Any winners? Losers?
Yep, watched it. No clear winners. Mostly a boring, ugly exchange of pettiness and venom between Trump and Cruz. I'd give Cruz a slight edge, he is a smarter and craftier sociopath than Trump. Pessimism, acrimony, and anger seem to define this GOP primary battle. No clear losers, other than the nation. These characters try to outdo each other in breast thumping aggression and nastiness. Not exactly appealing to the "better angels of our nature" to borrow Lincoln's phrase from his first inaugural .

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/15/10775552/i ... bate-boats

Now here's Sen. Marco Rubio, describing the Obama administration's dealings with Iran as bad not because of any harm he mentions to the United States or its interests, but rather on grounds that are purely about emotion and theater: Obama's pride is insufficient, and he is not imposing himself on the foreign countries that we dislike.

"Barack Obama believes America is an arrogant global power that needs to be cut down to size," Rubio said. "That is how you get a foreign policy where we cut deals with our enemies like Iran and we betray our allies like Israel and we gut our military and we go around the world like he has done on 10 separate occasions and apologized for America."

Donald Trump, as he often does, put it all the most plainly, in describing what he says was a campaign event with construction workers who were weeping with wounded pride: "They were watching the humiliation of our young 10 sailors, sitting on the floor with their knees in a begging position, their hands up, and Iranian wiseguys having guns to their heads. It was a terrible sight. A terrible sight."

There are many more such examples, but you get the point here. The candidates were obsessed with the perceived slight to American dignity, which they saw as demanding, if not a military response, then at least vague promises of making America's posture toward Iran more belligerent and hostile.

Even the moderators got in on it, with Neil Cavuto at one point telling Jeb Bush, "For the third time in as many months, the Iranians have provoked us." That the incident had begun with American sailors cruising into another country's sovereign waters was irrelevant. That it had been resolved quickly and peacefully was irrelevant. All that mattered was that it was possible to read the incident as personally embarrassing for the sailors involved, or in some way damaging to American pride.

kmich

Post by kmich »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
kmich wrote:

Any winners? Losers?

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/15/10775552/i ... bate-boats

Now here's Sen. Marco Rubio, describing the Obama administration's dealings with Iran as bad not because of any harm he mentions to the United States or its interests, but rather on grounds that are purely about emotion and theater: Obama's pride is insufficient, and he is not imposing himself on the foreign countries that we dislike.

"Barack Obama believes America is an arrogant global power that needs to be cut down to size," Rubio said. "That is how you get a foreign policy where we cut deals with our enemies like Iran and we betray our allies like Israel and we gut our military and we go around the world like he has done on 10 separate occasions and apologized for America."

Donald Trump, as he often does, put it all the most plainly, in describing what he says was a campaign event with construction workers who were weeping with wounded pride: "They were watching the humiliation of our young 10 sailors, sitting on the floor with their knees in a begging position, their hands up, and Iranian wiseguys having guns to their heads. It was a terrible sight. A terrible sight."

There are many more such examples, but you get the point here. The candidates were obsessed with the perceived slight to American dignity, which they saw as demanding, if not a military response, then at least vague promises of making America's posture toward Iran more belligerent and hostile.

Even the moderators got in on it, with Neil Cavuto at one point telling Jeb Bush, "For the third time in as many months, the Iranians have provoked us." That the incident had begun with American sailors cruising into another country's sovereign waters was irrelevant. That it had been resolved quickly and peacefully was irrelevant. All that mattered was that it was possible to read the incident as personally embarrassing for the sailors involved, or in some way damaging to American pride.
Yes, it is all rather ridiculous as well as crazy dangerous and totally unnecessary. A vessel breaking down in international waters and then subsequently drifting into territorial waters has a protocol. The Iranians followed it. I remember dealing with wayward civilian craft that were common in the Caribbean when I was in the Navy that we were sent after to retrieve from the Cubans. They wouldn’t even bring them ashore. Their gunboats would just tell them to open sail and wait for the wind to shift to bring them back out to sea. I am sure Marco would have some chest thumping asinine rant about Cuba on that..
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Trump, Sanders and Paul realize politics has changed. The others are working from obsolete playbooks.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

What would be the response then to this incident?

Besides chest dumping?

Cancel the nuclear agreement?

Declare war?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Trump, Sanders and Paul realize politics has changed. The others are working from obsolete playbooks.
My overseas perception is that US politics has indeed change, although not necessarily for the better.

Reason | Trump's Muslim Ban is a Vile Joke That GOP Contenders Don't Have the Guts to Take On
The answer obviously is that they are afraid of Trump. Trump, as Abdul Jabbar has pointed out, is ISIS’s greatest triumph. “[He’s the] perfect Manchurian Candidate who, instead of offering specific and realistic policies, preys on the fears of the public, doing ISIS’s job for them.”

This callow man has infiltrated the Republican Party and turned it into the party of gloom and doom. It remains to be seen if he’ll go much further. Regardless, given that his fear-mongering is now setting the GOP’s tune, it should rename itself the CLP (Chicken Little Party).
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Is there a remote possibility that these laputa elections work out therapeutic? They could if Trump will be the POTUS and all his quick fix big talk evaporates in thin air. Another failing Messiah.

What might be changing is that people wake up to the debilitating stranglehold of the bipolar two-party system that is coming to roost.

POTUS Trump in the mean time would leave the GOP in disarray, but it won't make the Dems look bright and shiny either. He is a guy who doesn't like loosing... so as a POTUS he may in fact behave very cautious, reluctant to start something with unpredictable results. He might then change his tune from Big Mouth Messiah... to just being a Realist.

The man has already shown to be able to dress himself with different positions depending on his role. As a businessman he just bribed politicians "as all corporate business do" but in his new role as a POTUS Prospectus he says it is bad that business buys politics in the USA. A 180% degrees opposite opinion!

People apparently don't mind his non-principled flip flopping, i.e. for as long as he is able to project himself as the winner. I doubt POTUS Trump will ever start a fight he can't win and might in the end be praised for his inaction. At that point he might inspire people to a new politics of moderation.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Trump, Sanders and Paul realize politics has changed. The others are working from obsolete playbooks.

http://lobelog.com/republicans-self-def ... an-policy/

Doc

Post by Doc »

So does Jeb Bush Just the other day someone ask Jeb how to circumcise Trump Jeb replied "You can't. There's no end to that prick"
kmich

Post by kmich »

Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

About Ted Cruz: one of his many Wall Street fundraisers was held at the home of someone I know, a managing director at one of the big 3 investment banks who oversees exotic derivatives as well as an algo options trading desk. He is old money from Europe, his wife is the daughter of a legendary hedge fund billionaire, and together they own tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of Manhattan real estate.

They must embody Ted Cruz's values; why else would he spend so much time chumming it up with them? I almost feel sorry for all the Rube-publicans pinning their hopes on this sleezeball. Almost.
Heracleum Persicum

Why do so many Republicans dislike Jeb Bush ?
"I think the country has had enough of them,"

“I just feel sometimes that I have more zip at 81 than he does,” DeHart said.

“What did Donald say? He’s ‘low-energy.’ It’s exactly right,” she added, referring to GOP front-runner Donald Trump’s criticism of Bush. “It looks like he needs someone to walk up from behind him and give him a little nudge.”

:lol:

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote:About Ted Cruz: one of his many Wall Street fundraisers was held at the home of someone I know, a managing director at one of the big 3 investment banks who oversees exotic derivatives as well as an algo options trading desk. He is old money from Europe, his wife is the daughter of a legendary hedge fund billionaire, and together they own tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of Manhattan real estate.

They must embody Ted Cruz's values; why else would he spend so much time chumming it up with them? I almost feel sorry for all the Rube-publicans pinning their hopes on this sleezeball. Almost.
Whatever validity there is to the point you are trying to make, anyone from the party of Hillary and Bill Clinton never has any grounds, ever, to call someone else a sleazeball.

Ever.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:About Ted Cruz: one of his many Wall Street fundraisers was held at the home of someone I know, a managing director at one of the big 3 investment banks who oversees exotic derivatives as well as an algo options trading desk. He is old money from Europe, his wife is the daughter of a legendary hedge fund billionaire, and together they own tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of Manhattan real estate.

Whatever validity there is to the point you are trying to make, anyone from the party of Hillary and Bill Clinton never has any grounds, ever, to call someone else a sleazeball.

Ever.
Absolutely.

To call Ted Cruz a sleaze ball is a grossly unfair maligning of sleaze balls round the world.

Same applies to the gang that couldn't shoot straight - the Bush II Neocons.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: To call Ted Cruz a sleaze ball is a grossly unfair maligning of sleaze balls round the world.
Why.
Same applies to the gang that couldn't shoot straight - the Bush II Neocons.
Fortunately for my party they were replaced by folks who shot even more crooked.
Censorship isn't necessary